Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why I don't wear Aventus

Oh sweet... another Aventus thread!

Did another thread really have to be created for expressing one's distaste of the fragrance? I mean, there's already a thread dedicated to bashing Aventus... Or, a thread dedicated to Aventus...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    But I don't know how people can live in that synth-cloud deathgrip for 8+ hours.
    The most ridiculously false statement from your rant on Aventus.

"Synth cloud deathgrip..." LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virtue&Sin View Post
    shh ... my husband is here, I have the samples (Creed is generous)!

:P
    Good luck, let us know how it goes lol :P

Post Thanks / Like

I have a special talent for driving any thread into a ditch.
    True, though in this case you had some help

Btw, I enjoy Aventus, although I don't seem to get the crazy compliments everyone else does. It's a good enough frag, yet it doesn't captivate my interest.

After many different batch samples, and many wearings, I have decided this: I just don't want to smell like smoky pineapple.
    I just don't.
    Current Top Ten:

1. Creed Millesime Imperial
    2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Creed Virgin Island Water
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    6. Thierry Mugler Pure Havane
    7. Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    8. Bulgari Blu
    9. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    10. YSL Kouros

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit166 View Post
    I didn't really find it to be a rant. And I don't think I'm the first person to find it either synthetic-smelling or long-lasting. I even said that I enjoy it in passing on others. So don't let me stop you from buying it.

I actually want to find a Creed fragrance that I enjoy a lot. I wish for every crowdpleaser they formulated, they would also try for something really daring and boundary-pushing. There are obviously some talented noses working over there.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

hahahaha

The OP has a point, no question about it, but that's true for most frags. After a while, they all get boring (if you wear them every day), at least for me.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh sweet... another Aventus thread!

Did another thread really have to be created for expressing one's distaste of the fragrance? I mean, there's already a thread dedicated to bashing Aventus... Or, a thread dedicated to Aventus...

"Synth cloud deathgrip..." LOL
    Also, I'm not very interested in contributing to a thread called "Creed Aventus--A Waste of Money". I was hoping to have a more nuanced discussion about something that I actually spent money on and then realized wasn't quite what I had hoped for.

I think the more interesting question is why people, both fanbois and haters of Aventus, have little interest in having a nuanced discussion. If you don't hate it, you're apparently mindless. If you don't love it, you're apparently a fraud. Where on Earth does that come from?

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't really find it to be a rant. And I don't think I'm the first person to find it either synthetic-smelling or long-lasting. I even said that I enjoy it in passing on others. So don't let me stop you from buying it.

I actually want to find a Creed fragrance that I enjoy a lot. I wish for every crowdpleaser they formulated, they would also try for something really daring and boundary-pushing. There are obviously some talented noses working over there.
    It's all opinion, but I don't see how Aventus smells synthetic. For every Aventus-hater you find who says that it's synthetic just to bash Aventus, I can find you 20 others who love it that finds it very natural-smelling.

"Daring and boundary-pushing" usually equates to "unwearable and repulsive." There are hundreds of "daring and boundary-pushing" fragrances out there. There is only 1 Aventus (well, 2 since 2010 batches vary from 2011 lol).

Post Thanks / Like

Hey no need for insults!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    WTF is happening?!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

@arlecchino ... I'm afraid Brian Chambers wouldn't know a panty dropper even if it landed on his head ... it's not his frame of reference ...
    Keepin' it classy.

Post Thanks / Like

... :P
    Last edited by Oupavoc; 2nd March 2012 at 11:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I'm not very interested in contributing to a thread called "Creed Aventus--A Waste of Money". I was hoping to have a more nuanced discussion about something that I actually spent money on and then realized wasn't quite what I had hoped for.

I think the more interesting question is why people, both fanbois and haters of Aventus, have little interest in having a nuanced discussion. If you don't hate it, you're apparently mindless. If you don't love it, you're apparently a fraud. Where on Earth does that come from?
    Backpeddling much? There are dozens of threads on this forum dedicated to talking about Aventus and many times more, talking about Creeds in general. There was no need to start yet another thread when you could have easily posted your opinion in ANY of them. Instead, you decided to post a brand new thread to shine the spotlight on your (negative) opinion of Aventus. It's just a bit ironic and hypocritical after this statement of yours:

It was like I was broadcasting a message to the world, a very loud and piercing message, that said, "Hey, look at me! I'm not very sophisticated and my tastes are pretty simple. BUT LOOK AT ME!"

