Code of Conduct

Question Testers VS. sales products

Hi,
    I am new to this forum, read through some threads and was wondering if somebody could answer me this question, maybe even somebody who works in the industry and knows this?
    Are testers any different than sales products? I have a friend who sells perfumes, I get testers about 10 bucks cheaper than the regular retail product.
    What makes that price difference?
    "Education is an admirable thing. But it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught." O. Wilde

Default Re: Testers VS. sales products

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Are testers any different than sales products? I have a friend who sells perfumes, I get testers about 10 bucks cheaper than the regular retail product.
    What makes that price difference?
    Welcome. If you're talking about the scent itself, I don't think there's any difference at all. As far as a difference in price, testers are often sold without caps and in plain box packaging and even sometimes with no packaging which can account for a lower price. Perhaps others can add more info to this that I'm missing.
    Last edited by hednic; 3rd March 2012 at 07:10 AM.

The scent itself it 100% the same. The only difference is the packaging. Tester often come in a plain white or brown box without a cap in most cases. If you don't care and would like to save a few buck, then grab a tester. But if your a collector and would like a cap and the actual retail packaging then grab a retail one.

Thank you guys! Yeah, the packaging is a bit different and no, I dont care about the bottles really, theyre not highly exclusive ones, just "regulars" like Hermes, Armani, etc. so I doubt there is a need to keep the bottles. But your answers really helped me.
    "Education is an admirable thing. But it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught." O. Wilde

sometimes sellers even get their testers for very little or even free so selling it off at less then retail still makes them plenty of money.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

A tester is seen as a blessing when you're seeking out a discontinued perfume. Ungaro II for example. Scratched on the front, chipped on the top and no cap. But it did come with the plain cardboard tester box LOL.

for swap/sale:

Sometimes Testers have the fragrance's notes listed on the back of the bottle like Hanae Mori HM.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I have picked up a few testers for a good discount. Well worth it if you can find them.