Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: My first time wearing Bleu de Chanel.....and it was a bit of a surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyegaard View Post
    Subjectivity I can respect, irrational hate of something because it's likeable is, well, annoying at best.

"I don't like the smell of this" is okay.
    "I don't own Bleu beause it's popularity means I don't feel unique when wearing it" is okay.

"I hate Bleu because everyone else loves it" is not okay.

See what I mean?
    What exactly do you find not okay in not wanting to smell like everybody else expects you to smell? I think people are entitled to their own individuality. You may think that going with the flow is the right thing to do. But others might disagree. And we all have a right to position ourselves with regards to what's socially acceptable. But I digress.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Default Re: My first time wearing Bleu de Chanel.....and it was a bit of a surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    What exactly do you find not okay in not wanting to smell like everybody else expects you to smell? I think people are entitled to their own individuality. You may think that going with the flow is the right thing to do. But others might disagree. And we all have a right to position ourselves with regards to what's socially acceptable. But I digress.
    Please read what I wrote again, we basically said just the same thing.

It doesn't make it a bad fragerance though, that is sort of the whole point of my argument.

Please read what I wrote again, we basically said just the same thing.

It doesn't make it a bad fragerance though, that is sort of the whole point of my argument.
    Please don't take this as trying to start a discussion, but I do somehow understand people instantly abhorring a popular fragrance. When it is all over town, for example. And for what you're saying to be true to reality, everybody else should really love Bleu, which I don't think is the case. Even more, if it WERE the case, it'd be great that someone disagreed.
    Hilsen!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

It is a bad fragrance, though.

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    Please don't take this as trying to start a discussion, but I do somehow understand people instantly abhorring a popular fragrance. When it is all over town, for example. And for what you're saying to be true to reality, everybody else should really love Bleu, which I don't think is the case. Even more, if it WERE the case, it'd be great that someone disagreed.
    Hilsen!
    Hola!

No, I totally get that aspect of it - it's okay for people to don't want to use or own a fragerance that is overly popular.

I'm just tired of people proclaiming a popular fragerance is "horrible and utter shit" only on the basis of it being popular.. it makes no sense to me ;-).

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    That's your opinion and that's okay. To me, it smells good.

Sur la Plage

I'm just tired of people proclaiming a popular fragerance is "horrible and utter shit" only on the basis of it being popular.. it makes no sense to me ;-).
    So where has someone said that?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Not really, I think we've all smelled worse imo.

I guess Bleu pays the price for the daring of Antaeus and Egoiste maybe?

Just wondering...

It's a shitty fragrance because Chanel can and has done way better almost every single time they've created a fragrance. It's a shitty fragrance because those better fragrances are available at the same price point or slightly higher. Most importantly, it's a shitty fragrance because it is uninspired, predictable, and smells like every other masculine that's come out since 2008, including Zirh Ikon, which is buy one get one for 9.99 at perfumania. I had no idea this garbage was popular; I've only seen people look uninterested at the counter and then walk over and buy 1 Million.

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    Not really, I think we've all smelled worse imo.
    Not from Chanel.

It's a shitty fragrance because Chanel can and has done way better almost every single time they've created a fragrance. It's a shitty fragrance because those better fragrances are available at the same price point or slightly higher. Most importantly, it's a shitty fragrance because it is uninspired, predictable, and smells like every other masculine that's come out since 2008, including Zirh Ikon, which is buy one get one for 9.99 at perfumania. I had no idea this garbage was popular; I've only seen people look uninterested at the counter and then walk over and buy 1 Million.
    True I agree with you there, Antaeus and Egoiste are ball parks apart from Bleu at the same price point. I think there trying to reach out to the younger crowd. Just like Gucci with guilty!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Exactly. I hate Blue de Chanel for the same reason I hate many Amouage scents.....it just stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    I think there trying to reach out to the younger crowd. Just like Gucci with guilty!
    Right! And I'd say countries or markets that are fond of this kind of "easy" non offensive frag.