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    Hey no need for insults!!!
    Insults ??? So thin-skinned ?

Merely stating that, perhaps, one of the finer points of the appeal of Aventus was completely missed. Should I have framed it as such, if so, I just did.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not particularly anti-Creed. I think that nice ambergris base is pretty good, but I wish they would build some more interesting compositions on top of it. Still searching for one that I might really love.
    I humbly submit the only Creed I ever really liked: Baie de Genievre

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    After trying out Joop! Nightflight and Lapidus pour Homme, I just can't deal with pineapple in a fragrance. I am scarred for life When I sampled Aventus, I shuddered.....
    Awww, even Bogart Witness?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Backpeddling much? There are dozens of threads on this forum dedicated to talking about Aventus and many times more, talking about Creeds in general. There was no need to start yet another thread when you could have easily posted your opinion in ANY of them. Instead, you decided to post a brand new thread to shine the spotlight on your (negative) opinion of Aventus. It's just a bit ironic and hypocritical after this statement of yours:
    I don't think you'd be taking that quote so personally if I hadn't struck a nerve.

I'm not back=peddling in the slightest. The projection made me uncomfortable. If something is more of a simple pleasure, I think it should be a skin scent. Why would I want to announce it to the world? And the volume at which it announces itself is in fact attention-getting.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Merely stating that, perhaps, one of the finer points of the appeal of Aventus was completely missed. Should I have framed it as such, if so, I just did.
    Do you think that men don't respond to fragrance? You are right in the unrelated sense that I'm not very concerned about whether people like what I'm wearing. But I don't think that has anything to do with my sexual orientation.

I'm not back=peddling in the slightest.
    Why don't You talk up? Aventus is kitsch.

I too don't think it has to do with sexual orientation.
    No More Buying - Leaving - Left

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't there was a lot of Aventus fanboys here?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you'd be taking that quote so personally if I hadn't struck a nerve.

I'm not back=peddling in the slightest. The projection made me uncomfortable. If something is more of a simple pleasure, I think it should be a skin scent. Why would I want to announce it to the world? And the volume at which it announces itself is in fact attention-getting.
    What are you even talking about? Struck what nerve? Why would I take your rant personally if it doesn't effect me in any way? Not like I'm Olivier / Erwin Creed or a Creed salesperson.

My comment obviously went over your head. You can't seem comprehend that you creating a brand new thread dedicated to ranting about Aventus, when there are dozens of threads already out there talking about (and criticizing) Aventus... is simply attention-whoring. Something you're supposedly against.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to go start an incendiary thread on Labdanum 18.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to go start an incendiary thread on Labdanum 18.
    Why?

Off topic, Brian your pm box is full :P

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

What are you even talking about? Struck what nerve? Why would I take your rant personally if it doesn't effect me in any way? Not like I'm Olivier / Erwin Creed or a Creed salesperson.

My comment obviously went over your head. You can't seem comprehend that you creating a brand new thread dedicated to ranting about Aventus, when there are dozens of threads already out there talking about (and criticizing) Aventus... is simply attention-whoring. Something you're supposedly against.
    I understand your point here. It was 50% laziness to find a civilized Aventus thread (that's hard) and 50% my general annoyance at people who start a conversation by replying to a 12-page thread. Because then I have to read 12 pages to get caught up.

If this were a Wiki and we were trying to create a nicely indexed database of fragrance facts, I think it would be correct to find the thread and then respond. When I'm looking for something factual, I do take the time to search and try to answer my question. When opining generally, however, I usually do what I prefer others to do: just say what's on your mind. That may not be correct, but that's how I've used these forums.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Plus, how else am I going to get to 500 posts without an Aventus thread?

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is just... really all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Why don't You talk up? Aventus is kitsch.

