Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Hillaire

Default The Continued Citric-Green-Sampler Thread: Impressions and Notes :)

For any who were confused the sign-up thread's closure, it was simply closed (by my behest) because it was filled-up, and I did not want to/ could not turn anyone down. And its simply as big as I can imagine, right now, a handful of destinations. I am so touched my proposal generated such interest from such passionate and eloquent basenoters, the newly fascinated, as well as the alread-'names' in vintage perfume knowledge.

I am truly excited; it's been fun smelling old ciritc-things all week!

Default Re: The Continued Citric-Green-Sampler Thread: Impressions and Notes :)

That was sweet of you to do that, Hillaire. I'm looking forward to reading everyone's impressions.

Hillaire

My, but assembling this sample pack has proved a project and a half!
    However, it is coming to a close, and I intend to mail out on Monday!
    I'll post again when I do!

Make it a pleasure not chore x

I've been getting warmed up - wearing my Azemour les Orangers sample now, and have been wearing chypre-y citruses at night. Chanel for Men recently, too.

Do Acqua di Parma Colonia and the Intensa count? The Intensa especially smells pretty chypric to me ... I think? I'm waiting for my Eau de Rochas and Signoricci minis to come too!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    I've been getting warmed up - wearing my Azemour les Orangers sample now, and have been wearing chypre-y citruses at night. Chanel for Men recently, too.

Do Acqua di Parma Colonia and the Intensa count? The Intensa especially smells pretty chypric to me ... I think? I'm waiting for my Eau de Rochas and Signoricci minis to come too!
    OOh, I cannot wait for your Signoricci minis to arrive, and your Rochas. Those are SO great.
    I like it that you are 'warming up' ! That really tickled me!
    As for the acqua di Parma, "no." (Just kidding!) It's a good one.

@Alityke, dear. But work is my pleasure.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 6th March 2012 at 02:54 PM.

Hope your beard is less prevalent than the guy on the left hehehe

Hillaire

The package is on its way! Yeah!

Once again, so that you can give your address to the person before you, here is the order:

I'll mail to Alityke
    Altikye mails to Larimar
    Larimar mails to Cacio
    Cacio mails to Rubegon
    Rubegon mails to jujy54
    jujy54 mails it to OVincze

A good amount of time to sniff your way through this heap is a week. I am excited now!
    Let me know if you have any questions by PM or post them here.

OVincze, I know you were wondering about your addie and when it went out as well as if there is a thread that continues the 'talk' I hope this answers all your questions.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 6th March 2012 at 02:56 PM.

*stalking this thread *
    for swap/sale:

I'll post to this thread when I receive them

*Eagerly waiting by the letterbox*

Blog Entries

Aw bummer! I have just discovered this thread. What a great project! Oh well, I have posted so that I am subscribed and I can enjoy all of your experiences by proxy! Looking forward to it.

Wow, really exciting! I am enjoying Azuree today. I cannot wait for those really cool samples to arive. Definitely look forward to them, well, I will have some time to prepare for sure and it will only make me more excited as well.

I finally got one of my minis yesterday - Signoricci 2! USPS moves much slower than the interwebs. I'm going to try it out this weekend.

Blog Entries

I am also signing on here to read everyone's impressions when their samples arrive.

Still waiting.... Regular actions on arrival home from work.

Open back door, run through house to letter box, sigh when no scent samples.

I know they have 1000s of miles to cross and customs to get through but I'm so excited!

Hillaire

Oh, my goodness! That's so adorable. I hope it lives up to the fantasy!
    It'll a be a few more days; I am thinking Tues. Or Wed. -- or maybe longer.

I have received a note from the postie that there is a package to collect it's too large to go through the letter box. As everything else I was expected has been delivered. So I suspect it will be the lovely chypre pack put together by our wonderful Hillaire.

So 7am will find me at the post office and 7.05 will find me tearing it open in the car.

Will confirm tomorrow evening.

Way hay I was right It has arrived.

Hillaire you are wonderful. I won't spoil the surprise for others in the group, but how lovely Thank you for your generosity from the bottom of my heart

I did open the envelope in the car as I forecast and the drive to work was accompanied by AG Nuits D'Hadrien on my left arm and Chamade on my right arm.

The AG N D'H is a bright citrus in the top and has now faded to a gentle spiced moss. Not sure how the longevity will be on me AG's tend to fade quite rapidly on my skin.

On my is Chamade. The top didn't have any citrus on me and truth be told I wasn't keen on the it, now though I'm getting a blousy rosy floral with a little wood and moss behind it which is very Guerlain and I like it much more than the opening.

On my left wrist is YSL In Love Again. Getting grapefruit and blackcurrent in the top and has yet that is where it has stayed. I can imaging a good spray of this on a warm day would be lovely and refreshing.

