Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Which perfumes make men melt when you walk past?

None. Nobody has melted :-(
    I wish they would.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumarin View Post
    I wish they would.
    Lol, I don't think my fragrances have induced any melting either. Bf usually just says things smell "like something else you have."

One fellow in a Verizon store spun around with an intense look and then leaned in towards me and exclaimed "You smell GOOD!" then took another deep breath and left (thankfully) but I was only wearing a smear of lemongrass EO, mixed with a tiny bit of patchouli and some lavender (I think-- I was just fooling around with my oils.) And a similar combo garnered compliments from another random guy at a party, and happily, he was less scary than the other guy in the store. So maybe Foustie is onto something re. lemons, as the lemongrass is usually the most noticeable. And, yes, this is despite the ubiquitous lemons in LA.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    I think that this may come as a surprise, and it is contrary to much of what the guys are saying on this thread, but I have noticed, really noticed that there is a theme around when I get compliments from men, and it is not "feminine" or sexy or sweet, or soft fragrances. It is Lemons! Lemons and herbs, lemons and woods, lemons and limes etc etc. You might be surpised but it is true... Honest! And I am definately talking about men. Women compliment on different ones. I have thought about it and I wonder if what is actually happening is that they are smelling something that appeals to themselves?

Does anyone have anything to say about this, particulary the guys?
    Last edited by cestrum nocturnum; 9th March 2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: edit brought to you by the Dept. of Redundancy Dept.

Only two of that I can vividly remember.

Madeline Mono, the original. Wore it eons ago, and as I came out of a shop at a mall, a security guard asked me what was the perfume I was wearing that day. Said he wanted to buy some for his girlfriend. So, on that account, I would say anything heavy on tuberose.

Recently, I wore Vanilla Musk out shopping (again!). I was at an electronics store and one of the salesmen kept following me around. Finally, he said he couldnt help it, but had to know what the perfume was that I was wearing. Vanilla would seem to be popular with men.

HTH, I do wear perfume everyday, but can only recall these two incidents.

No, none have caused a meltdown for me either - looks like a citrus/lemon may be a frontrunner though.... oh well, there's always the smell of bacon, according to Tania Sanchez, and quite a few men I've known

Austin, Texas. Rabat, Morocco. Athens, Greece. Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IngaMi View Post
    No, none have caused a meltdown for me either - looks like a citrus/lemon may be a frontrunner though.... oh well, there's always the smell of bacon, according to Tania Sanchez, and quite a few men I've known
    My suspicion is that certain scents do wonders on certain people. Perhaps it's merely finding the right fit?
    14 sprays for 1 mL

Quote Originally Posted by Cumarin View Post
    I wish they would.
    It's cute reading about you ladies wanting a secret love potion that can make a man melt with one sniff. Fortunately for ya'll, women happen to be God's most beautiful creation. All a girl needs to do is smile and bat her lashes, and I'll be reduced to a mere puddle of my former self on the floor. Now that's how you make a man melt. If you happen to smell great, that's icing on the cake.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    It's cute reading about you ladies wanting a secret love potion that can make a man melt with one sniff. Fortunately for ya'll, women happen to be God's most beautiful creation. All a girl needs to do is smile and bat her lashes, and I'll be reduced to a mere puddle of my former self on the floor. Now that's how you make a man melt. If you happen to smell great, that's icing on the cake.
    mesaboogie, people talk about this both on the men's and on the womens's side because this is a perfume discussion board ;-)
    Not because we think there actually is a love potion out there that defeats all other scents and means of attracting the opposite sex :-)

Good morning venerated board members.

For partially biographical reasons but mostly just because it smells so damned good, when I smell Gucci Rush I don't melt, I sublimate.

Also, Shalimar.

SLF by Love Potions Magickal Perfumarie. But, it's civet, amber, and musk, and loaded with pheromones.

I melt when I smell Coco Chanel on a woman.

I get turned on when I smell Chanel Chance. It smells so... Elegant!!

