Code of Conduct

Default A masculine osmanthus?

Anyone have recommendations for a masculine osmanthus? Or even something that is easily unisex.

It seems to be one of my favorite floral notes.
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 23rd February 2012 at 02:16 PM.
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

Default Re: A masculine osmanthus?

Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermes

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Have three currently in my collection with the note in the title. Don't know how you would view them.

Osmanthus by The Different Company
    Osmanthus Interdite by Parfums D'Empire

SL Nuit de Cellophane, 2nd TDC Osmanthus, OJ Osmanthus. Paired with oud: Mona di Orio Oud.

+1 Hermessence. It has a note of black tea, which seems perfect for men too.

cacio

+1 for The Different Company Osmanthus
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Mazzolari

I think this note is open to more use as a featured partner with other notes than we get to see.

The TDC & Hermes are lovely, albeit pretty straight ahead, Daim Blond and one or two others use it as part of a suede accord. I think I have seen osmanthus used in more varied ways in Chinese Desserts than perfumes, actually I would like to check out Parfums d'Empire's take on it.

I think it could work really well with something dark, green, smoky - drop it into a Memoir Man type thing. Oud also sounds like a contender as a dancing partner - makes sense to me.

These two fragrances are noticeably osmanthus in formula while they wear the name of the sexier bold notes - oud & patchouli

L' Artisan Parfumeur Patchouli Patch - osmanthus is the principal note to backdrop patchouli in this scent.
    Mona di Orio Oud EDP Intense - utilizes Osmanthus Absolute to provide the fuzzy sueded mid notes to provide a soft landing for oud.
    favorites: santo incienso • azemour les oranger • eau de neroli dore • cedro di taormina • byredo rodeo • le sillage blanc • piccadilly '69 • byredo la botte • monsieur houbigant musk • bibliothetique • sammarco bond-t • Issara •

I love TDC Osmanthus and wear it without a problem, but it does play a bit on the feminine side.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    +1 My first thought on osmanthus.
    "...put on clothes that are well-scented with incense. Even if you’re somewhere where no one special will see you, you still feel a heady sense of pleasure inside." Things that make your heart beat fast (translated by Meredith McKinney), Sei Shonagon. The Pillow Book.

"The sunset is deeper and longer. The scent of the jasmine is stronger." Miracles. Pet Shop Boys

Thanks for the many recommendations. I tested Osmanthe Yunnan and was thoroughly impressed with it, but thought I would prefer it on a lady. I will try it again, and see if I can like it for myself.

I do appreciate the many other recommendations. I will try as many of these as I can.

Banned

Osmanthus by The Different Company is a soapy composition, but it may be too sweet for you. Nonetheless, I feel its architecture leans toward the masculine side more so than Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermes.

Power Where You Need It

IMO Osmanthus is one of the most feminine notes in perfumery. Osmanthe Yunnan is terrific and, personally, I don't have any problem to pull it off, but when thinking about the fragrance, "masculine" is the last adjective that comes to mind. That being said, the only masculine fragrance listing osmanthus that I know, is Donna Karan DK For Men

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Another vote for The Different Company
    Gary

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    IMO Osmanthus is one of the most feminine notes in perfumery. Osmanthe Yunnan is terrific and, personally, I don't have any problem to pull it off, but when thinking about the fragrance, "masculine" is the last adjective that comes to mind. That being said, the only masculine fragrance listing osmanthus that I know, is Donna Karan DK For Men
    I totally agree with alfarom. Osmanthus is a huge floral note. It is what it is.

scentsitivity - have you smelled Une Crime Exotique by Parfumerie Generale? It's a gourmand with a unique floral (osmanthus) accord in the middle of it. I thoroughly enjoyed it when I sampled it years ago.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

scentsitivity - have you smelled Une Crime Exotique by Parfumerie Generale? It's a gourmand with a unique floral (osmanthus) accord in the middle of it. I thoroughly enjoyed it when I sampled it years ago.
    No, I haven't. I will have to try it sometime soon!

Today I am testing Isabey's L’Ambre de Carthage, which has the following notes, per Luckyscent:

Cistus, Bergamot , Osmanthus, Jasmine Tea, Patchouli, Amber, Sandalwood, Olibanum, Musk

An EdP which Luckyscent lists as a masculine. I would the osmanthus definitely comes out here. I would say this is unisex. A bit tart on my skin. Seems to stay close to the skin as well. Not especially pleasing to me.

Interesting notes in that one, and I am intruegued by the tea note. Seems like it would be overpowered by the other notes listed though.
    1. Epic Man by Amouage (33 wears)
    2. Leather Oud by Christian Dior (31 wears)
    3. M7 by Yves Saint Laurent (27 wears)
    4. Oud Imperial (black) by Perris Monte Carlo (22 wears)
    5. Russian Tea Ritual by Masque (20 wears)
    6. Fate Man by Amouage (19 wears)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Currently wearing: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

When I smell jasmine tea, it is tea overwhelmed by jasmine. The florals outshine the tea here.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    When I smell jasmine tea, it is tea overwhelmed by jasmine. The florals outshine the tea here.
    As both a perfume enthusiast and professional perfumer I am among what may already be the majority of perfumers and designers who see all perfumes as being appropriate for any man or woman who likes them and wants to wear them. Thus the sharp increase of entire lines of unisex perfumes, including huge florals. Prior to WWI perfumes were unisex and generally each family bought one bottle to be used by everyone in the family. For some reason after WWI men began to see perfume as too feminine and stopped buying and wearing it. To get men to start again they came out with "special" ultra masculine, not sweet, no flowers, probably mega stink bombs that surely no lady would even have a nightmare about wearing, and called them perfumes for men. And with this, the whole can of worms was opened and men's and women's perfumery has been split. But as times have changed the lines between them have grown smaller and smaller to where now we are at at a point were so many perfumes overlap that it's really no longer sensible to launch them as anything but unisex.

Now for a simple answer to the topic question: Dame Perfumery Scottsdale has a wonderful series of soliflores at very affordable prices including Osmanthus. All are for men and women. I recommend them to everyone.

Basenotes Plus

+1 on Mona Di Orio Oud.

Also Parfums de Marly Herod, I know that tobacco is the dominant note, but to me the osmanthus is right behind, especially the first few hours, the floral sweetness doesn't overpower but it certainly is there.
    Current top 5:
    1. Roja UAE
    2. Sospiro Vivace
    2. SHL Generation Homme
    3. ELDO Rien
    4. Brioni EDT
    5. FM French Lover

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post
    +1 on Mona Di Orio Oud.

Also Parfums de Marly Herod, I know that tobacco is the dominant note, but to me the osmanthus is right behind, especially the first few hours, the floral sweetness doesn't overpower but it certainly is there.

+1 for Parfums de Marly Herod...the osmanthus note is one reason that I fell so hard for this one! We have several osmanthus shrubs and few florals are more intoxicating.

Being increasingly convinced that, although listed as feminine, Naturelle Osmanthus by Yves Rocher is actually quite unisex
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

Basenotes Plus

Another good one is Brooklyn Perfume Company Oud
    Current top 5:
    1. Roja UAE
    2. Sospiro Vivace
    2. SHL Generation Homme
    3. ELDO Rien
    4. Brioni EDT
    5. FM French Lover