Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Why I don't wear Aventus

The first time I smelled a sample of this, it certainly caught my attention. it smells really good. I bought a small decant of it and have worn it a few times. Then I stopped.

I've been trying to articulate exactly why I've lost interest in it. The last time I wore it, I do remember feeling a little...I don't know...cheap? It isn't cheap juice for sure. But it's kind of a cheap thrill. It smells good but that's all it does. No tension, no contrast, no intrigue. Just a Big Good Smell. I enjoyed it once but wearing it over and over is liking watching an action movie over and over; once you know the plot, there's not much else to sustain your interest in repeated viewings.

The projection/sillage aspect almost made me self-conscious. Not only was it a cheap thrill but I wanted to share it with everyone within a 15 foot radius. It was like I was broadcasting a message to the world, a very loud and piercing message, that said, "Hey, look at me! I'm not very sophisticated and my tastes are pretty simple. BUT LOOK AT ME!"

I still enjoy the smell of it in small doses. I think if someone passed me on the street wearing it, I'd be happy to get a whiff of it. But I don't know how people can live in that synth-cloud deathgrip for 8+ hours. It's rather fatiguing.

Default Re: Why I don't wear Aventus

I wear it once a week or so, and enjoy smelling it all day. I couldnt wear it daily though.

That's all well and good but you didn't mention anything about panties dropping. They MUST have. This is CREED AVENTUS we're talking about, and it's the balls. Get your story straight next time when you're talkin' about CREED. C'mon!

Also you never wrote "CREED" multiple times all in caps anywhere in your story, so we all know what you're talking about. You're being very vague.

Oh, and also... CREED.

CREED.

Edit: and dude which batch were you wearing? Jeez, get your $h*t together next time!
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Wow, that's EXACTLY how I feel about it... and about Creed fragrances in general actually...

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    That's all well and good but you didn't mention anything about panties dropping. They MUST have. This is CREED AVENTUS we're talking about, and it's the balls. Get your story straight next time when you're talkin' about CREED. C'mon!

Also you never wrote "CREED" multiple times all in caps anywhere in your story, so we all know what you're talking about. You're being very vague.

Oh, and also... CREED.

CREED.

Edit: and dude which batch were you wearing? Jeez, get your $h*t together next time!
    I just didn't put 2 and 2 together. Finally that explains why the sidewalks of New York were littered with panties that day. OMG.

Quote Originally Posted by Daze View Post
    Wow, that's EXACTLY how I feel about it... and about Creed fragrances in general actually...
    I'm not particularly anti-Creed. I think that nice ambergris base is pretty good, but I wish they would build some more interesting compositions on top of it. Still searching for one that I might really love.

Ouch Brian that hurts lol :P

But tbh, I do agree with you on some points, I love this in the summer a lot. I've only wore it once so far in the winter. I do agree it's one of those that says " hey look at me I'm wearing Aventus" and everyone within a 5 meter radius can smell it. It's like a screaming kid looking for attention, or a douch in a corvette reving the engine at a red light, trying to impress a girl in a car next to him because he lacks something in the pants (no offense to those with vettes). As for the scent to me it's great, I like it. I wouldn't wear it all the time, but it is one of those that I enjoy wearing going to the beach
    Last edited by Oupavoc; 2nd March 2012 at 04:46 PM.

The first time it was sprayed on me at Neiman's I walked out somewhat euphoric. Loved it and couldn't say just why. I've tried it several times since, though, and each time after it made me literally nauseous. I can't deal with it. And it smells cheap in the sense that it hits exactly that cloying, "fresh," easy tone that, for me at least, spells "douchebag." It doesn't help that it comes with Creed's pretentious, bloated marketing: how could a fragrance supposedly inspired by Napoleon (such a role model) and whose name means "success" not be aimed squarely at over-monied but thoroughly bland and boorish MBA-weilding former frat boys?

