Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Classics for the win.

Default Re: Which male fragrances do women really, really hate?

Quote Originally Posted by lehmt View Post
    Polo; my girlfriend can't stand that stuff on me.
    My wife love Polo 2018 batch code, point proven each nose is different she also likes my collection so far not that I’d care ha.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    I wonder how much of this has to do with perceived sincerity. The effect I try for with a scent is essentially to give the impression I was born smelling this way. Therefore I would take any comment on how I smell as an indication I was somehow acting out of character-- trying to stand out from the crowd, trying to look too old or too young, trying to show I was smarter or cooler or just different from everyone else. To me, a complement always has a barb to it. If someone tells me "You look nice today" I translate as "For once, you don't look like an absolute slob." So if someone tells me I smell nice, it suggests to me that usually I don't. I am really more comfortable with negative comments because I tend to take them as more sincere.
    Wow. That is a unique way to look at the world. I definitely give out compliments just as a compliment. No ulterior motive other than making the person feel nice or noticing they put in effort on whatever it may be.

I wonder if your personality is why the compliments you get have barbs to them. I'm not sure if I would be giving you many compliments based on the personality you have shown on this thread...it's cynical, almost hostile for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    A piece of advice, never ask them as you may not like the answer.
    I agree with this, and ThrilledChilled made me laugh, my wife hates about 90% of the frags I put in front of her nose. Tom Ford Oud Wood was followed up with a "please tell me that's just a sample". It's funny cause the ones I'm most excited for I feel, are the ones she shuts down the most. I mean, some I'm just going to wear because I like them, but others I get it and respect her nose not to wear them.

But almost anything Oud is out, orientals are also hit or miss.

Nerf Herder

Well, they all hate Eau Di'arrhea.

Other than that... I 'unno?

One of the few things I've learned as a human in my time on this planet of earth is I'm never really going to understand women and lumping them into a single group for the sake of generalities is a lazy and silly practice.

If you're looking to attract attention, wear what you feel suits you with confidence. Even if they don't like your smell, they might like you anyway.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Can only speak for myself but it depends on the guy.

Certain fragrances can smell great on one person's skin but not so great on another's. I am not a huge fan of aquatics or the very fresh scents generally, but I'm sure there are some exceptions.

Most girls I've known or dated depending on their age, weren't huge fans of some 80's classics, such as Eternity, Obsession, Drakkar….I think they associate that as older/dated.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

This is an interesting take. Here is my two cents from what I have gathered in my short amount of time spent in the fragrance game. My wife will let me know, without hesitation, if she likes what I am wearing or not. There are some that she smelled way into the dry down that she really liked and asked what they were. But I have noticed that if she smells my fragrance right when I spray it then she will say that I “over did it”.. and I am thinking well, I did just spray 4 sprays 5 minutes ago so yea. But I think if you carry yourself with confidence and keep good hygiene then a fragrance can really change the perspective of what people think about you whether you’re trying or not. One of the best compliments I ever got was with Antaeus. I wear fragrances for myself because trying to impress people by smelling good never comes across as something I would like.

A couple of my wife’s favorites in my collection are Creed Royal Oud and Mancera Cedrat Boise.

The ones she don’t like is Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2012 and TDH

Quote Originally Posted by adamn2020 View Post

The ones she don’t like is Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2012 and TDH
    My wife loves those two. Obviously, every woman has different tastes, just like us.
    Currently wearing: Himalaya by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    My wife loves those two. Obviously, every woman has different tastes, just like us.
    I love both of those! Haha Maybe she will come around one day.

I don´t know. And never will.
    Best,
    BruceB

the smell of beer

There is a substantial amount my wife dislikes at this point. A couple of beloved fragrances here. GIT,TDH, Dior Eau Sauvage, and Aventus. I honestly feel as that most not all women like more of the mainstream scents. Obviously that probably changes with locations that you live.

Quote Originally Posted by AAVDB View Post
    just heard from a date she ''hated my perfume'' I was flabbergasted really.
    Weird to hear. You can understand it didn't work out

Herod - Parfums the Marly
    Honestly not surprised. There are some upmarket yet popular fragrances that are just stunning to me - I find almost no saving grace to justify either their prestige, popularity, or price. Herod is one of those. Tobacco Vanille would be another. I 'get' the vanilla in something like Stronger With You by Armani, even if I wouldn't wear it. I can understand wanting to wear a niche tobacco scent, or something weird and unique but animalic, or something pungent etc. But when it's *trying* to be mass appealing and sexy - like I think Herod and TV are - and fails miserably, while charging ridiculous prices at the same time, I'm left totally confused.

