Code of Conduct

Default What scents evoke fencing to you?

I greatly enjoy my "eaux de cheval" as they bring me memories of my younger and carefree days.
    Riding is not that easy in this city and I can't see it fitting in my schedule any time soon (unfortunately), so I am taking up fencing and I wonder what fragrances might evoke fencing to you?
    The first one that comes to mind is Annick Goutal Duel.

Default Re: What scents evoke fencing to you?

I read the thread title and immediately thought "creosote" lol.

Reading the body of the thread how about Paco Rabanne Metal

How about Creed's Acier Aluminium?

Blog Entries

Andrea Maack-Sharp, By Killian- Cruel Intentions, L'Artisan-Dzing

Cuir Mauresque - the abrupt change in notes during development is similar to the swift fencing moves.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Touché by Jovan

One of the four musketeers was called Aramis.

Hillaire

The question is, which scents don't evoke fencing for me!!

But, seriously... my father fenced when I was very small, and I would watch him, waiting on a freshly-waxed beech gymnasium floor.
    I am trying to conjure my father's residual cologne (he would not have doused for the sport), which might have been Z-14... or Givenchy Gentleman back then. And the heavy screened gear, permeated with the goatish aromas of others, and lots of sweat.

So, hmmm, I think I am coming up with --sniff sniff -- Yes, that's right... VC&A Pour Homme.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 26th February 2012 at 06:57 PM.

I'm assuming that you're looking for a scent that evokes fencing, not a scent to wear while fencing. I'm sure you're aware of this, but fencing is incredibly sweaty, and doing just 5 minutes of intense footwork will have you drenched. And besides that, salles smell bad! Nothing more than my personal opinion, but the salle just isn't really conducive to fragrances.

Stuff that evokes fencing...back in the day when fencing was actually about dueling and killing one another, I think French, I think musketeers, something with a sense of history, maybe Guerlain heritage? Modern sport fencing is metallic and technological, so maybe Chrome? And I want to pick one for a middleground between the mid 1800s and the 1900s where fencing became an olympic sport and the Hungarians dominated. But I can't think of anything. So what's a "hungarian" scent. lol?

Btw I think you're making a really cool decision and you're going to have so much fun!

I've never practiced fencing, so I don't know how the parapernalia would smell like. Metallic notes then is what comes to mind. Silver by Amouage, for instance.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Touché by Jovan, Andrea Maack-Sharp, By Killian- Cruel Intentions, L'Artisan-Dzing
    Brilliant, Kunquat. LOL!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Blog Entries

Thanks for appreciating my odd sense of humor, Alfarom!

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I am not too fond of metallic notes, they do not seem to work on me, except for the slight metallic tinge in Sienne L'Hiver. I know I'll have a more definite idea of this in a few days.

Hillaire, if it's lots and lots of sweat, I might go for a fragrance with strong notes of cumin, perhaps. Thank your for sharing your memories.

Icanzapyou, I am looking for a fragrance that evokes the activity, not to wear during class/training. Thank you. I can't think of any Hungarian scents right now, except for the ancient and fragrant Hungary Water.

These are all hilarious! I love Annick Goutal's Duel, with its iris and leather, but longevity is worthless.

What about Ineke's Derring-Do, called a "fresh fougere" in the literature? "Spring rain, fresh and fearless, the first glimmers of light."

Reminds me of a certain man of fashion, a French count, who showed up for a duel with his brother-in-law--a French duke--as his second, only to find his adversary had reported him to the police. The constables arrived to meet the two Frenchmen at dawn (in London), but the adversary got the reputation of cowardice.

Such was the French count's reputation with swords (and also pistols!)

Kumquat, your comic timing is great!

Quote Originally Posted by GelbeDomino View Post
    I greatly enjoy my "eaux de cheval" as they bring me memories of my younger and carefree days.
    Riding is not that easy in this city and I can't see it fitting in my schedule any time soon (unfortunately), so I am taking up fencing and I wonder what fragrances might evoke fencing to you?
    The first one that comes to mind is Annick Goutal Duel.
    Domino, do you fence foil, epee or sabre? I was a foil fencer years ago. The teacher said I had an advantage because I was so short!
    Last edited by Primrose; 27th February 2012 at 03:15 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    I read the thread title and immediately thought "creosote" lol.
    Yes, me too!

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Thanks for appreciating my odd sense of humor, Alfarom!
    Touchè by Jovan is priceless

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here