Code of Conduct

Default A Signature scent or a Scent Rotation ?

As a businessman , is it important to establish a signature scent with clients and other colleagues? I've been trying to find a woodsy sweet signature scent , or maybe a projecting clean fresh fragrance that would be nice in a suit or out to a dinner party. I want something that leaves a lasting positive impression and it'd be nice if it had staying power like amen as well. Amen lasts about 4-5 hours on my skin fyi.

Default Re: A Signature scent or a Scent Rotation ?

I'm an attorney. I don't particular want to have a signature scent with clients and colleagues. When I wear cologne at work, it's very muted and always a scent that is generally well liked (MI and GIT are my two workhorses). When I'm meeting with clients, I very rarely wear any cologne. In court, I sometimes wear VC&A, but only a spray or two, just so I can barely smell it.

For work the most important thing is not to offend. On my personal time I can wear more challenging scents.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Woody Spicy - Tom Ford Extreme
    Fresh - Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

Quote Originally Posted by Shakazulu View Post
    As a businessman , is it important to establish a signature scent with clients and other colleagues? I've been trying to find a woodsy sweet signature scent , or maybe a projecting clean fresh fragrance that would be nice in a suit or out to a dinner party. I want something that leaves a lasting positive impression and it'd be nice if it had staying power like amen as well. Amen lasts about 4-5 hours on my skin fyi.
    My search for a good representative perfume has lead to a current collection of about 50 frags, samples not included. I came to the conclusion it is about greed. A peculiar fear of shortcomings. But, no reason for such a occasion: nobody of my business and personal surrounding really cares! As long as it isn't too much. Even if so, they were way to shy too tell.

My reasoning will lead to a break in the very next future. I'm on my way to decide which maybe 3 frags I will keep for the next weeks. The others, 'masterpieces' I'm not willing to give away, are going to be hoarded in the closet.

Since its still winter, but close to spring over here I'll keep in daily use most probably Yosh - Sombre Negra, Biehl - EO02 and ELdO - Archives 69. Its no good to rotate such a huge collection as I have. Its more fun to get a grip on a quite focused subset - just an assumption.

I am businessman but honestly I never thought about not smelling offensive, well I don't think I have any offensive smells in my collection?

I may have pushed it a bit when I did 3 sprays of A*men when meeting with our CEO and Chairman of the Board and a second technician for a few hours in a tiny office having a product demonstration. But hey, even that went well without anyone yelling at me ;-).

After getting Gray Vetivier into my collection, I've been using it in these sorts of situations more. It simply smells amazing and I cannot see how anyone could be offended by it.

Im in an industry where I meet with a fair rotation of new people every day so a signature scent would not be noticed. Mainly I look for close quarters non offensive scents and later on I go all out for dinners and parties.

What would Don Draper do?

March 25

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    I am businessman but honestly I never thought about not smelling offensive, well I don't think I have any offensive smells in my collection?
    Even the most universally beloved fragrances are disliked by someone. Along with my opposing counsel I was meeting with a judge prior to a weeklong trial once, and she made a point of telling us that none of us were permitted to wear any cologne in her courtroom. She said she had a sensitive nose and any cologne we wore, no matter how nice/light, would be too much.
    Current Top Five:

Something like Chanel Pour Monsieur or Acqua di Parma Colonia would be appropriate.

As a businessman , is it important to establish a signature scent with clients and other colleagues?
    IMO No.

I think a signature scent is another form of business card, honestly. If you do have one, it's gotta be detectable and it's gotta smell good. I think Amouage's Jubilation XXV is a perfect fragrance for this purpose.

Dependent

Personally i dont think theres a need for a signature scent. Maybe just one that you might use more often than the others but not one that you use forever. Maybe its a BN thing but i think having even a small variety would be fun
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Banned

Eau Illuminee by Delrae - One is initially treated to a gust of freshness from the invigorating melange of bittersweet bergamot and basil, with its lemony and slightly spicy greenness. Percolating a bit, this clean blend transitions to the waiting middle. Here, the minty clean aroma of lavender commingles with various herbs, and infuses the opening brew. Green and camphoraceous rosemary, earthy and verdant geranium as well as sharp lemon verbena work their wiles with this spic and span heart, while a tad of vanilla bobs about. Transitioning to the awaiting base, tonka bean encases the herbal concoction, and imparts its vanillic, freshly-mown lawn character and interplays with enabling, violet-like orris. A delicately laundered drydown ensues. This somewhat elegant composition leans heavily to the masculine side; and, although it can be considered an all-season scent, it will bloom in the spring and summer. A well-crafted fragrance with quality ingredients, it has good projection and longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    ... Amouage's Jubilation XXV is a perfect fragrance for this purpose.
    O/k, that would be a very expensive choice - appropriate for a business man? Someone who is expected to know about the value of money at least.

As of today I'm going to use only three fragrances for 2 weeks.

- Yatagan (I'm a man - just an assumption)
    - Biehl EO02 (my citric cologne)
    - Patchouly Patch (I'm an old man - for sure)

In case I can't stand one of the fragrances that long without fumbling around I know I don't like it (by definition).

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Something like Chanel Pour Monsieur or Acqua di Parma Colonia would be appropriate.
    Agreed. You can also try Esencia Loewe (2 sprays max).

Being a freelancer, I can pretty much decide whatever I wear, since I work from a home office with little formal social calls and a few more informal gatherings (outside the usual office schedule) - so, I eventually settled on a signature rotation, 10-12, up to 20-30 scents I alternate on a more regular or more infrequent basis

But, given the nature of your work, in my opinion, there is one particular scent that works well, whether you decide on signature scent or on rotation: Armani Eau pour Homme, suitable in a versatile manner both as a clean office scent, but also as a discreet yet outstanding and poignant companion for upscale socializing events

If we're talking about nice, conservative business scents, don't forget Tiffany for Men. If I have a signature work scent, it would probably be GIT, but again I wear very little of it at work.
    Current Top Five:

Can you describe what the value is in having a signature scent? Or is it because you only want a fragrance for functional purposes and choosing from more than one would be a chore?

I enjoy the previously mentioned Jubilation XXV quite a lot, but I have trouble imagining what it would gain me to wear it every day. What is the benefit? That a client will get a whiff of it in passing and be inspired to send you some new business? Or is it just about the impression you make of smelling great--which can also be done (perhaps better) with a variety?

Your sense of smell is one of the strongest of the five senses. I have learned in psychology that scent can impart quite a lasting impression on someone, and helps to subconsciously build rapport with someone. I want to have a scent that is fragrant, but not offensive. I really like giorgio , and if issey miyake had a longer lasting scent I'd probably use that. Also secondly it definitely would be nice to have a functional scent for business. I want people to tie together my scent, with my professionalism, with my dress attire, with a superior product subconsciously.

Your sense of smell is one of the strongest of the five senses. I have learned in psychology that scent can impart quite a lasting impression on someone, and helps to subconsciously build rapport with someone. I want to have a scent that is fragrant, but not offensive. I really like giorgio , and if issey miyake had a longer lasting scent I'd probably use that. Also secondly it definitely would be nice to have a functional scent for business. I want people to tie together my scent, with my professionalism, with my dress attire, with a superior product subconsciously.
    I understand building the association. I'm asking how the association benefits you once it's established. What would be a very practical way for that to play out?

in that a good clean scent becomes synonymous with my outstanding product. I want my clients to be out and about...maybe get a whiff of a similar scent and instantly revert to thoughts about my business or a project they want. I want them to get a whiff at dinnertime...or at the mall...or wherever and associate the wonderful whiff with my business ..my superior product. Its constant psychological advertising

That is a very legitimate answer.

So here's my view on the subject: I think the return-on-investment for that type of advertising is very low. We are people who place a lot of importance on scent, but this is rarely true of random people we encounter in business. It's even rarer that someone is going to catch a whiff of--let's say Jubilation XXV--and be moved to the point of initiating new business with me, returning a call, etc.

I think part of the reason this isn't immediately obvious, to me at least, is because I associate "signature scents" with people in my past that I have a strong emotional attachment to. But the experience of the memory is actually my experience. It's very easy to (I think erroneously) try to flip this around where some kind of benefit might come back to me. But I have never done that for someone else--e.g., placed a phone call because I was inspired by the scent memory. I've never really done that, if I'm honest with myself.

All this is to say: think very carefully before you deprive yourself of the immense personal pleasure of wearing whatever you want each day. You might even be surprised at how your own enjoyment and the confidence that comes from it can translate powerfully to the impression that you leave on others.

Your mileage may of course vary. Just my two cents.

I'm a frag head and I have no idea what any people I met today was wearing. I don't know, what can I say? I don't really care how other man smell, women however.... unfortunately, in my line of business they are rare and far between :-/.

i enjoy all whiffs of fragrance i get actually even the supposedly crappy frags people wear to the gym. so to me wearing a frag is better than no frag.

polo blue
    ysl la nuit

or
    eau sauvage
    antaeus

Creed Original Vetiver or GIT are great fresh scents for everyday use.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille