Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default SotD: Monday 27th Feb., 2012

Good Morning,

Another working week has begun...

SotD is Sous le Vent (from a sample - thanks L!)

SotE will be Cuir Mauresque. I'm off to the opera tonight to see Rusalka. Can't wait!

Have a lovely day, everyone.

Default Re: SotD: Monday 27th Feb., 2012

Enjoy your opera tonight, G.! Do they recognize you sitting in the dark in your box from the Cuir Mauresque smell alone?

Jicky pour moi.

Best to all

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Good morning !. Enjoy your evening of culture later, G - and I'm sure those around will appreciate your SotE too

SotD is Viktor and Rolf Spicebomb.

L'Artisan Traversée du Bosphore.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Brut

Almost the full combo. Shaving Cream, After Shave, Deodorant and Classic Cologne Splash.

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio
    Post Thanks / Like

Oud F. Kurkdjian (sample)
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning everyone For this grey and dull wintherday I'm in Coco edp. Hope you all have a smooth start of the week.

Post Thanks / Like

Bonjour!

Azzaro PH Intense

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Brut

Almost the full combo. Shaving Cream, After Shave, Deodorant and Classic Cologne Splash.
    I love Brut. I'll admit it.

Well, mmm, what to wear today..I think I am leaning towards Miss Boucheron.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, everyone! Never had a chance to post yesterday, had family over for my daughter's birthday. She's 25 now. How on earth did THAT happen?! I wore Ted Lapidus Silk Way, a subtle, soft, delicious floral-oriental.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    I love Brut. I'll admit it.
    - Me too! It's what my husband used to wear when we first met and started dating back in HS.

SOTD is Comme des Garçons Eau de Parfum. This is the original parfum, launched in 1994, a bracing blend of smoky incense, woods, Tiger Balm-like spices. The honey and rose float in and out, but take a back seat in this potent brew. "Works like a medicine, behaves like a drug." HOO-ah! (-:

Notes include labdanum, styrax, cedarwood, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper, honey, rose, cloves, nutmeg, incense, sandalwood

Wish you all a good start to your week!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Post Thanks / Like

Leather Oud (Dior)

Post Thanks / Like

Coromandel

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all. Honor des Pres Vamp A NYC
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yatagan by Caron.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone -

I'm in Balenciaga's Prélude for my modern dance class this morning. Y'all have a great day!

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Started with L'Instant Pour Homme, which I prefer to the feminine version.

It's pretty gloomy outside, so my scent of the afternoon will have to be something to counteract the dreariness.

Post Thanks / Like

Dia by Amouage

Post Thanks / Like

G., the music in Mermaid does not appeal to me very much, however the show part of it -- the costumes, the plot, stageworks, lights -- does. Who is doing it?

E., thanks for aiding to include one of my favorites into the Directory.

L'Or.

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfie - you're welcome, of course, and it was my pleasure! (You are referring to 8e Jour, right?)
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've been so busy these last two months. It's been RSV and flu season in my neck of the planet. And so I was so shocked to see a package in my mailbox last Friday. It was from Dominique Dubrana, Profumo of La Via del Profumo. In it was his Oud Caravan project.

I need a place to document what I'm trying today. And that's why I posting here on SoTD, so I can remember what I've tried when. Today, I'm on Oud Caravan No. 2.

I think the decision has already been made to go with No. 3, but I'm trying them in sequence anyway.

Very dungy. I smell the oud a bit. Not like Black Oud, but oudy.

I remarked on the group forums that No. 1 made me think of a guy I met on a plane trip. He told me I reminded him of his sister, who also traveled alone. She had gone to China to ride the Spice Trail, and she spent 3 months out there riding camels. When she came back home to Hong Kong her black hair was bleached red, and he hardly recognized her.

Both No. 1 and No. 2 remind me of this woman. And I never even met her.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Post Thanks / Like

E., right.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: SotD: Monday 27th Feb., 2012

P A T C H O U L Y

M A Z Z O L A R I

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Good morning!

It's beautiful this morning, bright and sunny. The kind that makes all the new snow sparkle. We only received a couple of inches, so we fared pretty well through the snow storms this weekend, others weren't as lucky.

Sampling Diptyque Philosykos this morning, with notes of fig tree leaves, wood and cedar. Very realistic fig note. Excellent! Makes me think of summer, for some reason. Wish it lasted a little longer, but I like it.

Wishing you all a very happy Monday!!

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning! My SOTD is Caron L'Anarchiste.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Hope everyone's week is starting off right! Cristalle EDT today.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rarely I've seen a pack so fascinating as the Anarchiste one. But as I touch the flacon a fastidious fingerprint is there

Today with me Etro Gomma Cologne.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good morning!

I'm once again experimenting with White Lilac & Rhubarb (sorry to bore you all! ) and this time I've layered it over Woods of Windsor True Rose. While the combination smells okay, both fragrances lose distinctiveness in this combo, and I won't repeat it.

My used Highland Lilac bottle is officially up for grabs (free) to anyone in the USA-- first come first served! PM me your address if I don't have it. Edit: Still available!

I'm off to pick up my mother's meds, can't be delayed, and I hope the ibuprofen I took tides me over. I'm still quite sore in the muscle I pulled.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 27th February 2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: updated

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello, my most special friends. I haven’t caught up on reading posts yet, but Leesee sent a sweet PM of concern, so I must, at minimum, confirm all is well. I kept thinking I’d get back in my BN groove “the day after next,” but …

Distraction #1: The Kindle Fire (product name, not combusting event). After polishing off the latest round of work, I got away from the computer. The Kindle allowed me to ravenously consume HGTV.com episodes and check email, but the touchpad does not afford useful typing, so it’s not been conducive to posting.

Distraction #2: A blueprint. As most of you know, we live in a two-room school with our boomerang daughter. It finally occurred to me how, with some upheaval, we could configure one classroom to become a separate apartment for her. I developed a blueprint, presented it to DH, DD and her BF, telling her she has a year to think about the offer. In that time, her BF will be done with school, and they can finally pick a direction in life.

Distraction #3: An article promoting my video. Wild Ones Journal requested I write an article about Landscaping: Pride, Science, and Law. It takes me days to get a paragraph just right, so that sucked up the tick-tock.

On the subject of perfume ...

I learned that when I don’t make a point of posting SotD, I don’t desire applying perfume until afternoon. Interesting. I also enjoyed catching my husband’s fragrance on the wind more often when I was sans scent. Among the scents generously contributed by Hillaire, Cacio and lilkcceleb for the big cats project, I discovered an attraction for PdN Cologne Sologne (that's due to Cacio wisdom). It has surprising lasting power for a 4711- or neroli-type cologne.

No SotD yet. Have to shower, do laundry, and commence a boodle of ebay sales (childhood toys) in order to keep clearing out the other classroom. So it goes!
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    I remarked on the group forums that No. 1 made me think of a guy I met on a plane trip. He told me I reminded him of his sister, who also traveled alone. She had gone to China to ride the Spice Trail, and she spent 3 months out there riding camels. When she came back home to Hong Kong her black hair was bleached red, and he hardly recognized her.

Both No. 1 and No. 2 remind me of this woman. And I never even met her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    It's beautiful this morning, bright and sunny. The kind that makes all the new snow sparkle.
    ^^^Both of these posts made me smile.^^^

Quarry, thank you so much for stopping by to say hello. We really miss you but totally understand that sometimes life has other plans for us than whiling away the hours on Basenotes (!!).

I have a new kindle fire too, and I agree it isn’t conducive to typing text, but so much fun otherwise, eh?

I also find I can go all day until later in the afternoon sans fragrance if I don’t stop by SotD first. It is a nice change sometimes to enjoy catching whiffs of others’ fragrances and the natural scents around us, rather than our own perfume day in and day out. A couple of years ago (I think), Divatologist posted about her fragrance free day and how hyper-aware she was of all of the environmental scents around her.

I haven’t selected a SotD yet. I’m still trying to get myself over to the gym. I feel pulled in several fragrance directions mentally – two or three fragrances in disparate genres are calling my name - but when it comes time to choose I usually let impulse rule.

I hope everyone is having a good Monday. I don’t want anyone to throw rotten tomatoes at me, but I LIKE Mondays.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    G., the music in Mermaid does not appeal to me very much, however the show part of it -- the costumes, the plot, stageworks, lights -- does. Who is doing it?
    Ooh, I love the music above all else. It is on at Covent Garden (Royal Opera House), and is a revival of an '08 production from the Salzburg festival. Not to be an opera bore, but I'm happy to know that the setting has been updated from a forest & castle affair to the seedy backstreets of somewhere-or-other. Honestly, as much as I love my opera and ballet, I do get tired of forest glade sets. We'll see...

