Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default 28 La Pausa by Chanel

For some strange reason, there isn't a thread devoted to 28 La Pausa by Chanel in the Male Fragrance Discussion board. What's up with that?

I had a sample of this one and I went through it very quickly, mostly because I absolutely loved it and also because I really had to douse myself in the fragrance to get it to last.

This iris prominent scent is woody, yet it has an incredible light freshness to it that calls to mind the minimalist works on Jean Claude Ellena or Giacobetti.

As a fan of many Chanel scents, the iris note used is also recognizable is many other Chanels (No. 19, obviously), but 28 La Pausa is not green, and it's not aldehydic like so many other Chanels.

I'm thinking about getting a decant of this, for Spring.

Fans? Haters? Comments?

Last edited by mikeperez23; 1st March 2012 at 05:56 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: 28 La Pausa by Chanel

I like it very much. The iris is certainly prominent. I personally prefer it on my wife.

for swap/sale:

I tried it and found it to be very faint. I prefer No 19 by far.

Mike, I've been talking about 28 La Pausa with Knit At Knite a few weeks ago and we both agreed that this is one of the MOST overlooked iris-centered compositions. Personally, I find it irresistible. It could be the incredible binomial iris/creamy woods or, maybe, just the right proportion bewteen luxury and austerity/sobriety but, as a matter of fact, it stays at the top of my favorite compositions in the same vein. As many Chanels, it shows a "serious" character which strikes me as sort of velvety-cold-elegance (if this make any sense)...

Count me in as a fan!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I agree with alfarom, in that this hits the perfect mark between woody iris and austere iris, but with Chanel's not too creamy iris note to just soften it up a tad. At first sampling, I almost found it too sharp, but after going through my small decant, I think it is turning into one of my favorites.

So much so that I bought the 200ml in January - all set for spring on this great iris.

Basenotes Institution

I think if I had to compare it at all to any other iris scent, it would be Iris Pallida by L'Artisan Parfumeur, which is slightly powdery, whereas the Chanel is not powdery at all - pretty rare for a non-powdery iris scent. Would anyone else agree?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

...I was not impressed by it; rated it ***...!

An incredibly flattering presentation of iris from a company that is not only famed for its use of the note, but is passionate enough to have started their own iris plantation outside Grasse.
    28 La Pausa reposes on the skin as a sheer veil. A study in understated elegance which for me however, is almost too understated. I find myself searching in vain for some kind of olfactory 'hook', something definite to couple my nose to. It is as if it were a victim of its own lightness of being.

Another fan here- I have the 75ml. What I like is exactly that it is natural, fresh, pleasant at all times. As such, perfect for hot summers, but still elegant enough. For more green-ness, I go for the le labo (also in cream form), and for the over the top effect, ISM.

cacio

Have a large bottle of this in my collection and like it a lot.

Basenotes Institution

I think this is one of those scents that would be perfect for layering with a body product (shower gel, lotion, body cream) or would most definitely smell 'stronger' in an EdP or parfum/extrait.

It is an EdT no?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    It is an EdT no?
    Yep, at least the mini I have.

Basenotes Institution

There was a ton of rumours that Chanel was going to release extraits for some of the Exclusifs, but nothing has been officially mentioned about this.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I hope they do release them as EdP. I love this one, it is on my list.
    Evenstar

Basenotes Plus

I had a sample of this one and I went through it very quickly, mostly because I absolutely loved it and also because I really had to douse myself in the fragrance to get it to last.
    I'm definitely a fan but I do wish this beauty is more leggy.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Another fan here- I have the 75ml. What I like is exactly that it is natural, fresh, pleasant at all times. As such, perfect for hot summers, but still elegant enough. For more green-ness, I go for the le labo (also in cream form), and for the over the top effect, ISM.

cacio
    You have your irii(irises?) nicely covered.

