Code of Conduct

Default Live Jazz vs Bvlgari Extreme vs Others .

Ok , here we go again , another thread about summer scents .

I need to buy one scent for the upcoming hot weather ( 25 C degrees to 35 C ) . I don't want a sporty fragrance , I'm looking more for a classy-type scent .
    Longevity , Versatility and Sillage are important . I will wear this at school , for going-outs etc. , in rotation with Kouros .
    I tested Extreme about 3 or 4 years ago and as far as I can remember I liked it . Never tested Live Jazz but read the notes + some reviews and that mint combined with grapefruit sounds very fresh .
    Looking at the notes the Extreme seems to be a classy-fresh scent ( due to the tea + grapefruit notes , no ? ) , while Live Jazz looks like more of a sporty-fresh . Does Live Jazz go well with shirt and jeans ?

I'm also looking at Declaration or Roadster .
    What other scents should I try ?
    Currently wearing: Ashes by Franck Boclet

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bϊzios Brasil

Default Re: Live Jazz vs Bvlgari Extreme vs Others .

Live Jazz, Declaration or Roadster are three good ones to consider IMO.

I dislike Live Jazz, even though it's dirt cheap, i would still never recommend it. Ignore the positive reviews and test yourself.

Roadster has a minty opening, but when it dries down is almost exactly like L'Instant Extreme.

Declaration and it's flankers i find sickly and feminine.

[QUOTE=Tropics;2479331]I dislike Live Jazz, even though it's dirt cheap, i would still never recommend it. Ignore the positive reviews and test yourself.

Roadster has a minty opening, but when it dries down is almost exactly like L'Instant Extreme.

+1

I like mint in a fragrance, but in a supporting role..... Most fragrances that contain mint, are usually the "stars" of the show and because mint is a hard note to settle, it takes over everything and gets cloying, theres very few fragrances that contain mint that I like. Test YSL live jazz first, its cheap yes but Id rather save up a few extra bucks to get something decent

These are all made of very light transparent notes with a little freshness, woods, citrus or mint. Some others in addition to Live Jazz, Declaration L' Essence, and Roadster that will be good during summer are:

Geranium Pour Monsieur
    Andree Putman Preparation
    Bulgari Pour Homme Soir
    Kenzo Air
    Aventus
    Ben Sherman
    Absolute Pour le Matin
    Mister Marvelous
    Sunday Cologne
    Voyage d' Hermes
    Concentree d' Orange Verte
    Guerlain Homme L' Eau

these are all light, summery and very well behaved fragrances like those you started with. I would not know how to pick one - they are all good but different from each other too.
    wardrobe now: aqua celestia • santo incienso • guerlain lui • black gemstone • feu secret • pure oud • crystal rock • tenebrae • blood cedar • byredo la botte • pelargonium • sammarco bond-t • luna rossa carbon • zoologist panda • about the duke • baccarat rouge 540 extrait • fan your flames • armani mania

I find live jazz to be the most refreshing fragrance for the hot weather. From the fresh minty opening to the vanille woody base this one keeps you fresh and smelling good for several hours. And the best part is it can be had for a very affordable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I find live jazz to be the most refreshing fragrance for the hot weather. From the fresh minty opening to the vanille woody base this one keeps you fresh and smelling good for several hours. And the best part is it can be had for a very affordable price.
    Agreed. LOVE Live Jazz!

Those are all good fragrances. While I do love Live Jazz, I do not know that it is necessarily what you are after. I think Bulgari Extreme is classy and would work well with jeans and a button-down shirt. As you seem to be interested in Cartier fragrances, I would recommend Eau de Cartier. My only problem with Eau de Cartier is longevity - you may need to reapply to keep the fragrance going into the night. Eau de Cartier is green and fresh...quite lovely. Regardless of which you choose, I hope you enjoy these fragrances as much as I do. Best of luck!

declaration does not have good longevity

live jazz is ridiculously close to the skin, roadster even tho it has mint it is not suitaBle for high heat, ive tried, it gets cloying

your Best options are: edition Blanche, un jardin sur le nil, acqua di parma - essenza di colonia, versace - pour homme, mugler - cologne, lacoste - essentials, guerlain - homme, ysl - l'homme, ysl - pour homme haute concentree, tous in heaven , sean john unforgivaBle, platinum egoiste, dior - dune, drakkar noir

live jazz is ridiculously close to the skin, roadster even tho it has mint it is not suitaBle for high heat, ive tried, it gets cloying

your Best options are: edition Blanche, un jardin sur le nil, acqua di parma - essenza di colonia, versace - pour homme, mugler - cologne, lacoste - essentials, guerlain - homme, ysl - l'homme, ysl - pour homme haute concentree, tous in heaven , sean john unforgivaBle, platinum egoiste, dior - dune, drakkar noir

I would recommend Declaration Cologne for warm weather. The original, a bit cumin-y for the summer IMHO, you'll smell like a taco.

This spring/summer I'll probably be wearing
    Live Jazz
    Terre d'Hermes
    Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir
    Allure Homme Edition Blanche
    Prada Infusion d'Homme
    Aventus
    Adp Colonia
    AdP Colonia Intensa
    Fleur du Male
    Unforgivable
    Kouros
    Nautica Voyage
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Sycomore
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
    I dislike Live Jazz, even though it's dirt cheap, i would still never recommend it. Ignore the positive reviews and test yourself.

Declaration and it's flankers i find sickly and feminine.
    he knows what he's talking about..

bvlgari extreme is my #1 hot weather frag, very crisp, long lasting and classy. l'eau BLEUE d'issey also gives me a similar impression. allure homme edition blanche and egoite platinum are some other classy, hot weather scents IMHO.
    Seasonal favorites :

Winter : The Dreamer & Burberry London
    Spring-Autumn : Bvlgari Pour Homme & Aqua Fahrenheit
    Summer : Bvlgari Aqva & Bvlgari Extreme
    All-Rounders : Prada Man & Bleu de Chanel

From the three, I'd recommend Roadster.

Other than those, I like Edition Blanche, Versace Pour Homme, and Bvlgari Soir for summer months.

Add Oscar by Oscar de la Renta (if you don't mind some nutmeg in the mix). Ridiculously underrated and great in warm weather.

Also, give Cacharel Pour l'Homme a try - great fragrance, and doesn't seem to become cloying in the heat. It always seems to remind me of beaches - not sure why.

Live Jazz is one of my favourites, but it lasts only a few hours on my skin. It's one of the fragrances that I really, really wish were available in EDP.
    Last edited by ryanm; 4th March 2012 at 07:43 AM.

Thanks guys .
    I will try the Live Jazz and the Cartiers today + a few others .

Live Jazz has a gross thick cilantro note that made me sick.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

Fleur du male

Really?

I think this can get cloying even on cold weather.

Potent stuff...

Tried Extreme again and meh , not really what I was looking for . I discovered and tried Prada Infusion D'Homme which is a darn good one if you want a clean , soapy scent , might consider buying it . Tomorrow I will test some Cartiers .

Point is now I got a great deal on Lapidus Pour Homme (1987) , how does this one reacts in hot weather ? I heard it resembles with Kouros which does pretty well in hot temperatures. Is this one stronger , darker , less soapier ?

Quote Originally Posted by neo_angel View Post

Drakkar Noir? I thought this was one of those 80's power house sillage monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Alain27 View Post
    Tried Extreme again and meh , not really what I was looking for . I discovered and tried Prada Infusion D'Homme which is a darn good one if you want a clean , soapy scent , might consider buying it . Tomorrow I will test some Cartiers .

Point is now I got a great deal on Lapidus Pour Homme (1987) , how does this one reacts in hot weather ? I heard it resembles with Kouros which does pretty well in hot temperatures. Is this one stronger , darker , less soapier ?
    If you`r looking for something more classy, you must try Cartier Pasha. As mention above, Chanel Allure homme Edition Blanche is a very classy, fresh, spring and summer scent.

-Please tell us what you decide to!

Since you listed designer frags then I wont go niche

Terre d'Hermes
    Allure Homme Edition Blanche and Homme Sport
    Fleur du Male
    Nautica Voyage
    Cartier Roadster

Dependent

[QUOTE=canuck21;2479376]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
    I like mint in a fragrance, but in a supporting role..... Most fragrances that contain mint, are usually the "stars" of the show and because mint is a hard note to settle, it takes over everything and gets cloying, theres very few fragrances that contain mint that I like. Test YSL live jazz first, its cheap yes but Id rather save up a few extra bucks to get something decent
    I am a huge, and I mean, HUGE mint fan, and I don't agree with "most fragrances that contain mint, are usually the "stars" of the show". I have tried every mint fragrance that I can get my nose on and I have found that most fragrances that contain mint are anything BUT all about the mint. Roadster's mint doesn't last long at all and then you have the woody, a strange woody in my opinion. Live Jazz has a 5 second burst of mint and then it's ALL about the cilantro, I like it, not my favorite, but I appreciate it for what it is. Pasha de Cartier Menthe Fraicheur's mint is barely detectible, and Geranium Pour Monsieur has a great mint for about 30-60 minutes that takes a background roll to the geranium...I really like this fragrance, even though some call it mouthwash, but it really is a great fragrance, but STILL not about the mint. I have tried many others that "claim" to have mint in them and maybe that mint is what brings out the other scents, but it is FAR from being a "star". That said, there are SOME mint fragrances that are all about the mint, the best, in my opinion, is Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca-This puppy is awesome, if you want a fragrance all about mint. This is the fresh green mint leaf herbal mint that is stellar!! I can't get enough of this fragrance-true the longevity isn't the best, but I love reapplying it, so that doesn't bother me in the slightest. Many say that Guerlain's Aqua Allegorie Mentafollia is all about the mint, but, even though I do get a lot of mint and it is a major player throughout the life of the fragrance, I still don't think it's all about the mint, I think it's more floral than anything. I really do like it, that being said. And, I just picked up Lacoste Booster today for 10 bucks at Burlington Coat Factory...I had heard it was minty and I thought that for 10 bucks I couldn't go wrong. A LOT of people here DO NOT like Booster, but, I also think that A LOT of people do not like mint as a note in fragrances. Personally, I think it's a great scent. It's a minty-soapy fragrance. In my opinion, the mint and the soapiness are both equally balanced. It's quite a minty fragrance and I think it's awesome and refreshing, MUCH more refreshing than Live Jazz. I think that the Cilantro in the Live Jazz is a hard note, it's refreshing and heavy at the same time. I find that in order for me to handle Live Jazz, I have to layer it with something else to sweeten it up a bit, it is a bit sharp and sour-I actually like to layer it with my wife's Jo Malone Orange Blossom-it's actually a pretty awesome combo. OK, enough said...sorry that I rambled, I have just discovered that almost all of the "minty" frags that are suggested on this site are barely minty at all. My next quest is Jacques Fath's Green Water...I hear it's pretty minty, but I won't get my hopes and expectations too high. Anybody had any experience with it that can give it to me straight? Thanks, and I really don't mean any offense by my comments, just had to give my two cents on mint. Ok, I'm really done now.