Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Austin, Texas. Rabat, Morocco. Athens, Greece. Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Blog Entries

Default Which perfumes make men melt when you walk past?

I saw a thread in the male fragrances asking what scents women love...so here's the one for us. Which scents do you notice turn heads?

Default Re: Which perfumes make men melt when you walk past?

The DH loves soliflores on me: plumeria and jasmine.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

Husband loves Hypnotic Poison , Fracas and Carnal Flower .
    I think he loves Hypnotic Poison best and so does my son .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry, it must be annoying to have guys interject themselves in your conversations as often as we seem to do (I sometimes get annoyed just seeing it), but the topic is relevant and I just can't help offering a few of my favorites on women. So, you said melt...and I'm taking that literally. As an easy example, a few of the Chanel offerings for women are fantastic, but I'm not sure I would say they make me melt. moon sparkle by escada i would say makes me melt. dior addict would be the runner-up. hypnotic poison too.

Definitely Alien
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by autumngleeman View Post
    I'm sorry, it must be annoying to have guys interject themselves in your conversations as often as we seem to do (I sometimes get annoyed just seeing it), but the topic is relevant and I just can't help offering a few of my favorites on women. So, you said melt...and I'm taking that literally. As an easy example, a few of the Chanel offerings for women are fantastic, but I'm not sure I would say they make me melt. moon sparkle by escada i would say makes me melt. dior addict would be the runner-up. hypnotic poison too.
    Autumn, don't feel unwelcome here! We are at ease on both forums! Thank you for your input!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

most vanilla based scents on a woman make me melt.
    JPG classique smells wonderful

I love a lot of perfumes on my wife.....

Carnal Flower, La Femme Bleu, Michael Kors Miacheal Kors, Iris Pallida, Un Jardin sur Le Toit , Violet Blond and many more.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

I'm taking notes.

Blog Entries

My bf totally adores Allure on me.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

As a man, Stella by Stella McCartney on women is nice.

as autumngleeman said, 'sorry to barge in on your thread, ladies' but thought i'd give my input as a guy (if that's ok):
    i loove on my wife the following: guerlinade, ormonde jayne woman, ormonde jayne orris noir, tom ford black orchid and one of my absolute all time favourites - ferre no 20 (heavy gold metal square bottle in a black velvet pouch). also, a few from chanel...
    Last edited by danny1967; 3rd March 2012 at 10:05 AM.

Mr Ali loves and buys me vintage Poison, Gaultier2 and Chanel No5. He buys me other things if I put orders in but they are what he loves best and left to his own devices will choose. Chanel No5 always in Extrait or EDT, he says EdP smells off. Clever boy recognizing it's a slightly different fragrance

Joining in to give another guy's opinion

If a girl is wearing Victoria Secret Love Spell and walks by, she better be able to outrun me Curve for women also smells great. Katy Perry Purr might cause me to go into caveman mode with a club in hand. I'm not picky honestly. Pretty much any perfume smells good to me except for the musky ones. I prefer them to smell girly and soft. It helps if a girl wears a low cut top or leaves the top few buttons of her blouse unbuttoned to help her perfume emanate more In all seriousness, most guys don't pay attention to what perfume a girl is wearing as long as it smells good.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I've likely had the most "emotional" compliments when wearing Shalimar. From hubby, lately Mitsouko. I'll add Carnal Flower too.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Have had very positive responses from men while wearing L'Or de Torrente. Mr.T loves honeysuckle and gardenia.

OT: (about melting) What's the difference between a snowman and a snowwoman? -- Snowballs!

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Have had very positive responses from men while wearing L'Or de Torrente. Mr.T loves honeysuckle and gardenia.

OT: (about melting) What's the difference between a snowman and a snowwoman? -- Snowballs!
    Twolf! lol!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Armani Mania 2004, of course. Lady Million, Prada L'eau Ambree.

