37 56.06%
  • Dzongkha

29 43.94%

Default Timbuktu vs Dzongkha

Which do you prefer and why?
    How are their projection and longevity?

Default Re: Timbuktu vs Dzongkha

I voted for Timbuktu.

Both are okay with longevity. Though I think, Dzongkha has more projection than Timbuktu. Both are excellent juices. However, because I get a celery smell from Dzongkha, I voted for Timbuktu which I enjoy more.

I like the resin in Timbuktu. Both seem equal in projection and longevity.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I own neither of them, but I find Dzonghka more interesting.

Timbuktu, hands down. Great sillage and longevity, and remains graceful to the end.
    Dzongkha goes 'off' on my skin after just a little while, taking on a stale/'sticky' quality that turns me off.

IMO, Dzongkha is one of those perfumes that is much more interesting on a smelling strip than on skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I own neither of them, but I find Dzonghka more interesting.
    Same here...Believe it or not, I find that Kyoto shares more than a single similarity with Timbuktu but results overall more distinctive.
    Last edited by alfarom; 29th February 2012 at 08:54 AM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Own 'em both.

Timbuktu is a little friendlier, crisper, drier . . . Dzongkha seems more austere - never been to a Buddhist Monastery in Bhutan but I'm assuming they are not that different from Kathmandu Valley, and yeah, it's evocative of that in winter, wood, damp stone, a bit of smoke.

Dzongkha for me.

Thanks for the feedback!

I do have Amouage Epic and Jubiliation and CdG incense series under my consideration also.
    If that is the case, will Timbuktu be a better fit
    (I like this more than Hermes TdH which I plan to sell).? As Dzongkha sounds like a serene, meditative frag

Quote Originally Posted by spirit966 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!

I do have Amouage Epic and Jubiliation and CdG incense series under my consideration also.
    If that is the case, will Timbuktu be a better fit
    Short answer: No.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Short answer: No.
    Hahaha that means I should have Timbuktu, Dzongkha, Kyoto, Epic, Jubiliation, Avignon all in my collection!?

Quote Originally Posted by spirit966 View Post
    Hahaha that means I should have Timbuktu, Dzongkha, Kyoto, Epic, Jubiliation, Avignon all in my collection!?
    I think you should stick with Jub, the CDG and Dzongkha...I'm not much of a big fan of Tmbuktu, sorry

1. Jubilation XXV
    2. Avignon
    3. Kyoto
    4. L'Air du Désert Marocain
    5. Dzongkha
    6. Epic
    7. Timbuktu

Have and like both but prefer Dzongkha

Timbuktu Is my preference, last longer and more enjoyable.

Have both. They are something else. Amazing.

Will not choose between the two. Own both. They're that different and that good.

Maybe i like the tart opening of Timbuktu more.

Ok went and smelled them both just now.

Nope, like them equally. Masterpieces.

for swap/sale:

Lol, but you have to choose!!!

No!

You guys made me choose in the Serge Lutens thread and I painstakingly did but at least that was 3 perfumes.

no

for swap/sale:

Dzongkha by miles. There's something harsh and unpleasant about Timbuktu that really puts me off.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Same here...Believe it or not, I find that Kyoto shares more than a single similarity with Timbuktu but results overall more distinctive.
    This is exactly why I don't own Timbuktu yet. Every time I smell it, it reminds me strongly of Kyoto, which I already own.

Initially my choice was between Timbuktu, Kyoto and Dzonghka. I picked Kyoto, but still pined for Timbuktu (which I had previously sampled), so I ordered it. Then I came across a good deal on Dzonghka from someone on Fragrantica and bought it too. Of these three, if forced to choose at gunpoint, I would pick Timbuktu.

Since I am such an incense fan I ordered Jubilation XXV, which showed up 5 minutes ago and I haven't tried it yet.

Strange...I own Dzongkha and have a sample of Timbuktu, and while it's been quite some time since I sniffed Timbuktu I remember thinking that both frags have a very similar vibe to them. Can't choose; I'll have to revisit them and compare side by side.
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

Primarily vetiver and incense in one and vetiver and iris in the other.

for swap/sale:

And to be fair, Timbuktu, Dzongkha, and Kyoto are all Duchaufour creations, so it's no surprise there's a family resemblance (with Kyoto and Timbuktu almost identical twins).

Jubilation XXV, on the other hand, breaks out from the above three with its strong use of frankincense -- much more Western liturgical or Middle Eastern (as in the three wise men, honestly) than the African or Buddhist implications of the other three.

...a choice between delicious and...discontinued(as far as I am properly informed)...!