Lovely to see you back, Q!

Post Thanks / Like

Mauboussin♥ today.

Post Thanks / Like

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back Mrs Q - we are the poorer without your presence here.

SotE - Penhaligon's Racquets Formula.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been sampling Frangipane by Chantecaille this past weekend and I'm continuing today !

RaindropSparkle
    - Tiare is lovely - green ,lightly spicey floral , aromatic !

Have a positive new week , lovely Basenoters !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This thread is so lovely today. You are all gorgeous.

Trying O'Driu Ladamo today.

Post Thanks / Like

So good to get your update, Quarry! Lotsa fun stuff going on with you!

Aiona, I need to read your post again later, because a few lovely phrases caught my eye but I have to get to work now.

Everyone smells especially lovely this morning. Take care, all.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Monday everyone!!

I am in 3 Fleurs from Parfum d'Empire. This one somehow does not fit the theme of the PdE collection, but it is lovely, as long as it is applied with a very light hand.

Always hoping not to make anybody unconfortable at work.

Have a lovely week!!
    Evenstar

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

SotM was contemporary Poison which I now find suitable for daywear it having lost it's association with the vintage version. SotA was Amouage Gold Man a sample of which I had in my purse from Friday.
    SotE is the remains of Gold Man

So well, you are a good girl, Quarry, stopping by as requested by many here. Good to hear your update!
    More Jicky... I have a serious dirty lavender issue! Do I need therapy now?

Post Thanks / Like

Good evening everyone.

Wore Tam Dao.

Hope everyone has a great day.
    Enjoy the opera Gandhajala.

for swap/sale:

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nobile Royalty by Alexander de Costa today
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Post Thanks / Like

Oh gosh -- I forgot, I thought it is today! -- yesterday was my 7-year BN anni, so counting in BN (like dog) years, I am officially old -- 70!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh gosh -- I forgot, I thought it is today! -- yesterday was my 7-year BN anni, so counting in BN (like dog) years, I am officially old -- 70!

Congrats Wolfie - by eerie coincidence your post count is also hovering perilously close to 7777.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow! Well deserved congratulations to a venerable Basenotes Stateswoman! Jon, well spotted.

Go Wolfie. Make it 7777. That has to be good Karma!

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Went for familiar and comfortable, vintage Weil Antilope. I think this is a frequent monday frag for me.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all. Nice to catch up with everyone's news, especially from those who have been away or too busy to post.

Get well soon 30Roses and anyone else under the weather.

Congrats Twolf!

Belle en Rykiel for me today.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mom fell. She's okay, but this was preventable.

Mom started group exercise class 2 weeks ago by recommendation of her PT when she was discharged from formal physical therapy, to build strength. balance etc.

Today at class she missed her chair and sat on the floor. She would not have fallen if she had reached back for the chair before sitting. She's been taught the safe way to sit, of course, and we keep reminding her-- I remind her every single time she has to sit, when I am with her, and so does the caregiver-- but she can't retain it. At class, there was no one to remind her.

I have a feeling it's just a matter of time until she refractures.

We are in the process of trying to see if she can ever be safe on her own again, and this was a major setback.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dear, dear me. How I adore each of you. ((((((Hugs, 30Roses)))))))

Nifty events just keep unfolding faster than I can process. Just since this morning I learned two things worth reporting:

Someone I swapped with at MakeUpAlley just told me she can be seen in an upcoming episode of HGTV's House Hunters. Now I understand why she was extraordinarily generous in her swap -- she was preparing to move.
    House Hunters episode HNT-5803H
    Scheduled to air March 5 (it should eventually be available online at HGTV.com)
    Doug and Marion are ready to trade life on their 1,300 acre ranch in Wyoming for the hip, college town of Bozeman, Montana. But even with a budget of 1 million dollars, finding a place that's both good for horses and has tons of character isn't easy. Making it even trickier, this couple needs two separate master suites, since Marion suffers from bouts of shrieking night terrors.