I've heard a couple times men do go a little nutty for Love Spell. I don't like it myself. I don't like VS as a whole, the store or their merchandise. I think that place is a place that was classy before all the tacky advertising. It was a nice, classy boutique. Now I think that place is tacky, on the cheap side, and has nothing that impresses me much. JMHO.
    Last edited by kalli; 3rd March 2012 at 02:42 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

I think that this may come as a surprise, and it is contrary to much of what the guys are saying on this thread, but I have noticed, really noticed that there is a theme around when I get compliments from men, and it is not "feminine" or sexy or sweet, or soft fragrances. It is Lemons! Lemons and herbs, lemons and woods, lemons and limes etc etc. You might be surpised but it is true. Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Sicilia (lots of times); Annick Goutal, Eau D'Hadrian and Eau du Sud (lots, usually something like "you smell lovely like you just came out of a shower"!), Carthusia Mediterraneo (strange man in shop asks what I am wearing and where he can get it), Acqua De Genova, which is lemons , limes, flowers and woods, (the same). Honest! And I am definately talking about men. Women compliment on different ones. I have thought about it and I wonder if what is actually happening is that they are smelling something that appeals to themselves?

Does anyone have anything to say about this, particulary the guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Tztztztztztzzzzzz.... Wolfie!!

En Avion makes me all gooey! And Coco... I think I would recognize it anywhere.

Larimar, I can't tell you how tickled I am. I am wearing Coco today!

Oh, and it has just occured....I would love to smell it on a man. Oooo

Mmmmmmm, you smell divine! You see, this one is sacred... I don't wear it!

Smelling Amouages Homage on a lady does it for me, its a fragrance fit for a princess.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    I think that this may come as a surprise, and it is contrary to much of what the guys are saying on this thread, but I have noticed, really noticed that there is a theme around when I get compliments from men, and it is not "feminine" or sexy or sweet, or soft fragrances. It is Lemons! Lemons and herbs, lemons and woods, lemons and limes etc etc. You might be surpised but it is true. Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Sicilia (lots of times); Annick Goutal, Eau D'Hadrian and Eau du Sud (lots, usually something like "you smell lovely like you just came out of a shower"!), Carthusia Mediterraneo (strange man in shop asks what I am wearing and where he can get it), Acqua De Genova, which is lemons , limes, flowers and woods, (the same). Honest! And I am definately talking about men. Women compliment on different ones. I have thought about it and I wonder if what is actually happening is that they are smelling something that appeals to themselves?

Foustie- I don't doubt a word you are saying but- it may be that because Scotland is not a great producer of lemons, citrus scents may seem very mysterious and alluring to your fellas. Whereas here in SoCal where everyone's got lemon or orange trees growing in their yards, I've never received any notice when I'm wearing citrus. But if I wore something peaty and whiskey-ish I bet they'd sit up and take notice! just kidding.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Basenotes Plus

No NO NO Don't be annoyed autumngleeman! We love the boys to visit. We will attack you only with (((Hugs)))

A Scent Rescuer

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    But if I wore something peaty and whiskey-ish I bet they'd sit up and take notice! just kidding.
    That's MY woman!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    That's MY woman!
    You are such a tease, dear man. Auntie Knit is quite flattered.
    A Scent Rescuer

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

This may sound strange given that my husband and I both enjoy wearing fragrance, but neither of us is attracted to the other more based on what perfumes we are wearing. Nothing I wear makes him melt, nothing he wears makes me melt. Our natural scent does, yes, but not perfumes.

So I asked him whether he's smelled any fragrance, anywhere, that has had that effect on him, and he said, "No."

Here are the scents that get my attention when worn by Wife!!!
    * Flower Bomb by Viktor & Rolf
    * Spring Flowers and Love In White by Creed
    * Union Square and Scent Of Peace by Bond No.9
    * Laura by Laura Biagiotti
    * Mania Pour Femme by Armani
    * 5th Avenue by Arden
    And many more!!!
    Gary

In my experience.... Most straight men seem to love vanillas (cheap, expensive - doesn't matter), most gay men like the florals, especially the expensive ones.
    It's been a long hot Summer in Sydney, looking forward to Winter & wearing vanilla fragrances.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post

So I asked him whether he's smelled any fragrance, anywhere, that has had that effect on him, and he said, "No."
    I melt when I smell an amazing fragrance on a man walking by...but this is such a rare occurence.

I honestly believe that the man-in-the-street (at least in the UK) pays very little attention to the perfume a woman is wearing, as equally to her earrings, nail-polish, lipstick etc. I can't recall a single male ever commenting on a woman's perfume to me. Physical attributes (breasts, legs, eyes), yes.

