Code of Conduct

Default Eau de Cheval - Scent memories

This past weekend, my husband and I visited a local riding stable and they permitted us to walk through the barns, say hello to the horses, pet a few noses . When I was a girl, my sister had a horse and I would assist her with grooming, cleaning the stalls and tack and exercising the horses she was responsible for. Those memories are more than thirty years old. As soon as I walked onto the grounds of the stables this weekend, I was flooded with those childhood memories, wafting on the amazing mixture of hay, manure, earth and horse piss - it may sound inelegant, but it was gorgeous!

What fragrances should I explore that are evocative of this experience? And does anyone have scent memories they wish to share? I suspect that Frou Frou and Larimar may have some thoughts on this....
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Default Re: Eau de Cheval - Scent memories

Just briefly, I would suggest you look into L'Heure Fougueuse by Mathilde Laurent. She explicitly mentions 'horse mane' accord in this one and although it is a very refined piece of work it is also quite evocative (it sends me off to a summer in NZ helping collect hay). I also like Dzing, which is 'different but similar' but I imagine you are familiar this one.

I also recommend Dzing!, I have not had much experience with horses, but that's what you describe, and in fact the inspiration was the circus. Dzing! is leathery (like animal skin), but also musky, and with a vanillic aspect reminiscent of the hay and ground cover of animal enclosures.

cacio

I defenitely agree with Dzing! Another scent you might enjoy is SL Musc Koubläi khan. Very fecal,but defenitely has that horsefur feeling to it

Dzing!, indeed. Plus Bal a Versailles and Lonestar Memories.

Let Me Play the Lion would also be worth a try - no stables there though, but a lion's mane heated by the Sun and mingled with sand.

Dzing! is a good call, definitely! I have worn Tabac Blond, L'Heure Bleue PdT and Jicky to the stables. So yes, something 'slightly animalic' is a good match IMO. Don't forget the Habit Rouge ad!

I am brought to mind the fragrance Brandy, inspired by a horse. Easily bought in many tack/supply catalogues!

http://www.brandyparfums.com/products.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Ooooh, yes... the wonderful smell of the barn!!! What fine memories... I haven't had a horse (or ridden much) for 6 years and it feels like an eternity. As a girl, I had a particular martingale that smelled so fantastic, I always brought it home "to clean" and left it hanging in my bedroom to enjoy the smell! It's nice to share this with people who can probably relate, lol... I always felt a little weird sniffing the tack!

I've never smelled it, but Demeter makes a "Stable" perfume. I'm not overly impressed with what I have sampled from Demeter, so I didn't go out of my way to find it, but it may be worth a try. I'm definitely adding the others mentioned here to my sniff list! Thanks for the great thread everyone!!!!

Cuir de Russie, Opus III and Bal a Versailles have a horsey vibe to me.
    The smell of a sweaty horse is my idea of heaven.
    I'm eager to try L'Heure Fougueuse.

Eau de Cheval includes leather, saddle soap, Stockholm tar, mane and tail shampoo with a soupçon of chicken poop! As well as straw, hay, grass, horse sweat, human sweat, oats and the smell of the boiling copper making bran mash or barley water. Bliss. Optional extras would be early morning dew on crocus, daffodils and narcissi, spring leaves, sticky buds, catkins and dog.

If anyone finds or makes this holy grail please share

I think of the soft noses of horses, just between the nostrils, and a kiss on broad cheeks, and the smell of an old saddle!

Cuir Pleine Fleur?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Great suggestions and beautiful descriptions and images...thanks, everybody! I'd like to choose all of Alityke's optional extras!
    Funny, I don't think I've tried very many of these scents, in particular, Dzing! Cuir de Russie and the Guerlains that Larimar mentions, I do love.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Peau d'Espagne by Santa Maria Novella.

More reminiscent of a freshly crafted saddle.

for swap/sale:

It finally came to me: Amazone by Hermes!!

(Also, I think Habit Rouge can be worn by women)

This image of the amazone comes to mind!

http://a10.idata.over-blog.com/1/21/...e-fourches.jpg