I think at this point that this thread should be made into a sticky, as there is one like it on the men's board.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Samsara
    Le Dix
    Coromandel
    Ivoire (balmain)
    Lancaster (original)
    Casmir
    Asja
    Hypnotic Poison
    Midnight Poison
    Poison
    Trussardi Donna
    Parure
    Diorella
    Laura Biagiotti

..and I'm pretty sure there's a lot more I'm forgetting right now that make me all hard and soft at the same time and at times makes me unsure whether i want to eat, caress or love, or all of those at the same time. As you can see my likes rely heavily on classics that also happen to be elegant in their own way.

cheers

Hi all, another straight male here (27 y.o), just thought I'd give my oppinion if I may take part?

I've smelled lots and to be honest (this is kind of embarassing), I would say Taylor Swift's Wonderstruck and ALL of the Britney Spears fragrances but particularly Fantasy. Again, I emphasise that I'm embarassed to admit it among fragrance buffs, but there you go. But really, anything reaking of femininity is going to turn a man's head and I'm not just saying that. It doesn't take as much as (I'd imagine) some women might think - that's the good news. Atleast according to me, as a general trend, anything very sweet is going to attract me. Interesting thread to read. What the opposite sex thinks about fragrances is always an interesting topic for everyone

Basenotes Plus

My husband reacts very favorably to:

Perfect Veil
    Egyptian Goddess
    Sensuous Nude
    Cashmere Mist

But truth be told, he says he loves the smell of me best. I feel the same way about him (vs. his wearing fragrance)
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Nobody melts in my wake either.

Ah, but just think of having to step over the puddle.
    DONNA

Actually, with 6 months to mature how I feel about fragrancing, I don't want random males melting at my feet or following my sillage. Fragrance is something I wear for me and possibly Mr Ali. If passersby can smell me I've oversprayed

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Nobody melts in my wake either.
    me too, lilbybelle! Or at least that I have noticed

Lilybelle & Cello - I'd melt in your wakes any day. You gals always smell divine.

I need to buy Hypnotic Poison, and soon.

One of the men in my life will lick me in passing, and in public if not stopped, if I am wearing Chinatown from Bond No. 9.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Here here, mesaboogie! Huzza!

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Lilybelle & Cello - I'd melt in your wakes any day. You gals always smell divine.
    Thank you, Gandhajala!

In my experience, though exceptions exist, what I find most alluring when it comes to fragrance is warmth and softness. Something that whispers and purs instead of shouting. Something that is unmistakably femenine (to my mind) although other fragrances can be attractive or pleasant in other ways.

I don't think a fragrance has ever made me melt. A woman wearing fragrance yes, but never just the fragrance. Although some things do smell very attractive out of the bottle or on paper, and some women do smell wonderful even if I don't find them attractive per se.

I'm inclined to agree with the fellow who said it takes a little bit of mental training before one is inclined to recognize these things in passing. Shoes, jewelery, fragrance, and the minor details of ones clothing (less the cut/style, more patterns and other minor accents) are things which in my experience arn't likely to draw numerous comments but they do have an effect.

Dependent

vanilla and roses get me
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

queen of the universe

Men—and women, and probably children and small fuzzy animals—literally followed me around when I wore Mollie Parnis back in the 80s. There's at least one basenotes denizen who is probably shaking his or her head, and others who might agree. Astringent peachy goodness and so much more.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Blog Entries

None of them, it's my scintillating personality, and rapier wit that has them on their knees

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    According to Chicago neurologist Alan Hirsch Ph.D., men's cologne usually causes a decrease in women's vaginal blood flow unless it is a natural fresh scent. What makes a man appealing to most women are light sprays and deodorants on him, such as ocean breeze, kiwi, or a combination of baby powder and chocolate. The smell of his own clean skin with a little fresh sweat, combined with fresh fruity scents, is the strongest stimulant for a woman, especially during her ovulation. Hirsch discovered that men's penile blood flow increased up to 40% from the smell of cinnamon buns, roast meat, cheese pizza, chocolate, vanilla or peppermint.

From Hirsch et al

So TS was wrong bacon isn't the smell men like best
    i agree with that neurologist, must say i rarely notice others smell so good especially in the street, shopping malls, just too many of other smells to go after it, but one time that i vividly remember a month ago , some gentlemen passed by and he was smelling to me like 28 La Pausa, i cant say he wore that scent but it smelled fresh , clean but with proper measure not like shampoo not cheap
    and i thought wow i like that smell only!! nothing else, was so elegant! flowery but not typical flower scent!

and as a woman when i was wearing deodorant 212Sexy Man from Carolina Herrera i got most compliments from women i ever got for any perfume!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iivanita View Post
    i agree with that neurologist, must say i rarely notice others smell so good especially in the street, shopping malls, just too many of other smells to go after it, but one time that i vividly remember a month ago , some gentlemen passed by and he was smelling to me like 28 La Pausa, i cant say he wore that scent but it smelled fresh , clean but with proper measure not like shampoo not cheap
    and i thought wow i like that smell only!! nothing else, was so elegant! flowery but not typical flower scent!

and as a woman when i was wearing deodorant 212Sexy Man from Carolina Herrera i got most compliments from women i ever got for any perfume!!!
    Ha! Nice post iivanita!

Banned

thank you Foustie

LouLou
    Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

Tabu was it for one of my old loves. No men much comment on what I wear lately (my husband always says what I wear smells "sweet"), but the female secretary at my office and I do salivate over what each other are wearing.

I don't know; I've already waltzed past too quickly to notice any puddles of man left behind. bwahahaha, just kidding. I don't think it's ever happened.
    I do know that my man loves me in Givenchy Organza Indecence, which is a newer purchase, but he has always swooned over Guerlain Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue (the man has good taste). Also L'Artisan Dzongkha... "What is that??? So nice..." he always says.
    I should also add that my girlfriends' husbands tell me I smell good when I'm wearing L'Heure Bleue.
    Last edited by turquoisewater; 17th October 2012 at 06:10 AM.

Hypnotic Poison definitly. Several men told me "you smell like paradise!"

Tabu was it for one of my old loves. No men much comment on what I wear lately (my husband always says what I wear smells "sweet"), but the female secretary at my office and I do salivate over what each other are wearing.
    The amazingness of Tabu cannot be overstated. Even as it is now, a drug-store cheapie, it's so creamy and warm and inviting, and - in my humble opinion - totally unisex. It seems to give different facets of itself when mingled with masculine/femenine chemistry. The newer, square-bottle 'cologne spray,' (which has insane longevity and beastly projection) honestly reminds me of Old Spice. They're not identicle. Both have a creamy quality which makes the juice smell like it could make a tasty beverage although Old Spice takes this further. Ironcally, I find Tabu spicier. Not to mention more sophisticated. Truly the Queen of the Drug Store. There's no beating about the bush. It's a comfy scent, easy to get close to. It's a darn shame it has the reputation it does, would that more women wore it.

As for the vintage, which can be had for the price of most modern designer fare, lawd. It's good stuff.

I'd like to mention another cheapie: Love's Baby Soft. More of a body spray than a proper fragrance. It's 70's in a big way but damn. To be completely honest? For me there is no more seductive aroma on earth. I've never met a man (at least of my generation) who didn't have a huge weak spot for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cylob View Post
    I melt when I smell Coco Chanel on a woman.
    I don't always melt but yep it came to my mind too.

Probably most perfumes by Dominique Ropion; that man is a genius.

Escada by Escada. I have smelled this on numerous women (because I gave it to them), and it never failed to enchant me.

Quote Originally Posted by Miket View Post
    The amazingness of Tabu cannot be overstated. Even as it is now, a drug-store cheapie, it's so creamy and warm and inviting, and - in my humble opinion - totally unisex. It seems to give different facets of itself when mingled with masculine/femenine chemistry. The newer, square-bottle 'cologne spray,' (which has insane longevity and beastly projection) honestly reminds me of Old Spice. They're not identicle. Both have a creamy quality which makes the juice smell like it could make a tasty beverage although Old Spice takes this further. Ironcally, I find Tabu spicier. Not to mention more sophisticated. Truly the Queen of the Drug Store. There's no beating about the bush. It's a comfy scent, easy to get close to. It's a darn shame it has the reputation it does, would that more women wore it.

As for the vintage, which can be had for the price of most modern designer fare, lawd. It's good stuff.

I'd like to mention another cheapie: Love's Baby Soft. More of a body spray than a proper fragrance. It's 70's in a big way but damn. To be completely honest? For me there is no more seductive aroma on earth. I've never met a man (at least of my generation) who didn't have a huge weak spot for this.
    Oh, I forgot about Love's Baby Soft!!! I can certainly see that one working - the ultimate comfort scent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Miket View Post

Oh, I forgot about Love's Baby Soft!!! I can certainly see that one working - the ultimate comfort scent.

Men go insane when I wear Escada Magnetism but, just recently, I had a man stop dead in his tracks in front of my office and tell me, "You smell great." He later said, "I'm just going to walk back and forth past your office. That fragrance was Jeanne La Rose by Lanvin.

Quote Originally Posted by RiveGaucheInstead View Post
    I melt when I smell an amazing fragrance on a man walking by...but this is such a rare occurence.
    Walk by me ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

To me any woman wearing any of the Escadas will do it!

Shalimar. definitely.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

While I've never seen anyone go from solid to liquid form, I've have strong reactions to two different perfumes that work quite well on me.

L'Eau d'Hiver is a scent that men seem love & want to smell on their SO. Habanita draws attention to me. So Malle for the daytime & Molinard at night works quite nicely.

As a man I go crazy when I smell Coco Madmoiselle EDP. And almost all the other Chanels for women.
    Dior Addict 2 is honourable mention.

^The Chanels really do seem to be crowd pleasers. Coco Mademoiselle is far and away my most complimented, by men and women alike. In my area it seems not so ubiquitous as it is in other locations. No.5 is also frequently noticed and one of the Mr.'s favorites.
    The nose wants what it wants!

DH has some favorites, usually the classics like Chanel No. 5 and Mitsouko, or classic-ish scents like Amouage Woman or Une Fleur de Cassie.

But the only perfume I've worn that causes other men to react has been Euphoria. I have a couple of theories for that: 1) It's strong, so people actually smell it on me from a distance; 2) It has that fruitchouli base that appeals to a large segment of men (and women) of a certain age. I'm not actually that crazy about it anymore and wear it maybe once a year, in the gel form. It still gets comments.

Compliment-getters for men:

Estee Pleasures Intense
    Victoria's Secret Orange Flower EDP
    Estee Tuberose Gardenia
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    According to Chicago neurologist Alan Hirsch Ph.D., men's cologne usually causes a decrease in women's vaginal blood flow unless it is a natural fresh scent. What makes a man appealing to most women are light sprays and deodorants on him, such as ocean breeze, kiwi, or a combination of baby powder and chocolate. The smell of his own clean skin with a little fresh sweat, combined with fresh fruity scents, is the strongest stimulant for a woman, especially during her ovulation. Hirsch discovered that men's penile blood flow increased up to 40% from the smell of cinnamon buns, roast meat, cheese pizza, chocolate, vanilla or peppermint.

From Hirsch et al

So TS was wrong bacon isn't the smell men like best
    Wow! And seems true most of the time. My wife loves AdG Essenza on me especially during *certain times* and I love gourmand and dark scents on her. What sucks is she considers anything vanilla "old lady," doesn't like chocolates, and always prefers sweet florals on herself. And whenever I wear something with tobacco or leather or strong wood or interesting, she says she would rather I wear "fresh" scents. But if she dabbed bacon grease behind her ears she had better be in easy access attire or something's getting ripped :[=]

My man loves to get in to trouble with me when I am wearing trouble by boucherona man followed me for a while and repeated asked me the name of the frag I was wearing which was Alien. I no longer wear it because I think my body chemistry has changed or else my nose.

Cashmere Mist works as well
    I get all kinds of stares and attention when wearing Ms.Westwoods Boudoir!
    "While the king is at his table, my perfume fills the air with its fragrance." SoS 1:12

Quote Originally Posted by Scent-imental View Post
    None of them, it's my scintillating personality, and rapier wit that has them on their knees
    You'd think with a combination of the above plus lashings of Hypnotic Poison, theyd all be prostrating at my feet.

You'd be wrong.

(is it the glasses? Is it the glasses? Gwan tell me, it's the glasses isn't it?)

Vintage HCI would have me melting, but only the extrait version, batch number X01.
    I'm most susceptible on Thursday evening between 9pm and 10.45pm, after which I start getting a bit tired

Guess I should start to worry, since hubby came home from Paris with a bottle of Isabey Gardenia lol

- - - Updated - - -

Oops that was a reply for an earlier comment!
    Hypnotic poison and narciso Rodríguez are the most complimentet by men in My experience.. Hubby likes the glam florals though. Cartiers Baiser vole's vanilla Lily flowershop is a good contender too!

I think Dior has the handle on "perfumes that make you melt."
    Eau Sauvage makes me melt everytime and it seems Hypnotic Poison
    Elixir does it for a lot of men.

I know Roudnitska did ES but wasn't it
    Annick Menardo that did HPE?? Or did she do the original HP and Francois Demachy the Elixir version.
    Last edited by kewart; 23rd March 2013 at 10:50 AM.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Without a doubt, the perfume that makes men and women both melt before me is Dior Addict. NO other fragrance comes close. I've had people practically hump my wrists

Here are my personal top five fragrances for melt effect:
    - Dior Addict EDP
    - A Lab on Fire - What We Do In Paris is Secret
    - Chanel Coco Mademoiselle
    - Burberry Brit
    - Stella McCartney Rose Absolute

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-in-FL View Post
    That has never happened to me, it sounds really messy.

Really, it has to be individual. Of my close personal acquaintances of the less gentle sex, their perfume preferences, when asked what they like to smell on women, or on me in particular answered thusly:

1. Vanilla
    2. Nothing
    3. Anything but vanilla.

But nobody has ever melted, thankfully.
    I totally agree. The closest I have seen to melting on others is with Profumi del Forte Vittoria Apuana. A very beach-y tropical cocoloco but gorgeous scent that just blooms in the heat. I find it 'plainer' in the winter.
    My husband and male colleagues in the office always comment positively when I wear Amouage, and mine are Opus VI, Interlude and Memoir.
    Women, on the other hand, always compliment Montale Sweet Oriental Dream.

I like powder and Jasmine in a woman. I almost turn straight with:

Shalimar
    Teint de Neige
    Joy de Patou

In my experiences men love strong, long lasting, feminine fragrances: Chanel N5, Fracas, Carnal Flower, Alien, Coco M.lle, Coco Noir, Allure, Hypnotic Poison, Champs Elysées, Pure Poison, Narciso Rodriguez For Her.

Makes my knees weak every time...Bottega Veneta Eau de Parfum. Unfortunately, not many women in their mid-20s wear it.

In my experience, both men and women alike have the strongest positive reactions to when I am wearing Givenchy Organza Indecence (vintage), the 2nd would be my Adrienne Vittadini and then 3rd would be Narciso Rodriguez for Her. **Honorable Mention: I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I also get a lot of guys following me around like dogs when I wear Aquolina Pink Sugar Sensual, haha!
    ****Making the world a better place One Scented Hug at a Time.... ****

treeman5823

Eau de Pizza Hut. Hot.