Code of Conduct

Default Male Frag Advice

Hi everyone

This is my first post after spending the past month or so scouring the forum pages and trying to figure out what I should try as a new fragrance. I have sent out for a few niche samples but as I don't really know what I'm doing this is turning into an expensive hit and miss exercise.

I was hoping that by listing the fragrances that I like and those that I don't you educated people might be able to point me in the right direction of things to try. I'm willing to treat myself so price shouldn't be (too) much of a consideration.

Prada - ambour pour homme (I wear this most days and absolutely love it)
    YSL - rive gauche (Big favourite too)
    Azzaro - chrome (I used to wear this all the time but I feel it's a bit common now)

Dislikes
    Paco Rabanne - 1 Million (yuk yuk yuk)
    YSL - Kouros - can't understand why this is so popular

Niches samples that I've tried - rating out of 10
    Creed - GIT - 8.5
    Amouage - reflection man - 8
    Creed -IM - 8
    Serge Lutens - chergui - 5
    Tom Ford - tobacco vanille - 3

Thanks in advance
    Mr G

Default Re: Male Frag Advice

Try Original Vetiver by Creed

Terre d'hermes, but if you're sampling niches I'm sure you either own or have at least tried it. I believe Prada's a bit powdery, so Dior Homme might work too. Try Montale's Black Aoud or L'eau d'Italie's Paestum Rose. Swap Azzaro for Mugler Cologne or Issey Miyake. You seem to enjoy light fragrances based around citrus and florals, and you seem to gravitate towards kind of soapy accords. Right? lol with that in mind Creed MI should make you happy

Blog Entries

Do you have a neiman marcus,saks, or Barneys near you? Def a less expensive way to sample
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

Considering how you like MI, Cereus #4 is another very appealing citrusy/fruity fragrance. Although it's not at all the same smell, I would compare it to Creed's MI as far as being a scent that most would find extremely (and immediately) alluring. Very few colognes have that rare, truly universal fragrance, where basically, if you're human, you like the smell. For most people, MI is one, and I think Cereus No. 4 is another one. I'm surprised that it doesn't have much greater popularity, but that's likely due, in part, to the exclusivity of Cereus. You just don't see it much or hear of it very often, and it's not carried by most online fragrance companies.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll definitely try your suggestions (including the Terre d'hermes which I haven't tried before).

@icanzapyou I think you're right about my preference although I haven't given it much thought before. What I like in a fragrance is for it to be a bit different and complex which is what my untrained nose found with the prada. One things for sure, I now know after sampling chergui and TM's TV is that I'm definitely not into vanilla or tobacco.

@charlie2000 I live in the UK so I can't visit those stores. Our UK equivalents don't seem to have the niche stuff (at least not the ones close to me). I don't mind continuing with the ordering of samples as long as I get a better idea of what to try - which is exactly what I'm getting from you guys.

Thanks again everyone.

H G,

I usually find it beneficial when people post thier likes, this way it makes it more practical to suggest alternatives.

But in your case, Your likes and dislikes aren't very indicative really.

Why did TV and Chergui not appeal to you?

By your likes I'd suggest Bond no.9 as a house to further explore.

for swap/sale:

Sound Scents

I recommend you give a sniff to some Eau de Colognes. A couple favorites of mine that should fit the bill are Acqua di Parma Colonia and Cologne du Parfumeur by Guerlain.

As for Terre d'Hermes, that is my favorite scent outright, but based on your likes and dislikes I am not sure what you will think of it. Still worth a sniff in any case, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Dont you have a Harrods? If so you can sample there. Since you didn't enjoy, chergui or tobacco vanille, I'll guess you dont like sweet fragrances?

It seems you don't like sweetish or vanillic stuff, nor very musky things (Kouros), but you like clean, aromatic, or clean-woody perfumes.

You could try Caron Troisieme homme, a fougere (like RG), rather clean. You could also check how you feel with clean frankincense (Jubilation XXV or Timbuktu). For a treat, Portrait of a lady, clean rosy-woody.

cacio

cacio

Carbone de Balmain

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    By your likes I'd suggest Bond no.9 as a house to further explore.
    What he says...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. It is really helpful to get some direction with this.

Aventus
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Banned

Gai Mattiolo Uomo by Gai Mattiolo - Upon application, one is treated to an invigorating wave of hesperidic notes, with their citrus highlights of lemon, bergamot, tangerine and orange. A touch of neroli with its spicy, overripe orangey aspect also presents, while star anise imparts its sweetish, smoky licorice and slightly woody facets. This fascinating melange floats on a cloud of perfumed hedione, with its tinge of citrusy jasmine and woods, and wafts to the awaiting middle. Here, in the pleasing heart, the opening mix is subsumed by a somewhat bracing concoction of lively and woody pepper, menthol-ish clary sage and nutty coriander. A sweet rose presents as well. An oceanic fucus provides an undertone of salty, aquatic plant life. Transitioning to the waiting base, the aquatic brew is encased by creamy and delicately balsamic sandalwood as well as honeyed and slightly smoky guaiacwood. A fresh-linen musk, akin to a fabric softener dryer sheet, showers the woods, and leads to a refreshing drydown. This pleasant, masculine composition is ideal for spring and summer, and has average projection and very good longevity. Given its inexpensive price point, it's a must have.

Azzaro pour Homme. I think if you enjoyed Rive Gauche you'll also enjoy this.

Ralph Lauren - Polo (Classic)
    Ralph Lauren - Polo Modern Reserve
    Ralph Lauren - Polo Crest (If you can find it)

Another vote for Azzaro PH