I don't think this is a case of just 'taste', either.

Anyway, what do women hate? Anything strong, masculine, and dark - you know, the good stuff for the colder weather. Ouds, spices, resins, incense, dark woods, animalics. The 'hit' rate on those drop significantly in my opinion - women by default considering anything 'too strong' and not 'light/fresh' as offensive, and I get that. It is what it is - there's a programming to dismiss what most of us went through in the difficult learning period to develop noses and tastes etc. when it comes to fragrance. 95% of women, at least in the UK, will never go past that point. In fact, if you took the women of fragrantica, I'd say the vast majority of them are obsessed with all the degrees of women's perfume, but most would happily never encounter a 'male' fragrance, even the sexy designers, let alone the aforementioned notes of ouds and spices etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    A piece of advice, never ask them as you may not like the answer.
    Exactly that. It's why everyone should probably have a 'sexy' scent for evenings out (Layton for me) and a largely inoffensive yet appealing signature scent (Aventus - god, how predicable). Save the avant garde and animalic stuff for yourself or for specific situations. Or for singledom haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    If a girl is really in to you and you have some swagger, they'll be more receptive to a lot more fragrances.

But if you're average looking I've noticed that Dior Fahrenheit, Polo and Drakkar Noir are one's they claim to really dislike. Pretty much anything that's either old school, or thick and heavy. The more animalic, the more likely they'll think you stink.
    I can't think of any relatively modern ones that have gotten bad results.
    Humbly, I'm pretty good looking. In my experience, there's a pretence of liking weird and masculine stuff, particularly among girls who are, for want of a better word, edgy in one degree or another, but basically all women prefer the typical stuff, irrespective of the attractiveness of the wearer.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by tracerbullet View Post
    " Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    I wonder how much of this has to do with perceived sincerity. The effect I try for with a scent is essentially to give the impression I was born smelling this way. Therefore I would take any comment on how I smell as an indication I was somehow acting out of character-- trying to stand out from the crowd, trying to look too old or too young, trying to show I was smarter or cooler or just different from everyone else. To me, a complement always has a barb to it. If someone tells me "You look nice today" I translate as "For once, you don't look like an absolute slob." So if someone tells me I smell nice, it suggests to me that usually I don't. I am really more comfortable with negative comments because I tend to take them as more sincere."

Wow. That is a unique way to look at the world. I definitely give out compliments just as a compliment. No ulterior motive other than making the person feel nice or noticing they put in effort on whatever it may be.

I wonder if your personality is why the compliments you get have barbs to them. I'm not sure if I would be giving you many compliments based on the personality you have shown on this thread...it's cynical, almost hostile for no reason. "
    I actually agree with the original post. I think basically the same as well - have fragrance become part of you, but I don't want it to smell overly natural, don't want to try and convince people it's bodily or anything more than deodorant, but equally trying too hard is olfactive fancy dress, and that's just cringe. Signature worthy scents should be the aim in my opinion, and that's the case for me. If a stranger compliments you, fine. But I'd much rather hear 'oh he always smells nice' as other people discuss than the alternative - positive reinforcement to my face, which is as mentioned, an indiciation that this is something different to the norm. I've had that with clothing - I used to dress in rags to go to work wear we wore a uniform for a while, and then when I dressed normally for a while, someone said 'oh have you got a date' which...yeah, there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Humbly, I'm pretty good looking. .
    there you go

Blog Entries

All depends on which age/demographic you're aiming for.

It depends on the woman. It also often depends on the age of the woman. I don't want to generalize but I will.
    For example modern sweet scents in general tend to be a turn off for women over let's say the age of 40. Women over a certain age also tend to dislike fragrances that lean too feminine on a guy.

Women around my age and slightly younger 25-35...say...in the U.S. seem to like clean ambroxan, tonka and aquatic fragrances on men. Naturally, my wife hates most of the fragrances that I love which are mostly woody, leathery, animalic, musky or incense-driven.

Compliments are good and all, but the only fragrances I'm interested to add to my seduction arsenal are those that will make a woman temporarily lose their senses, follow you around to catch your sillage, and want to dig their face into you to take a deep inhale. So far my three (predictable) ones are: Sauvage EdT, Bleu de Chanel EdT, and La Nuit de l'Homme (2009 batch).

