Default jasmine perfume? a real one?

hi
    i have tried

jasmal by creed
    alien
    woods of windsor jasmine
    chanel no 5
    yardley london jasmine

out of these, only thing that smells like jasmine to me is yardley... but that too isnt 100% real.... i ll say it has captured the real scent 50%..... so im looking for a jasmine perfume which smells like real jasmine flowers.... any ideas please?

thank you

Blog Entries

Default Re: jasmine perfume? a real one?

Hi gayani, welcome to basenotes!

My favourite jasmine is Montale's Jasmin Full; a beautiful, airy jasmine with great sillage & longevity.
    lf you want a dirtier, more animalic jasmine, try Jasmin by Bruno Acampora.
    Others you may want to try; A la Nuit by Serge Lutens, Love & Tears by By Kilian, & Lust by Lush/Gorilla perfumes.

Apart from Lust, you can get samples of all of these from Luckyscent.com.

Happy sniffing, & do let us know which ones you like!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

A difficult field IMO... I have posted a similar question months ago and have sampled a lot meanwhile. Many perfumes (in particular vintage) have jasmine as a big player in their composition (many times a classical heart of jasmine-rose-Ylang-ylang with different emphasis), so it will depend vastly on what exactly you like or want.

I still stick to Neil Morris Gandhara for a dirty jasmine fix, although this has other great helpers in the composition, too.

If you like the rather fruity (little indolic) kind of jasmine (candied, sweet), the Caron jasmine is yours. You could try Acaciosa. It is a Caron boutique exclusive or can be sampled from ThePerfumedCourt or others that sell decants.

I would definitely try Patou's Joy in the parfum form.

Amouage has a jasmine attar (which is reasonably priced) that has a citrusy undertone. It is nice, but not exactly my style.

You asked for 'real perfume' and I am assuming 'real quality', so these can't be just found around the corner.

+1 on Joy. A few more suggestions...

Drama Nuui
    Night Scented Jasmine

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

It might not be a traditional fragrance house per say, but Tom Ford's Jasmine Musk is the bomb for me. Very strong and long lasting (as you'd expect from an Eau de Parfum) and very "real". Can't recommend it enough.

I'll second a number of suggestions, especially Love & Tears ( very pure and clean ) and Gandhara ( rich, with an earthy-patchouli base ) and add Sarrasins ( leathery base, but a truer jasmine note to my nose than A La Nuit ) and possibly Nuda ( dark, indolic, a touch glassy, but true ). Love & Tears and Sarrasins are the closest to nature I know.

Also consider buying a small amount of jasmine absolute. It won't have the same oomph a modern eau de parfum would, but you can't get more jasmine-y than a pure extract like that.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 9th September 2011 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Also consider buying a small amount of jasmine absolute. It won't have the same oomph a modern eau de parfum would, but you can't get more jasmine-y than a pure extract like that.
    I'd second that, but with this caution - in its pure form jasmine absolute from Jasminum grandiflorum (the usual species) isn't as nice as you might expect - it's lovely when diluted but decidedly fecal at full concentration. So if you buy some of that, you might want to dilute it in alcohol or a carrier oil.

Another alternative (but more expensive) is to buy Jasmine Sambac Absolute - from Jasminum sambac - which, in a good batch at least, will have a lovely sweet jasmine-on-the-evening-air scent.

I used a mix of the two for my Simple Essence of Jasmine
    Last edited by Chris Bartlett; 9th September 2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: added italics
    A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.”
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Olene by Dipqtue. The jasmine reference IMO.
    And Sarassins by Serge Lutens (Paris exclusive).

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

The Le Labo jasmin is very nice

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

I'm seconding and thirding (??) the "a la nuit" and "love and tears" recommendations. My neighbour has jasmine in her garden and these two smell very real!

A la Nuit is the jasmine's closest scent I know and own. It is truly realistic, even more, I dare to say, than the jasminum officinalis oil.

Quote Originally Posted by lgarruda View Post
    A la Nuit is the jasmine's closest scent I know and own. It is truly realistic, even more, I dare to say, than the jasminum officinalis oil.
    This!

Gayani, I would suggest you to try: Jasmin the Nuit from Different company. That is the most pure creamy jasmine I ever experienced. It must be that there is some absoulute inside. It have quite long staying power, but sillage is not great. Anyhow it is woth trying it.

How about Amouage's Jasmine or Tayyiba attars?

Adding to the votes for Kilian Love & Tears and SL A la Nuit. Cant go wrong with either one!

Thierry Mugler Alien and Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Jasminora!

I secound Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Jasminola!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Basenotes Institution

Maison Dorin 's Fullah . ( Excellent stuff but available in Europe only. )
    +1 Jasmin by Bruno Acampora.
    +1 S L A la Nuit
    Also Nuda by Nasomatto .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

so many things to try.. i hope i ll find one which smells 100% like jasmine thank you

Jasmine essential oil is so very expensive that most jasmine scents are partially synthetic.

Try the Jasmin EDT by Molinard. This is a jasmine soliflore.

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...60_perfum.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

MPG's Jasmin is a favorite of mine.
    A lovely jasmine & amber scent is done by Kingsbury Fragrances. http://kingsburyfragrances.com/
    Just use the website to contact Dorothy, it does not do justice to all of her products. Let her know Christine sent you.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Basenotes Institution

You could try Ko Denmark which uses only natural jasmine absolute and neroli essential oil .

Hey gayani, just saw your thread. I just tried Love and Tears and find it very realistic.

For me, the realistic jasmine scent is Serge Lutens - Un Lys (after head notes)

One day, on my usual road for going work i smelled a familiar white flower odor...the next day i smelled it again and remembered it was Un Lys. I really though someone there was wearing Un Lys but the nexts days it continued to smell the same odor at the same place of the street. So i decided to stop, frustrated, for looking who was wearing Un Lys and i finished to move up my head and saw a huge jasmine bush in the private court of a building just next.

These are all great suggestions....adding L'Artisan La Haie Fleurie, which is a somewhat mossy jasmine.

Also, for a very simple, light, non-indolic jasmine I like Donna Karan's Jasmine Essence. It's very similar in smell to the Oscar Blandi Jasmine hair products, which I'm a fan of.

Default jasmin sambac solifore and gardenia solifore?

hi

i asked a question here some time ago about a jasmine perfume. http://www.basenotes.net/threads/283...ume-a-real-one
    got replies, tried perfumes but didnt find what i want

now i know i didnt find what i want because what i wanted is a jasmin sambac solifore.
    i tried a lot of perfumes but they had jasmine plus a 100 other smells.

so can you please tell me about jasmin sambac solifore perfumes ?

and do you know any gardenia solifore perfumes?

thank you so much.

Default Re: jasmin sambac solifore and gardenia solifore?

From that thread, which did you try? What did you think of Love & Tears?

For gardenia, the most accessible and good is Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia, but I'd say that my favorite is still the costly Jardenia.

Blog Entries

You had some great & varied suggestions in that other thread; did you try all of them? l can't think of any l would add.

As for gardenia, l second Sugandaraja's suggestions, & add Gardenia Petale by Van Cleef & Arpels.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Olene by Diptyque as a jasmine.

for swap/sale:

for jasmine soliflore, I'd suggest looking to the east.

al qurashi's royal jasmine is dense, good and inexpensive.
    arabian oud also has quality jasmine.
    ajmal also has (or had) some excellent soliflores, jasmine being amongst them.

I'm surprised neither suga or hedonist mentioned them
    Last edited by sarıpatates; 28th February 2012 at 11:54 AM.

I wonder if with the IFRA restriction, Saripatates might be right after all - only in Arabian perfumery will one find true jasmine extract (and provided that Amouage doesn't further water down its quality).

+1 the $$$ Jardenia for gardenias.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    for jasmine soliflore, I'd suggest looking to the east.

al qurashi's royal jasmine is dense, good and inexpensive.
    arabian oud also has quality jasmine.
    ajmal also has (or had) some excellent soliflores, jasmine being amongst them.

I'm surprised neither suga or hedonist mentioned them
    My experience in Egypt was that they were very variable, and often adulterated. The great ones were great; I have some "Ful Saudi" ( sambac ) that might be what the OP seeks, but you had to sniff the oil before buying, as the same name was never a guarantee of the same product.

Basenotes Institution

+ 1 Jardenia !!!!!!!!!!!

+1 Estee Lauder Tuberose Gardenia for gardenia and also Kai perfume oil /EDP for cool , fresh budding gardenia. ( I've done a '360' on Kai recently )

( Jasmine A la Nuit by Sergie Lutens . Love & Tears, Nuda by Nasomatto , Jasmin by Bruno Acampora. )

Blog Entries

Isn't sambac the same as pikake? I suggest you try Pacifica Waikiki Pikake. Inexpensive and very pleasant. I don't think they ship out of the USA though-- not sure where you are located.

For gardenia, I've never smelled a truer one than JAR Jardenia but wow, the price-- and the difficulty in buying it (other than in person.)

Chantecaille Pétales has a lovely gardenia top note but it evolves into tuberose and other notes. My daughter loves it. Maybe worth sampling?

Then of course there is good ol' Kai, a green gardenia which some love and some scorn. Worth a try in my opinion. Try the roll-on oil first, rather than the edt.

Jo Malone's new company, Jo Loves, has Gardenia -- have not tried it yet, not available in the USA yet. http://www.joloves.com/fragrances/gardenia

i tried joy, olene, Montale's Jasmin Full and a la nuit. i couldnt get love and tears on ebay. any site you know which will ship it to sri lanka?

Quote Originally Posted by gayani View Post
    i tried joy, olene, Montale's Jasmin Full and a la nuit. i couldnt get love and tears on ebay. any site you know which will ship it to sri lanka?
    first in fragrance and luckyscent.com should post to Sri Lanka.

for swap/sale:

im looking for some single floral note perfumes. i have jasmine and gardenia in my garden and they smell wonderful. i have never smelled any perfume which smell like those. may be they cant be duplicated? i got some jasmine oil called song of india and it does not smell like jasmine

this is off topic. but hedonist222, i see you live in abu dhabi. do you know any place which will ship sapil young heart perfume to sri lanka? and have you tried sapil's "just jasmine" ?

Blog Entries

Then there were many fragrances suggested in your other thread that you haven't tried. l highly recommend that you try Bruno Acampora Jasmin, Nasomatto Nuda & By Kilian's Love & Tears. Luckyscent.com is the place to get samples of these.

Do you have Lush shops in Sri Lanka? Their Lust perfume is worth a try, l think.

teardrop, we do not have lush shops here.
    im going to order some samples from luckyscent

luckyscent does not ship to sri lanka

Jasmin Vert by Miller Harris, very realistic interpretation of this beautiful flower :-)

its soliflore. sorry about that. so... i guess i dont have a way to sample these