Code of Conduct
    Austin, Texas. Rabat, Morocco. Athens, Greece. Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Blog Entries

Default What's your process or selecting a new perfume/cologne?

I'm not much of a snob...marketing will do a good job of getting me into a shop to check out a scent. After that...

1. I must spray on myself. If it is awful, I skip it. If it is interesting...I spray a couple more and walk out of the store letting it sit on me a day. If I find myself longing for it by the end of the day or the next day...we have a love match.

- I won't use paper and won't spray it on the salesgirl. I don't see the point...neither of those mediums will reflect how it works on my body. Though I have picked men's scents that way.

you?

Default Re: What's your process or selecting a new perfume/cologne?

For me the process is research and sampling though every so often I will make a blind buy if I'm taken with a fragrance which has my favorite notes.

i usually read about frags here, then sample em via store, or perfumed court samples if its niche. I need 2 full wearings before I pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    For me the process is research and sampling though every so often I will make a blind buy if I'm taken with a fragrance which has my favorite notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    i usually read about frags here, then sample em via store, or perfumed court samples if its niche. I need 2 full wearings before I pull the trigger.
    Agreed, my process is very similar

If it compliments my collection, I buy it.

I research, sample, ask for suggestions, and sniff, but right now I'm going based on houses. That way, I learn a little bit about their aesthetic and their approach to perfumery. It works really well for me because I'm pretty new to this.

I blind buy a lot...I like the excitement, but I usually know just about what I'm getting with all the reading I do about it. For more expensive niche I test it first. Some I know I'll just love and don't really need to try, like SDV. Or if I can get a great deal I'll probably just buy it...I'm pretty impulsive.

I read about frags here and just blind buy them on eBay/sales forum. Rarely I go in to a Sephora to test stuff out but it would just be one spritz to the wrist then I walk out.

I'll test it at the boutique. Pretty much everything from designer to niche is available in Dubai. If i like it I'll buy it.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    If it compliments my collection, I buy it.
    Your collection is colossal. Anything has the potential to compliment it lol.

for swap/sale:

If I like what I tested and further testings make an equally good impression, I usually decide to buy it

Banned

Quite similar to your methodology, I try a fragrance on my skin. If my interest is piqued sufficiently, I will see how the scent develops beyond the enticing opening, and whether a commitment is warranted.

I almost always wear something four or five times before deciding to buy a bottle of it. (That means that I typically order samples of them.) One thing I've learned about myself is that I tend to overestimate how much I enjoy a fragrance on the first few wearings; if I used positive first impressions as my criterion, I'd have a lot more bottles and a lot less money! If I still find something very compelling after four or five wears, and if the price of the full bottle is not outrageous, I'll buy it.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Pretty much the same process everyone has here without blind buying.

I do spray on paper first if I don't like the smell on paper then I will not spray on my skin. If I like on paper I spray on my skin...I usually go a few hours with it on my skin if I like it I buy.

If I get some recommendation from you guys on a fragrance I can't find in my area I will buy decants from perfumedcourts, luckyscent, somewhere like that.

Just ordered a sample of Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris last night...can't wait to try. If I like I will be ordering a bottle.

I have a pretty modest collection so far. With the ones I have gotten, I have researched the notes in a particular frag to see if it has ones that I like and is devoid of ones that I do not. I have then bought decants of it.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I'll test it at the boutique. Pretty much everything from designer to niche is available in Dubai. If i like it I'll buy it.
    You are one lucky person

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    You are one lucky person
    Perfumistas living within driving distance from luckyscent are even luckier and those in Roma .

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

What is this Luckyscent place?

Skin test is mandatory for me.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by RiveGaucheInstead View Post
    What is this Luckyscent place?
    I think the brick and mortar is named Scent Bar - in California.

for swap/sale:

After sampling it for a day I usually let my wife smell it just to be sure she isn't repulsed by it. We usually agree so I am good so far.

I do too many blind-buys, based on reviews and hype. Too lazy to go to store and test it out, or too lazy to order sample and wait 2 weeks. I end up selling or swapping if I don't like something - advantage of buying hyped-up fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post
    I almost always wear something four or five times before deciding to buy a bottle of it. (That means that I typically order samples of them.) One thing I've learned about myself is that I tend to overestimate how much I enjoy a fragrance on the first few wearings; if I used positive first impressions as my criterion, I'd have a lot more bottles and a lot less money! If I still find something very compelling after four or five wears, and if the price of the full bottle is not outrageous, I'll buy it.
    I agree, I've often liked something after a wearing or two, only to find that - no, I don't like it enough to even think of bothering with it again, or in a couple of cases, absolutely can't stand the smell, I like to do four or five wearings. I will say that I need to love a fragrance, not just like it, to purchase it. And if I do love it and can't afford a full bottle, I'll buy the largest decant that I can afford.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by mikesc View Post
    After sampling it for a day I usually let my wife smell it just to be sure she isn't repulsed by it. We usually agree so I am good so far.
    +1. thats how i usually get a new frag. try it on my skin and ask my girlfriend or girl-friends for their opinion. Usually those I dont really enjoy she wouldnt like them too so its quite safe. Only one I might have problem with would be L'Artisan Havana Vanille. She insisted its too edible hahaha.
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

I also try to spray a fragrance multiple times before purchasing. My tastes have changed so quickly, that I have a hard time simply buying based on my wardrobe, so I test repeatedly. I have found that some fragrances that I wasn't crazy about initially end up being some of my favourites!

Lately I've haven't been using a process, blind buy based one the notes :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    Lately I've haven't been using a process, blind buy based one the notes :P
    that actually sounds ridiculously fun!

Quote Originally Posted by RiveGaucheInstead View Post
    that actually sounds ridiculously fun!
    This is how I MOSTLY buy. Sometimes people will recommend a fragrance for me but they are almost always similar to what I already have. I tend to buy the same fragrance (based on notes) over and over again. Different designer, different names, similar notes.

I've worked mostly in art museums and tend to use an art museum approach: buy some houses in depth, carefully considering their reputation with the critics, look for classics and future classics, get some contemporary stuff that is a bit shocking, fall in love with a few, add representatives of certain eras and attitudes, seek a balance of historical well-roundedness and personal taste. Not everything has to be sampled first in this system.