• We're half back! There's a lot missing, but you can find out more here,

You are now able to log into the forums and post

Time to put on big boy pants and buy a Lutens...which one?

icanzapyou

Banned
Dec 19, 2011
Why am I even starting this thread? Dude I don't even know. I've read through so many damn Lutens threads. But you know the drill, very first Serge, hoping for something different. I'm really up for anything (I'm all for sweetness, I'm fine with feminine, whatever), as long as it provides some contrast to my little collection:

L'homme
La Nuit de l'homme
Armani Code
Allure Edition Blanche
Terre d'Hermes
Light Blue for Men
Dior Homme
Black Aoud
Green Irish Tweed
Rose 31
Comme des Garcon 2 Man

Chergui's the shit apparently, and MKK is supposed to be great, Ambre also gets a lot of love. So I'm really sorry to do this, but I'm hoping to buy one, what's the essential first pick? Thanks!

forfreddie

Aug 10, 2011
Well that's just it, there are so many wonderful Lutens, why jump to the most praised ones when the others are generally better. If you want to play it safe, then yes go for Chergui, after the herbal opening, if you're familiar with the scent of amber, Ambre Sultan is a safe choice also. MKK is a wonderful musk, but don't fall into the hype of pee and poo and all sorts, it's nothing of the kind.

My personal favourites are Tubereuse Criminelle, Miel De Bois amongst others and I've yet to try even half of them.

Fille En Aiguilles is another relatively safe choice.

Theres too many and everyone will list different. Find out what notes you prefer and sample sample sample.

icanzapyou

Banned
Dec 19, 2011
Well that's just it, there are so many wonderful Lutens, why jump to the most praised ones when the others are generally better. If you want to play it safe, then yes go for Chergui, after the herbal opening, if you're familiar with the scent of amber, Ambre Sultan is a safe choice also. MKK is a wonderful musk, but don't fall into the hype of pee and poo and all sorts, it's nothing of the kind.

My personal favourites are Tubereuse Criminelle, Miel De Bois amongst others and I've yet to try even half of them.

Fille En Aiguilles is another relatively safe choice.

Theres too many and everyone will list different. Find out what notes you prefer and sample sample sample.

This is exactly the kind of post I'm looking for man. Of course, recommending Chergui and MKK are really great, but thank you very much in particular for reminding me that hype is just hype. Definitely trying to keep my options open.

Sugandaraja

Basenotes Plus
Aug 28, 2007
I believe your best investment at this point is a sample pack.

Reading descriptions of many, I can say there were many surprises in what I loved, and what I didn't.

hedonist222

Sep 13, 2010
Each Serge Lutens perfume is so differemt from the other. Theyre all good.
Unique, challenging, not straightforward, eclectic and different.

Is it not possible to try some?

I think Ambre Sultan would be the easiest to blind buy. But that's because it is one of the least lutens-esque.

IMG_4065.jpg

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
You're missing florals from you collection. So I'd go for tubereuse criminelle.
(if in Paris, of course, others too - Sarrasins for instance)

cacio

forfreddie

Aug 10, 2011
Tubereuse Criminelle is a great option. But, the first time I sniffed it, it was instant love. I think it would be hard to learn to love it. I may be wrong though.

I really don't rate Chergui at all, yes hype is hype, but it also gets your opinions and expectations higher. I think if I'd sniffed Chergui without reading anything about it, I may have liked it a lot more.

Anyway, without a doubt, get a bunch of samples, you'll really appreciate it.

aventus

Nov 23, 2011
right now i own chergui and love it and have several samples of lutens.i like also a lot ambre sultan and Five O`Clock.
daim blond is also not bad at the opening i dislike it but after it gets nice serge noir also the same but it,s two femenin for me.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Ambre Sultan and Chypre Rouge would be my recommendations, based on previous wardrobe choices

Kagey

Jan 2, 2011
Please sample first. They're expensive! You've read a lot, yes, but you should smell them first.

Tappio

Jun 21, 2011
Any particular reason why you have decided on a SL? If you haven't tried any of them, I would worry you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you decided to buy something for the name on the bottle rather than because the scent itself genuinely and dramatically appealed to you. There are several SL scents I like, but I would really recommend just getting a set of samples and finding an actual scent you like.

