Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What We Wore as teenagers?

Inspired by the Lentheric thread what did you wear as a teen?

Pocket money scent was Prince Machiabelli Cachet and J'ai Ose. Both chypres I believe. Also Fidgi was my preference to spray at the counter.

First real grown up scent from my first pay packet Jicky! No one I knew wore it but I loved it's mixed messages of soap (lavender) and sex (amber)

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: What We Wore as teenagers?

Fun topic!

As a teen in the 1970s I wore Charlie, Coty Wild Musk, Bonne Bell Skin Musk, and Avon Sweet Honesty.

Among the first scents I bought with my own paychecks were Private Collection, Cinnabar, and Ivoire.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Coty Wild Musk oil
    Cachet
    Aqua Manda(I now hate the smell of orange)
    Rochas Femme
    DONNA

As a teen in the 90s I wore a lot of perfumes. Memorable ones:
    Fahrenheit
    Bvlgari Black
    Some Cartiers
    A few Serge Lutens
    Many Micallefs
    Some Diptyques
    Sculpture

for swap/sale:

My first perfume purchase as a teenager was Charlie. I was an Avon Rep at 14 so I would wear Timeless, Moonwind and Occur!

I remember borrowing my mum's L'Air du Temps around this time.

Then, I was then bought Rive Gauche by my boyfriend's mum. She would pop one in my Christmas stocking each year, for years!
    This was the perfume that took me from my teens into my twenties. I sampled it, for old times sake, in store recently; it was quite a different perfume.

I remember wearing Tramp and Rebel as a young teen, also pinching my sister's Charlie and Cachet. Also loads of Avon stuff but the names escape me. I also wore Yardley Lace when a bit older (a gift from one of my school friends) and Le Jardin by Max Factor. First proper scents I wore, I guess when I was around 18-19, were Nina Ricci's Fleur de Fleurs and L'Air du Temps. After that Vanderbilt was a staple for a while.

I have a sneaky feeling that some of these 'pocket money' scents from the 70s would pass muster as something special today.

Others I remember are Revlon Moon Drops, Dana Tabu (my word that had SILLAGE) and something by Max Factor that was loud but lovely. Must go look it up

BRB....

Pant pant back from my run round the www and I seem to have been thinking of Blasé which all the popular girls wore in profusion. My memory tells me I liked it but knew it wasn't for me. Same with Tabu.

I certainly wasn't one of the sexy popular girls. Too busy with the horses and canines at that age
    Last edited by Alityke; 4th March 2012 at 02:18 PM.

Jade East - There weren't that many choises back in the 60's.

Salvador Dali pour Homme (when I was 14, my first designer scent ever), Adidas Classic/Classic Blue, Adidas Dynamic/Dynamic Pulse, Oriflame New Spirit, Boss Bottled, Drakkar Noir, Hugo Dark Blue, Paco Energy

Pasha de Cartier for a couple of years (3 bottles).
    Last edited by Larimar; 4th March 2012 at 03:32 PM.

Tommy Hilfiger True Star
    Paris Hilton for Men
    Curve Crush
    Aramani Diamonds
    Gucci by Gucci
    Rocawear IX 9
    Swiss Army Altitude
    Lacoste Essentials
    Usher VIP
    Ralph Lauren Romance Silver
    Perry Ellis 360 Red
    Chanel Platinum
    Versace the Dreamer
    Bleu de Chanel
    Benetton Sport

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    As a teen in the 90s I wore a lot of perfumes. Memorable ones:
    Fahrenheit
    Bvlgari Black
    Some Cartiers
    A few Serge Lutens
    Many Micallefs
    Some Diptyques
    Sculpture
    Hedonist, you are a young'un! And - you had a great selection of perfumes too...

My mom had Nina Ricci L'air Du Temps which was awful on me, but I still wore it some of the time. Then, Charisma by Avon ( my best friend wore Sweet Honesty and yes we were Avon reps, just to get the "stuff", we never made a dime...) From there, Ultima II, Lauder Youth Dew in my early twenties. ( then I went to Cinnabar and Opium, quite the progression on the same theme.. until not long after when I really branched out )

I'm 19 now. Still considered a teenager right? I wear Mitsouko and no.19. When I was 12, it was a Body Shop perfume oil called tea rose.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicieux Rose View Post
    I'm 19 now. Still considered a teenager right? I wear Mitsouko and no.19. When I was 12, it was a Body Shop perfume oil called tea rose.
    Good work VR I think my Jicky was bought at 17 certainly with my first full salary cheque.