I too don't think it has to do with sexual orientation.
    Was anyone else confused by this.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    This thread is just... really all over the place.

Was anyone else confused by this.
    I got the second sentence but not the first. I've learned that I can always count on WildThingy for a first-rate non sequitur.

I liked Aventus when I tried it. However, I find the Zara ones that are similar to be good enough (so I sold off my Aventus decant). None of them come across as "synthetic" to me but that is really a personal interpretation. I like these frags when I'm not going to be paying that much attention to the frag I'm wearing, and then it doesn't get boring if I wear it once every month or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    I wear it once a week or so, and enjoy smelling it all day. I couldnt wear it daily though.
    Daily wear of any frag would ruin the joy of wearing it very very fast, no matter the frag

We're BaseNoters - currently I can wear a new frag each day for 155 days before I will have to start using the first frag from day 1 again
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

It's all opinion, but I don't see how Aventus smells synthetic. For every Aventus-hater you find who says that it's synthetic just to bash Aventus, I can find you 20 others who love it that finds it very natural-smelling.
    There is a metallic note that smells unnatural to me. That is not in itself a criticism. I actually don't care if a fragrance is made from synthetics as long as it doesn't give the impression of being overly synthetic. In Aventus, it's dialed up a little too loud.

I can also smell the additives in water that are supposed to be undetectable to most people. Maybe I'm hyper sensitive.

"Daring and boundary-pushing" usually equates to "unwearable and repulsive." There are hundreds of "daring and boundary-pushing" fragrances out there. There is only 1 Aventus (well, 2 since 2010 batches vary from 2011 lol).
    You got me there. With the exceptions of Aventus and MI, I have stocked my wardrobe with the unwearable and the repulsive. I was hoping no one would catch on. But the Truth of Aventus reveals all in the end, doesn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

I work at one of the biggest banks in the world, and I deal with stocks traders and IT guys everyday, and I've come across some of them who wear Aventus. For me, it smells obnoxious and projects like an attention-whore; it's like they're some kind of walking giant air fresheners.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    I work at one of the biggest banks in the world, and I deal with stocks traders and IT guys everyday, and I've come across some of them who wear Aventus. For me, it smells obnoxious and projects like an attention-whore; it's like they're some kind of walking giant air fresheners.
    lmao

You are way over-thinking it. Just spray some on and enjoy. No big deal. It's pretty good stuff, not worth nearly the whining and gnashing of teeth we see on BN. It's just a nice, well-blended, compliment-getting fragrance. If anyone has some stupid, deep problem with that - GET. OVER. IT.

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy this scent quite a bit. Although I will say I can also smell something a little "synthetic" in the opening, but it doesn't really bother me.

Post Thanks / Like

From the way I see most threads go on this forum, people seem to want sillage and projection in most, if not all, of their fragrances. So I doubt Aventus is any exception to this desire. So, you could equally level the charge of attention-grabbing at many, many other scents that have great sillage/projection.

Also, linearity and evolution are one facet of fragrances that is highly dependent on personal taste. Some person like more linear scents, others don't. Also, linearity seems to be a house style thing. Diptyque scents, for example, are said to be mostly linear. I guess Creed's style is like that too.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually there is a tension and evolution in Aventus. The dark smokey base contrasted with the fresh/fruity top and somewhat floral heart. Some people think it's fecal, one person posted a review describing it as a $hit in the rose bush. It's that tension that makes some people... especially women... have such a strong positive reaction to it.

I do agree it is too strong, I'm going to try diluting mine to 50% of it's original concentration with everclear.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Aventus strikes me as being boredom incarnate in scent. Nicely done, but still incredibly dull. Smelling like newsprint with a heady "men's cologne" vibe backing it . . . yeah, that's worth $285 a bottle.

