Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Let's talk about (gasp) Cool water

Ok so let me preface this by saying that somehow, I've never actually smelled cool water before. Apparently I've been living under a rock or something. Anyways, obviously CW gets a lot of hate on here, perhaps more than any other fragrance. I've heard that it smells quite similar to GIT. I'm sure the experienced nose could easily tell the difference, but the overwhelming opinion seems to be that they smell quite similar. So, how is it possible that 2 similar smelling scents have such drastically different reputations? One is universally praised and the other is ridiculed. I think that there are 2 main reasons that people hate Cool Water other than the scent itself. 1) It's a complete knock off of an older, better quality scent. 2) It has been very common in the past, and often associated with douchebags. Anyways I guess the point of this thread is to ask you, how do you feel about the actual SCENT of CW? try to throw negative associations aside regarding 1) and 2)...I'd like to invest in a fresh scent for spring, but it's hard to justify spending 10 times the money on a scent that is 25% better (at this point, at least). Anyways so to conclude this unnecessarily long post, let me know how you feel about the scent, and whether or not you think it deserves all the hate it gets. Thanks.

Default Re: Let's talk about (gasp) Cool water

It was an innovation in it's time but it now smells very cheap and familiar: the main ingredient, Calone is omnipresent in a huge range of products from deodrants, air fresheners, shampoo and hundreds of cleaning products. It's been assimulated and absorbed into the culture.

Cool Water doesn't smell bad or anything. It just smells very synthetic and chemically. It dries down nicely though.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Do you guys think Azzaro Chrome would be a better choice?

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Cool Water doesn't smell bad or anything. It just smells very synthetic and chemically. It dries down nicely though.
    Agree.

I grew up wearing Cool Water and still own a bottle along with GIT. Even though some may call it dated I love the scent. It's more synthetic and harsher than GIT, but for the price it's really unbeatable.

Basenotes Plus

Nothing wrong with CW, it's hated more than ADG on here. F**k that, if you like it, wear it. Azzaro Chrome is also nice. I've been trying a lot of summer frags lately and the best new ($20) frag I've found is Nautica Voyage. This is where BN is such a great resource. Who knows if I would have ever took the time to try as I have not been a fan of Nautica till now. BN'ers showed this one so much love I thought I would try it. Guess what, they're right !!!!!

It's not my type of frag, but I don't mind smelling it when other people are wearing it.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

I think it smells ok. I just don't want to wear it. Le Male also gets a lot of hate on here, but my wife loves that, so I keep a bottle.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I like it, used to love it. It's a little synthetic, and to me dated. Probably wouldn't buy a bottle any time soon, but don't mind smelling it.

Now that I own GIT and am getting familiar with it, I am interested in trying CW again. I remember CW having nice topnotes but the drydown as being more synthetic and unlike GIT. Anyway I will give it another go and report back.

Basenotes Plus

People tend to exaggerate. I seriously doubt most of them 'hate' cool water. There's really no legitimate reason to hate it.
    What do you get for pretending the danger's not real?
    Meek and obedient you follow the leader
    Down well trodden corridors into the valley of steel.

Get a discount bottle of GIT online. It aint that expensive at all, only if you pay retail.

A burger from a 5-star restaurant is "similar" to a BigMac, but...

Basenotes Junkie

I wear this on a regular basis. I still have plenty of time for it.

Sound Scents

Personally I think the Big Mac versus a 5 star restaurant analogy is way over-the-top. Cool Water is a very pleasant scent that I would have no problem wearing, and did for many years when it first came out. I own and prefer the original (GIT), but I have no hate at all for Cool Water.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I find it a very good fragrance, with a great longevity (10+ hours) for a fresh fragrance.

People compliment me 8 hours later, when i cant smell nothing more on me.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Personally I think the Big Mac versus a 5 star restaurant analogy is way over-the-top. Cool Water is a very pleasant scent that I would have no problem wearing, and did for many years when it first came out. I own and prefer the original (GIT), but I have no hate at all for Cool Water.
    Of course it's over the top - to a degree.

