Code of Conduct

Default 5 Days, 5 Samples (Ambrarem and more...)

I just got in 5 samples I'm really excited about:

Ambrarem
    Yellow Sea
    Piper Nigrum
    Divine l'Homme Sage
    Silver Mountain Water

I'm going to sample one a day and leave my quick impressions.

Day One: Histoires de Parfums Ambrarem

Allow me to add to the hype machine here--this one's really good--very interesting and fairly complex. The top is vibrant and spciy and there's a leather/petroleum like accord that is balanced with some light florals. Beneath all that there's a smooth amber base that is dark and animalic but also very pleasant. There's some vanilla as well. This scent is constantly evolving and every time I've sniffed it I've picked up on something different. Projection is great. I will definitely sample this again.

Part of the base (maybe the bottom bottom base) reminds me of Invasion Barbare.
    Last edited by Buysblind; 4th February 2012 at 03:52 PM.

Default Re: 5 Days, 5 Samples (Ambrarem and more...)

I'm looking forward to reading your reviews.
    I very much enjoyed your previous thread where you were reviewing and eliminating a host of samples - your style is informative and easy to read.
    However, you may well have already put me off Ambrarem!! I really struggle to come to terms with animalic notes in a fragrance. I'm going to keep trying though!

Quote Originally Posted by HDD8 View Post
    I'm looking forward to reading your reviews.
    I very much enjoyed your previous thread where you were reviewing and eliminating a host of samples - your style is informative and easy to read.
    However, you may well have already put me off Ambrarem!! I really struggle to come to terms with animalic notes in a fragrance. I'm going to keep trying though!
    Don't get the wrong impression though. It's not 'gross' b.o./ unshowered body parts animalic (sorry to disappoint the rest of you),or funky or sour in any way, the best way I can describe it is 'warm skin'--which actually sounds pretty gross but is not.

Awaiting to see what you think of Yellow Sea.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Awaiting to see what you think of Yellow Sea.
    Me too, hednic. It's the one I believe I will like the most. It's also the one sample that hasn't arrived yet...so I'm thinking the Yellow Sea review won't come till Day 5.

Good stuff Buysblind. Will follow with interest!!!!!

Day Two: Piper Nigrum

Oooooh...I like this!

A very bright, fresh and spicy concoction. I love the way it opens with lots of fresh mint and pepper. In fact the mint is fantastic, and reminds me a lot of the mint opening in Roadster, however it feels even more natural and the volume is turned down on it to allow it to mingle with the spices. This is NOT a dark fragrance as I had expected--it's very much the opposite. Nor is it challenging. The word 'effervescent' comes to mind when describing it. Now, I only put it on 15 minutes ago, so I'm hoping this fresh, lively quality persists for some time. I'll report on that before I review my next sample. Anyway, this is the 3rd Villoresi fragrance I've tried (Uomo--which I own, and Yerbamate, being the other two) and now I can definitely detect a "Villoresi trademark" of some kind that the fragrances share. They have this very natural, alive quality to them which tends to transport you outdoors--whether it be to a field or meadow or garden or forest, etc. If you're into that kind of thing and are looking for something bright and spicy, Piper Nigrum could be an excellent choice. I can imagine I will pick up a bottle of this come spring, as I can see it blending perfectly with that time of year.

Impressive.

Great to see you posting your sampling experiences again. I felt like I was forced to suffer through withdrawals when your previous adventure came to an end.

Day 3: Divine L'Homme Sage

Strange. I don't necessarily like it immediately, but it is an interesting scent, and it's hard to put my finger on it. It opens with an accord that reminds me of dried, dusty, candied fruit. The fruit itself isn't sweet, but it's candied, and that accounts for the sweetness. The other day I ate a candied date and it kind of reminds me of that. As it dries down the depth of the fruit recedes and a slightly powdery, dry incense emerges. It's on the warm side, but the warmth is offset by the dryness. If you took Frapin 1270, combined it with Ambre Narguile, then sucked all the moisture out of the juice and replaced it with dry incense it may come out something like L'Homme Sage.

I can't definitively say weather I like it or not, I'm still trying to figure it out, and think it will take some time...it's very possible it's one of those ones that really grows on you over time.

Intriguing.

Day 4: Silver Mountain Water

Seriously, what's all the fuss about?

I like the way this opens. I like the ink note, the little black currant I can pick up on. It's fresh. There might be a bit of a cool metallic feel to it....but I'm expecting more. It seems kind of thin to me, and it disappears pretty quickly. I might pick up a bottle of this if it cost under $40. But SMW is expensive, and this really seems to be missing something given the price. I like my bottle of Izod for men too, but that's 20 bucks. And I think I get just as much out of it as I do with SMW.

I don't know, I'll give it another shot on another day, could be my nose is off today. I was ready to go blind on some SMW last week. But I need more than what I'm getting out of it today. I'll wear it to work tomorrow and see what happens.

Day 5: M. Micallef: Yellow Sea

Well, I'm still waiting for the sample to arrive but I bought a 100ml tester in the meantime and it has arrived and I've worn it a few times already and like it quite a bit.

Yellow Sea is very much a citrusy oriental--bergamot, orange, amber and benzoin. It has a bit of a milky quality to it. It reminds me a little of Allure Homme and Allure Edition Blanche, but I like it more than both of them (it's not as boring as EB and not as sweet or obnoxious as AH). Yellow Sea dries down to a sweet amber/incense. Supposedly there's cedar and patchouli in it, but I can't detect much. It's not heavy, but it's not light either.

Good sillage for a while, but unfortunately the longevity is not great (this might only last about 5 hours).

The bottle looks really cool too.

So...time to rank the samples in order of preference.

#5 Silver Mountain Water: I just wasn't that impressed overall. But I'll give it a few more wears before I completely write it off.

#4 Divine L'Homme Sage: Very unique, a great cold weather scent, but not something I think I would wear much. Still, a few basenoters swear by this stuff, and given that I don't find it offensive, I'll probably test it out some more and see where I go with it.

#3 Ambrarem: Interesting. Completely different and complex. It's deep and rich and I can see this one becoming something of a classic. I'd like to get a 10ml decant of it. It's not something I could wear often, but I would enjoy it very much when I did.

#2 Yellow Sea: Very pleased with it. Another successful blind buy!

#1 Piper Nigrum: Awesome, fresh mint-based fragrance that will be great in the Spring. I've already begun clearing space in my wardrobe for it.

Hi Can I ask where you got the sample of Ambrarem? I'd love to get one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by kaligrrrl View Post
    Hi Can I ask where you got the sample of Ambrarem? I'd love to get one myself.

The perfumed court. They offer spray vial samples, but they can be expensive. You might have better luck over at Luckyscent, they'll send you .7ml dab vials, but they're much cheaper.