Code of Conduct

Thread: ...

Default ...

Last edited by mugler'sbuble; 9th September 2012 at 02:51 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I've got a budget of $10 per Frag and I can only use ebay, critique my list and give me suggesti

Answer to Question 1: Women's fragrances sometimes employ more overtly floral notes, or stone fruit notes like peach. But most scents are unisex in that it's 2012, and if you like it, wear it. No one will care what gender the brand marketed it to.

Answer to Question 2: See answer to Question 1.

Answer to Question 3: Some would be better to keep on a season-to-season basis. Grey Flannel, for example, works best in fall and winter. I wouldn't advise wearing it in the summer. Cool Water, however, works year-round.

Answer to Question 4: Your body. Or your clothes. Or both.

Default Re: I've got a budget of $10 per Frag and I can only use ebay, critique my list and give me suggesti

http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-Origi.../dp/B000VOHCI8

Fragrances for men and women? After a lot of my discoveries, it seems like marketing is the biggest difference between fragrances for men and women. My Dior Homme comes to mind, it gives of a "feminine" vibe but I enjoy wearing it a lot. Wear what you like, sample what you want.

Yes, a guy can definitely wear a woman's fragrance, have confidence in what you like.

You can definitely wear fragrances year round, it's just some fragrances work better in some seasons. I have Kouros and it shines in summer with it's animallic and honey notes. In winter it loses all of that and becomes very crisp and fresh.

Best spot to spray a fragrance onto is probably your wrists, inner elbows, upper chest, on your neck, behind ear lobes. Experiment and find what works best for you, pulsepoints are your best bet.

I enjoy Cuba Gold as a VERY cheap Le Male substitute. Unbound just wasn't unique enough from my other stuff to justify a spot in my rotation. Haven't tried the other ones you listed As for your questions...

1. Female fragrances tend to have more female like notes such as a floral or powder note. Male fragrances tend to have more male notes like musk and tobacco.

2. Absolutely. There are many fragrances that are considered unisex although usually people believe these fragrances lean one way or the other of the gender spectrum. Tom Ford's Black Orchid is marketed as a female fragrance that many men here wear. I personally thought it was too feminine but other people would disagree with me.

3. Depends on who you ask. It really boils down to personal preference. I personally think some heavier fragrances won't be good in the summer and some lighter fragrances don't have enough projection to get past all the winter layers of clothes. Something heavy like A*Men with it's tar note doesn't sound appealing to me on a 95 degree summer day but some people wear their fragrances regardless of the season.

4. Again a matter of personal preference. I spray on my bare chest, shirt, and back of my neck. The shirt helps with the longevity, having it on my chest helps my body heat "activate" the fragrance throughout the day, and the back of my neck lets any woman who gives me a hug, get a nice whiff of how good I smell

Hope this helps!

Lomani Pour Homme is very good for its price point IMO.

That's a pretty tough price point! Move up to $20 and you can find a lot more good fragrances at places like TJ Maxx, Marshall's and even ebay. A favorite cheapie that is under rated is Carlos Santana. You might win an auction and get if for ten bucks though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carlos-Santa...item4601351594
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Can Basenotes produce t-shirts with the slogan "rape everyone's nostrils"?

Anyway, combining fragrances and ebay sounds so ideal and you're gonna have so much fun! Try looking under liz claibornes. You'll see a lot of Curve variants. I'm looking it up and I see a lot of "curve chill". No idea what that smells like. I also see curve soul, which I used to own and is really quite beautiful. It's smokey, woodsy, unique, it's got sweetness and a cool bamboo note. And while it doesn't have the greatest review on this site, reviews need to be taken out of context. Let's be honest, a lot of people who throw the word synthetic around (myself included) are just being snobbish. Further, it's unfair to review this scent by comparing it to high-end designer scents and certainly to niches. There's another one by claiborne called "spark" that's also really good.

All four of the fragrances you've mentioned aren't particularly great. There are better deals to be had for 10 bucks, surprisingly!

1. Cuba Gold is alright.
    2. Aspen is close, but isn't really pleasant.
    3. I've never tried Lomani.
    4. Unbound is okay, but not my cup of tea.
    5. I've yet to sample a good Avon fragrance (and I've sampled dozens). Even the relatively popular Wild Country smells harshly synthetic even compared to Pinaud Clubman!

As far as your questions:

1. Generally speaking, men's fragrances have more woody notes while women's have more floral notes. Practically speaking, though, there isn't a difference that isn't just marketing.
    2. Hell yes he can if it's good! I wear a few feminines that are fantastic and I get complements on them all the time. My girlfriend wears my masculines pretty often, too.
    3. I like to wear fragrances that remind me of the weather, but I don't stick to it strictly. The general rule is the stronger the fragrance, the less appropriate it is for summer. You can, however, just wear less.
    4. It depends on what you're going for. Generally, if you're looking for projection, you want to stick to warm places where there is a pulse; your stomach, the nape of your neck, inside your elbows and knees, under your ears, and your chest. This will ensure your fragrance projects. Sometimes, however, it's nice to have fragrances on fabric, such as traditional eau de cologne style fragrances, as they will last longer. They won't project as well, however. Another option is to just spray more on clothes than usual. I like to spray Guerlain's Vetiver on both my skin and clothes, so it's really up to you.

I also think you should raise your bar to 20 bucks. There are a very large lot of great fragrances to be had at around that price point.

For really good youthful fragrances:
    Rochas Man
    Dirty English
    Horizon
    Love & Luck
    Voyage
    Bang!
    Penguin
    Colors Benneton

Awesome Classics:
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Quorum
    Halston Z-14(older formulations with oakmoss, not just treemoss, listed in ingredients)
    Jovan Sex Appeal
    Pinaud Clubman
    Zino Davidoff

There are so many more, too!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUBA-Men-Cub...ht_1663wt_1163

start off with this since you dont seem to picky, good variety and well below you budget.

1. Perception and marketing
    2. Yes
    3. Wear them as long as they smell good to you
    4. Experiment and see what works best for you.

The bottom line is that it's all your choice. There are no rules and nobody's going to come arrest you for doing it "wrong." Your choice- isn't it great?

Also, can you combine the budget and buy one or two really good ones?

Why are you guys all lying to the OP about question #2?

2. Can a guy wear a woman's fragrance?
    Everybody knows that if you do that your ding-ding will fall off...
    Last edited by MarkStar; 26th February 2012 at 08:36 AM.
    Mark K

Lomani pour Homme is good. Tabac by Maurer & Wirtz is also good and very cheap.

Please avoid posting live eBay links in this thread.

the midwest: where cows have been outnumbering people since 1817

Those don't seem like some of the high-end frags that are likely to be faked, however, I would just be cautious in general on ebay. You can get good deals from the sales threads here or Crystal Flacon. I feel more confident about the legitimacy of frags when purchasing from a frag community because the community keeps sellers honest. People GO NUTS when they find out there's a counterfeiting trespasser in their midst!

Currently binging on roses.... Jo Malone, you dirty bitch. You too, Stella McCartney.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure of this is helpful at all, but compared to your list, I think the best cheap scents may be available at your neighborhood drug store. Aqua Velva Ice Blue is a fantastic frozen vetiver neroli scent that clearly influenced heavy hitters like Creed's Original Vetiver and Mugler's Cologne. And, if you don't mind smelling a little old-fashioned, Old Spice is one of the all-time greats and can beat the pants off just about any low-end designer scents.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

the midwest: where cows have been outnumbering people since 1817

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Old Spice is one of the all-time greats and can beat the pants off just about any low-end designer scents.
    +1
    i'll hit on a guy wearing old spice EVERY TIME

Currently binging on roses.... Jo Malone, you dirty bitch. You too, Stella McCartney.

Cuba Paris has a lot of fragrances under 10 bucks and there different scents also