Quote Originally Posted by LucasKane View Post
    Exactly. I hate Blue de Chanel for the same reason I hate many Amouage scents.....it just stinks.
    wow now thats harsh, Amouage have some very nice scents

It doesn't smell anything like every masculine that's been produced since 2008.

Have you ever worn it for a day?

I wonder, because other than the fact that it's a fresh fragrance it's very different than pretty much any other popular scent out there. And even if it does bare some resemblance to some fragrances, it does it better than 99% of them.

It's one thing to base your opinion on experience but I doubt that's what you're doing. You probably smelled it on a test strip or sprayed it on the back of your hand.

And as far as "uninspired"....what does that even mean? You sound so cliched, and ironically, very uninspired with that comment. Do you know the "inspirational" stories behind all of Chanel's "superior" fragrances? Are they inspiring tales of adventure and ingenuity? And what's Bleu's story? Have you researched it and found it uninspiring? Give me a break.

And how predictable was it?

You must have been shocked when you learned Chanel was planning the release of a BLUE fragrance (god forbid).

Doesn't seem to predictable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Maybe I'm misinterpreting the general vibe and what people are saying.

I sort of feel the answers between your post and this post tells the story, but again... i might be reading it wrong.

People not liking the smell of the frag is absolutely okay, we cannot all like the same stuff.

It is Chanel's attempt to garner in some extra cash, they hyped it and thats why its a top seller right now, when Chanel released it people went nuts thinking this was going to be some next level shit, it is what most Chanel fragrances are, generic, quality and safe. I'm not going to be purchasing a bottle of this in the near or later future.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    It is Chanel's attempt to garner in some extra cash, they hyped it and thats why its a top seller right now, when Chanel released it people went nuts thinking this was going to be some next level shit, it is what most Chanel fragrances are, generic, quality and safe. I'm not going to be purchasing a bottle of this in the near or later future.
    Honestly, I'm still confused.

It's quality and safe (and generic; ironically what I absolutely don't get from this fragerance, but my nose is my nose and your nose is your nose) yet the whole post reeks of dislike.

Is it from the generic vibe you're picking up ?

English is not my first language, I'm pretty fluent in it, but this is not written to provoke; I'm honestly trying to understand this.

I've tested Bleu twice and found it boring and generic

But, everyone keeps saying how it draws compliments from the chicas

As a compliment sloot, I find myself in a dilemma here......

imo its a safe scent, its not boring or to loud. It's the run of the mill stuff you get these days. Nothing to impressive, especially at its price tag.

Honestly, I'm still confused.

It's quality and safe (and generic; ironically what I absolutely don't get from this fragerance, but my nose is my nose and your nose is your nose) yet the whole post reeks of dislike.

Is it from the generic vibe you're picking up ?

English is not my first language, I'm pretty fluent in it, but this is not written to provoke; I'm honestly trying to understand this.
    personally I'm not a huge fan of Chanel, the only scent I think is full bottle worthy from what I've tried is Edition Blanche (havent tried Egoiste so cant say) I find most of there scents in a way the same, which is boring meaning it doesnt challenge my nose and I don't get excited smelling this scent or when wearing it. I was expecting it to be like that when it was about to be released and am not surpried about it, they did however add quality ingredients like they usually do. With the scents being released in the last few years I didnt think Chanel was going to make a fragrance in that category but to mine and others shame, they did.

Bleu smells very nice, and is the one of the best "department store" scents available. My wife likes it and I have received compliments on it. If you walk me in Macy's and tell me my signature scent has to come from there alone, I'd probably be torn between Bleu or YSL L'Homme. My Macy's does not carry Terre d'Hermes or Dior Homme.

I tend to say that here in Brasil the Woman (Iīm picking up the crowd 18-35) are not found of daring fragrances for men. I tend to be more complimented with safe fragrances like Bleu than daring ones Black Orchid or Fleur du Male. It doesnīt prove nothing and clearly this maybe not the nationwide scenario, but at the Brasilian Forum I discuss to this idea is very well accepted. Iīm not saying that getting compliments is the reason one wears this or that, but I gotta say that when I go out with a fragrance I do like it a lot! So when I want to enjoy some fragrance for myself or I simply donīt care otherīs reactions I use something else. But I enjoy having Bleu on my wardrobe just for that moments I just want to smell nice and safe. But I donīt feel generic in anyway using it. 1 Million and 212 are generic here. Chanel frags are expensive and hard to find. And besides, we got the "Chanel Effect" here. The brand is worshiped by woman who think Coco was Maria Madalena herself and when you say youīre using a Chanel you definetely smells good lol! Superficial, I know. But hey: sometimes you donīt want to get married: you want to get laid! So superficiality is ok for one night stand.

If you say here youīre wearing a Creed or an Amouage or Xerjoff people will roll eyes: no one never heard of them!

Chanel, Carolina Herrera, Dolce & Gabbana or anything that sounds french get more attention. It sucks butīs that the ugly truth.

Edit: forgive my english. I speak portuguese as native language.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    It doesn't smell anything like every masculine that's been produced since 2008.

Have you ever worn it for a day?

I wonder, because other than the fact that it's a fresh fragrance it's very different than pretty much any other popular scent out there. And even if it does bare some resemblance to some fragrances, it does it better than 99% of them.

It's one thing to base your opinion on experience but I doubt that's what you're doing. You probably smelled it on a test strip or sprayed it on the back of your hand.

And as far as "uninspired"....what does that even mean? You sound so cliched, and ironically, very uninspired with that comment. Do you know the "inspirational" stories behind all of Chanel's "superior" fragrances? Are they inspiring tales of adventure and ingenuity? And what's Bleu's story? Have you researched it and found it uninspiring? Give me a break.

And how predictable was it?

You must have been shocked when you learned Chanel was planning the release of a BLUE fragrance (god forbid).

Doesn't seem to predictable to me.
    Every other masculine produced since 2008. The other half were sweet abominations. Some of them were even good! And yes, it does. And yes, I did; the SA at my local Macy's gave me two carded spray samples of Bleu de Chanel and one of Chanel No5 Eau Premiere. I sprayed it on a piece of paper previously and disliked it, but I still tried it on myself. It was still boring; another "fresh and spicy woody fragrance" with that awful metallic hiss of the very cheapest kind of synthetic sport fragrance. I gave both of them to my brother who likes Allure and he didn't like it, either.

This is where you start to sound kind of crazy. Perfumery is an art, despite what you may believe. Creating something truly new and unique requires some sort of inspiration and creative freedom. Jacques Polge is responsible for some of the most gorgeous and stunningly unique fragrances that make you say "wow" the very first time you smell them. "Wow," you think, "this guy is a genius!" He created Sycamore, Coromandel, 31 Rue Cambon, and Antaeus. Egoiste, which he created, was derivative of Chanel's older Bois de Iles, but still amazing. To say that Bleu de Chanel was created with the same level of inspiration is kooky at the very least! It smells like it was created by a marketing department, not a perfumer.

My favorite fragrance ever is a "blue" fragrance! L'Heure Bleue.

I can't wait till you Bleu Bashers smell Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme

My favorite fragrance ever is a "blue" fragrance! L'Heure Bleue.

Touche, lovingthealien, touche.

I like your style of rebuttal!

I dislike Bleu and see nothing wrong with that. People always seem to jump on the de-facto response of "you don't like it because it is popular" or "groundbreaking". No, I just don't like it. Price also counts. And for the price, that is bad value to me. I like the smell of Lanvin Arpege pour Homme much better and it is 1/3 the price ( but gets tedious at times to wear).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Aramis New West, Alain Delon Iquitos, Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Oxford & Cambridge, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I`m not impressed. I`m a big Chanel fan, but Bleu is not challenging enough to grab my interest. IMO it`s very boring. Why this, when they already have Allure Homme which is a much better fragrance?

I like it too, and I'm another person who gets compliments when I wear it, but I think it has one of the most boring drydowns ever. The top and middle are interesting enough and then...*bleh* I have to reapply just to keep it somewhat interesting.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

I think it's one of Chanel's worst ever, even considering the abysmal Allure flankers for women.
    I have to agree.....This does not do well on my skin!!!
    Gary