Speaking for myself, it was only when I became interested in perfume that I began to truly take note of what those around me were wearing. Slowly, I became curious about other sartorial flourishes and as my education, began following a few fashion and makeup blogs. It truly opened my eyes to a whole new world (turns out, 'discontinuation' and 'reformulation' are plagues which are visited not only on perfumes, but lipsticks / blushes / eyeliners / foundations etc etc too!) and gave me a deep respect for the kind of routines many women go through to acheive a given 'look'. Now, I really enjoy noticing a woman's bracelet or eye-shadow but this is something I've had to consciously learn to do (and continue to learn to do).

In sum, I think if a male passer-by has a strong interest in fragrance, or has been exposed to a lot of different perfumes (as, say, some of the lucky partners of the BN ladies) then your choice may affect him. If not, then I suspect it will barely register.

Hope that isn't too depressing a picture I've painted!

So, you said melt...and I'm taking that literally.
    No way!

As a guy, only if nothing too generic, youthful or vapid is being worn. However, if the lady wears something classic, no-nonsense and mature like Le Dix, even solid and reliable No.5 (not a bit dated or antiquated to me), Insolence, Air du Temps, J'Adore and Dolce Vita by Dior, Je Reviens, Venezia almost certainly achieve this effect - guess I am something of an old-fashioned romantic when it comes to scents
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 4th March 2012 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    Foustie- I don't doubt a word you are saying but- it may be that because Scotland is not a great producer of lemons, citrus scents may seem very mysterious and alluring to your fellas. Whereas here in SoCal where everyone's got lemon or orange trees growing in their yards, I've never received any notice when I'm wearing citrus. But if I wore something peaty and whiskey-ish I bet they'd sit up and take notice! just kidding.
    They are hardly mysterious darling. We have had them since the Roman Conquest. BUT do you know what? EUREKA I think that there might be something in what you say! A combination of lack of Vitamin D, and a love of the Mediterranean is what makes lemon appeal to Scotsmen. So there we have it! Easy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeLLsTar View Post
    In my experience.... Most straight men seem to love vanillas (cheap, expensive - doesn't matter), most gay men like the florals, especially the expensive ones.
    Very interesting observation! For me, personally, feminine gourmands and vanilla-based orientals tend to be "grrrrrr!" scents - when I smell them, I tend to turn my head, looking for a well-dressed, sexy woman. When I smell the modern fruity florals, I tend to look for a younger woman, more innocently dressed, but everything from casual to business. When I smell things leaning toward white flowers, I expect more mature ladies, dressed nicely. When I smell other things - iris, aquatic citrus, more unisex, and especially if it smells expensive - I often expect a business woman.

Generally speaking, perfume does turn my head, but I find that it's the spicy gourmands and orientals that tend to make me almost involuntarily turn my head while walking in the mall or store, with the thought "OMG! I am checking out a woman, everybody is seeing me do it, and I can't help myself!" Fortunately, as a known fragrance nut, I have a handy excuse for those who know me, but it really is involuntary sometimes.

Occasionally, the fragrance and the person don't correlate at all with my expectations, leading to some interesting looks on my face!

I dont know about men in general but my boyfriend loves Shalimar on me. He calls it "a soft powdery veil with something skanky lurking beneath". He loves sniffing my wrist when I wear it. However, he's indifferent to Mitsy. Poor Mitsy.

I also had a conversation with my friends (who are teenage boys) and they had stated they don't like vanilla on a girl (why smell like cake, they say) and prefer fruity florals or shampoo like scents.

That has never happened to me, it sounds really messy.

Really, it has to be individual. Of my close personal acquaintances of the less gentle sex, their perfume preferences, when asked what they like to smell on women, or on me in particular answered thusly:

1. Vanilla
    2. Nothing
    3. Anything but vanilla.

But nobody has ever melted, thankfully.
    Last edited by Robin-in-FL; 4th March 2012 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robin-in-fl View Post
    that has never happened to me, it sounds really messy.