I used to like Dzongkha better; less acrid, more floral, but I've really grown to enjoy the rugged quality of Timbuktu. And now, I actually think I prefer it.

I prefer Timbuktu. It's one of my top favorite fragrances! I used to love Dzongkha almost as much, but iris and I have a shaky relationship these days.

Dzongkha

Wearing Timbuktu today.

I thoroughly enjoy the tart opening.

for swap/sale:

Use both, a small preference for Dzongkha for his uncommon irisy leitmotiv...

Either:good projection and longevity ,imo masterpieces.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Smells_Familiar View Post
    Strange...I own Dzongkha and have a sample of Timbuktu, and while it's been quite some time since I sniffed Timbuktu I remember thinking that both frags have a very similar vibe to them. Can't choose; I'll have to revisit them and compare side by side.
    This has been my experience. In my mind, these scents are so much alike, I can't tell the difference between them - in fact, it sort of always perplexed me as to why L'Artisan released 2 scents that are so alike. However, it sounds like my experience is the minority, as many of you above smell them as very different. I think there are notes in both that just leap out of the bottle and it's hard for me to smell 'around' them.

One of these days, I'm going to smell them side-by-side and really concentrate on their differences.

I will say this: I HATED both of these when I first smelled them, and after some time I really started to enjoy them. Total 180. Also, I remember Timbuktu yielding a couple of compliments one time when I wore it, which really surprised me, as it's such a 'strange' scent.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Timbuktu

Basenotes Plus

I have both, love Timbuktu, like Dzongkha (a lot). Timbuktu wears best on me in cooler temps, Dzongkha in warmer ones. So I wear both and have been known to layer them. I'm kinda crazy about vetiver & incense scents.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Basenotes Institution

Timbuktu .
    This one I loved from first sniff.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Timbuktu.

A real mind blowing !

I just dont care for the smell of Dzongkha , cant explain why ..

No contest. Timbuktu is the aesthetic epitome of the genre, Dzonghka a misdirected fabric softener.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Today I'm full wearing Timbuktu the 2nd time (and 2nd day in a row).
    It is sooo good - I literally cant concentrate @ my work

olfactory orgasm !

I was overjoyed, when i smelled Timbuktu today..pure africanesque opening..just unbelievable but then after 15 mins..it just became a more cloying version of Terre D'Hermes - a headache inducing absolutely menacing scent.....Dzongka is nice but unusual, not enough to invest or get a bottle. what a shame, i had high hopes for you Timbuktu.

I prefer Dzongkha, although I rarely wear it. I've never warmed up to Timbuktu.

Of the two mentioned, I'm sure I've sampled both a few times before and Timbuktu is the one I find memorable.

They compliment each other so much. I've always felt they ought to be sold in pairs.

for swap/sale:

They're very similar, and I've owned but Dzonkha has a (to me) ugly metallic note in the middle of it, which makes it hard to wear. Timbuktu is more versatile, easier to wear, and just wonderful.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Love them both, and do not find them very similar beyond the the Duchaufour feel and noteworthy use of incense.

Despite the categorization of woodsy, I rarely find much wood in Timbuktu. This is a spice rack, and the cumin note note can get a little cloying in warmer weather. I can only do it in the cold (and now that I live in Brazil... it's not getting much circulation).

I find Dzongkha to be all about the woods with a cool iris doing the same clever balancing act that makes Xerjoff´s leather (Homme) so beautiful. Dzongka is easier, cooler, more fresh and mystical and the cedar is spot-on. To me, Dzongkha smells like the name and geographic inspiration - quite worldly and oriental. (For some reason I have never been able to associate Timbuktu with Africa, where I have traveled a bit. In fact, Timbuktu doesn't fit the "Voyage" motif as the other gourmandy Duchaufour creations in the same L'Artisan series - of which I undoubtedly prefer Al Oudh and Traversee du Bosphore)

So I would not do without either, but find Timbuktu a bit prickly and sneeze-inducing at times - playing up in the treble clef. Dzongkha kicks some smooth bass, has a more settling effect, and is the slight winner for me.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    They're very similar, and I've owned but Dzonkha has a (to me) ugly metallic note in the middle of it, which makes it hard to wear. Timbuktu is more versatile, easier to wear, and just wonderful.
    Good to see you posting!

for swap/sale:

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

I like both, but I prefere Timbuktu more.

By the way, Dzongkha is more weird and harder to wear.

I am going to wear Timbuktu again tomorrow.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I like Dzongkha enough to own a bottle. I tried Timbuktu from a friend's bottle and...nope, not for me.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell