37 54.41%
  • Dzongkha

31 45.59%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Institution
    Miami, FL

Default Re: Timbuktu vs Dzongkha

Quote Originally Posted by Smells_Familiar View Post
    Strange...I own Dzongkha and have a sample of Timbuktu, and while it's been quite some time since I sniffed Timbuktu I remember thinking that both frags have a very similar vibe to them. Can't choose; I'll have to revisit them and compare side by side.
    This has been my experience. In my mind, these scents are so much alike, I can't tell the difference between them - in fact, it sort of always perplexed me as to why L'Artisan released 2 scents that are so alike. However, it sounds like my experience is the minority, as many of you above smell them as very different. I think there are notes in both that just leap out of the bottle and it's hard for me to smell 'around' them.

One of these days, I'm going to smell them side-by-side and really concentrate on their differences.

I will say this: I HATED both of these when I first smelled them, and after some time I really started to enjoy them. Total 180. Also, I remember Timbuktu yielding a couple of compliments one time when I wore it, which really surprised me, as it's such a 'strange' scent.
    "Reincarnation doesn't help you if in your next reincarnation you still don't know who you are"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Norne by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Plus
    Saint Louis, MO
    Blog Entries

I have both, love Timbuktu, like Dzongkha (a lot). Timbuktu wears best on me in cooler temps, Dzongkha in warmer ones. So I wear both and have been known to layer them. I'm kinda crazy about vetiver & incense scents.
    We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men. ~Herman Melville
    Currently wearing: Sådanne by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Institution
    Exactly Where I Should Be

Timbuktu .
    This one I loved from first sniff.
    Petty small minded people have no place in my life.
    Currently wearing: Angel by Thierry Mugler

A real mind blowing !

I just dont care for the smell of Dzongkha , cant explain why ..

No contest. Timbuktu is the aesthetic epitome of the genre, Dzonghka a misdirected fabric softener.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Today I'm full wearing Timbuktu the 2nd time (and 2nd day in a row).
    It is sooo good - I literally cant concentrate @ my work

olfactory orgasm !

Kuala Lumpur

I was overjoyed, when i smelled Timbuktu today..pure africanesque opening..just unbelievable but then after 15 just became a more cloying version of Terre D'Hermes - a headache inducing absolutely menacing scent.....Dzongka is nice but unusual, not enough to invest or get a bottle. what a shame, i had high hopes for you Timbuktu.

Louisville, KY

I prefer Dzongkha, although I rarely wear it. I've never warmed up to Timbuktu.

Bay Area, California

Of the two mentioned, I'm sure I've sampled both a few times before and Timbuktu is the one I find memorable.

They compliment each other so much. I've always felt they ought to be sold in pairs.
    for swap/sale:

They're very similar, and I've owned but Dzonkha has a (to me) ugly metallic note in the middle of it, which makes it hard to wear. Timbuktu is more versatile, easier to wear, and just wonderful.
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

Sa Majesté La Rose

Love them both, and do not find them very similar beyond the the Duchaufour feel and noteworthy use of incense.

Despite the categorization of woodsy, I rarely find much wood in Timbuktu. This is a spice rack, and the cumin note note can get a little cloying in warmer weather. I can only do it in the cold (and now that I live in Brazil... it's not getting much circulation).

I find Dzongkha to be all about the woods with a cool iris doing the same clever balancing act that makes Xerjoff´s leather (Homme) so beautiful. Dzongka is easier, cooler, more fresh and mystical and the cedar is spot-on. To me, Dzongkha smells like the name and geographic inspiration - quite worldly and oriental. (For some reason I have never been able to associate Timbuktu with Africa, where I have traveled a bit. In fact, Timbuktu doesn't fit the "Voyage" motif as the other gourmandy Duchaufour creations in the same L'Artisan series - of which I undoubtedly prefer Al Oudh and Traversee du Bosphore)

So I would not do without either, but find Timbuktu a bit prickly and sneeze-inducing at times - playing up in the treble clef. Dzongkha kicks some smooth bass, has a more settling effect, and is the slight winner for me.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    They're very similar, and I've owned but Dzonkha has a (to me) ugly metallic note in the middle of it, which makes it hard to wear. Timbuktu is more versatile, easier to wear, and just wonderful.
    Good to see you posting!
    for swap/sale:

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

I like both, but I prefere Timbuktu more.

By the way, Dzongkha is more weird and harder to wear.

I am going to wear Timbuktu again tomorrow.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage: Tribute Attar, Jubilation XXV, GoldMan
    ------ Serge Lutens: Chêne, Tubéreuse Criminell, Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore, Coromandel
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir, Tobacco Vanille
    ------- Hermès: Terre D'Hermès Parfum, Ambre Narguilé
    ------ EDP Frederic Malle: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Parfum MDCI: Invasion Barbare

Champion Thread Killer

The Big Blue Marble
    Blog Entries

I like Dzongkha enough to own a bottle. I tried Timbuktu from a friend's bottle and...nope, not for me.
    "Are you a god?"
    "Are you a wizard?"
    "Are you a man?"
    "Then what are you?"
    "I am awake.."
    Currently wearing: Acier Aluminium by Creed