Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Opinions of Yankee Candle

I love burning them in my home.

What are you opinions on this scent company.
    0% Snobbery - 100% honesty

Default Re: Opinions of Yankee Candle

I absolutely <3 Yankee Candle. My favorites are Midnight Jasmine, Dune Grass, Beach flowers, and Beach walk. They really make the room smell great, they last a long time, and they are worth the price. BTW, Midsummer's Night was obviously inspired by Drakkar Noir. The first time I smelled it I thought it smelled like a man, but I had never smelled Drakkar before that. Now I know why.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I think they are wonderful. I especially like the ones based around different fruits.

I love them also.

Black Cherry, Vanilla Lime, and Midsummer's Night are my three favourites.

The reed diffusers are also very good.

Agreed. Their burning hours are really what do it for me. They seem to last twice as long as most other candles for about $5 or so more. It's definitely worth it, I've found.

Basenotes Plus

Macintosh and Honeydew melon are among my faves. Their long burn time is the best attraction for me
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Very good products, and one of the few home fragrance companies with a leather candle!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

The Yankee Candle Company is the largest U.S. manufacturer of scented candles.[1] The company is located in South Deerfield, Massachusetts.

I haven't yet found a scent that I like. I wish I could--they are so widely available.

Quote Originally Posted by chauchat View Post
    I haven't yet found a scent that I like. I wish I could--they are so widely available.
    Interesting because their scents are so varied and run the entire gamut.

Midsummers Nights is definitely my favorite as well.....

for other good candles try Bath and Body Works Candles they're by Slatkin

The aromatherapy candles are great.

Quote Originally Posted by frostyicy View Post
    Midsummers Nights is definitely my favorite as well.....
    Just smelled this one recently in one of their stores. Wow! Very nice.

I love them also, My fave is Green Grass (smells like freshly mown lawn).

I love the combo of Green Grass, Clean Cotton, and Juicy Watermelon. Reminds me of summertime....

Kendra

www.archwayvariety.com

ENJOY 10% OFF WITH COUPON CODE ENJOY10

I love Yankee Candle, the main store in Deerfield Mass. is so cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Brenster View Post
    I love Yankee Candle, the main store in Deerfield Mass. is so cool!
    Do you get any special deals there as it's the flagship store? Also, are there things that are only available there? Just wondering.

I have one in 'Fresh cut Roses', it smells very strong, sweet and synthetic. I have yet to try any others

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Do you get any special deals there as it's the flagship store? Also, are there things that are only available there? Just wondering.
    I'm not sure, but they have deals on candles all the time. Pretty neat place to check out if you're ever in the area.

Not a huge fan of them. I much prefer the Slatkin candles over at BBW.

They have some crazy new manly scents now. They are in the gift shop where I work, so I got to sniff them in the jars. I don't see them on the website.

First Down is a football themed scent?? It's a fresh leathery scent, with something more.....grass or dirt or something? It was my favorite of the 3.

I can't remember the names of the other 2. One is like a woodshop but I didn't like it. The other is Man Cave or something. Seriously. And it has kind of a generic man's cologne smell with other notes.

A few years ago I didn't mind Yankee Candles but prefer candles from other makers mostly L'Artisan Parfumeur and Diptyque and a few others. However I noticed a change in Yankee Candles a couple of years ago, their wicks changed and this caused a lot of guttering and smoking with their new candles.

I've been burning candles daily for years and now how to treat them properly. I have wick cutters, candle snuffers and other tools to get the best out of my candles without waste or mess. However not matter what I try with today's Yankee Candles they burn down too fast leaving a huge wick and a "tunnel" in the wax.

Sadly I no longer buy from Yankee Candles, I think they cost corners to cut costs and make more money which has had a detrimental effect on the longevity and over all quality of their candles. There new fragrances are also not to my liking either.

Never tried the candles but purchased a few melts some time ago.
    Same difference I guess.
    The scents were overpowering and didn't agree with me at all.
    I don't know if it's the particular fragrances selected but oh no no no ...

I must admit, I was never a big fan of Yankee Candle. Every time I stop by the store, I am hit by a major overload of different fragrances. it actually gives me a headache. I have to hand it to their staff, they must really like their jobs to work there, I don't think I could last very long. although I suppose my nose might get tired of it after a while, I don't know...

I looked again. The other 2 I couldn't remember before:

2X4 (yes, that is the name of it)......powdery woods, not sharp like cedar, not like a hamster cage, more like fuzzy sawdust.

Man Town.....reminds me of Eternity for Men, or like someone wearing Eternity just left the room.

Quote Originally Posted by My_pep_pep View Post
    I looked again. The other 2 I couldn't remember before:

2X4 (yes, that is the name of it)......powdery woods, not sharp like cedar, not like a hamster cage, more like fuzzy sawdust.

Man Town.....reminds me of Eternity for Men, or like someone wearing Eternity just left the room.
    Maybe I'd be better off trying these from the catalog instead of in the store. I love Eternity for men! I'll have to see if I can find Man Town now.

Quote Originally Posted by JanFume View Post
    Maybe I'd be better off trying these from the catalog instead of in the store. I love Eternity for men! I'll have to see if I can find Man Town now.
    I sniffed it again today, this time it reminded me of Hugo. It's been a long time since I've worn Eternity so YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by My_pep_pep View Post
    First Down is a football themed scent?? It's a fresh leathery scent, with something more.....grass or dirt or something? It was my favorite of the 3.
    Now that sounds unique! Got to give that one a smell.

I like the company but think the candles are a little pricey

I find the strength and throw weak.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    20 years ago when I was attending UMASS Amherst, I had a part-time job at a restaurant in South Deerfield. For the week between Christmas and New Year's, everything in the flagship store was 50%. Place was bonkers. I doubt that is still the case, though. Might wanna check for an outlet if there's an outlet mall in your neck of the woods.

I, too, really like Yankees; however, I gotta give the edge to Bath & Body Works 3-wick candles. Great scents, excellent throw, and never any tunneling. (Which brings me to this: If you want an even burn from a Yankee jar, it is imperative that you use a topper. $10 well spent.)
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Overrated but kinda nice, I think I smelled a lilac one I liked.
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

I love citrus & sage (hard to find)& Thunderstorm
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world, the unreasonable man adapts the world to himself, therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." "Shaw"

Quote Originally Posted by 3nines View Post
    I love citrus & sage
    I remember that I think. A very nice one. Loved the combo.

Blog Entries

Sun and Sand, smells like suntan lotion. I light it when I get in the Jacuzzi tub, and it is like being at the beach. As for being pricy, if you join the mailing list, they send you coupons every month or so for Buy one Get one Free or similar deals. I NEVER pay full price.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Strong, sweet, and synthetic is my impression of them as well. I'd like to try one, since they're very inexpensive, and I live in a high-ceiling loft space that my favorite (expensive) candles can't fill. Can anyone suggest one of their more subtle/complex scents to try, or perhaps two or more that mix well?

My gram LOVES Yankee Candle, I get her a couple every year for Christmas. They can usually be found somewhere around half price at Marshalls, TJ Maxx etc. <3

They ARE awesome. I think next time I see them cheaply I need to get some for myself, too.

Today I picked up "Christmas Cookie" and "SparKling Cinnamon" on a promotion in the mall nearby - buy one large and get the second one at 50% off. Smell pretty good.

I like some of their candles and don't like others. I love Spiced Pumpkin (even though it's not exactly sophisticated and maybe a bit loud), Buttercream, Christmas Wreath, Mistletoe (does anyone else get a kind of 'fungal' note there?), Sage & Citrus, Greenhouse, and Balsam Fir (I think it was called that--it was discontinued, I believe). I don't like Wedding Day, a lot of their rose scents, and many of the new ones. Also, their Leather car air freshener is second-to-none in the category.

I loved going into the stores and checking what they had when I was able to. But since I live in Sweden now I don't see Yankee Candle much. I run into some of their new offerings a lot at certain stores, and those are nearly always disappointing. It seems like they're always trying to do a tropical drink fruity thing, a vanilla+musk thing, some other cupcake type scent, and maybe a trendy floral, and a lot of those either don't work or smell like they were conceived in a focus group, designed for wide appeal to a profile of a customer. And they smell like they have a dime-store budget. It's also disappointing to me that they end up discontinuing a lot of the scents I like best, like Balsam Fir, Greenhouse and the various green grass-without-dominant-floralcy things. I also wish they'd try to be a bit more daring with their seasonal scents instead of always doing a variation on apple for autumn and vanilla or pine or cinnamon for Christmas. That said, they have one out this year that smells vanillic and soft musky to me--I think it's called Snow in Love or something? That's quite nice.

As for the candles and tarts, I've pretty much always been pleased with the amount of smell they give off (is this the 'bloom'?) and the burning time. I think I'd like them to update the design of them a bit. The room sprays don't work as well for me. There's usually some kind of off smell there, and maybe it's the propellant, because I've noticed the same thing at Bath and Body Works.

And speaking of BBW, I really like their candles by Henri Bendel. I find those superior to Yankee Candle, but they're rather expensive. At least with YC, you have a HUGE selection and can mix and match and have fun with things. Especially the tarts. Love the tarts!

I like Yankee Candles in general but I much prefer the tarts to the candles, I find they smell stronger and last longer that way.

The only downside is the very limited range we get in the UK compared to what is available in the US, I am so jealous of some of the scents that are available over there!

Very good products! I have a lot of favorites, more probably that I could ever name. My most favorite is "Beach flowers", altough it might sound strange. I am crazy about Vanilla Lime too!

Another good thing about Yankee Candle candles is that they last long enough (probably a lot more than most cheap candles I used to buy on the internet).

Another thing I love about Yankee Candle is that they offer Christmas coupons. I found out a couple of hours ago here http://www.printablecouponsdownload....table-coupons/ that they offer 50% off for Festive Fragrances and they have a $20 off $40 coupon too (don't know if they stack or not). Do you use coupons for Yankee Candle?

This morning I gave their Pure Radiance range a serious sniff, in a rather chic store in Milan. I didn't like most of them, I found them too sweet and synthetic, but ended up buying- for a ridiculously high price, compared to sales in the US I've seen on their website!- Yuletide, for a present. Not bad at all, spicy and warm. I love their way of covering every season, holiday, situation and mood, anyway.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

I feel that they're overpriced for what they are. Their scents aren't particularly interesting to me, very simple and overpowering. Many of them smell very similar. I also find that they don't have very good throw, sometimes I can barely smell them at all! I used to love them but then I started trying other brands. I'll still occasionally buy one if it's on sale, though.

I count 94 fragrances offered in the main collection alone. Any fragrance house that has 94+ offerings at any one time is pushing "whatever sells" and lacks a point of view.

The best fragrance houses, be it interior fragrances or perfume, have a point of view, an idea they are looking to express. They generally take care with execution because if the whole brand hinges on an idea, on an execution, then the brand and the idea is lost the minute the execution wavers or the offerings become too diffuse.

If one is looking for something special, distinct, or memorable, Yankee candle is probably not the place to start, even at their very reasonable price point. I'd probably hit up some of the low priced specialty lines at Target, which tend to be less crassly gourmand and have better visual execution, before I'd buy Yankee Candle.

But if you are just looking to quickly scent your home with something akin to a candle version of Glade air freshener, then YC will certainly do the trick.

I find them cheap and synthetic. The fantasy fragrances, the awful foodie fragrances(my pet hate by the way). They smoke like hell, no matter what they say about keeping the wicks short. They burn unevenly. They use cheap wax. I get dragged into their store by a friend and have to sniff and say, "Oh nice!", when I really think, I'd rather stick my nose in dog's bum!

Give me SpaceNK's own brand, Diptyque or L'Occitane any day.
    DONNA

I much prefer the wax tarts to the candles, I find smoking and uneven burning an issue with the candles but there is never such an issue with the tarts, I also find them much stronger scented too, they have a really good fragrance throw, much better than the candles, I find.

They're ok but so many smell average and either too fruity or too synthetic like others here mentioned. There are three that I like, and burn. One is Christmas Wreath as it does have a nice pine tree smell. Vanilla Oak which smells almost like a perfume - a warm not too sweet vanilla and cinnamon, at least to my nose, and of course oak (but I've never sniffed an oak tree or furniture so I wouldn't be able to compare how realistic the scent is.). Pineapple Gardenia is really nice, which I burn during the summer, as the pineapple smells real and there is a nice floral note, don't know how to describe currently, but it doesn't smell like any gardenia fragrance I've ever smelled before. Not too fruity that you'd want to gag. Look for coupons. Around the end of November or early December they sometimes do a "buy two get two free" deal.

We don't get coupons in the UK, or two of the fragrances you mention above. We only get a very basic range here, I have to get my MIL to post me the US fragrances over!

Afforable and wonderful scents and easy to find.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Honestly? Sorry to say I get a headache from them. I very seldom complain about anything scented, but those candles give me a sick headache. Same with craft store aisles where they sell the materials to make scented candles: like a knife to the brain through the nose.

Well...that's just me (sorry). I do wear some really stinky, old fashioned perfumes, though!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 21st January 2013 at 12:33 AM.

There's no way I could take a perfume recommendation from anyone who like Yankee Candle.

Quote Originally Posted by patternlanguage View Post
    There's no way I could take a perfume recommendation from anyone who like Yankee Candle.
    Rude!

I think that when taken as a mass, like when walking into a shop that stocks a whole range of candles, then of course the smell is going to assault the olfactory system in a way that is as subtle as a brick to the side of the head.

That's not to say that the aroma of a single Sage and Citrus candle in a room can't be a pleasant experience.

I currently have a small Sandalwood candle in my living room and it's just enough to be a gentle background aroma. I also like Water Garden, Midnight Walk and Lemon Lavender. Not too keen on the cloyingly sweet fruit and food ones, but that's just my opinion and I'm sure that most of them would be preferable to many other household smells or the smell of many air fresheners.

I use to like them. Not so much any more. Midsummer's night doesn't smell as good when you burn it compared to when it is unlit. Anyone else think so?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Just wanted to pop in and say that if you have not, sniff out Vanilla Cloud. It smells even better when it is burning, and is different from other vanilla candles. It's less of a realistic (or synth) vanilla and more of an airy take on vanilla. Love it.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

IMO they are overpriced. Also theyBurn dirty and put off quite a bit of soot (spelling?).

I agree that they can be a bit pricey but they have a good holiday selection currently at my local HomeGoods, TJ Maxx and Marshalls. The bigger jars (22 oz) are around $12.99 which is quite a bit less expensive than I have seen them elsewhere. I picked up Santa's Pipe and am burning it now. I really enjoy its light, sweet tobacco scent. Perfect for our unseasonably cold weather today.

I always stop and sniff when I see them at Ross or Marshalls. I've liked several and brought a few home but after lighting them they either give me a headache or just don't smell as good as they did unlit.

Quote Originally Posted by gmm150 View Post
    IMO they are overpriced. Also theyBurn dirty and put off quite a bit of soot (spelling?).
    Completely agree. One of the worst soot offenders on the candle market!

I don't buy any Yankee wax products anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    I agree that they can be a bit pricey but they have a good holiday selection currently at my local HomeGoods, TJ Maxx and Marshalls. The bigger jars (22 oz) are around $12.99 which is quite a bit less expensive than I have seen them elsewhere. I picked up Santa's Pipe and am burning it now. I really enjoy its light, sweet tobacco scent. Perfect for our unseasonably cold weather today.
    Although, I may be tempted buy that scent. I love a sweet tobacco scent, both in home and personal fragrance. So comforting!

Looking forward to seeing what will be put out this holiday season. (646)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Not a fan

Their current buy two get two free promotion on all large jar candles is pretty good. I stocked up for Christmas gifts and kept a few for myself. I`m enjoying "Merry Marshmallow" right now. Also purchased a few summer beach scents for myself.