Welcome to Basenotes. You're wearing excellent frags now I can only imagine what you'll branch out into with the education in scents some of the erudite and knowledgable contributors to this forum make available. I envy you

Quote Originally Posted by IngaMi View Post
    Hedonist, you are a young'un! And - you had a great selection of perfumes too...
    Yes Ma'am - voice breaking - lol

I was lucky my parents enjoy perfumes. The majority of niche was theirs.

for swap/sale:

Love's Lemon, Love's Jasmin and some other Love's scents (Earth Musk, or Woodsy Earth, something like that; Rain Scent)
    Coty Sweet Earth oils and compact solid fragrances
    Musk oil (we used to be able to get good ones)
    Charlie
    Old Spice for women that my mother got in a gift bag at a party.
    Givenchy Gentleman (bought that one for myself)
    Chaps (or was it Chaz? Another gift bag freebie)
    Chamade (gift)
    Miss Dior (my choice)
    No. 19 (my mother selected this for me)
    White Shoulders (gift)
    L'Air du Temps (gift)

That's all I can think of atm.

Adding: How on earth can I have forgotten Perfumers Workshop Tea Rose??? Talk about clearing a room, it was a real love/hate frag. I also remember falling in love with my mother's Diorella. She had a big splash bottle and I would "borrow" some. I forgot Jontue and Anais Anais, Ma Griffe (bought it for myself as a souvenir from dutyfree shop in the Caribbean), Fidji.

Looking back, it seems like I had pretty sophisticated taste in fragrances but it was just that, as someone says below, the fragrance industry didn't really target the youth market except for Love's and some of those. Fine fragrances were not targeted to teens. Now that we have that sweet desserty (youth) genre of fragrances, I find I really enjoy some of them - even though I'm in my 50s.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 5th March 2012 at 02:06 PM.

Love's Baby Soft
    Babe
    Jontue
    Wild Musk
    Charlie
    Scoundrel
    Aviance Night Musk
    Avon Firefox
    Jovan Whisper of Musk
    Skin Musk
    Chanel No. 5
    Oscar de la Renta, my dad used to buy this for me every Christmas
    Lou Lou
    Cinnabar
    Eternity, I was in my early 20's when I bought this.

I really liked musky frags at that time. I still do.

mostly stole from mom:

l'Air du Temps
    Chanel 5
    Rive Gauche
    Lauren
    Charlie
    Tatiana
    White Shoulders
    Opium
    Halston

happy is the bleu heart<3

I remember wearing: Sweet Honesty, Heaven Sent, Jovan Musk, Bonnie Bell Musk, Love's Baby Soft, Replique.

There was a little store popular with my friends that sold perfume oils called Body Bazaar. My two favorite body oils from there were Blue Grass (which smelled nothing like the E Arden version) and Lady Earth, which was a wonderful blend of strawberry and patchouli. I sure wish I had some of that today!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

hehe great topic!
    The Lentheric oldies, Joie de Vivre, Finesse, Mystique and Style were my favourites that I could afford from my weekend job. There was also a $10 Poison dupe I loved. Xia Xiang, Unforgettable and Jontue by Revlon as I got older, then Cabotine. Once I sneaked some of my Mums Coty Wild Musk Oil- boy, that stuff used to have amazing punchiness to it. I recently acquired a bottle of it and it was nowhere near as strong as the old stuff.

I was a teenager in the 80's and used to go crazy for Krizia Uomo, Cacharel Pour Homme, Azarro Pour Homme and, later, Fendi Uomo. I also remember that I went through a sort of obsessive phase in which I was wearing only Drakkar Noir. I used to literally bath in it and my father was anything but happy about it. He once came to me and said: "Me and your mother are getting sick of your fragrance. If you get rid of that bottle I'll give you as much money as you want to buy a new cologne". I got Antaeus

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

I remember having one of those black velvet cats by Max Factor with a little vial of Hypnotique in high school but I think it was a gift- don't remember what it smelled like. Also had a bottle of Friendship Garden (from my Aunt, I think). Not much focus on spending for frivolities such as perfume in my family.
    My first perfume bought at 16 with the money I earned from my first job at Dunkin Donuts was the original Zen by Shiseido. I loved the scent AND the bottle. I think I got Love's Baby Soft around age 18- 19.
    The perfume fan really only came out after the morose teen years.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I loved perfume even as a little girl and frequently received it as gifts through the years, so I had a pretty good selection by the time I was a teenager, from Avon to drugstore to designer. Actually, if it's still in production, or even if it's not but I can still find it, I still wear a lot of the same stuff now.

