Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bitter Green Spring or fall vetiver

Guys, I'd like your suggestions for a great vetiver fragrance.

It should be great for the spring and good for fall too
    and it should be bitter greens, nothing sweet! btw im 21

merci

Default Re: Bitter Green Spring or fall vetiver

Guerlain Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by 10dadeo View Post

merci

If you're looking for a vetiver with some modern charm Fat electrician may be what you're looking for. It utilizes a very root-y haitian vetiver, which has some dirty aspects to it as well. Don't get me wrong, it isn't "dirty" per say, it just has a very "body oder" feel to it.
    0% Snobbery - 100% honesty

My two favorites, at opposite ends of the spectrum, are Sycomore (with a hint of woods and smoke), and Vetiver extraordinaire (light, freshest). Both resultely green and fresh, with no hint of sweetness whatsoever.

cacio

Vetiver by Dior

The problem with vetiver is that it always will have some smokiness aspect attached to it, that's vetiver.
    Unless you go for a fake vetiver as such Creed Original Vetiver which IMO is a nice fragrance however does not resembles a based vetiver fragrance at all.
    If you want something fresh, clean for the spring I would recommend you another fragrances (Sorry they are not vetiver based fragrances)

- Annick Goutal - L'eau d'hadrien (fresh and green but not bitter)
    - Sisley - Eau du campagne - The Epitome of the greenish;
    - Frederic Malle - Bois D'Orage or French Lover (It is like walking in a forest after the rain)

Givenchy Vetyver is a green non-sweet vetiver. It has an almost celery like greenness , so might be just what you are looking for. Similar to Guerlain but without the tobacco or soap. Similar to Tom Ford Grey Vetiver but less synthetic smelling. This is my favourite "green" scent, and I believe it was Monsiour Givenchy's signature scent. As a bonus - it is relatively inexpensive!

Quote Originally Posted by 10dadeo View Post

merci
    I never came across a 'bitter' vetiver. And only few would fit the 'green'. Reiterated, there is vetiver, the natural extract and as a chemical derivative vetiveryl acetate. Different chemicals, different smells. First: Givenchy - Vetyver, second Guerlain - Vetiver. Nearly no resemblance!

As 'green' and 'bitter' too I would suggest Paco Rabanne - Metal. It is woody and fresh in a polite way. The 'bitter green' comes from galbanum which is widely known exactly for that. This ingredient was big in the 7ties as far as I know.

edit: as it has been recommended - the Givenchy is not 'green' but develops into a strong nutty affair, hence its 'brown'. The natural sparkle of the root oil is enhanced by aldehydes. Very strong stuff, particularly for the wearer ;-)

Speaking of brown and nutty - Hermes Vetiver Tonka is a vetiver and hazelnutty affair. Hmmm - a bit sweet though.... Someone mentioned Sycomore too - to me this is brown, a little smoky, and very nice.

And for bitter, Tom Ford Grey vetiver is pretty bitter for a vetiver IMHO.

Really, I would sample the Givenchy at least
    Last edited by Sparky; 24th February 2012 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    My two favorites, at opposite ends of the spectrum, are Sycomore (with a hint of woods and smoke), and Vetiver extraordinaire (light, freshest). Both resultely green and fresh, with no hint of sweetness whatsoever.

cacio
    +1. I adore Sycomore but it's not green and fresh for me but always very very smoky. VE on the other hand is very green and crisp.
    I loved Guerlain Vetiver too of the late 90s but supposedly it's not as good now.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

cacio
    When I read the title of the thread, these were the two fragrances that immediately came to mind. Couldn't agree more, cacio.

Sorry, double post.

I find a degree of sweetness in both Guerlain Vetiver and Sycomore (not much though). Both are superb. The Givenchy is drier, as is Encre Noire which is quite bitter and smoky. Vetiver Extraordinaire is dry and green but I seem to have difficulty smelling it after an hour.

For your criteria, I'd suggest the Givenchy.
    He boiled for our sins

For a green try Vetiver Extraordinaire. I feels like some of the green grass blades were also incorporated along with the vetiver root into the perfume.

Another all round green vetiver is Esprit du Roi.

For bitter try Grey Vetiver. The bitterness comes from the grapefruit.
    for swap/sale:

I agree with hedonist on Vetiver Extraordinaire for a very green vetiver.
    Currently wearing: Patchouli by Murdock

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I agree with hedonist on Vetiver Extraordinaire for a very green vetiver.
    I don't want to pick on You. But would You have a clue why I could be asking, what in particular makes the fragrance 'very green'?