I don't hate Aventus. I just don't think it's worth the accolades. I'm going to field test it a bit to see what others' reactions to it may be. But even then, if people love it, I just don't think I could ever go full bottle on this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    After trying out Joop! Nightflight and Lapidus pour Homme, I just can't deal with pineapple in a fragrance. I am scarred for life When I sampled Aventus, I shuddered.....
    Ha. After trying Lapidus I also get worried when I hear a frag has a pineapple note.
    Tom Ford Splits Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love it, but honestly, I have some of the same reservations as Brian. I find it:

• hard to wear to work, because it attracts too much attention
    • more enjoyable than interesting
    • not cloying, but "cloyingly good", if that makes any sense
    • a bit inappropriate on an older fleece-jacket woodchuck who works in IT

My wife loves it. I love it, but more in theory than in practice. I find myself wearing it in a limited number of situations. Glad I own it, but I think I understand those who don't.

Post Thanks / Like

THE CREED AVENTUS CONTROVERSY: A Pictorial Essay
    by me

"Creed Aventus... not interesting at all."
    "I totally agree. Nothing challenging or sophisticated about it."

Aventus: "Whatever."

(The twist ending: the suit is overpriced!)

fin.
    Last edited by vbs; 3rd March 2012 at 03:28 AM.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vbs View Post
    by me

Ha!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's good, but it's not on my "must own" list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

LOL!

Nice suit! And I have just the fragrance to go with it!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I agree with your assessment Brian. I can understand the love for Aventus and its pineapple note but it just doesn't excite me.

I like it but for whatever reason Aventus probably has some of the worse longevity a projection on my skin from just about any scent I have tried. I have tried 10 batch and 11 batch so I very much doubt its a batch issue, and its not my nose getting use to it.

Post Thanks / Like

fin.
    Habit Rouge ??
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not a fan of this one. I was hopeful, but it fell flat. I get a strong association to fragrances from the 90s. I still don't know exactly what it is, but that wasn't the main deal breaker. For me, the smokey aspect of it was a no go. That aspect of the fragrance was rather bitter to my nose.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Post Thanks / Like

looks like the honeymoon is over......
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    For me, it smells obnoxious and projects like an attention-whore; it's like they're some kind of walking giant air fresheners.
    So says the guy who loves and named himself after New Haarlem. Not good with Irony?

Post Thanks / Like

"Hey, look at me! I'm not very sophisticated and my tastes are pretty simple. BUT LOOK AT ME!"
    That's exactly the way I feel about it.

Basenotes community; you almost made me hate Creed's fragrances because the ones you all love are awful! I wish everyone flipped out about Chevrefeuille and Royal English Leather on here and I tried those before Himalaya and Silver Mountain Water. Hell, even their feminine fruity florals are top-notch compared to those.

Post Thanks / Like

....AND I just finished reading through this thread now.

Seems there are several people who feel really stupid for buying into this garbage and are desperately trying to justify those 4 ounces of radioactive Ungaro III through trash talkin' Brian Chambers who is definitely the best thing to happen to this board since I joined (The release of Aventus being the worst, by contrast).

There are so many ridiculous comments in this thread!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I don't find Aventus to be a simple, tension-free scent at all. That smokey birch drydown is quite dark and mysterious.

Last week, I visited my parents and one of my brothers was sitting there so I let him sniff it-- he sprayed some on his arm and hated it right away saying smelled "industrial", whatever that means. Then two minutes later, he was smitten with it. He couldn't believe how much he loved it.

I have to say that the longevity and sillage are very, very good with the caveat that I cannot smell it on myself after half an hour or so. The other night at work, one of my coworkers from another department came into my workspace to ask me if I knew of a good place for him to buy a certain cologne that he wanted to purchase (haha, I gave him a bunch of samples once, and he always comes to me with fragrance advice). I asked him if I could smell my cologne (because I couldn't) and he said it was quite strong- and he liked it too. I got a little self-conscious because it was the end of the night and I hoped I wasn't gassing people out with it. I've asked other coworkers, and some said they could smell my Aventus the entire shift whenever I walked by. I'm still trying to strike the right balance in application of this one.

It's weird, sometimes I spray it on my neck and think it's gone an hour later. Just a few minutes ago I dabbed a little on my wrist and got in the elevator-- and I could feel it filling up the elevator within seconds.