Here are some that come to mind -

K de Krizia
    Infini
    Calvin Klein
    Rive Gauche
    Chamade
    Charles of the Ritz
    Ciara
    Occur
    Topaze
    Babe
    Halston
    Lauren
    Chloé
    Vent Vert
    Cie
    (y'all remember this one? Candice Bergen was the face of Cie.)
    Loulou
    Valentino
    Liz Claiborne
    Galanos
    Diva
    Emeraude
    Detchema
    Pavlova
    First
    Quartz
    Chanel No. 19

And whatever my perfumista mom had on her vanity ...Chanel No5, No22 and Bois des Iles, Azuree, Arpege, L'Air du Temps, Blue Grass, Je Reviens, Le Dix, Miss Dior, Bal a Versailles, L'Heure Bleue, Private Collection, Youth Dew, etc, etc.

I really wasn't overly rigid in my perfume tastes - I liked to at least try everything I came across. It's odd now to think of a fifteen yr. old in something like Diva, but it never crossed my mind that it might be too mature. This wasn't unusual either - in the pre-Britney/Mariah/Pink Sugar '80s, lots of teens were wearing Opium and Giorgio right along with their mothers and grandmothers.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I was a teen during the 80's and wore mainly Antaeus and Santos (although I went through the odd bottle of Kouros too). I also wore Drakkar Noir, Habit Rouge, Obsession, Salvador Dali, Givenchy Gentleman, Eau Savage Extreme and others I can't remember right now. People used a lot of fragrance back then.

Oh yeah - Obsession. Good one, tott! I had that deep golden glittery gel - remember that? Everything started getting really sparkly in the 80s, lol!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I wore damn little. A few dates wearing Aqua Velva and maybe a few times Old Spice. Mostly I smelled of Mennon Underarm stuff and Dial Soap if I recall. Nice, eh?
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Jovan Musk Oil for Men and Halston Z-14!!!
    Gary

Mum selflessly gave me her bottle of Nina Ricci Deci Dela when I was 14, its her favourite and its one of mine. She also gave me lots of minis around the same time (i still have them all which is great as they are the vintage formulations): opium, champagne (now yvresse), Paris, rive guache, givenchy organza, diva. When i was 18 YSL baby doll was my signature scent for a couple of years. I was around 21/22 when perfume mania set in. I now have enough perfume to last me till the end of my days I'm pretty sure. I doubt that will stop me from buying more however...

You are all so fancy!

I wore the typical fruity, juice-like fragrances; Ralph and Tommy Girl. Gifts from my parents, as I had no taste in perfume at that age.

The first perfume I bought myself with my pocket money was Aqua Manda - how I wish
    I could sniff a bottle of that now!
    I then bought Mary Quant's Havoc, Anais Anais and Diorissimo.
    My 21st birthday brought me Mitsouko and Jicky and I never looked back.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

In the early teens ( maybe 12 ) I remember I wore a very cheap perfume/cologne spray called Date. I also got a bottle of Laura Ashley no 1 for christmas at that time, so wore that too. Not on a regular basis, because I was very selfconcious about it that the time. At the age of 15 I went to France with my frenchclass and bought Chanel #5. I ended up not wearing it that much,though. It was probably too many choices in the perfumeshop, so I was probably a bit overwhelmed. I must have ended up with the most obvious scent ( to me at least) after a trip to France :P I then moved over to Aqua di gio. I wore that until teh age of 20....something. At the same periode ( around 15-16) I also wore Ck One and J'adore. I wore J'adore for a few yeras too. At the age of 20 I bought Shalimar after a trip to South Africa. I still wear it and it's the same bottle too!

this is a fun thread, we have a lot in common...
    Blue Grass
    L'Air du Temps
    Anais Anais
    Je Reviens (mom's)
    Musk oil
    Chanel no. 19
    Love's Baby Soft
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I always had one bottle - just because you were supposed to I didn't really wear much though.

Lauren with matching body powder
    Chloe with matching body powder
    Poison (I think - I remember a purple bottle, which is probably why I bought it)
    CK One to close out my teens

Quote Originally Posted by nimeril~ View Post
    You are all so fancy!