Really, it has to be individual. Of my close personal acquaintances of the less gentle sex, their perfume preferences, what they like to smell on women, or on me in particular:

1. Vanilla
    2. Nothing
    3. Anything but vanilla.
    lol!

According to Chicago neurologist Alan Hirsch Ph.D., men's cologne usually causes a decrease in women's vaginal blood flow unless it is a natural fresh scent. What makes a man appealing to most women are light sprays and deodorants on him, such as ocean breeze, kiwi, or a combination of baby powder and chocolate. The smell of his own clean skin with a little fresh sweat, combined with fresh fruity scents, is the strongest stimulant for a woman, especially during her ovulation. Hirsch discovered that men's penile blood flow increased up to 40% from the smell of cinnamon buns, roast meat, cheese pizza, chocolate, vanilla or peppermint.

From Hirsch et al

So TS was wrong bacon isn't the smell men like best

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    ... Hirsch discovered that men's penile blood flow increased up to 40% from the smell of cinnamon buns, roast meat, cheese pizza, chocolate, vanilla or peppermint...
    Hilarious.
    Cheese pizza...

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Hilarious.
    Cheese pizza...
    I'm curious how they did the study. Can't have been invasive surely

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by KeLLsTar View Post
    Hmm, I may be the oddball here then. I tend to absolutely adore rose notes and gardenia, and overall floral tends to give off a more mature, casual approach that I love.

To note, I am also young, so I think the reason for this liking is my mother's perfume growing up. Psychologically speaking, I do remember something to the effect of chasing after the opposite sex who subtly resemble your parents (and here, perfume too!).

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Very interesting observation! For me, personally, feminine gourmands and vanilla-based orientals tend to be "grrrrrr!" scents - when I smell them, I tend to turn my head, looking for a well-dressed, sexy woman. When I smell the modern fruity florals, I tend to look for a younger woman, more innocently dressed, but everything from casual to business. When I smell things leaning toward white flowers, I expect more mature ladies, dressed nicely. When I smell other things - iris, aquatic citrus, more unisex, and especially if it smells expensive - I often expect a business woman.
    Agree completely!
    Last edited by chrisbar1104; 4th March 2012 at 10:55 PM.
    "The most beautiful sea hasnít been crossed yet. The most beautiful child hasnít grown up yet. The most beautiful days we havenít seen yet. And the most beautiful words I wanted to tell you... I havenít said yetÖ"
    -Nazim Hikmet Ran

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    I honestly believe that the man-in-the-street (at least in the UK) pays very little attention to the perfume a woman is wearing, as equally to her earrings, nail-polish, lipstick etc. I can't recall a single male ever commenting on a woman's perfume to me. Physical attributes (breasts, legs, eyes), yes.

Speaking for myself, it was only when I became interested in perfume that I began to truly take note of what those around me were wearing. Slowly, I became curious about other sartorial flourishes and as my education, began following a few fashion and makeup blogs. It truly opened my eyes to a whole new world (turns out, 'discontinuation' and 'reformulation' are plagues which are visited not only on perfumes, but lipsticks / blushes / eyeliners / foundations etc etc too!) and gave me a deep respect for the kind of routines many women go through to acheive a given 'look'. Now, I really enjoy noticing a woman's bracelet or eye-shadow but this is something I've had to consciously learn to do (and continue to learn to do).

In sum, I think if a male passer-by has a strong interest in fragrance, or has been exposed to a lot of different perfumes (as, say, some of the lucky partners of the BN ladies) then your choice may affect him. If not, then I suspect it will barely register.

Hope that isn't too depressing a picture I've painted!
    Not at all. Your input is fantastic though I thought we'd all already assumed that most men were noticing other attributes first and foremost.

That said, I think there is a segment of the population (men and women) who are more attuned to smells than the general population. I've also rarely heard a woman comment on a man's scent as one of his "attributes"...so I only have myself to go on. Personally, it's rare that I've run across a scent on a man that has me wanting to shake my hair out and whisper "take me now"...but it HAS happened. I mean...the emotional response.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post

i think they like these smells because they appeal to themselves, very right about that, dead on!

There must be something else to make you melt, dear guys, but perfume only, I guess. Perfume as the only attractant - it sounds very unlikely to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alicka61 View Post
    There must be something else to make you melt, dear guys, but perfume only, I guess. Perfume as the only attractant - it sounds very unlikely to me.
    Ill be frank, gentle bouncing and swaying of certain body parts seem to heighten the male sensory system. Which in turns makes other sensory signals emitted from her to be more appealing and animated like the sound of her laughter, the smell of perfume and other body language.. Said body parts need not be exaggerated in size actually.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Ill be frank, gentle bouncing and swaying of certain body parts seem to heighten the male sensory system. Which in turns makes other sensory signals emitted from her to be more appealing and animated like the sound of her laughter, the smell of perfume and other body language.. Said body parts need not be exaggerated in size actually.
    lol, spoken like a true red blooded straight guy, couldn't agree more (and second the last statement about jessica rabbit/pam anderson pneumatic style of exaggerating - bad taste).

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 ,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

LOL! Hedi, your turn of phrase is priceless! Genius.

I almost passed this thread up for ignoring the "what scents chicks dig/get you the most female compliments" sticky thread restriction, but it's a thoughtful one, so I guess it's time to jump into the fray, again!
    I, too, have wondered: If men love men's fragrances, shouldn't women wear them? and vice-versa. I guess it's like clothing, though, a person wants to look and smell like the gender one prefers to be.

There was a Swiss study done, once, that pointed out why men and women have INDIVIDUAL preferences based on their immune systems: We choose mates whose genes are most likely to guarantee hetrogenous (mixed) traits in our offspring--in other words, children with genetic diversity that increases their chances of survival by ensuring strong immune systems. And we can do that with our noses based on which fragrances we prefer. Cool, huh?

http://beheco.oxfordjournals.org/content/12/2/140.full

An offshoot of the findings showed that there are some scents that are universally more attractive to people. Bergamot and heliotrope ranked highest. Vanilla, neroli, rosewood, and cinnamon were popular, too.

So, I guess mates are supposed to smell different from each other--not men and women, collectively, but individuals.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Hypnotic Poison Elixir

Come rain or come shine,
    this one works everytime!

Lol thanks Danny,mesa and Foustie.

for swap/sale:

H., these are some great observations -- my opinion of you and your tastes in women and fragrances skyrocketed immensely, you know? Hugs.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    I almost passed this thread up for ignoring the "what scents chicks dig/get you the most female compliments" sticky thread restriction, but it's a thoughtful one, so I guess it's time to jump into the fray, again!
    I, too, have wondered: If men love men's fragrances, shouldn't women wear them? and vice-versa. I guess it's like clothing, though, a person wants to look and smell like the gender one prefers to be.

There was a Swiss study done, once, that pointed out why men and women have INDIVIDUAL preferences based on their immune systems: We choose mates whose genes are most likely to guarantee hetrogenous (mixed) traits in our offspring--in other words, children with genetic diversity that increases their chances of survival by ensuring strong immune systems. And we can do that with our noses based on which fragrances we prefer. Cool, huh?

http://beheco.oxfordjournals.org/content/12/2/140.full

An offshoot of the findings showed that there are some scents that are universally more attractive to people. Bergamot and heliotrope ranked highest. Vanilla, neroli, rosewood, and cinnamon were popular, too.

So, I guess mates are supposed to smell different from each other--not men and women, collectively, but individuals.
    Purplebird, glad to see you post! This is true, I am sure, to ensure genetic variation with mates and subsequent offspring. The DH told me he once stopped dating a woman who smelled to much like his mother.

Twolf, lol thanks. ^_^ hug

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danny1967 View Post
    i think they like these smells because they appeal to themselves, very right about that, dead on!
    So what you're both saying is... there are two different forms of compliments.

1. That scent makes me want you now.

2. I want to smell like you.

This has just made me realize something. I've never smelled a woman I wanted to smell like. hmm.
    14 sprays for 1 mL

Love by Kilian
    Shalimar
    Hypnotic Poison

Should any woman wear either of the 3 near me, blood is definitely redirected from my brain....

to elsewhere haha

The one that makes me melt every single time; Flowerbomb. I even bought a bottle just to bring back those "special" memories

Honorable mention: Marc Jacobs Lola, Angel

Blog Entries

That's a lot of votes for Hypnotic Poison.
    14 sprays for 1 mL