But having discovered GIT, wearing it for a year, and then coming back and giving CW a wearing, I laughed. It's sorta in the same ballpark, but nowhere near. It's not a "fragrance snob" thing, I love and wear quite a few designer scents, it's just the truth - they're not in the same league.

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    Get a discount bottle of GIT online. It aint that expensive at all, only if you pay retail.
    For someone relatively new to fragrances like myself, $170 for a single bottle IS expensive. Who knows though, maybe I will get a sample and it will blow me away.

In Croatia not overworn at all and my number one compliment getter! When starting threads like this one must put under consideration where is he from culturally. For instance, in Croatia Le Male, 1 million, Armani Code, Joop! Pour Homme etc. are overworn. Davidoff Cool Water - not one bit.

I like it. It's not that bad

Blog Entries

I wore it back in the day before I knew about GIT. Just like I wore Joop before I knew about OS
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

I love Cool Water & have no problem admitting it Personally, I own both, and actually prefer CW over Green Irish Tweed. I prefer the lavender/peppermint topnotes over GIT's loud violet leaves and I dislike ambergris, so I also prefer CW's mossy/musky drydown over GIT's ambergris.

With that being said though; my favorite fragrance from this fresh fougere genre, by far, is Bond No 9's Chez Bond. I prefer it over both GIT and CW. To me, Chez Bond is closer to CW than GIT, but has better ingredients, better longevity, and is even a bit sweeter. (all pluses in my book). I tend to like Bond scents quite a bit though. To me they are more like "designer scents on steroids". (They aren't as odd as many niche houses, but instead they take familiar, mass appeal scents and present them with the best ingredients (even if they are synthetics), and awesome edp longevity.

Anyway, I love the fresh/fougere genre, and personally if I were ranking these by my favorites, it would be
    1. Chez Bond
    2. Cool Water
    3. Green Irish Tweed

I love the way Cool Water smells on other people; my dad used to wear it from time to time. I wish I could wear it better, but it just doesn't smell great on me like it does on other people. I will try it again in the future though.

Personally , I find Swiss Army and Wings very similar to Cool Water and like them more.
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

tested CW again yesterday and it seems so watered down compared with back in the 90s. If you like it then wear it. I have moved on though.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    It was an innovation in it's time but it now smells very cheap and familiar: the main ingredient, Calone is omnipresent in a huge range of products from deodrants, air fresheners, shampoo and hundreds of cleaning products. It's been assimulated and absorbed into the culture.
    Actually I don't get any Calone at all from Cool Water. It's got tons of dihydromyrcenol though -- the cheap industrial metallic-floral. Calone is much more aquatic. I was under the impression that Acqua di Gio was the one that really popularized Calone.

I dislike dihydromyrcenol a lot, so CW is not for me. I also dislike GIT, Chez Bond, and all the CW copycats for the same reason.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Cool Water is an excellent scent. I'd say it's the EDT version of GIT, after another company hypothetically bought out Creed and started reformulating all their fragrances.

If you're looking to approximate this sort of GIT-type fresh fougere, I suggest you give Coty's Aspen a look first. It's cheaper and the far drydown is much closer to GIT than the opening of Cool Water is.

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    Cool Water is an excellent scent. I'd say it's the EDT version of GIT, after another company hypothetically bought out Creed and started reformulating all their fragrances.

If you're looking to approximate this sort of GIT-type fresh fougere, I suggest you give Coty's Aspen a look first. It's cheaper and the far drydown is much closer to GIT than the opening of Cool Water is.
    Forgot about Aspen. To my nose it was a piney version of Cool Water.

I didn't read all the posts in this thread so apologies if this has already been addressed :

Is Cool Water Gasp the newest flanker ?
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Aramis New West, Alain Delon Iquitos, Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Oxford & Cambridge, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Cool Water is best designer scent. Best Value for money.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.