If you email SL customer care, they will send you a free set of cards containing wax-based scents, and possibly even a handful of liquid sample sprayers as well. I did this a few months back and my set arrived with a couple weeks. Good luck!

furrypine

Community Manager
Staff member
Basenotes Plus
Mar 4, 2007
Put your nose right into the spices; try Arabie. If you like it, I think you will enjoy many of the classic Lutens.

alfarom

Power Where You Need It
Basenotes Plus
Mar 4, 2011
Personally, the first one I got was MKK. This is probably not the safest option for a blind purchase, but if you like musks you can't go wrong with it. Do you like musks? :)

icanzapyou

Banned
Dec 19, 2011
Any particular reason why you have decided on a SL? If you haven't tried any of them, I would worry you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you decided to buy something for the name on the bottle rather than because the scent itself genuinely and dramatically appealed to you. There are several SL scents I like, but I would really recommend just getting a set of samples and finding an actual scent you like.

If you email SL customer care, they will send you a free set of cards containing wax-based scents, and possibly even a handful of liquid sample sprayers as well. I did this a few months back and my set arrived with a couple weeks. Good luck!

People like you remind me to keep my ego in check (that's a weird compliment but that's how I roll lol). I guess I want a Lutens because of, well, hype. I keep hearing the name and I guess I hate feeling left out haha. I definitely intend to give them a whirl in person and hopefully make two or three trips to Aedes before actually buying one. I figure I'll buy one eventually anyway so I was wondering what people think. And I guess since I haven't smelled them as you say, all I can really go on at the moment is other people's opinions (which I totally acknowledge isn't that smart). Thanks for the tip on getting samples btw.

icanzapyou

Banned
Dec 19, 2011
And plus since I'm still new to fragrances, I'll use my own brain to an extent, but I'll very often just defer to the wise men on this forum. AKA I'd fail the Milgram experiment lol.

heperd

Jun 29, 2011
If you live in NYC go check them out at Barneys. I dont think SAs in NYC are as generous with the samples as they are down here at barneys.
If you want to smell like a big boy get Cuir Mauresque- heavy leather. If you want filthy musk the check out MKK. Tubereuse Criminelle smells like Anbesol toothache cream. There are much better ambers than Ambre Sultan. Gris Clair is awesome burning Ivory soap.........
These change so much from beginning to end that you should wear before buying. Many of them have really bizarre openings that can put you off.
Make sure to try Borneo 1834.

Sep 7, 2011
Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens - Upon application, one is treated to a comforting pipe tobacco accord from the spicy and slightly tarry Balkan tobacco coupled with tonka bean with its vanillic earthiness, and white honey with its mildly sweet facet tinged with urine. A flavorful date and rum raisin currant pervades and enhances the pleasantness of the tobacco. A whisper of sensuous jasmine flitters about. Transitioning to the awaiting middle, a wonderful smokehouse accord and smoked leather envelop the inviting opening. Vanilla infuses the brew with its lightly woody and caramel aspects. And a deliciously seductive, red rose with fruity glimmers and a cabernet-like facet marries delightsome beeswax acquiring its ambery, honeyed and sweet hay character, and makes itself known. This luxurious heart segues to the waiting base. Here, in the rousing base, the syrupy sweetness of styrax commingles with the woody freshness of juniper berries, the peppery mustiness of patchouli as well as the subtly sour and urinal nuances of Peru balsam. An intriguing drydown ensues. This fascinating composition has minimal projection, remaining a skin scent and fostering its use in close quarters; however, its longevity is very good. This captivating, masculine scent is very layered and complex, and should be held in high regard in one's wardrobe.

&

Chene by Serge Lutens - One is initially treated to an enveloping aura of freshly planed lumber, at once astringent, somewhat akin to the sour spitup of a baby, and yet, faintly sweet. A fruity booziness of rum as well as a syrupy immortelle, with its herbaceous, sweet hay aspect, swirl about redolent of an oozed sap. Transitioning to the awaiting middle, a rich, smoky cedar rises to usurp the opening wood, while oakmoss imparts its foresty, green bitterness, which is pleasantly offset by delightsome honey. Splashes of lemony thyme flitter about. Segueing to the enriching base, a robust birch bestows its root beer commingling with wintergreen aroma. Beeswax supplies its cured tobacco and sweet hay aspects. And, tonka bean offers its rich spiciness and smokiness. The intermingling of these scents creates a pleasing drydown. This high-quality composition has average projection and very good longevity. This somewhat rustic fragrance definitely leans to the masculine side.