I agree that most girls just want the same thing in men and fragrances. Masculine, competent, clean, slight edge but not too much, and a sensual edge. I suspect a lot of men attracted to fragrances are more effeminate, introverted, eccentric, and too elitist to want to necessarily conform to what most women want or want to like mass pleasing designer fragrances. It breaks their illusion of wanting to be a special snowflake, and stabs at their insecurity that they might not be that attractive to women. This leads them to adopt a position where they believe they don't need to change. It is the women who are wrong. They believe they should just find a woman to appreciate them for who they are. This isn't necessarily wrong, just very inefficient and when taken to the extreme it becomes debilitating.

The most ridiculous straw man I hear is when people try to argue against the reality that some fragrances can have a significantly positive impact on a woman by claiming that fragrances will never be more important than being attractive and having social skills for seducing a woman. I'm pretty sure everyone already universally agrees that a seductive fragrance will only give you a minor boost, and that you have to be attractive yourself already.

^I would say that's all correct but aren't you straw manning your own straw man here?

Seen this and figured I’d tell youz what my wife says about what I wear and her thoughts. As a guy with a loving but frag finicky wife she hates a lot of my fragrances. But really loathes and tells negative things about these... LOL
    Such as:.....

Andy Tauer • AT Attar (Burning Rubber and Oil Refinery)
    Knize Ten • Knize Ten ( I smell like an elderly man)
    SMN • Pot Pourri (Same^ I smell like an elderly man)
    SMN • Nostalgia (I smell like motor oil)
    All Ouds ( except AgarAura, Cambodi Royale she likes )
    Diptyque • L’Eau (I smell like a spice cabinet)
    Diptyque • L’Autre (Same^ Good ol’ spice rack again...)
    Diptyque • Eau Lente (Whoa look! More spice rack)
    Diptyque • L’Eau Trois (Zoo)
    Diptyque • Tempo (ferret cage)
    Yep!!!... that’s what my Sfogliatelle thinks about some of the frags I wear... lololol...

A lot of my Diptyque’s she dislikes & There’s more... but I’ll spare you... lol you get the point... And laughs...
    “ Want for your brother, in what you would want for yourself ”

So you don't believe in either strawman?
    Last edited by foxbins; 29th January 2020 at 08:45 PM. Reason: deleted quoted trolling post

Dependent

Alternative title: "Which male fragrances do women really, really hate? And why should we even care?"

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Humbly, I'm pretty good looking.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Plum Japonais by Tom Ford

My girlfriend hates ambroxan, amberwood, and ambergris. Actually, I don't think she hates them but it gives her an asthma attack. Even if I wear Tuxedo by YSL she says she can't get close to me.

This whole thread is a mess since it assumes one woman = every woman SMH.............
    Top 10 Seasonal Favorites - Summer 2020:

Le Labo Bergamote 22
    Xerjoff Nio
    Xerjoff Renaissance
    Xerjoff Mefisto Gentiluomo
    Roja Elysium (extrait and Cologne)
    Roja Vetiver Cologne
    Fragrance Du Bois Oud Vert Intense
    Fragrance Du Bois London Oud
    Creed Erolfa
    MFK Gentle Fluidity Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    So you don't believe in either strawman?
    I believe in everything I wrote, including both perspectives. I wonder if you agree with what I wrote. Beginning to sound like you're itching to challenge me.

Quote Originally Posted by Celinman View Post
    I believe in everything I wrote, including both perspectives. I wonder if you agree with what I wrote. Beginning to sound like you're itching to challenge me.
    Lol...nah, I don't wanna get in the middle of you two.

All Is Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by herbert7890 View Post
    This whole thread is a mess since it assumes one woman = every woman SMH.............
    I don't really care what women like or don't like. I care about my wife very much, but she doesn't like any of the fragrances. Some are really bad for her, and those I avoid putting on large amounts of, but otherwise I don't pay much attention.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

" I suspect a lot of men attracted to fragrances are more effeminate, introverted, eccentric, and too elitist to want to necessarily conform to what most women want or want to like mass pleasing designer fragrances. It breaks their illusion of wanting to be a special snowflake, and stabs at their insecurity that they might not be that attractive to women. "

Nice point. Based on my time online I'd largely agree and think the same. This obsession with 'difference' and uniqueness, while dumping on the dark blue mass sellers, has constantly confused me.

"I would say that's all correct but aren't you straw manning your own straw man here? "

And yet I also agree with this.

I think the problem is discussing things online and turning fragrance in to something it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Alternative title: "Which male fragrances do women really, really hate? And why should we even care?"

lol wtf? there's no other way to say 'i look good and women approach me romantically/sexually' without sounding like a cock tbh.

also, isn't that a gif of the ex stripper who admitted to/gloated about drugging, raping, and robbing men? hmmm...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast