Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sur la Plage

Default New Fragrance: Slumberhouse Norne

[From slumberhouse:

I’m pleased to announce the 5th addition to the Slumberhouse lineup. Norne is a very dense pairing of pure absolutes, hence the virtually pitch black color and strong potency. Perfumes made from 100% absolutes are notably rare due to the high cost and difficulty associated with creating them. This is a fragrance that will show continuous improvement and evolution as it ages due to its properties.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: New Fragrance: Slumberhouse Norne

Sounds fantastic! And the juice looks amazing
    I'll have to try it

Sounds interesting. And Vonnegutty.

if its going to be stronger than their other offerings like Jeke or Ore it might just burn through your skin......the ferocious longevity and sillage on these babies is mind blowing......this one seriously scares me.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    if its going to be stronger than their other offerings like jeke or ore it might just burn through your skin......the ferocious longevity and sillage on these babies is mind blowing......this one seriously scares me.
    lol!

This one sounds something like Lutens Fille en Aiguilles. Pine and incense. That Lutens doesn't quite work for me, so I'd be curious to hear more about this one from anyone who tries it.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Sounds interesting

Sounds great... will have to sample.

Oh my.....
    Im the be$t @ thi$

This has "sample" written all over it.

Thank you, JC!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I wonder if it smells like Norns.

Banned

thanks for the headsup ... a hyped, woods scent ...

Surely something to check out. Thanks JC

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I hope its something unlike black afghano.

Sound Scents

Looks impressive. I'll be on the lookout for this one. Many thanks, Joe.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie

I keep my fingers across for a dark balsamic forest never smelled before!

Sounds a MONSTER. Rume and Ore are very strong and longlasting, and this is a pure absolute!
    And it cost the same price of the rest of the line, wich is amazing.

Also, they have a sample for only 5usd shipped, amazing.
    http://slumberhou.se/shop

The 100% pure absolute can be considered a Parfum?

Just ordered the sample set from these guys, it's about time I tried them, and with this included I just had to!
    Can't wait!

Uh? ". . .the catharsis of self worship." What does that even mean??? I thought politicians had cornered the market on meaningless blather.

That aside, looks sample-worthy!

Interesting about it improving as it ages.

I am curious about this one.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    The 100% pure absolute can be considered a Parfum?
    It's made out of absolutes -- no essential oils or synthetics. I'm sure those absolutes are in a base of some type such as DPG and/or fractionated coconut oil, etc. I don't think it's a spray fragrance so I doubt it's in alcohol.

Just ordered a sample pack. Reviews to follow...

Basenotes Institution

It looks like nail polish.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    It looks like nail polish.
    Hi guys!

About 23 posts on a product that nobody here has even sampled. Wowing about the color of the fluid (do You mind stain?), some 'notes' and other marketing snags.

An absolue is to my knowledge not that much more expensive than an oil, it just depends.

By now its just an other new release, isn't it? How could You have so much energy to rave about each of those every time again?

Just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Hi guys!

About 23 posts on a product that nobody here has even sampled. Wowing about the color of the fluid (do You mind stain?), some 'notes' and other marketing snags.

An absolue is to my knowledge not that much more expensive than an oil, it just depends.

By now its just an other new release, isn't it? How could You have so much energy to rave about each of those every time again?

Just wondering
    silly question.

We are here to talk about perfume aren't we?

Slumberhouse is a fascinating brand, small, niche, and the guy obviously has a great passion for his fragrances and it shows.

Some people will rave about a completely original looking and sounding (and probably smelling) new release by a creative modern brand, and some will rave about Pure Shot... or endlessly discuss L'Instant Extreme, your choice what you find interesting I guess, I know what I choose.

Actually absolutes are often 4-5 times the price of their essential oil counterparts. One of my friends makes her own scented soaps and once compared for me using allspice oil vs allspice absolute.

A quick google search (by no means scientific) shows 1oz allspice oil for $13 and 1oz allspice absolute for $70. That's almost 6 times the cost.

Hi guys!

Just wondering
    Should we talk more about D&G The One Sport instead?

Slumberhouse is great quality, i have certain that i will love it. The new D&G in the other hand...

Just wondering
    Just wondering why you read these boards? If it seems uninteresting to you go elsewhere. I feel the same way about women's handbags, but I'm not going to go trolling handbag forums and deride them because they like handbags.

I ordered the sample set, and I'm eager to give them a sniff.

In the meantime, the marketing reminds me of Stefon from SNL's Weekend Update.

"If you’re looking for a good time, look no further: New York’s hottest club is Norne. Club promoter Slumberhouse has gone all out, and inside it’s just everything: conifers, resins, battery acid, screaming babies in Mozart wigs, and the catharsis of self-worship..."

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    silly question.
    Some people will rave about a completely original looking and sounding (and probably smelling) ...
    Why do You all rave about it in advance? The smell is yet unknown. What actually is known by now is the marketing ploy. Your ravings are about being pulled in by promises and exaggerated expectations. And You surely won't prove otherwise before the sample arrives.

Not only to answer the question of this juice will stain due to its intense color. I personally admit to be curious how the identification of the company as decidedly 'urban' will twist the idea of the 'smell of the woods' this frag is told to evoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    Just wondering why you read these boards? If it seems uninteresting to you go elsewhere. I feel the same way about women's handbags, but I'm not going to go trolling handbag forums and deride them because they like handbags.
    Reiterated: I like perfumes - some. I wonder why sturdy men go crazy about the marketing ploys of a new release. Before the smell of it is known! I'm honest with fragrance, I think its worth some reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post

"If you’re looking for a good time, look no further: New York’s hottest club is Norne. Club promoter Slumberhouse has gone all out, and inside it’s just everything: conifers, resins, battery acid, screaming babies in Mozart wigs, and the catharsis of self-worship..."
    It's like hearing your favourite band is releasing a new album and it's going to be "(all your favourite aspects of their music inserted here)" Would you just say "Oh well I haven't heard it so, I won't get excited". Nuhuh.
    It's finally an exciting sounding release from a niche house... something that doesn't always happen too often.

Just wondering
    A mind that can leap effortlessly from "sounds interesting/ordered a sample" to "rave review" must be a formidable thing to deal with in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    Actually absolutes are often 4-5 times the price of their essential oil counterparts. One of my friends makes her own scented soaps and once compared for me using allspice oil vs allspice absolute.

A quick google search (by no means scientific) shows 1oz allspice oil for $13 and 1oz allspice absolute for $70. That's almost 6 times the cost.
    Absolutes can be far cheaper, too. Rose absolute is almost always less than a good rose otto. Saffron Absolute, there's no comparison. Neroli oil tends to be far more expensive than the absolute from the same flower, orange blossom absolute. Same w/ immortelle absolute vs helichrysum eo (both from the same plant).

I'd say that more often than not absolutes are cheaper (when both are an option), when it comes to the really expensive things. $70 an ounce is nothing compared to the $500+ an ounce for some of the floral oils or absolutes.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Yay, this guy is amazing. I just received an unexpected package containing a sample of Norne and two other fragrances labelled as A3 and Baque. Does anyone know anything about them? Report will follow soon...Just applyed Norne...

Well....?

So, where to start from? Here: The juice is really pitch black. If you're familiar with Black Tourmaline, you'll probably know what I mean but Norne is even more black (if this makes any sense) and much more dense...just like ink. You should better avoid applying it on clothes...

To those of you who already have some familiarity with other compositions by Slumberhouse, Norne shows all of the house's hallmarks: bold structure, powerful smell, dark atmosphere, strong herbal quality and, most of all, the usual spicy, sort of medicinal/camphoraceous/resiny vibe (maybe some clove as well?).

Norne opens sort of smoky/sweet and immediately brings to mind of Black Tourmaline but whereas many of the previous releases by this house kept this vibe throughout, Norne pushes on the accelerator by introducing a strong and dry herbal/woody quality supported by a monolitic dose of coniferous notes and frankincense. In this phase I can't help myself from thinking about a sort of Fille En Aiguilles devoided of the dry fruits and with the addition of a subtle raunchy/mouldy feel. On skin, Norne shows a perfect balance bewteen sweetness and the dark-resinous facet while on paper it results much more sweeter (skin test mandatory).

Overall Norne is pretty interesting if you're into the aforementioned fragrances and, after testing quite a few compositions by this house I can honestly say that this guy has his own, unmistakeble style. By any means Slumberhouse-ish.

Be careful, Norne projects for yards during the first two hrs.

Side note: If you'll happen to like Norne, I strongly recommend you to give a chance to the whole O'Driù line.

-------

Last but not least: I like this guy and I like his approach. This is a big plus for me.
    Last edited by alfarom; 29th February 2012 at 04:37 PM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Side note: If you'll happen to like Norne, I strongly recommend you to give a chance to the whole O'Driù line.
    I love Slumberhouse's blue collar prices. O'Driu is approximately 10x more pricey. And Norne is all natural . . . can't wait to stain my skin. It'll look like I've been eating BBQ pork like I did in my dream last night ... ah the life of a vegetarian

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    I love Slumberhouse's blue collar prices. O'Driu is approximately 10x more pricey.
    Actually, as pointed out by d4N13L on the O'Driù thread, the 1000ml bottle is the perfect candidate for a split. 50ml of any of their juices will end up costing 44 euros which is more or less $60 (actually even cheaper than Slumberhouse that now sells the 30ml for $75).

Dependent

Actually, as pointed out by d4N13L on the O'Driù thread, the 1000ml bottle is the perfect candidate for a split. 50ml of any of their juices will end up costing 44 euros which is more or less $60 (actually even cheaper than Slumberhouse that now sells the 30ml for $75).
    Whoops thought it was 50ml. Though it does sound very concentrated. Thanks for the heads up.

I'd like to get my hands on some O'Driu samples. Those sound fascinating.

Great write alfarom, can't wait to try it, it sounds wonderful!

Im quite excited to try this one. Fille en Aiguilles is one of my favorite Lutens.

But im sad that they have discontinued Ore, my favorite from their line. Seems that they cant get the oils to made it again. Better than reformulate and sell other thing with the same name. At least they are fair with the customers.

Ohhh yeah we should, any brave heart to host?

Slumberhouse sounds a bit expensive, but their Esprit de Parfum are VERY concentrated.
    I usually spray everything about 6 times or more, even Kouros, Red Aoud, etc.
    With my Slumberhouse Rume 4 sprays (and the sprayer is very conservative) is enough to fulfill my tastes for sillage (brute) and longevity (14 hours)
    30mls can provide the same battery life as a regular 100ml EDT or 75ml EDP.
    So not a bad price. Also they almost always give full samples, minis, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    30mls can provide the same battery life as a regular 100ml EDT or 75ml EDP.
    So not a bad price. Also they almost always give full samples, minis, etc.
    They're anything but expensive, I agree...and very generous too!

Alfarom :

I was wondering how you would compare this with Grev ? Grev pretty heavy on the firs and pines too.

I have to second everyone's experience with this House : Josh is a great guy, and his approach to frags is miles away from current trends. I saw a review that called Slumberhouse the first "Outsider Art" frag house.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    I was wondering how you would compare this with Grev ? Grev pretty heavy on the firs and pines too.
    You nailed it! Overall not that distant from Grev but much lighter on the clove and definitely stronger on the resins. Most of all, Norne avoids the "Tiger Balm" effect that I have while smelling Grev...

Dependent

hey alfarom, is O'Driu sending out samples in the mail? any idea how i can get a hold of em? i could use some fox fur breath and diamond mine absolute in my life.

...lighter on the clove and definitely stronger on the resins...
    That ought to be something. Tramping around in fir branches from a cut-down fir tree is a lot like Grev, so it will be interesting to see how this note could be even stronger.

I personally admit to be curious how the identification of the company as decidedly 'urban' will twist the idea of the 'smell of the woods' this frag is told to evoke.
    You would have to live here in the Pacific Northwest to understand. Portland is the home of Forest Park, the largest undeveloped wild "urban park" in any US city. Mt. Saint Helens and Mt. Hood, and their accompanying forests, loom on the skyline to the east, and to the West, the Pacific Ocean and it's temperate rainforest are only a short drive away.

And really, "the company" is sort of like Andy Tauer : just one devoted guy and his own unique vision.

the catharsis of self-worship.
    oy vey...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    Great write alfarom, can't wait to try it, it sounds wonderful!
    Yes, thanks for that!

I'm ordering their samples as well.

.... much lighter on the clove and definitely stronger on the resins. Norne avoids the "Tiger Balm" effect ...
    thank god, it's about time.

I'm wearing it as I type. It's pretty good, imo.

At first I thought it had vetiver in it, because in the beginning it smelled a lot like a pure vetiver oil I have, but after a few minutes it became more like that herbal smell you sometimes get when you walk in a forest after a day of heavy rain. There's something powerful to this, I would almost say 'healthy' and yes, it's strong too! Just put two drops on my wrists and it leaves a trace where I go. 30 minutes in and I'm curious to see where this is going. It's more mellow than when I first applied, think the drydown will be very nice.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post

Literally LOL
    (I love that character, especially how he tries so hard not to crack himself up, then covers his mouth with his hands to keep from laughing out loud)

I just got my set of samples also. Will smell this weekend and report back in.
    Interestingly, even the little 0.7 ml vial of Norne is quite dark.

Dependent

quick bump here, to confirm alfarom's comparison of Norne to Black Tourmaline. not only does the juice look similar, it smells quite similar too. norne is a bit frosty-pinier, while tourmaline is a little more turpentine/sawdusty. very similar imo.

Norne is an amazing scent - unlike anything I've smelled before. It smells really expensive.. if any other line would have put this out - it would have easily been over $300.
    Check out my new blog http://www.NotableScents.net

I've sampled it. Norne is fantastic. It fully meets all "Conehead" expectations. Superb, natural-smelling and with tremendous bright energy. My review in now in the directory.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Norne goes on fantastic, and soon turns yucky and nauseating - as in, it's a scrubber in the end. I'd rather spray myself with PineSol.
    Last edited by thebeck; 23rd September 2012 at 06:45 PM.

Out of my entire collection, which contains many, many woodsy fragrances, Norne is the the one that smells the most like an actual forest. Anybody on basenotes who is a fan of seriously woodsy fragrances should definitely seek out this one to (at least) try.

Basenotes Institution

Is this smoky?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Is this smoky?
    No, Mike, I don't find this one particularly smokey, just very green and earthy. His Jeke fragrance (which is also great, BTW) is smokier. I'd strongly recommend you try them both. Actually, several of the Slumberhouse fragrances are really excellent. So far, I own both of these two and Baque. I've got my eye on Sova next.