If you like La Pausa, I urge you to try Citta di Kyoto.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    ...If you like La Pausa, I urge you to try Citta di Kyoto.
    That's Parfumerie Generale? It's not sweeter than the Chanel?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Santa Maria Novella, but unfortunately I've never been able to peroperly appreciate it...it always seemed a bit nondescrpt and understated. I may need to revisit it...

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    An incredibly flattering presentation of iris from a company that is not only famed for its use of the note, but is passionate enough to have started their own iris plantation outside Grasse.
    28 La Pausa reposes on the skin as a sheer veil. A study in understated elegance which for me however, is almost too understated. I find myself searching in vain for some kind of olfactory 'hook', something definite to couple my nose to. It is as if it were a victim of its own lightness of being.
    Exactly the same for me. I smell it and love it, then for some reason forget all about it. Without bold other notes it may not have enough to define itself?

If I have this right these iris scents all smell somewhat alike but are different by just a bit:

La Pausa 28 - is the iris that gets forgotten by "its own lightness of being"
    LeLabo Iris 39 - similar to LP 28 but drier, woodier.
    L' Homme de Coeur - pron. "home decor" -very green, cold iris.
    VC&A Bois d' Iris - is the intense vanilla iris
    Dior Homme - lipstick iris
    Hiris - carrots with iris
    Irisss - more carrots with drier iris
    Dzongka - iris and leather

which is the perfect one? . . . La Pausa might be it.

Hi Mike.

No its the Santa Maria Novella one as mentioned by alfarom.

Earlier when i smelled it. I got iris + a thousand other flowers.

Earlier I could not isolate th prominent flowers. I knew it was iris + X + apparently japanese lotus.

Later I learned what hyacinth smelled like. I'd detected it along with iris in Bas de soie but wasnt certain about it till I got a samplem of Metal (thanks Cacio) which confirmed my knowledge of hyacinth.

Smelling Citta di Kyoto today (for you) I was instantly able to recognize the hyacinth. CdK is iris, hyacinth and a droplet of something alien which I am assuming is the Japanese Lotus.

Which is why i say it reminds me of La Pausa. An iron iris in a velvet glove of other florals.

Highly recommended to the gent who loves his florals unrestrained. I , sadly, am not that gent (yet?).

for swap/sale:

I have to retest citta' di kyoto too, then. I smelled it and wasn't blown away, as alfarom. The incensy-smoky part was gone too fast. Conveniently, a SMN store just opened here in DC. Which reminds me that I recently smelled another iris combo from an Italian apothecary style outfit, 450 by Farmacia Santissima Annunziata. The top is a really good iris-dry leather. Unfortunately this phase is gone too fast - after that it becomes a woody in the style of Gaiac 10, say, which I'm not too fond of.

Btw, somebody should confirm the plural of iris. I suppose in English one would do irises. If my etimology is not wrong, the Greek and Latin word iris would do irides (with the d, 3rd declination).

cacio

Buzzlepuff - I'm glad I'm not alone here.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Btw, somebody should confirm the plural of iris. I suppose in English one would do irises. If my etimology is not wrong, the Greek and Latin word iris would do irides (with the d, 3rd declination)...
    Way off-topic, but yes: The Latin plural form would be irides, the word coming from Greek ἶρις 'a bright circle' (gen. ἴριδος), from whence English iridescent etc. Cool observation, Cacio!

Basenotes Institution

When I wore 28 La Pausa, I felt enveloped mostly in just the smell or iris - not really other florals. Oh, I'm sure that it actually has other florals in it, but the fragrance IMO is very iris prominent. Like Iris Silver Mist (which I also love). Iris fragrances that throw a lot of other stuff in the mix (like Dior Homme) are not my favorite. Well, except for No. 19.

-- Eckhart Tolle

To be honest I also get vetiver. Iris and woody vetiver in the base.

I totally love 28 LP and enjoy Citta di Kyoto as well. CdK seems to have a very slight leather edge which I find attractive.