... AND [this gives me both goosebumps and sweats] ...

Olivia Bransbourg, publisher of ICONOfly magazine and creator of Attache-Moi (perfumers Christine Nagel and Benoist Lapouza) just sent me a link to an interview wherein she mentions little old Quarry. I'll post the video in a separate thread.

SotD recently applied: Attache-Moi!

I'm getting nothing done today. Isn't it great?
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Gandhajala, hope you have a lovely night at the opera! We saw Albert Herring a few days ago, and let’s just say I think I would have enjoyed a modern staging of Rusalka much better! Lol…

Larimar, I hope this week sees you feeling much better!

Congrats Twolf! Wow, 7 years… impressive!

Quarry, I can’t wait to look at your landscaping videos!!! I will keep that up in a tab as motivation (bribe to myself) to keep me going until my next study break! Lol

30 Roses, So sorry to hear of your mom’s fall and problems. That is so stressful. I know firsthand how difficult it can be to care for someone with dementia and failing health, so please make sure to rest and be kind to yourself too! (((Hugs)))

Wearing vintage Champagne by YSL in a vain attempt to add some fun to my day…

Hope everyone has a great Monday!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy 7 years on Basenotes and many many more to come, Twolfie !!! Many hugs and kissies !

This afternoon, I am wearing Melograno by Santa Maria Novella and I'm also testing 1873 Colette by Histoires de Parfums ( love it. )

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Cabaret by Gres

HANG IN THERE EVERYONE!!!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Post Thanks / Like

Hello again -

I'm now in Agent Provocateur Strip. Y'all have a nice evening!

Happy Anniversary, Wolfie!

((30 Roses)) - hugs to you and your mom.

Post Thanks / Like

Yest best wishes and a deep breath to all who are stressed. Today once again outrageously fruity in the magnificent combo of Mure et Musc Extreme over Body Shop Mango lotion.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my ((( 30 Roses )))
    Larimar- are you still sick ? Get better babe !
    Everyone feel better !

I'm back to black - with my hair that is......and carrying on with clouds of Melograno .

Post Thanks / Like

:Congrats, Twolf ! That's some milestone.
    Here's to a fabulously fragrant 7 more

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, it's a tough day out there for everyone - I thought it was just me. I am on medication (antibiotics) and they are making me nauseous and I'm constantly running to the bathroom. Ugh! My infection is going away but the stomach trouble is just the worst. I have never had a sensitive stomach, but now that' I've been experiencing this for several days now, I realize why people who suffer from stomach problems complain so much. Gosh, poor Ray, I'm acting like such a baby tonight. Tonight I had to miss going to the Radiohead concert (they open up the N. American tour in Miami and I'm missing it!!!) and tomorrow is Ray and mine's 14th year Anniversary and all I can think about is how wonderful it would be to eat something else besides white rice and seltzer water. (burp)

30 roses - give your momma a hug from me
    Quarry, I know what you mean with the mobile devices vs. the PC's...you can't have your cake & eat it too. Oh well...I'm glad you're doing well and now I definitely want to smell that Attache Moi sample you gifted me. Hugs.
    Larimar - you're not the only one in a dirty lavender mood today, I was awash in Mouchoir de Monsieur it seemed like the only scent I could tolerate with this stomach thing. I know that sounds weird, right? But it's true.
    Aiona - how cool that you got to sample those, I hadn't heard of those scents until now. Excited to hear more about them.
    Ms. Wolf - Happy 7! BN is a better place because you are here...I always look forward to reading your posts.

Oh yeah, my SOTD...

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

Captain Le Mouchoir de Monsieur (the BN member, not the fragrance) would be proud of me, I simply doused myself with this, today, probably 20-30 sprays. I still can smell it, clearly, at 7pm this evening.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mike, poor you! I hope you don't spend any more time "talking to Ralph on the big white phone".

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no! (((hugs))), 30 Roses.

Congratulations to Twolf! xo

Mike, take a good probiotic (you can get them at Whole Foods) alternating with the antibiotic. (((hugs))) to you, too, honey.

I'm wearing AG Gardenia Passion this evening. I've had this so long it is an old friend and comfort scent now.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm wearing Trouble today.

Quarry, nice to hear your exciting news!

Hugs and virtual chicken soup to Mike and anyone else feeling poorly ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu