Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Most underrated and least talked about Men's Fragrances ever...

Had to start a thread on this...I just think there are so many run of the mill fragrances which have received so much attention and dozens of reviews on youtube, yet there are some great 'sleepers' out there which hardly get a mention.

Polo Modern Reserve - simply a masterpiece in my view yet only 2 reviews on youtube and 49 reviews on basenotes

Uomo? by Mochino - again a great fragrance in my opinion, yet only 1 review on youtube and only 36 reviews on basenotes

Versace Black Jeans - I've got several back-up bottles of the stuff! Only 2 reviews om youtube and only 44 on basenotes.

Do any of you have any personal favourites which you feel get little mention? If so, I'd like to hear them.

GG.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Most underrated and least talked about Men's Fragrances ever...

La Perla Touch is a nice one, but nobody ever mentions it. cinnamon amber woods and spices. it's respected and known in Italy, but no one else talks about it much. should be popular.

Héros by Didier Calvo is another nice one IMO refreshing and spicy - hardly talked about.

Zen for Men by Shiseido

Phileas. Maybe not so underrated but surely not much talked. Mark Birley For Men is another...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by Giannino View Post
    Had to start a thread on this...I just think there are so many run of the mill fragrances which have received so much attention and dozens of reviews on youtube, yet there are some great 'sleepers' out there which hardly get a mention.

Polo Modern Reserve - simply a masterpiece in my view yet only 2 reviews on youtube and 49 reviews on basenotes

Uomo? by Mochino - again a great fragrance in my opinion, yet only 1 review on youtube and only 36 reviews on basenotes

Versace Black Jeans - I've got several back-up bottles of the stuff! Only 2 reviews om youtube and only 44 on basenotes.

Do any of you have any personal favourites which you feel get little mention? If so, I'd like to hear them.

GG.
    I agree with these 3 for sure!!! And Welcome to Basenotes!!!
    Gary

Acqua di Gio by Giorgio Armani - Amazing fragrance that hasn't really gotten too much exposure. Is this even sold in the US?
    Current top 3:
    1) Gucci Pour Homme II
    2) Givenchy Play Intense
    3) Dolce & Gabbana The One

Dependent

Just want to point out that anything over 20 reviews is a relatively well known fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean44 View Post
    Acqua di Gio by Giorgio Armani - Amazing fragrance that hasn't really gotten too much exposure. Is this even sold in the US?
    Never heard of it, but here's some pretty underrated ones that don't get much talk on here:

Aventus
    Green Irish Tweed
    Millesime Imperial
    Pure Malt
    Dior Homme Intense
    Tobacco Vanille
    L'Instant De Guerlain Extreme
    Spicebomb
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Must de Cartier Pour Homme; the original, L'Essence and Vert Anis.

Quote Originally Posted by autumngleeman View Post
    La Perla Touch is a nice one, but nobody ever mentions it. cinnamon amber woods and spices. it's respected and known in Italy, but no one else talks about it much. should be popular.
    Interesting....I read some more about it, sounds almost like Le 3' Homme de Caron. I may have to track some down.

I wonder if some people might want to keep their hidden treasures to themselves, so they don't get worn by everyone! : ) I personally don't have any except maybe Chene.

The whole Lorenzo Villoresi line.
    The Nouvelle line from Miller Harris. Especially Fleurs de Sel.

for swap/sale:

Lolita lempicka Au Masculin and Cartier Declaration are both underrated.

Yes they do get talked about BUT imo not enough.

I think Kiton Napoli is a bit of a hidden treasure. Of course a big part of the reason it's not talked about much is that it's so hard to find. But still, it's very good.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

I think most of my very most favorites are talked about at least fairly often on here, and even the more obscure ones do get mentioned from time to time.

Givenchy Gentleman is probably one of the most underrated, but it's totally my cup of tea and I can see other people finding it unwearable. It is a very dark and spooky approach to the soil aspect of patchouli. It's the smell of an ancient leather-bound book in an old stained wood box unearthed from a tomb. Gorgeous and macabre as hell.

L'Ame d'un Heros.

It generally gets shrugged off as a more accessible Coriolan, but after a year of wearing it and also comparing it extensively with it's sibling Chamade Pour Homme, I have concluded that it is it's own man. The juniper gives it a lift that is great, bracing but not slap in the face, and if you are happy to splash it a bit (rather than obsessing over how many micro-mls you use) it sticks around well into the day. Great outdoors scent, BTW - I wore it last Spring when I was traipsing round tea plantations at Lake Dong Qian and it will forever be associated with that time and place for me. You can get it in the new wooden framed bottle now, the Bee Bottle version has pretty well disappeared.

PS

Granville.

It has a big thread here so it isn't actually invisible, but Dior have done a hell of a good job at making sure it's virtually impossible to find. This is the new men's classic - almost too good to be true. Despite the exclusive line status it's only about USD 1.20 per ml in the 125ml bottle and the price drops when you go to 250 & 500ml.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 4th March 2012 at 04:04 AM.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by My_pep_pep View Post
    Interesting....I read some more about it, sounds almost like Le 3' Homme de Caron. I may have to track some down.

I wonder if some people might want to keep their hidden treasures to themselves, so they don't get worn by everyone! : ) I personally don't have any except maybe Chene.
    somewhat embarrassed to admit this, but I have never tried the third man by caron, so I couldn't say. Touch smells great though; I have a hard time imagining someone not liking it, unless Amber isn't their thing or something. I like the cinnamon note the most. and speaking for myself, usually I'm happy to talk about whatever...but occasionally, it occurs to me not to mention something (until after I buy that one rare bottle of discontinued juice) because I wouldn't want to tip someone off to go search and find the bottle I'm thinking of buying on ebay before I have a chance to get it first. Not gonna talk about it until after it's in my hands lol. But only then.
    Last edited by autumngleeman; 4th March 2012 at 03:59 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Azzaro Acteur. Needs some recognition round these parts.

Feraud Pour Homme.

Although it was awarded a Fifi by the noses in the know upon its release in 1985, it never found an audience because a) it was an Avon scent and b) it was ahead of its time.

Hard to catagorize since it has elements of several genres.

Can still find vintage bottles on Ebay.

Roja Dove range of fragrances. Probably down to their exclusivity and been hard to obtain.

Hard to say, since mass-market, designer and niche alike have their unsung "dark horse characters", which get little praise or even attention, though they usually combine quality ingredients, great value for money, surprisingly complex and non-generic accords of diversified notes, right down to -in some cases, at least - good or great bottle designs

Some of the frags more or less qualifying for this category (though not so much on Basenotes, far more in a largely non-fragrance related and/or non-fragrance buff outside world) may include, in a totally subjective, non-exhaustive, non-judgmental and non-ranking list, among, many, many others: YSL pour Homme, Very Valentino, Trussardi Uomo, most scents by Carthusia, Joint by Roccobarocco, Minotaure by Paloma Picasso, Dior Dune, Rocabar and Voyage by Hermes, Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme, Davidoff Relax, Joop What About Adam, Hoggar, Eau de Vetyver and Transat by Yves Rocher, Eternity by CK, Knize Forest, Boss Elements, Venezia Uomo, Aramis pour Homme (huge by its release year back in 1965, but largely unnoticed today), Monsieur de Givenchy, Chanel PM Concentree, Boucheron pour Homme, Horizon by Guy Laroche, Eau de Rochas, Alt Innsbruck, Cartier Declaration l'Essence and Pasha, most scents by Crabtree & Evelyn, Fendi Theorma Uomo, Francesco Smalto PH, YSL Rive Gauche Intense and Opium Eau d'Orient, Chopard Vetyver Noble, Lanvin Vetyver, Ungaro II, most scents by Rance. Most or all of the aforementioned have something like "masterpiece material" and even if not all of them may be considered masterpieces, most of them consistently stand out with a touch of individualism, whether this individualism may be elegant, creative, even palatable or not (to me, it happens to be so, but that's strictly my personal opinion).

MCM Twenty Four Evening

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Héros by Didier Calvo is another nice one IMO refreshing and spicy - hardly talked about.
    I love it. You always have scents I've never even heard of, can you give us a 5-10 more? I'm always interested in trying, and learning about something that's not talked about much.
    Last edited by thebeck; 4th March 2012 at 03:19 PM.

Really? I would have though 20 reviews was neither here nor there personally.

Must and Pasha by Cartier, agreed;
    Esencia by Loewe;
    Gentleman by Givenchy, agreed;
    Egoïste (original) by Chanel is well rated in here, but not elsewhere;
    any L'Occitane in male range;
    limited edition (like Guerlain Homme pure parfum, or most JPG) in general;
    Voyage (unisex) by Hermès.

Here's one I really enjoy.

Bell' Antonio by Hilde Soliani - Tobacco and dark roasted coffee

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...7;Antonio.html

...from my collection:

1. Beyond Paradise for Men
    2. Must de Cartier pour Homme
    3. L'Essence de Must de Cartier pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post

26122050.jpg

bottle reminds me of....

26120972.jpg
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Lapidus Pour Lui
    Essenza di Zegna

I happen to love gs02, but I've never seen it discussed or rated well. It's funny how you can really engage in a scent in a way no one else does. I'm very attached to this one.

Alberto Morillas' Bvlgari Man. A beautiful woody musk. Not a thrill ride of exotic notes, but a great office scent.

I think Dior Homme Sport deserves less bashing than it seems to get around here, and Escada Magnetism is pretty good, but I never really hear it mentioned.

Eau de Gloire - Parfum d'Empire
    Querelle - Parfumerie Generale
    Fumidus, Thundra, & Arso - Profumum

... and my current favorite cheapies: Kiss Him and Carlo Corinto.

Carolina Herrera Chic for Men (probably reformulated lately - on the forum its longevity is bashed but on my skin it stays for quite a long time; 4 of my co-workers tried it as well and also got very good longevity, 8hrs +)

Calvin Klein Ck One Shock Men (probably their only good masculine release in last 20 years)

Cartier line

Cerruti line

Dsquared line

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post

Good one!

Oscar by Oscar de la Renta - far more than the aquatic it is incorrectly labelled as.

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    I agree with these 3 for sure!!! And Welcome to Basenotes!!!
    Gary
    Thanks. I probably should have added Prada Amber Intense. Great warm, sensual fragrance (ideal for winter) which gets very little attention. It's not even on basenotes, anyone know why?

From my own wardrobe, those I think deserve more kudos :

1. Agua Fresca (Adolfo Dominguez) - great take on lime
    2. Angel Schlesser Pour Homme (Angel Schlesser)
    3. Anthracite (Jacomo)
    4. L'eau Bleue D'Issey (Issey Miyake)
    5. Lanvin L'Homme Sport (Lanvin) - not your usual Sport scent
    6. Xeryus Rouge (Givenchy) - never gets old

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    Lol.
    Have never seen one word written about any of these

Was off course replying to this one:
    Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Never heard of it, but here's some pretty underrated ones that don't get much talk on here:

Aventus
    Green Irish Tweed
    Millesime Imperial
    Pure Malt
    Dior Homme Intense
    Tobacco Vanille
    L'Instant De Guerlain Extreme
    Spicebomb

Quote Originally Posted by anders View Post
    Have never seen one word written about any of these
    Haha

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I am in agreement on the Bvlgari Man. I also have not seen much mention of Gucci Nobile. I've found very few threads about this and only 44 reviews, minus mine, seems quite few for such a wonderful fragrance even if it has been gone for over a decade.

Definitely agree with Fumidus, and I'd like to add Victrix - in my opinion it's Profumum's best. Coniferous vetiver with peppercorn and citrus-floral blend... gorgeous scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post

Banned

Fleurs de Sel by Miller Harris - Initially, one is pleasantly immersed in an herbal deluge of red thyme, with its camphoraceous and woody facets, rosemary, with its linalool and coniferous aspects as well as clary sage, with its dry greenness and salty character. This remarkable accord conjures a parched, salt marshland, and meanders to the awaiting middle. Here, in the majestic heart, free-spirited wildflowers are added to the mix with the rich, floral elegance of narcissus, the spiciness of rugosa rose, as well as the stateliness of iris. The revised melange takes on a seaside splendor. Magical ambrette, with its fruity and oily, inoffensive muskiness supplies a benign undertone. Transitioning to the waiting base, a refreshing medley of relaxed and aged driftwood, luxurious and scented suede, smoky and green oakmoss as well as dry and salty vetiver, coaxes to the alluring drydown. This bewitching composition is basically a skin scent, with average longevity, but is nonetheless singular.

Valentino Vendetta
    Mariella Burani , Messages De Homme
    Missoni Uomo
    Moschino Pour Homme
    Enrico Sebastiano

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=mesaboogie;2479540]Never heard of it, but here's some pretty underrated ones that don't get much talk on here:

I will have to check this one out.....also I heard something about a fragrance called egoiste : )
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

Paul Smith Extreme Man
    Carolina Herrera 212 Men

Definitely agree with this one, a bargain as well.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Cannabis Santal from Fresh
    Hesperides from Fresh
    V Pour Homme from Valentino

Glad to see Cartier Must getting some love - one of my favorites!

A few others:
    Giorgio Beverly Hills VIP
    Maxims PH
    Lowe Escencia
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    Yeah. Nobile is a discontinued masterpiece. I think few BNters had the chance to try it!
    That's how it qualifies for my Hall of Fame. A great fragrance that I have personally worn and loved that has been discontinued for some time qualifies, kind of like the Halls of Fame for most professional sports in the US. Had always included Giorgio for Men but since it's return I'm having an internal debate about this.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

GG.
    I do agree with Black Jeans it was the best of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean44 View Post
    You have to be kidding right, Armani AdG!!!

What about Alfred Sung Paradise?

Jean Paul Gaultier's Le Male is pretty good stuff. I'm sure it'll take off and become a top seller soon.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Uomo? by Moscino
    Jil Sander Men
    Eau de Cartier Concentrée
    YSL Homme Concentrée
    Arran Bay Citrus Men
    Mont Blanc Individuel
    Azzaro Acteur
    Ungaro III
    Azzaro Onyx
    Boss Elements Aqua
    Klein Eternity Aqua
    Givenchy Xeryus
    Polo Modern Reserve
    Guy Laroche Horizon
    Lanvin L'Homme Sport
    Polo Safari
    Polo Explorer
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit 32
    Last edited by CHSeifert; 7th March 2012 at 05:26 AM.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    Also A*Men, Pure Malt, Dior Homme Intnse, L'Istant De Guerlain, Tobacco Vanille Tom Ford, Aventus, GIT & Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle......................
    Are those all new releases or something? Couldn't find much when I searched the Basenotes directory.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Are those all new releases or something? Couldn't find much when I searched the Basenotes directory.
    Just edited my post, when I saw another guy made the same fun of the first post I quoted
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Bond No. 9 Hamptons
    Tom Ford Arabian Wood

Ambré by Baldessarini
    Citrus and Wood by Yardley
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

Quote Originally Posted by _Enigma_ View Post
    Ambré by Baldessarini
    Citrus and Wood by Yardley
    Forgot that one, that one is most definitely a hidden gem for the price !!!
    Boss Bottled with a whisky note instead of the Apple note.......
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    Uomo? by Moscino
    Jil Sander Men
    Eau de Cartier Concentrée
    YSL Homme Concentrée
    Arran Bay Citrus Men
    Mont Blanc Individuel
    Azzaro Acteur
    Ungaro III
    Azzaro Onyx
    Boss Elements Aqua
    Klein Eternity Aqua
    Givenchy Xeryus
    Polo Modern Reserve
    Guy Laroche Horizon
    Lanvin L'Homme Sport
    Polo Safari
    Polo Explorer
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit 32
    Nice list. I see you've put Mochino Uomo on top? Even nicer list :-)