I wore the typical fruity, juice-like fragrances; Ralph and Tommy Girl. Gifts from my parents, as I had no taste in perfume at that age.
    Things changed very quickly in the 90/2000's with the advent of the "Yoof" market in perfumery along with many other areas. In the 70's we only had the scents on the shelves in our local Boot s Chemist or Department store if your toen had one. Hence the lists of more grown up scents we wore as teens

Oh many, many, many of those listed above! Kewart, a special nod to Aqua Manda! I was a teenager in the late seventies. We went through a phase where all the girls wore Brut. We also used a lot of oils then, musk, patchouli, one called rose musk which I loved, and sandalwood (yikes - we didn't know!). When the Body Shop first appeared my friend and I were really into their Vetiver Oil. We doused ourselves in it. Honestly we must have left small children crying and dogs whimpering when we walked past!

You guys are all making me feel inapt -- until 19 (late 80s) I did not wear anything. Perfume was an unreachable luxury, mom had Fiji and Magie Noire strictly guarded and protected from the beasts (Young Wolves, who broke her Magie Noire dropping it on the bathroom tile floor, just wanted to sniff it). No other stories here, sorry, but I enjoy reading yours.

I remember wearing Charlie, Tabu, Cachet, Enjoli Midnight, Arpege.

It makes me feel good to see that other people wore:
    COTY WILD MUSK Oil
    This was my signature scent. The musks used to be much stronger then.
    My parents also got me Chanel No. 5 EDT and an Egyptian knockoff of Opium.
    I had Chantilly Lace, but it was too powdery. Also I had a sample of Eau de Monsieur Balmain that was heavenly, but I didn't know it was alright to wear a man's fragrance. Funny!

Nothing really other than Poision . Late teens, Guess perfume, Beautiful and EL Tuscany Per Donna was definitely a fave. I love Tuscany still!
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Early 80's - anais anais and jovan musk
    Late 80s - georgio and Paloma picasso

I was a teen in the 80's. I only wore what I was given, and I wasn't really into scents. I had Charlie, which I remember hating. I actually used it to kill spiders. I liked Jean Nate, and when I left for college, the only frag in my possession was Obsession (hey, that rhymes!)

My threshold drug into this world of fragrance addiction was Casaque by Jean d'Albret. Had it in everything from bath products to pure parfum, saved my lunch money to buy it (seriously).

Some other notables were:

Eau de Love - this would be a niche scent now, very mossy and full of the stuff that should have killed me before reaching my full growth.

Bigarade by Nina Ricci - a dry, powdery citrus frag, light enough to marinate in.

Eau Fraiche by Weil - an unusual eau fraiche, more floral than it was citrus.

L by Lubin (original version) - I can see those bottles made of apricot-colored glass now. The first fragrance that made me realize how just how I could incapacitate my prey. With a swipe of my paw and a dab on the wrist.

Green Water by Jacques Fath (original version) - the fact that this was a "male" frag never fazed me.

There were others, but that's enough walking down memory lane for the time being.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 6th March 2012 at 04:54 PM.

Aqua Velva and Brut 33.

And I'm not even THAT old!

My very first perfume was called Audacity, and was a present from my grandmother for my 7th birthday! She liked California Poppy, so I also snuck some dabs of that whenever we stayed with her.
    I was really lucky - as a teenager I used to travel to London at weekends and haunted the Harrods perfumery, where I sprayed endless amounts of Chanel No 5, Moment Supreme, Vol de Nuit and 1000. These scents represented beauty and quality to me. I didn't care for the ones I could actually afford, but my father gave me a bottle of Chanel No 5 for my 17th birthday, and then I saved up to buy Ma Griffe.
    Used to also borrow my mother's treasured remains of Coty Chypre and my aunt's Tapestry (Mary Chess). Guess that started me off on scent appreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by redrose View Post
    My very first perfume was called Audacity, and was a present from my grandmother for my 7th birthday! She liked California Poppy, so I also snuck some dabs of that whenever we stayed with her.
    I was really lucky - as a teenager I used to travel to London at weekends and haunted the Harrods perfumery, where I sprayed endless amounts of Chanel No 5, Moment Supreme, Vol de Nuit and 1000. These scents represented beauty and quality to me. I didn't care for the ones I could actually afford, but my father gave me a bottle of Chanel No 5 for my 17th birthday, and then I saved up to buy Ma Griffe.
    Used to also borrow my mother's treasured remains of Coty Chypre and my aunt's Tapestry (Mary Chess). Guess that started me off on scent appreciation.
    Gorgeous response! Should we start one about when we were children? I have no doubt that it has been done before but maybe there is room for a new one. I'll do it.

I was a teenager in the 70's. I remember wearing Cachet and Chantilly, my mother's Emeraude and Toujour Moi and my favorite Vanilla Musk. My first grown up fragrance (Shalimar) didn't come until I was 23. My grandmother recognized it on me and told me that she had worn it when she was young. I hadn't realized it was *that* old until then, heh.

Longing and Tresor.

White Shoulders
    Muguet des Bois
    Sweet Honesty (Avon)
    Jean Nate
    Charlie

I'd like to smell them all again, but not wear them.... ...except... maybe I could still enjoy Charlie. ;-) Just thinking about it makes me want to run to the drugstore and buy a bottle of it!

I'm ushering the other teenage thread back to here where it belongs

I've just felt compelled to buy Charlie for this teenage thread reason and happy to share with ex charlie-ites

You're very nice, mumsy.

I was a teenager in the early to mid 80s and I wore:

Anais Anais
    Cristalle
    (still wear it)
    Givenchy III
    Paris
    Lauren
    Ciara
    Halston

White Linen
    Ivoire
    Oscar de la Renta
    Last edited by turquoisewater; 14th March 2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: remebered more

The old bottle of Charlie arrived in the post this morning....

I had to close my eyes whilst my teenage son sprayed my arm whilst laughing at me. We stood and we waited for the awful stench of sickly sweetness.......
    ....and it didn't happen. It was rather nice. A bit stale at first whiff, but that soon passed, but the old familiar smell was there still. A floral chypre with that slightly at odds sharp herbal tarragon note, honeyed, slightly spicy floral. Much less sweet at the beginning than I remembered. What a surprise.

I was quite pleased with it, so Duc gets the last laugh on me...

I will share if you want a blast from the past. just PM if you want a sniff.

I'd forgotten Cotys Wild musk. That seems to be highly sought after in the US. We used to nearly drown ourselves in Sandalwood oils. I bet we threw loads away between us all. It doesn't bear thinking about.

PS. I will add that this had blue lettering at the bottom, so I'm not entirely sure if it is identical because of course I cannot remember what colour mine was.

Oh mumsy, you take me back! I had Charlie too, although I was never that fond of it. I also did sandalwood oil! I remember a fragrance called "Love" in a tiny bottle that would fit in your pocket. I think that we bought it in Woolworths. Do you remember Sea Jade? I think that it was Yardley! There were a lot of Yardleys and Coty's. Then Avon Pretty Peach? In "Soap on a Rope" version? When I got my first bottle of Givenchy III I felt that I had made it! Oh they are all coming back now.

queen of the universe

Chantilly and Intimate, definitely. My fascination with Myrurgia—Maderas and Maja, started in my teens or early 20s. I dabbled in headshop body oils, too. I remember this viscous purple stuff labelled "musk" to say nothing of that old hippie fave, patchouli.

later_How could I forget Eau de Love. Nevermind Love's Babysort, I went for the perfumy looking juice. I felt so sophisticated.
    Last edited by jujy54; 15th March 2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: eau de love!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Foustie, I remember Sea Jade! You jogged my memory. Someone gave me that as a gift once.

Soap on a rope.... I had a huge lemon on mine. I think it was by Aqua Citra, the sister of Aqua Manda and I had a round talc to match. I'd forgotten about Intimate too. Didn't it have a translucent purple bottle? I had Quelques Fleurs by Faberge too with a big orange bobble on the top. I loved that one. I loved the lid of Aqua manda too, It was ridged with an orange on with curly bits, I remember pressing my bouncy potty putty into it.... ha ha. How funny remembering all these things.

I wore a scent from Garden Botanika called Purity. I also wore Cool Waters (women's) and Clinique Happy.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

queen of the universe

mumsy! You reminded me. I swiped my mom's Aphrodisia until I could buy my own. Also from Faberge: Straw Hat.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Oh yes! - I remember Aqua Manda, my grandmother gave me a huge bottle for Christmas when I was quite young (I never did get through half of it and have no idea what happened to the rest of it ), there was a 'greenish' scented one too I think but I can't remember what it was called now.

I was also gifted Tweed by Lentheric (not bad but rather old for me) and a few others because people tended to buy gift sets. My sister had the Avon pretty peach soap but I had Bronnley lemons (and I still love the smell).

I think the first things I bought for myself were Houbigant 'Quelque Fleurs' and 'Jicky' which is still my favourite.

I'd forgotten the green one, wasn't it called Meadowsong or something like that? There was Kiku too. Looking at your post i wonder if my soap on a rope that was a lemon was actually a Bronnley lemon and not aqua citra. I've just remembered another, there was a Goya one called black rose. How lovely I thought that was at the time.

Eternity
    Obsession
    Hermes D'Orange Verte