Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Spice Bomb! Spice Bomb! You're my Spice Bomb! and Baby You Can Turn Me On! A Review of SpiceBomb

So I received three sample bottles of SpiceBomb by Victor and Rolf last week. After a week of it, let me just say, the 80's are back, and they're back with a vengeance. This is a powerhouse patchouli and spice blended fragrance with a citrus note lingering. Victor and Rolf are having a Kajagoogoo moment here and this has more than a passing resemblance to Michel Almarac's 1989 classic Joop! Homme. Great longevity on this; 8+ hours easily. It's also quite pleasant to smell as well. Am I blown away? No, this is, as I said, a nostalgic creation, and I have some issues with versatility and imagining where this would be appropriate to wear. I found myself nervous wearing to to work because of the projection.

An Olivier Polge fragrance wouldn't be complete without the obligatory pepper note, and it's here too. Basically Pepper, Patchoulli and Citrus is what you're getting here. It's a bomb alright, but I'd be cautious on application, this can get cloying, go easy on the trigger

7/10 = respectable

Default Re: Spice Bomb! Spice Bomb! You're my Spice Bomb! and Baby You Can Turn Me On! A Review of SpiceBom

IMO I think it's one of the best recent releases.

Default Re: Spice Bomb! Spice Bomb! You're my Spice Bomb! and Baby You Can Turn Me On! A Review of SpiceBom

Liking it quite a bit.

One of the best fragrances I've come across. Picked up a 100ml last week!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    IMO I think it's one of the best recent releases.
    I have to agree, loving mine. Cant have enough of this concoction

Banned

This creation is a star no doubt, but I wonder how it's gonna hold out in the summer months? My guess is it can get to be a little much after a very short while. Enjoying it in the cold of UT while I still can!

Actually I bought this with the specific intent of using it as my spring/summer mainstay. I'm so used to wearing dark and heavy ambers that this one feels light to me so I guess it's all relative.

It's great, isn't it? Join the club:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/288...Rolf-SPICEBOMB
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I love it!

So, out of the two, which would you say is better, Joop! or SpiceBomb?

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Definitely Spicebomb for me.

I am a BIG Fan myself.....Spice Bomb is Fantastic!!! I'm in the club!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Spicebomb for the smell b/c it starts off candy sweet and drys down nicely.
    Joop! for the indefinite longevity and beastly projection.
    Spicebomb for the bottle!
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Basenotes Institution

Primrose very kindly sent me 2 spray samples of Spicebomb. OMG - it really is 'Da Bomb!" This is seriously good stuff. Sweet, woody , addictive to sniff ! It also smells very familiar- like I have smelt this recently or it's in my scent memory from some time back .
    I would wear this ( this time ...Husband got sprayed 4 times with a sample before going out )
    It's sexy ,alluring, does have good sillage and longevity .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

MMm, sounds good..the sweet factor is kind of making me take a step back though. I'll try to test this soon though.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Sampled some when I went out the other day and received a test vial... Wasn't really a fan, but will try it again in the winter
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Why So Serious?

Having been a fan of Antidote, I had high expectations with Spicebomb. And I was very impressed with this release. I don't find it too sweet like others have stated, maybe the fruitiness of it gives it off as being sweet, but there isn't even much fruits for me. I get a blast of spice right away. It reminds me a lot of stuff such as TV (maybe the cinnamon vibe), Royal Oud (spicy vibe) and a bit of T42 on its final stages.

Bottle is a beauty, projection is average and longevity is above average.

4.5/5
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Basenotes Institution

Kalli and HackerX - it's not so so sweet to me but there is enough to bring out the woods nicely, IMHO.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I'm glad you said 80s because I get that feeling too; not in any specific note, but the overall enveloping feel. It's almost like the feeling I remember getting from Opium or Poison back in the day-- like I was Batman being overcome by Poison Ivy's hypnotic pollen. Overwhelmed on all sides; but with Spicebomb, I don't get the headache-inducing sweetness (nor the strong blast of bergamot everyone else does), and I find myself willingly giving in to the hype. Damn you, V&R!

Yes indeed, a good one that might get a real head of steam. Fantastic marketing program to go with it. Fun to watch it all come together.

I absolutely love it, the only let down on me personally is the longevity. On my skin I get 5 hours.

This one doesn't seem to be as popular as I thought it would be. Longevity is also an issue with me. I get maybe 6 hours and in the last few hours it's very close to the skin.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I hear so many good things about this scent yet haven't had a chance to try.

queen of the universe

What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

It's fantastic.

I've sampled it and really enjoy it, but I questioned it's longevity.

Might be one I need to throw in my briefcase and top up early afternoon. Many of my more recent purchases have been niche rather than designer, and unfortunately few designer fragrances compete in the longevity stakes.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler-durden View Post
    I've sampled it and really enjoy it, but I questioned it's longevity.

Might be one I need to throw in my briefcase and top up early afternoon. Many of my more recent purchases have been niche rather than designer, and unfortunately few designer fragrances compete in the longevity stakes.
    Longevity is average, I can get through the day without re-application. Very pleasant scent, reminds me of a softer, more casual Tobacco Vanille.

I tried this yesterday.

It instantly reminded me of Caravelle Epicee the first 2 hours then reminded me of Back to Black sans the honey note.

Very nice release From Victor & Rolf.

for swap/sale:

In various places around the interwebs, I keep seeing scorn heaped on the highly designed marketing, bottle design, the poetic language used by V&R to describe the scent, etc. As though V&R are the first to ever do any of that? Nobody else ever had an expensive ad campaign with models? I don't want to sound like a cheerleader for them, I'm just asking why the pile-on?

It's as though no other house has ever said something like 'it is the scent of ebony starless night, the cloudless summer sky, of chances taken and possibilities to come, a memory of a dream of a song about a bittersweet farewell first kiss in the rain on a bridge in Paris in a wintry wood in the middle of a Moroccan desert and the violets you tucked into your still warm linen shirt that I was wearing when you came home from the orris harvest with a small leather box filled with those cardamom madeleines we always got at that little place (no, not that one, the other one with that waiter with the hair and the thing-- yeah, that one) in the whispering incense swirled shadowy depths of the sparkling red velvet cashmere-lined tear-stained laughter-filled oud-paneled halls of mysterious mystery. Also available in shower gel.

Well maybe I will have to try this now...
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Well, I tried it just now..way, way too much cinnamon for me to like this! My husband hates it and to me, it's too sweet, a sweet cinnamon. With a smidge of smoke and leather..I want to like it..but just can't. Too sweet. I do appreciate the other notes but no, I don't like it. Sorry SB.

A great fragrance by V&R. One of the best new releases in a long time. It's on my "to buy list" and might pick it up at duty free if they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by smcandsmc View Post
    In various places around the interwebs, I keep seeing scorn heaped on the highly designed marketing, bottle design, the poetic language used by V&R to describe the scent, etc. As though V&R are the first to ever do any of that? Nobody else ever had an expensive ad campaign with models? I don't want to sound like a cheerleader for them, I'm just asking why the pile-on?

It's as though no other house has ever said something like 'it is the scent of ebony starless night, the cloudless summer sky, of chances taken and possibilities to come, a memory of a dream of a song about a bittersweet farewell first kiss in the rain on a bridge in Paris in a wintry wood in the middle of a Moroccan desert and the violets you tucked into your still warm linen shirt that I was wearing when you came home from the orris harvest with a small leather box filled with those cardamom madeleines we always got at that little place (no, not that one, the other one with that waiter with the hair and the thing-- yeah, that one) in the whispering incense swirled shadowy depths of the sparkling red velvet cashmere-lined tear-stained laughter-filled oud-paneled halls of mysterious mystery. Also available in shower gel.
    Great post and welcome.

It's true. Fragrance marketing has quite a bit of expected hyperbole. Spicebomb is just a fun marketing campaign with a catchy modern song and young male models. I think it's a great men's gourmand.

I draw the line at fake "histories" and "patrons" such as the house of Creed, Rance and D'Orsay. If the scents are wonderful, there is no need to falsehoods.

Rance was outed by Luca Turin in his blog.

There is enough out there on Creed's history, and the history of D'Orsay (founded in 1908 and not 1830 as on the bottles) is well documented:

Nigel Groom, 2nd ed. "The Perfume Handbook."
    Ken Leach. "Perfume Presentations."
    Madeline Marsh. "Miller's Perfume Bottles: A Collector's Guide."
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I tried this yesterday.

It instantly reminded me of Caravelle Epicee the first 2 hours then reminded me of Back to Black sans the honey note.

Very nice release From Victor & Rolf.
    That + the Tea For Two mention makes me want to sample it ASAP!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

I like Spice bomb way more than Pure Shot or Chanel Allure Sport Extreme. I don't know if I would wear it much in the summer but will be getting in the fall.

I like SB better than the new Chanel, but that's not saying much. Tried it today at Nordie's. Spicebomb is a pass for me. No thanks.

Received a sample the other day.
    I love cinnamon, therefore I like this fragrance. I felt like a walking sweet cinnamon stick, or a Big Red chewing gum. Delish...

Reminds me a quite a lot of LOccitane Eauv De Baux, not sure if I'd fork over $95 when I can get the EdB for $50.

A few months ago I went and got both spicebomb and eau de baux on a card and posted about them being very similar.

I now own both and can categorically say that they really aren't all that similar at all, in actuality.

i found spicebomb to be very similar to Tea for Two and Musc Ravageur.

I got a spray sample of this the other day. I like it, but it reminds me a little too much of Tea for Two, which I already own (and like better anyway). If I can find it at a reduced price, I might pick it up. For $95 I can get a nicer fragrance than this. Cool bottle, though.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

I wore Spicebomb yesterday. It's nice, but not $95 nice.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I agree it's a little overpriced

Smells a lot like Bulgari Black to me(at least in the drydown). I put it on in the morning with 2 upper chest sprays and felt like I was suffocating by mid-afternoon.

Banned

Spicebomb appears to have purloined its varied, scent paths from other, existing scents. And, although I give the fragrance a "Thumbs Up," it is given unenthusiastically because of the flagrant lack of originality.

This is my SOTD, or should I say Scent Of The Hour, since that's all it lasts. This is a typical, crappy, watered down Macy's frag. Please don't even think the 80's are back. All you have to do is spray some Patou pour Homme on (a real 80's frag) to know Spicebomb is a major dud.

And for the bottle - Repulsive, hideous, and an insult to my intelligence. This stuff is marketed towards children who will enjoy the gimmicky concept.
    Last edited by thebeck; 29th May 2012 at 12:59 PM.

Very unimpressed with this frag as well. I'm all about sweeter smelling fragrances, but this one just made me feel ill...

There are about a hundred other frags I would recommend at this price.
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

In contrast to thebeck I find that spicebomb has immense longevity and sillage. Almost too much, in fact.

Blog Entries

'it is the scent of ebony starless night, the cloudless summer sky, of....

Also available in shower gel.
    lol!

Good Projection
    Good Longevity
    Not at all linear.
    Fantastic stuff, and I must agree with hednic that this is one of the best deigner releases in a while, for me the best since original Dior Homme.

For a fleeting second in the spray just out of the bottle I pick up something that was present in the mid 90's Fahrenheits, that slightly abrasive supergreen accord. For that alone I love this fragrance.

Got some samples yesterday and I love it. I can see the 1 million, tobacco Vanille comparison but it is blended very well. A bottle is definitely on order.

When I first got SB I didn't think it was all that great. However, I think it's great now. It certainly does smell similar to Eau de Beaux and Gucci PH II. The projection is very strong for the first 2 hours but becomes a skin scent. Still only lasts 6-8 hours. I love the bottle. It feels very weighted and sturdy. The sprayer is fantastic...it's not quite Dior Homme smooth, or Creed powerful, but it's great in it's own right. I have the shower gel and it's pretty amazing. Lathers up easily and smells very nice. It's versatile and I can use the shower gel to layer when I wear SB, TV, Eau des Beaux, Gucci PH 2, or 1 Million.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    So I received three sample bottles of SpiceBomb by Victor and Rolf last week. After a week of it, let me just say, the 80's are back, and they're back with a vengeance. This is a powerhouse patchouli and spice blended fragrance with a citrus note lingering. Victor and Rolf are having a Kajagoogoo moment here and this has more than a passing resemblance to Michel Almarac's 1989 classic Joop! Homme. Great longevity on this; 8+ hours easily. It's also quite pleasant to smell as well. Am I blown away? No, this is, as I said, a nostalgic creation, and I have some issues with versatility and imagining where this would be appropriate to wear. I found myself nervous wearing to to work because of the projection.

An Olivier Polge fragrance wouldn't be complete without the obligatory pepper note, and it's here too. Basically Pepper, Patchoulli and Citrus is what you're getting here. It's a bomb alright, but I'd be cautious on application, this can get cloying, go easy on the trigger

7/10 = respectable
    Yeah, Spicebomb is respectable and I agree with your rating of a 7. If it were $60 instead of $100, and if the projection was better, then it could be worth a 9 or even a 10 maybe.

The projection is a problem because the first hour it projects way too much and after that it barely projects at all.

(Yay, post 500!)

I was a bit disappointed with Spice Bomb when I tried it a few weeks back. Mainly because at the back of my mind I remembered this thread and was expecting a lot more. I agree it is very good, but just not overwhelmingly great.

I think scents like PI, Body Kouros, Altamir, Gaultier Squared are on par or better.

I don't get the connection to Eau Des Baux and Gucci PH 11, which I also own.
    Regards,
    Renato

...'it is the scent of ebony starless night....Also available in shower gel.
    Literally LOL. That was excellent!

I recently sampled Spicebomb at the duty-free shop at Dulles airport. First impression: I agree with the 7/10 rating; respectable. Sweet cinnamon tea...I definitely got a similarity to Tea For Two, and dare I say it: it might be an improvement on T42. No, wait, hear me out:

Tea For Two was one of the first 'real' perfumes I ever bought, and I like it, BUT it has an achilles heel AFAIC: as an oriental with a 'hole where the amber usually goes' (as Tania Sanchez aptly put it), leaves it a bit TOO dry, and after a long day's wearing (and sweating), T42 can go unpleasantly sour (smells revoltingly like ketchup on me)...a problem that a touch of sweetness could have fixed.

So enter Spicebomb...a downmarket Tea For Two with a great big gumdrop sweetness up top, drying down respectably to something in the Bulgari Black extended family (was this an Annick Menardo juice???). It's a little too sweet in the topnote, but thankfully, it calms down after a short while into something quite wearable without seeming too frivolous. At the just-under-$100 pricepoint, it's a bit pricey, but I paid $50 more than that for my bottle of Tea For Two, and can't really wear it anymore, so $95 seems reasonable. Bonus: cute bottle.

I can't speak to the similarity to Eau des Baux (haven't sampled that one yet), but pending a sampling of EdB, I may actually replace my dusty bottle of T42 with Spicebomb.

If it's only half as good as Antidote, I will sure blind buy it with no hesitation...
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection in the morning matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day". I don't want to miss that

Current Top 12 Spring: | Chanel Allure Blanche | Guerlain Homme Intense |
    Dior Fahrenheit | Givenchy pour Homme | Carolina Herrera for Men | Narciso Rodriguez Him | T. Mugler A*Men Sunessence | Trussardi Inside | C. Herrera Chic | Azzaro PH | M. Kors Michael for Men | Pal Zileri Sartoriale |

Is Spice Bomb must have for Gucci II lover? I can get it rather cheap (like 45euros for gift set with 50ml EDT). It is more similiar to Gucci PH II (which I love) or Tea For Two (which I like but find rather hard to wear) ?
    TOP 4 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 4 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme

I prefer Musc Ravageur over SB, less sweet from what I remember.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    Literally LOL. That was excellent!

I recently sampled Spicebomb at the duty-free shop at Dulles airport. First impression: I agree with the 7/10 rating; respectable. Sweet cinnamon tea...I definitely got a similarity to Tea For Two, and dare I say it: it might be an improvement on T42. No, wait, hear me out:

Tea For Two was one of the first 'real' perfumes I ever bought, and I like it, BUT it has an achilles heel AFAIC: as an oriental with a 'hole where the amber usually goes' (as Tania Sanchez aptly put it), leaves it a bit TOO dry, and after a long day's wearing (and sweating), T42 can go unpleasantly sour (smells revoltingly like ketchup on me)...a problem that a touch of sweetness could have fixed.

So enter Spicebomb...a downmarket Tea For Two with a great big gumdrop sweetness up top, drying down respectably to something in the Bulgari Black extended family (was this an Annick Menardo juice???). It's a little too sweet in the topnote, but thankfully, it calms down after a short while into something quite wearable without seeming too frivolous. At the just-under-$100 pricepoint, it's a bit pricey, but I paid $50 more than that for my bottle of Tea For Two, and can't really wear it anymore, so $95 seems reasonable. Bonus: cute bottle.

I can't speak to the similarity to Eau des Baux (haven't sampled that one yet), but pending a sampling of EdB, I may actually replace my dusty bottle of T42 with Spicebomb.
    You've really voiced the exact reason I bought SpiceBomb at launch, and habitually hesitate on Tea for Two. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    Is Spice Bomb must have for Gucci II lover? I can get it rather cheap (like 45euros for gift set with 50ml EDT). It is more similiar to Gucci PH II (which I love) or Tea For Two (which I like but find rather hard to wear) ?
    SpiceBomb has a certain woody/spicy facet that is almost a dead ringer for one in GPHII - enough so that I tend to use the latter's shower gel when I'm wearing SpiceBomb. But I would have a hard time saying which one (GPHII or T42) it resembles more, overall.

I could not get a fair offer for swap or sell for my Spicebomb, and now I'm glad I did not! I wore three sprays to work today and it has been a very enjoyable ride. No compliments, but I have loved it. Sometimes it's best when you don't sell a scent you think you don't like. I think my mistake when I wore it before was that I wore too much, like 5 sprays. With three, it's just better for some reason.