Okay, well, I could have stopped at "nauseous."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    I'm not particularly anti-Creed.
    As far as my understanding goes mass market fragrances are panel tested for likeability. This might not be true for so called 'niche' offerings. They simply don't give the juice away to naive testers in order to estimate the wearability on the long run. I argue such testing is a critical cost factor in developing scents. One 'niche' firm or the other won't be able or willing to invest the time and money.

I won't accuse Creed for such practices. It could to the contrary be that the first description of the 'Aventus'-feel is completely valid. It is a bit loud and tremendously well camouflages any aloofness. It's wearer is a handsome guy no women has to fear. And, not at least, he obviously wears perfume - obviously!
    No More Buying - Leaving - Left

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    As for the scent to me it's great, I like it. I wouldn't wear it all the time, but it is one of those that I enjoy wearing going to the beach
    Do the fish drop their panties when you go for a swim?

........I don't know how people can live in that synth-cloud deathgrip for 8+ hours. It's rather fatiguing.
    You described it well.

Aventus smells good but it's also like sitting in a room full of slow drying fresh paint.

I own it and love it,

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    The first time it was sprayed on me at Neiman's I walked out somewhat euphoric. Loved it and couldn't say just why. I've tried it several times since, though, and each time after it made me literally nauseous. I can't deal with it. And it smells cheap in the sense that it hits exactly that cloying, "fresh," easy tone that, for me at least, spells "douchebag." It doesn't help that it comes with Creed's pretentious, bloated marketing: how could a fragrance supposedly inspired by Napoleon (such a role model) and whose name means "success" not be aimed squarely at over-monied but thoroughly bland and boorish MBA-weilding former frat boys?

Okay, well, I could have stopped at "nauseous."
    Wow that last part was harsh lol. But I completely agree. I'm in college and it's so difficult to distinguish myself from all of the bros. That being said, I like Aventus really want to get my hands on it.

And to think I wear 10 sprays of the stuff.

Do the fish drop their panties when you go for a swim?
    I think it's more like drop dead and start floating lol

Quote Originally Posted by PradaG View Post
    And to think I wear 10 sprays of the stuff.
    Oh that's you I smell all the way here lol but seriously no need more then 4-5 of this stuff

Oh, and also... CREED.

CREED.

my bow to you, sir.
    Currently wearing: Elements Aqua by Hugo Boss

Massiveattack1987

I even don´t know if Napoleon really used Creed cologne...

I, for one, like it a lot. Don't use it everyday, but then again, I almost never do that with any fragrance.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Banned

It smells good but that's all it does. No tension, no contrast, no intrigue. Just a Big Good Smell.
    i noted this too when it first came out. it definitely isn't something that you would sit and smell your wrist and marvel at the changes in top-mid-base notes.

it is a fragrance purposely designed to SMELL GOOD. which, to many people, is the point of wearing fragrance in the first place.

lest we forgot this little detail?

But I don't know how people can live in that synth-cloud deathgrip for 8+ hours. It's rather fatiguing.
    interesting... most other people complain that they can't even detect the fragrance an hour or two after applying. and yet to you, it's suffocating for 8 hours?!?

if i wanted a synth-cloud deathgrip, i'd wear Bond, Amouage, or most designer frags. one of the reasons I enjoy CREEDs is because of the very fact that it changes over time and dissipates to basenotes rather quickly. Aventus included.

but hey, to each their own.

Aventus is a good scent that I will probably own one day. My experience was that is has good longevity as well. My only question is why it's priced higher than most other Creeds? Is it just because it's newer? Is there a history of the new Creed scents starting higher and eventually going down in price?
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress / Venetian Bergamot / Amber Absolute HERE Selling Bruckner Aoud 1 with box & Armani Myrrhe Imperiale HERE

I don't have a great nose but I'd like to think that I know what smells good, which Aventus certainly does. However, it's eerily reminiscent of the old spice deodorant I used to wear in high school. I could be off-base, but that's what it reminds me of.

Quote Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
    it is a fragrance purposely designed to SMELL GOOD. which, to many people, is the point of wearing fragrance in the first place.
    The correct use of CAPs ... would You mind if I had a further consideration:

which sort of 'SMELL GOOD'?!

