Code of Conduct

Default A masculine osmanthus?

Anyone have recommendations for a masculine osmanthus? Or even something that is easily unisex.

It seems to be one of my favorite floral notes.
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 23rd February 2012 at 02:16 PM.

Default Re: A masculine osmanthus?

Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermes

Have three currently in my collection with the note in the title. Don't know how you would view them.

Osmanthus by The Different Company
    Osmanthus Interdite by Parfums D'Empire

SL Nuit de Cellophane, 2nd TDC Osmanthus, OJ Osmanthus. Paired with oud: Mona di Orio Oud.

+1 Hermessence. It has a note of black tea, which seems perfect for men too.

cacio

+1 for The Different Company Osmanthus

I think this note is open to more use as a featured partner with other notes than we get to see.

The TDC & Hermes are lovely, albeit pretty straight ahead, Daim Blond and one or two others use it as part of a suede accord. I think I have seen osmanthus used in more varied ways in Chinese Desserts than perfumes, actually I would like to check out Parfums d'Empire's take on it.

I think it could work really well with something dark, green, smoky - drop it into a Memoir Man type thing. Oud also sounds like a contender as a dancing partner - makes sense to me.

These two fragrances are noticeably osmanthus in formula while they wear the name of the sexier bold notes - oud & patchouli

L' Artisan Parfumeur Patchouli Patch - osmanthus is the principal note to backdrop patchouli in this scent.
    Mona di Orio Oud EDP Intense - utilizes Osmanthus Absolute to provide the fuzzy sueded mid notes to provide a soft landing for oud.

I love TDC Osmanthus and wear it without a problem, but it does play a bit on the feminine side.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    +1 My first thought on osmanthus.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Thanks for the many recommendations. I tested Osmanthe Yunnan and was thoroughly impressed with it, but thought I would prefer it on a lady. I will try it again, and see if I can like it for myself.

I do appreciate the many other recommendations. I will try as many of these as I can.

Banned

Osmanthus by The Different Company is a soapy composition, but it may be too sweet for you. Nonetheless, I feel its architecture leans toward the masculine side more so than Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermes.

IMO Osmanthus is one of the most feminine notes in perfumery. Osmanthe Yunnan is terrific and, personally, I don't have any problem to pull it off, but when thinking about the fragrance, "masculine" is the last adjective that comes to mind. That being said, the only masculine fragrance listing osmanthus that I know, is Donna Karan DK For Men

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Another vote for The Different Company
    Gary

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    IMO Osmanthus is one of the most feminine notes in perfumery. Osmanthe Yunnan is terrific and, personally, I don't have any problem to pull it off, but when thinking about the fragrance, "masculine" is the last adjective that comes to mind. That being said, the only masculine fragrance listing osmanthus that I know, is Donna Karan DK For Men
    I totally agree with alfarom. Osmanthus is a huge floral note. It is what it is.

scentsitivity - have you smelled Une Crime Exotique by Parfumerie Generale? It's a gourmand with a unique floral (osmanthus) accord in the middle of it. I thoroughly enjoyed it when I sampled it years ago.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

scentsitivity - have you smelled Une Crime Exotique by Parfumerie Generale? It's a gourmand with a unique floral (osmanthus) accord in the middle of it. I thoroughly enjoyed it when I sampled it years ago.
    No, I haven't. I will have to try it sometime soon!

Today I am testing Isabey's L’Ambre de Carthage, which has the following notes, per Luckyscent:

Cistus, Bergamot , Osmanthus, Jasmine Tea, Patchouli, Amber, Sandalwood, Olibanum, Musk

An EdP which Luckyscent lists as a masculine. I would the osmanthus definitely comes out here. I would say this is unisex. A bit tart on my skin. Seems to stay close to the skin as well. Not especially pleasing to me.

Interesting notes in that one, and I am intruegued by the tea note. Seems like it would be overpowered by the other notes listed though.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Searching for a split or travel sprayer of Frederic Malle Une Rose!

When I smell jasmine tea, it is tea overwhelmed by jasmine. The florals outshine the tea here.