Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Re: Why buy niche?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolinist View Post
    designer = lots of options
    niche = lots of options

designer + niche = lots and lots of options

I think this is the best answer.

Anything other than Avon Wild Country is Mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Wait, are there two Mr G's now??
    LOL! I though the same thing. The other (Guerlain) Mr. G has a period (fullstop) puncuation mark at the end of Mr.
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!

Im starting to buy niche brands to experience new and exciting fragrances

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    LOL! I though the same thing. The other (Guerlain) Mr. G has a period (fullstop) puncuation mark at the end of Mr.
    Thanks knit, well spotted! l was a little confused there for a moment.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Buy whatever you like. Its "category" shouldn't determine preference. As stated above, there are nice offerings from either side. Good luck.
    Currently wearing: Tam Dao by Diptyque

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    Buy whatever you like. Its "category" shouldn't determine preference. As stated above, there are nice offerings from either side. Good luck.
    What he said!

Questions to ask yourself
    1. Does it smell good on me
    2. Does it smell good on me
    3. Does it smell good on me

You get my drift?
    It doesn't matter how it's categorized, if it smells good on you, you like it, your significant other likes it (tho in my case he has to put up n shut up) buy it.

Many lower cost fragrances smell great. Many high cost don't.

Niche is a descriptor regarding availability and how many or few 'doors' it is sold behind.

If you want to be truly Eco-friendly for example go vintage, but the adage is the same. Does it smell good

Instead of differentiating between niche and designer , it would be good to differentiate them as good and bad perfumes. As a matter of fact there are many designer perfumes that are much better than niche.

Cheers!!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
    Hi everyone

When I started thinking about buying a niche frag I did so because I thought they were made from better ingredients which would mean that they would last longer and smell better. I also thought they were perfumes and not the weaker EDT or cologne. Now that I've spend some time trawling the forums it would seem that people don't really differentiate between EDTs and the niche stuff. There also doesn't appear to be a correlation between the prince and longevity.

This all leads me to ask: why buy niche?

Cheers
    Niche doesn't necessarily mean longer projection or an overall better scent. It just means that the scent is exclusive and tailored to more particular tastes.

I like that niche scents are often very unique. I enjoy smelling something that I didn't know existed until that moment. That isn't to say that designer scents can't be unique, but there's really nothing like cracking a bottle of something exquisite that's completely unlike anything else you've ever experienced.

Don't buy niche. It's foolish.
    Don't buy designer. That's foolish too.

Unless you're a collector, buy a scent because you smelled it, wore it, and enjoyed it enough to pay whatever the price happens to be, at which point it doesn't matter if it's niche or designer. I've smelled $20 scents that weren't even worth that much and I've smelled $300 scents that I thought were worth much more.

Ignore the labels.
    Ignore the hype.
    Just smell and decide.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Some niche fragrances are nice and some aren't. It just depends on what one likes.
    yes!!!!
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

To me, buying niche is just like buying designer. You either like it, or you don't, therefore you either buy it, or you don't. My suggestion? Ask yourself, "Would I buy it if it weren't considered "niche?"" Make your decision based off your answer, not some title.

Niche is a big world, and one cannot really speak about it in categorical terms just as one cannot talk about designer fragrances in categorical terms. In fact I would tend to argue that niche perfume as a whole is less safe to generalise about even though individual niche houses may well be more safe to generalise about, and perhaps that is the essence of their allure: some have a very distinct style, some gravitate toward particular notes which feature in many compositions, some follow a particular tradition of scent-making, some trade exclusively in hand-made fragrances composed of the most natural, or best ingrediants available, some revel in the use of synthetics, some have a distinctly old world sensibility while some are decidedly avant garde.

As far as longevity is concerned the 'focus' of some niche brands can mean their fragrances generally have excellent longevity. Sometimes it can mean the opposite. Montale's fragrances for example often have incredible longevity, but in part this can depend on the composition. On the flipside Annick Goutal's perfumes tend to be rather fleeting, but exceptions do exist.

I like the "weird" and different scents you can find in the Niche houses that you'd NEVER find at the normal department store where 90% of people buy their fragrances. Also, its quite fun to say some of the names of the Niche houses when someone asks what kind of cologne you are wearing! (ie Molecule 01, Blood Concept, Fat Electrician or secretions magnefique by Etat Libre d'orange, Tar or dry clean or garage by CommeDesGarcons)