I would agree if not the fragrance itself is expected to 'SMELL GOOD', but the fragrance + wearer combination.
    Last edited by WildThingy; 2nd March 2012 at 06:04 PM.
    No More Buying - Leaving - Left

lest we forgot this little detail?
    I think you're getting a little defensive. Where did I say that I don't want a fragrance to smell good? I want it to smell good AND be interesting. I don't think it's too much to ask.

But then, I'd also rather watch a Terrence Malick film than a Jerry Bruckheimer. Both are entertaining but the one with nuance and subtlety is the one I want to watch again and again.

interesting... most other people complain that they can't even detect the fragrance an hour or two after applying. and yet to you, it's suffocating for 8 hours?!?

if i wanted a synth-cloud deathgrip, i'd wear Bond, Amouage, or most designer frags. one of the reasons I enjoy CREEDs is
    because of the very fact that it changes over time and dissipates to basenotes rather quickly.
    "Suffocating" is your word, not mine; but, yes, I can smell Aventus intensely for the entire day. I agree that most Amouages are also a deathgrip, but I don't find them at all synthetic. Most of them are over-the-top perfumey to me, but I give them credit for smelling of natural ingredients. Even their oud smells natural, and that's really saying something. Of their line, however, Jubilation XXV and Epic Man are the only two that I care for. I don't know much about Bond because I only own one, and I am not remotely interested in the rest of their line.

Again, though, it seems like you might be taking this as an indictment of Creed. I was only talking about Aventus specifically. I have no hatred for the brand in general.

Banned

Again, though, it seems like you might be taking this as an indictment of Creed. I was only talking about Aventus specifically. I have no hatred for the brand in general.
    none taken, and i largely agree with you. just arguing a broader criticism of the fragrance, not necessarily made by you.

BTW - silly question, but have tried simply applying less? I find it hard to believe one spray to the chest would result in the 8-hour death-grip or whatever you called it.

I love it when earnestness is indistinguishable from parody.

Oh, and also... CREED.

CREED.

And then:

please give me evidence of the CREED company marketing this to "over-monied but thoroughly bland and boorish MBA-wielding frat boys".

did they put out an advertisement that I'm not aware of?

do they set up kiosks on the lawns of fraternity houses across America?

Napolean projects an image of success and confidence. Aventus is a cologne that also gives men confidence (read the plethora of reviews attesting to this).

i hate to tell you, but using cologne IN GENERAL has the image of being the hobby of "over-monied but thoroughly bland and boorish MBA-wielding frat boys". don't blame CREED for simply creating a successful and popular cologne.
    You love to put words in other people's mouths I'm not blaming Creed for creating a successful and popular "cologne". I'm blaming them for creating a boring one.

I'm guessing that you also fell tor the line that terrorists hate people for their freedom.

I must be living on a different planet than some of You here at Basenotes.....All I have to say is "This stuff rocks." Just ask my Wife.....Aventus smells Great.....Lasting power is Great.....Brings compliments.....I don't understand all of the negative remarks.....I lived long enough to know one thing about fragrance.....I'll spray what I like.....period!!!
    Gary

I think Aventus might be one of my favorite fragrances actually. OP, have you tried some of the more recent 2011 batches? To my nose they amplified the pineapple and the longevity is really great. (I hope I didn't just incite a lot number battle/debate)

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    I own it and love it,
    Me too, but let's not get in the way of a good old-fashioned bashing. Next up, my Quorum thread, etc, ad nauseam
    What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
    Currently wearing: Albi by Laura Tonatto

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    I own it and love it,
    Same here.

Banned

You love to put words in other people's mouths

I'm guessing that you also fell tor the line that terrorists hate people for their freedom.
    certainly didn't mean to put words in your mouth, my man. just chewin the fat...

and i most certainly do not believe that terrorists hate us for our freedom. they hate us because we wear blue jeans, duh. in any case, i resent you putting beliefs in my head. how dare you...