Code of Conduct

Default Questions about Kokorico...

1)Does this get hated on because its a bad fragrance, or does it get hated on because its too close to L'Instant? As in, if there was no L'Instant, would this be a hit with you guys?

2)Will this release in US? at like Nordstroms, Neimans, Sephora, etc?

Thanks guys

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Questions about Kokorico...

1) I don't think it smells like L'Instant. I just don't think it is a very good fragrance.

2) I believe the "official" US release date was listed as 2013 - but I am sure things could change.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I don't hate it at all. I rather like it. Nothing spectacular, but not horrid either. Glad I have it in my collection.
    Last edited by hednic; 5th March 2012 at 03:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    1) I don't think it smells like L'Instant. I just don't think it is a very good fragrance.

2) I believe the "official" US release date was listed as 2013 - but I am sure things could change.
    I dont it smell the same either and a NA release is 2013 from what I've read.

Post Thanks / Like

Just recently I was telling alfarom how nice it is to see a designer not be a typical designer mediocre bland thing.
    Kokorico is a proper perfume. Not a crowd pleaser and not following the masses.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

tbh I just want it for the bottle lol :P

2013?!!?!?!? ugh. Thanks for your opinions and the information, gentlemen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyLeMale View Post
    2013?!!?!?!? ugh. Thanks for your opinions and the information, gentlemen.
    yeah i know brutal lol

im about to pull the trigger on a couple samples!
    Last edited by JonnyLeMale; 5th March 2012 at 04:23 AM. Reason: pull the plug and pull the trigger mean very different things :D

Post Thanks / Like

im about to pull the plug on a couple samples!
    wouldnt hurt to try it

Post Thanks / Like

where is this one being hated on? it seems to be mostly ignored.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I don't hate it at all. I rather like it. Nothing spectacular, but not horrid either.
    This!
    I will be stoned for saying this, but the smoky woodiness in Kokorico does remind me of some Amouage masculine offerings.

From the descriptions I am getting, I dont know why basenotes wouldnt like this.

I would assume that the cocoa and fig leaf would give it a creamy cocoa feel as fig in fragrance sometimes comes out as creamy and milky, while the base is a nice wood.

Can anyone whos tried this comment on the projection and longevity?

I sprayed it once on my wrist and it projected very well for that. It also seems to be longlived as I could clearly smell it after a couple of hours. I did not perceive anything creamy or milky on my skin, rather a sort of smoky woodiness, clearly patchouli.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I sprayed it once on my wrist and it projected very well for that. It also seems to be longlived as I could clearly smell it after a couple of hours. I did not perceive anything creamy or milky on my skin, rather a sort of smoky woodiness, clearly patchouli.
    How is the cocoa note? To your nose is it a dusty cocoa like L'instant or is it a chocolate?

Post Thanks / Like

How is the cocoa note? To your nose is it a dusty cocoa like L'instant or is it a chocolate?
    A combination of the two. Not too sweet like in the gourmande Guerlain nor too dusty like Borneo 1834.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

I think hedonist is right. There was nothing sweet to my nose.

Post Thanks / Like

i dont think this one is hated. its just ignored. Also its not very close to L'Instant, except in the beginning (for around 30 minutes) when the cocoa note is projecting more. After that at least on my skin Kokorico turns more herbal and woody. Contrary to the some opinions here, i got good longevity and projection out of it, but at best i will probably end up with smallest bottle of this juice though never say never. Side by side, i would pick kokorico over instant EDT, but i am biased cause i dont like the guerlain.

Post Thanks / Like

My boyfriend loves Kokorico and whenever he tries to shop, I said "Yeah but it's a less subtle version of L'Instant de Guerlain." I will eventually buy him because I'm tired of posing as a killjoy. Good longevity and good projection.

It's clear by the way it is displayed in various shops that Kokorico doesn't sell well regarding other JPG fragrances, so I went on asking several SA how people react when presented with this fragrance, and the same reply over and over again : it doen't feel like a Gaultier fragrance, which is exactly what was intended by the designer. Hit and miss.

I think this a very decent fragrance nonetheless, bordering on a bit too safe but quite interesting in its dryness and dustiness, reminding me distantly of Borneo 1834.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Kokorico. As pointed out, it's got a 'serious, proper perfume' vibe: dry, dusty patchouli and cocoa then slightly bitter herbs. It'll get more and more fans over time, I reckon.

Not much like L'Instant de Guerlain - which is creamier and more 'approachable'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Just recently I was telling alfarom how nice it is to see a designer not be a typical designer mediocre bland thing.
    Kokorico is a proper perfume. Not a crowd pleaser and not following the masses.
    Exactly.

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just tested this in store. Better than expected. Any resemblance to LIDGE is fleeting. I don't think this will be a hit, it isn't sweet enough for the target audience. The drydown is 'Baudelaire goes to Borneo', with the same woody musty quality I find in the former and the dry cocoa/patch from the latter. A good effort, but not for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot answer question 2), but I surely know it has been released in my country, both in regular fragrance stores and online

As for question 1), it's actually not a bad scent, in fact, even good on the gourmand side and I'm not going to despise and invalidate it, just because it may be fashionable to do so

I kind of like Kokorico. It's not the style of perfume I love to wear but it definitely get's attention

Post Thanks / Like

After a long interval I've tried several designer scents - better to say re-sampled many of them. For me it's obvious Kokorico is much better than the majority Douglas would carry. Dark, manly, very good longevity - not my cup of tee, but for those liking this type of scents could be really satisfactory.

Post Thanks / Like

I tested this at an airport duty free in Los Angeles.

In my view, it's like this: imagine L'instant were reformulated to become weaker, woodier in the base, and in general it seemed like the ingredients were of less "quality" and the fragrance was less complex.

There would be an uproar and a lot of people would be very disappointed.

Well that's what Kokorico was like to my nose. It was like a bad reformulation of Guerlain's l'instant, which in and of itself, would still be "good" in comparison to other scents, but in comparison to its earlier glory would have to be found sorely wanting.

Hard to get excited about a fragrance like this.

I tried Kokorico few days ago. In my opinion it is one of better releases of last years. Doesnt smell as synthetic as other Gaultiers and is nice masculine woody mix with bit of cocoa. It doesnt smell as mature as Guerlain L'Instant. Also it isnt as sweet as I expected (CK One Shock that I tried same day on other wrist was sweeter). I might be buying it later because I dont own Guerlain and nothing in my wardrobe smells like it.
    Current TOP 7 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense
    6. Timbuktu
    7. Dior Homme

A very forgettable fragrance of something that has been done many times prior in the past. I don't think it will fair well here in the united states it maybe might be an exclusive to sephora like le terrible was with out any fan fair. Neither of these recent releases for men by gaultier have the luster after his flop from pushing the male frangance territory with fleur du male

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with hedonist that the cocoa note is very balanced: neither too seeet nor too dry. I like Kokorico, but not quite enough to rush to get a bottle. Although I find the bottle amazing!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit