Code of Conduct

Default Parfums de Nicolai - Vanille Tonka and Maharadja.

I just tried Maharadja and Vanille Tonka from my samples and both are quite beautiful.

Vanille Tonka reminds me a little of Jicky/Mouchoir de Monsieur in the top blast. I find it luscious and creamy without the gourmand sweetness (a little like hypnotic poison perhaps?). I get a fresh citrus in the opening and vanilla and frankincense in its beautiful dry down. It is so unobtrusive on your skin. So comforting and very unisex.

Maharadja is a beautiful lavender but it disappears on my skin almost immediately! I love the lavender and spice blend. It reminds me of another perfume but I am unable to quite place it yet.

Both of these have very poor longevity and stays very very close to the skin. It is so faint that you have to literally put your nose to the skin to get a whiff.

I am wondering of this is due to the quality of my samples or are they really like this? What do you guys think of these two? They do not seem to be so popular.

What are some of the others that are worth exploring from this house aside from New York and Odalisque?

Thank you.

Default Re: Parfums de Nicolai - Vanille Tonka and Maharadja.

I also own sample of Maharadjah. To me it is strongly resembling Musc Ravageur opening. Also I dont have longevity issues. Very underrated here IMO.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I get a bit of Musc Ravaguer in the opening too!

How is the sillage?

Maharadjah is very nice. I have 19 PdN in my collection. Cedrat Intense, New York, Baladin, Chic are some of the many good ones this house offers IMO.

I love Maharadja. A cinnamon and lavender oriental, really quite unique. Your probably having trouble with the longevity of the lavender, I think it's just the nature of the beast - like citrus notes, natural lavender just doesn't last that long. I have a Maharadja candle, and it really fills the room up with the lavender/cinnamon accord quite fully. Interesting about the MR comparison, I never thought of it before, but I can see the similarity. MR's opening accord has been called the "Cinnabon" of the fragrance world.

I have never tried the two you mention - they sound very interesting, next time in Paris... (I did smell the Maharadjah parfum d'ambiance, a nice spicy oriental)

From the house, I also love, and own, Vie de Chateau (light leather floral), Temps d'une fete (green floral), and Patchouli homme (clean patch). All with great sillage and longevity, by the way. I also own Cologne sologne, a fresh, neroli prominent eau de cologne for quick refreshment.

cacio

Mauboussin Homme EdP is similar to Maharadjah, but the spices are more subdued and it is not as sweet.

Hednic - how is the sillage for you?

Kevin - I must get the candle! Thanks for the tip.

Cacio - Patchouli homme sounds interesting. Any resemblance to Givenchy Gentleman?

Marais - I will have to order a sample of Mauboussin Homme. I hope its lack of sweetness does not mean more incense or smokiness.

No love for Vanille Tonka, eh?

BTW, has anyone tried Maharani?

cannavoidtrite:

I don't remember Givenchy gentleman well. But I doubt they're too close. Patch home is more directly patch, but clean woody, somewhat spicy, and with no sweetness at all.

cacio

I think I will try to get bottles of both and samples of her other fragrances.

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by cannotavoidtrite View Post
    Marais - I will have to order a sample of Mauboussin Homme. I hope its lack of sweetness does not mean more incense or smokiness.
    I don't detect any smoke in this one.

I am on record as a non-fan of vanilla. However, I own a bottle of PdN's Vanille Tonka and use it with some frequency. It has no evidence of a sweet-foody vibe, which I loathe. The hook in this frag that trapped me was the combination of lime with frankincense - genius, totally got my lasting attention.

I own both older versions and they have great sillage and longevity.

I get lots of spice from Maharaja, unfortunately lavender will not stay on my skin.
    Vanille Tonka not overly sweet thick rich. I hate vanilla which has that ultra fudge sweet thing going on.
    DONNA