I myself was after 'green' vetivers but never got one. Reason: vetiver doesn't seem to be 'green' to me by first principles! If there is any resemblance to something I already know, this would be a) nuts b) licorice c) fresh dug out grass roots. None of these smells 'green'. I doubt 'green' is the correct tag for natural oriented vetiver (Givenchy). The derivative vetiveryl acetate (Guerlain, consecutively many 'fresh' frags up to today) smells just chemical to me, neither 'green' nor 'buzzing' and not 'edgy' ... whatever. Its just what it is: vetiveryl acetate!

Power Where You Need It

If budget is not an issue go for Vetiver Extraordinaire or Sycomore! Otherwise I'd suggest Comme Des Garcons Vettiveru as one of the best bang for the buck.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

One unsung vetiver is Monotheme's Vetiver Bourbon. Bitter and rooty, tempered on top with citrus.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Royal Water by Creed

My gem vetiver is Vetiver Extraordinaire by Malle. A smooth,elegant, delicate (admitting vetiver can be "delicate") texture, almost leathery glove sensation... ok for spring, ok for all seasons, no sweet, a wonderful bitter orange in the top.A bit of salt and pepper and yes, it's a green vetiver too!

My second one is Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company, a very masculine scent, whiskey and a bright smell of iodine marine, salty and dry..

A nice and modern interpretation can be Vetiver Dance by Tauer, a joyous solar and colorful scent, that plays down our bitter root, not a "pure" vetiver, it appears and disappears, indeed we have a Vetiver Dance!

So, @10dadeo - what do you make of all that? Things clearer for you now? lol

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    I don't want to pick on You. But would You have a clue why I could be asking, what in particular makes the fragrance 'very green'?

I myself was after 'green' vetivers but never got one. Reason: vetiver doesn't seem to be 'green' to me by first principles! If there is any resemblance to something I already know, this would be a) nuts b) licorice c) fresh dug out grass roots. None of these smells 'green'. I doubt 'green' is the correct tag for natural oriented vetiver (Givenchy). The derivative vetiveryl acetate (Guerlain, consecutively many 'fresh' frags up to today) smells just chemical to me, neither 'green' nor 'buzzing' and not 'edgy' ... whatever. Its just what it is: vetiveryl acetate!
    Yes normally Vetiver smells rooty. Astringent in nature.
    Vetiver Extraordinaire is certainly the greenest Vetiver.
    By green I mean it smells like the liquid from freshly cut stem or blade of grass.
    for swap/sale:

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but Racine is a wonderful citrus-vetiver that dries down to a beautiful dry, grassy vetiver.

Farmacia SS Anunziata's Vetyver Incenso, maybe.

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Farmacia SS Anunziata's Vetyver Incenso, maybe.
    How could I have missed this one? Can you please describe it Nasenmann?

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    How could I have missed this one? Can you please describe it Nasenmann?
    Unfortunately I have only sniffed it briefly yet. It starts off very citrusy, not unlike current Guerlain Vetiver but better (less shrill). Then it gets more woody although the vetiver note itself is more of the grassy variety, imo. Then the frankincense comes into play, which adds an interesting counterpart but doesn't get dominant either, instead the fragrance is more on the light and airy side but not summery (for lack of a better description) - it's not heavy or a sillage bomb but it's also not overly youthful or joking around either. There something elegantly spicy in the base too. In fact, I'd say it's pretty well balanced on multiple levels - sampling recommended.
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 24th February 2012 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Otherwise I'd suggest Comme Des Garcons Vettiveru as one of the best bang for the buck.
    I'll second that!

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Unfortunately I have only sniffed it briefly yet. It starts off very citrusy, not unlike current Guerlain Vetiver but better (less shrill). Then it gets more woody although the vetiver note itself is more of the grassy variety, imo. Then the frankincense comes into play, which adds an interesting counterpart but doesn't get dominant either, instead the fragrance is more on the light and airy side but not summery (for lack of a better description) - it's not heavy or a sillage bomb but it's also not overly youthful or joking around either. In fact, I'd say it's pretty well balanced on multiple levels.
    Sounds interesting. I'm wondering how it compares to fragrances such as French Lover, CDG2Man or even Bois D'Encens...anyone?

Malle VE

It's not very close to French Lover and CdG2Man, don't know about Bois D'Encens. In terms of "texture" it maybe comparable with French Lover sans the raspiness of pepper. Nothing waxy in sight but the incense is also in 2 Man. There's something elegantly spicy in the heart/basenotes that reminds me of Vetiver Extraordinaire's topnotes but the vetiver in Vetyver Incenso is thankfully less dominant and high pitched.

I agree. It's a good modern citrus/vetiver that has bitterness and no sweetness.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

For bitter try Grey Vetiver. The bitterness comes from the grapefruit.