On my right wrist is Balmain's Vent Vert. Green in the opening and into the middle but not linear. The green has changed and warmed a little. So far VV is my favourite.

Work calls so will be back at lunchtime with an update and this afternoons samples.
    Last edited by Alityke; 14th March 2012 at 07:00 AM.

Hi
    Its lunchtime so 5 hours into the drydown of the four samples applied this morning.
    AG Nuits D'Hadrien has now gone. 2 hours in it suddenly blew lots of cumin at me then rapidly left. Like the top very much, the spiced middle was interesting but the sudden cumin hit was unexpected.

Chamade as per my earlier thread, didn't particularly like the opening but did like the floral, rosy trumpet voluntary that came in the middle. The drydown I felt was rather "meh" and flat. There was tonka but little moss. It lasted for four hours so moderate longevity from a relatively small sample dab.

YSL In Love Again the blackcurrent greenery remains throught, I liked the opening, very fresh. The mid notes I have found rather too sweet for my personal taste but not unpleasant at all. The drydown remained sweet and green, rather odd but not unpleasant. Again longevity of 4 hours for a small dab. I could enjoy this as a summer sprayed scent and will test from a counter now its on rerelease.

Vent Vert, now were talking, crisp green opening, smooth green middle and a mossy woody dry down. Right up my alley. A grown up scent for a woman not a girl but not an old woman scent at all. Nothing old fashioned or dated but polished and knowing. This could easily be FB worthy but I shall try to do a full wearing of the batch I buy first.

Onto this afternoons tests scents.
    Left arm Patou's Vacances wow green green green green green galbanum with may be a touch of lavender
    Right arm Edelweiss burgduft lovely floral but crisp opening
    Left wrist Paco Rabanne Eau de Calandre unusual slightly plasticine opening which made me cough a little.
    Right wrist Kanebo Morenosei rather dry lemongrass opening reminiscent of thai food

Lunchtime over so will report back after work this evening

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm enjoying reading your reviews, Alityke.

The delightful YSL In Love Again was indeed re-issued, but was then discontinued a second time several years back, although bottles can still be found. The re-issue smells the same as the original (it wasn't reformulated when re-issued.)

It has two flankers that I have not smelled, In Love Again Jasmine Etoile and In Love Again Fleur de la Passion. Buyer beware: Read carefully-- there are a lot more of the flankers up for sale online than there are of the re-issued, original scent In Love Again, and the image of the re-issued original scent with the green box is sometimes incorrectly shown when it's actually a flanker that is being sold.
    Babies have begun hatching on the Estonian osprey nests.
    All 3 eggs have hatched at Irma and Joosep's nest. Live webcam: http://pontu.eenet.ee/player/kalakotkas2.html

There are now 2 babies at Mai and Mikk's nest! Live webcam: http://pontu.eenet.ee/player/kalakotkas.html
    Osprey discussion forums: http://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/viewforum.php?f=56

You're doing an excellent job with your reports, Alityke! Very interesting. I felt pretty much the same as you about Chamade. And I so wanted to love it.

Hillaire, love the new avatar! Very pretty pic!
    The nose wants what it wants!
    Currently wearing: Lavandula by Penhaligon's

[QUOTE=30 Roses;2493629]

The delightful YSL In Love Again was indeed re-issued, but was then discontinued a second time several years back, although bottles can still be found. The re-issue smells the same as the original (it wasn't reformulated when re-issued.)
    QUOTE]

In Love Again has just been re-issued a third time in the cream chess piece 80ml version along with Y, Yvresse and Nu. Nu and Y remain as I remember them but as I never tried ILA on the first 2 occasions I wouldn't know. I feel a full wearing coming on from the Boots counter this weekend

A quick update
    Patou's Vacances is still going but i cannot find a chypre dry down or mid notes. Its now quite old ladyish in a lavender bag way.

Edelweiss Burgduft this is sweet, soft and completely pink floral on me. I can appreciate it but it isnt to my taste.

Paco Rabanne Eau de Calandre yes I'm getting something of a mossy drydown but the plastic note is still hindering me. Smells of how the Swinging 60's should have smelled in London

Kanebo Morenosei this dried into a classic chypre middle which I liked very much but it's now gone whereas the other 3 are all still going

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    In Love Again has just been re-issued a third time in the cream chess piece 80ml version along with Y, Yvresse and Nu. Nu and Y remain as I remember them but as I never tried ILA on the first 2 occasions I wouldn't know. I feel a full wearing coming on from the Boots counter this weekend
    Good to know that! It should never have been discontinued.
    Babies have begun hatching on the Estonian osprey nests.
    All 3 eggs have hatched at Irma and Joosep's nest. Live webcam: http://pontu.eenet.ee/player/kalakotkas2.html

There are now 2 babies at Mai and Mikk's nest! Live webcam: http://pontu.eenet.ee/player/kalakotkas.html
    Osprey discussion forums: http://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/viewforum.php?f=56

Just about to sign of from work so another quick update

Patou's Vacances all but gone now. See last notes for dry down
    Edelweiss burgduft wood, pink flowers and a little moss in the drydown, still there so quite tenacious.
    Paco Rabanne Eau de Calandre thankfully left me. I disliked the plasticity of this
    Kanebo Morenosei completely gone. Longevity not it's strong point but the best chypre of this test

Oh, how fun, it will be interesting to see whether we like the same things or not, I find that our tastes are quite similar Alityke! BTW, I am wearing Sisley thanks to you today and I have worn Diorella and Azuree as well, very nice ones for sure!

I'm going to add some of my chypres that fit the bill as well if I can get some more tubes from the pharmacist. Think he's getting fed up of me now though.

I have a tired nose this evening

Hillaire

Alityke! I am glad you got it and all is sound.

I am very much enjoying your comments. I agree with you, actually, about most. I woule never call Vaccances old-ladyish (tsk LOL!), but you are right. It's pre-chypre, but so verdant I thought it should be smelled.

The Chamade is not a favorite of mine either. You smelled the latest version, which I prefer to the more high-octane original, personally.

Best of fun!

PS I knew you'd dig Vent Vert. It's the citric paradigm, after all.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by perfumedlady View Post

hillaire, love the new avatar! Very pretty pic!
    thank you!

Holy crap! I can already see that my comments are going to be way below par in this sampler. Great job, Alityke! I'm taking notes - and, I'm so glad I'm not going first on this one.

This isn't exactly sampler related, but it came from the first thread. I got my Signoricci 2 and Eau de Rochas minis last week. I didn't get to try them over the weekend because a mother load of vintage Guerlain stuff landed on my doorstep and demanded my attention.

I wanted to post some impressions of my citric minis here and get some feedback before the mother of all samplers arrives at my doorstep. I need to study!

Now, I've given the Eau de Rochas a try tonight after work - I'll try the Ricci tomorrow.

Eau de Rochas ran its course in about 2-3 hours. I'm reapplying now to play it back again.

My first impression is lots of lemon. Other citrus as well, I suppose - it doesn't smell like pure lemon oil, so there must be something else. I can't perceive separation between the citric notes, though.

My wife was in the room the first time I applied and she gave me a look and asked "Are you wearing Shalimar?" (she thinks the Shalimar belongs to her - hah!). I couldn't believe she confused the two. Maybe its because when you apply Shalimar, the first thing that flies out into the room is the citrus. It's bergamot, not lemon - but none of her other perfumes have any citrus to speak of, so maybe that was it (she mostly wears Shalimar, Idylle, and a couple of powdery Kenzos).

Now that I'm wearing Eau de Rochas again, I do get a somewhat Guerlain-esque character from the citric opening. Reading some reviews, I see that the notes include amber and sandalwood. I never would have picked those out, but maybe it is their presence that gives this effect.

Within about 30 minutes, most of the citrus has burned off and it's more balanced. Balanced with what I can't say. The notes cite florals in the heart but I can't smell them. It seems more like the soft base notes becoming distinctly perceptible as the citrus fades. An hour in, it is very faint - nose to skin gives a soft impression but no sillage, unless olfactory fatigue is blinding me to it. By the 2 hour mark it's almost all gone - putting my nose in my shirt or to my wrist, I think I can still detect it, but it's kind of like when you are trying really hard to hear the beep when taking a hearing test - I wouldn't bet on it. (note: my skin absorbs fragrance pretty quickly, so this may be faster than on someone with less absorptive epidermis)

That felt like a pretty pathetic attempt. Sorry! It's the height of allergy season, and I think my nose is not at its best.

Overall, I would classify this as a traditional eau de cologne. Mostly top notes with a little bit of heavy stuff to improve longevity and lend character and distinction. I see more resemblance to Imperiale than to, say, Chanel Pour Monsiuer.

In EdR and Imperiale, the citrus is the star of the show. Imperiale flips on the lights after 20 minutes and shows you the door - EdR stays on stage a little longer, and has some funky jazz playing as the crowd works its way out of the auditorium. With CpM, the citrus is just the opening act for the darker, more complex headliner.

I suppose it's a spectrum, and EdR is somewhere in between I and CpM. Is this making any sense, or am I just wandering around in the weeds?

Is any citric eau de cologne with a foundation of some base notes a citric chypre, in some sense? I know that the traditional formula included oak moss in the base, but now that it's not used I suppose the definition must be broadened.

To put it simply - what makes something a chypre? I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts, as this is very muddy in my mind.

Whoa! This ended up being waaaay longer than I planned. Sorry!
    Last edited by rubegon; 15th March 2012 at 06:29 AM.