The thing I like about Aventus is how much it changes and how different it smells from one wearing to the next. I think a lot of Creeds are like that and I think that's part of what frustrates people. My Millesime Imperial is the same way-- temperamental as hell. I can see why people wouldn't find Aventus to be their style, but I really find it to be a complex, attractive scent that works for me.

The price, however, is ridiculous-- I only bought it to commemorate a personal achievement that I was working toward. It does irk me that Creed are getting carried away with their prices: When Virgin Island Water came out, I went to Neiman Marcus and spent a whopping $208 before tax for a 4oz bottle (the price tag is still on the bottom of the box). The price tag on Aventus was $285 before tax (pushing it to about $310 after tax). I don't mind spending $150-$200 on a fragrance I really like, but getting around the $300 is pushing it a little. I'm just glad I got a big bottle that will last me a long time.

Another small thing that bugs me-- The paper label that wraps around the bottle. On the Creed website it says "The Aventus bottle is sleek black leather around a CREED bottle in the classic CREED "flask" design." No, it ISN'T leather. It's not even some kind of leatherette, like the Habit Rouge EDP bottles had. It's false advertising, to say that it's "sleek black leather". It still looks nice with the paper label, but when I took it from the box the first time, I noticed that the area on the back of the bottle where the label wraps around, it's doesn't completely adhere to the bottle-- and sometimes when I pick up the bottle, the rasp of the label catches my skin. It's kind of an unnecessary corner that they cut. For $300, they could have used something nicer in which to wrap the bottle.

I like the fragrance very much. I just think they should watch their prices a little or else put some of that money into the quality of their packaging.
    He knows what he's talking about ^ I agree with him a lot. It's cool if you don't like Aventus, we won't hate you for it(OP). It's weird, some people that don't like it always try to get justification from fellow basenoters that it's "OK" to not like it(because so many people love it.) I love this fragrance. My very favorite in my collection. I choose it EVERYTIME I go out. I not only wear it for the massive amounts of compliments I get, but I also wear it because I love it on myself. I love whenever people rip on CREED because the house truly is amazing. They know what they're doing. I wear difference fragrances and always go back to Creed. Like IndieGuy said, Creed is temperamental. It truly goes with your body chemistry. I pretty much can't wear other fragrances unless they're creed. I enjoy the natural ingredients in them. I am a "green" type of guy so I go with Creed and Aventus is my favvvooorrriittte.

Post Thanks / Like

lol, wow this thread...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimandT View Post
    He knows what he's talking about ^ I agree with him a lot. It's cool if you don't like Aventus, we won't hate you for it(OP). It's weird, some people that don't like it always try to get justification from fellow basenoters that it's "OK" to not like it(because so many people love it.) I love this fragrance. My very favorite in my collection. I choose it EVERYTIME I go out. I not only wear it for the massive amounts of compliments I get, but I also wear it because I love it on myself. I love whenever people rip on CREED because the house truly is amazing. They know what they're doing. I wear difference fragrances and always go back to Creed. Like IndieGuy said, Creed is temperamental. It truly goes with your body chemistry. I pretty much can't wear other fragrances unless they're creed. I enjoy the natural ingredients in them. I am a "green" type of guy so I go with Creed and Aventus is my favvvooorrriittte.
    Creed may have quality natural ingredients in them, but do not think they are more "natural" than many others, they do use plenty of synthetics too. However, I agree Creed has a more natural feel than most designer frags... but don't confuse that with being all-natural, they are not.

And the tension in Aventus is something that can easily be overlooked, most people notice it as a "fresh" feeling frag and don't pick up on the underlying dark, smoky and almost fecal aspect... which is what makes it such a great frag.

Post Thanks / Like

hahahahahahaha love it

Post Thanks / Like

lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newhaarlem View Post
    i work at one of the biggest banks in the world, and i deal with stocks traders and it guys everyday, and i've come across some of them who wear aventus. For me, it smells obnoxious and projects like an attention-whore; it's like they're some kind of walking giant air fresheners.
    a damn good air freshener!

Post Thanks / Like

lol, wow this thread...
    lol
    Thanks for your insight!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

by me

fin.

OMG...I'm on the floor....Hilarious !!!!!