Code of Conduct

Question Peaty male or unisex scents

I would be very grateful for recommendations of peaty male or unisex scents.
    They may be mass-market, designer and niche. They should include, among the notes, the scents rising up from a good peated single malt scotch (minus the alcoholic fumes), also, some hints of earthy, woody, grounded notes or a slight hint of salty, marshy, mossy, humid yet clean, moderately spicy and maybe even herbal undertones

Thanks in advance!

Cumming is the archetypal smoky, peaty fragrance. Strong stuff too!

Default Re: Peaty male or unisex scents

Vintage Tabac Blond would have done nicely, I think (I never smelled it, but from the descriptions it sounded like that). I have the modern parfum, the top is fantastic and smells exactly like a top notch whiskey. Then it looses itself a bit.

cacio

Ken, I could be really off beam here but when I was reading your post I couldn't help but think of Tauers Verdant. It is green, yes, but a dark dank green. Have you ever pulled an ivy up, or something really dense and you can smell the earth underneath? Well to me that is how it smells, which could be described as peaty, (but not smoked). Happy hunting!

Cotton Club Musc

The smokiness of Le Labo Patchouli 24 reminds me a bit of smoky scotch, whereas the opening of their Oud 27 also has vibe somewhere between a smoother scotch and warm white wine.

Chene by Serge Lutens and Straight to Heaven. Whiskey and rum respectively.

for swap/sale:

I get a bit of a Heathcliffian on the moors vibe from Memoir Man, Ken. The transition from bright, astringent absinthe green into smouldering fankincense is a bit a like a biology lesson in how leaves decay into carbon resulting in peat, and you can then dry and burn the stuff

Bois d'Armenie has a similar vibe, but maybe this isn't what you after?

On another tack, 1740 from Histoires de Parfums.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 4th March 2012 at 05:00 AM.

hmmm, how about Malle's Vetiver Extraordinare has quite an earthy peppery woody vibe, as does Bois D'Orage (wet forest basically)

actually, I have a feeling some of Christopher Brosius's fragrances will work for you... such as Black March
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Thanks guys so far, with the exception of Burberry London which I already know and I also already consider buying asap, all the other aforementioned scents are way up on my "to test" list, followed by possible purchases

Banned

Fumidus by Profumum - One is initally treated to a dram of aromatic scotch whisky, with its tempered harshness harnessed by the indolic sweetness of peat. A nascent, barnyardy aroma of cigar tabacco peeks through as well as a hint of abrading iodine. Medicinal birch bark elbows itself into the mix with its medicinal, wintergreen character and its hint of effervescent birch beer. The sweet, minty intrusion nicely counterbalances the sharpness of the scotch accord. Magical vetiver joins the fray with its rich earthiness and deep muskiness. A strong smokiness envelops the comforting blend. The robust vetiver likewise imparts its syrup, hay and tabacco offerings. A faint armpit body odor and dank woodiness also present. A titillating drydown ensues. This manly composition has excellent projection and longevity - easy on the trigger is the catchphrase here

Honestly Ken there aren't any. None of these are even close to the transcendental experience of nosing a wonderful heavily peated whisky.

Don't get me wrong, many of the suggestions are great fragrances but they don't do it.

BTW, did you have any particular whiskies in mind when you posted this?

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Honestly Ken there aren't any. None of these are even close to the transcendental experience of nosing a wonderful heavily peated whisky.

Don't get me wrong, many of the suggestions are great fragrances but they don't do it.

BTW, did you have any particular whiskies in mind when you posted this?
    Laph, mainly Ben Riach (along with its diversified malted, sherried, woody variation&vintages), as well as almost any single malt from the standard Glenfiddich 12 yo. to heavily peaty concentrations in Laphroig, but even strongly peated blends (at least, according to blended, not single malt standards) like Teachers were on my mind

I know the spectrum is very wide, but at least some of the olfactory sensations captured by a good single malt (or even strongly malted blend) would do

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Laph, mainly Ben Riach (along with its diversified malted, sherried, woody variation&vintages), as well as almost any single malt from the standard Glenfiddich 12 yo. to heavily peaty concentrations in Laphroig, but even strongly peated blends (at least, according to blended, not single malt standards) like Teachers were on my mind

I know the spectrum is very wide, but at least some of the olfactory sensations captured by a good single malt (or even strongly malted blend) would do
    Oh! Sorry! I thought that it was peat that you were after rather than whisky per se. A whisky-centric fragrance? No idea. Round here you would just smell like you had been on the sauce. Good luck.

Ken Russell, you might check out online reviews for Miller Harris Fleurs de Sel. It's a salty, herbal atmospheric blend with some of the nuances of whiskey. Very unusual and very good!

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Ken Russell, you might check out online reviews for Miller Harris Fleurs de Sel. It's a salty, herbal atmospheric blend with some of the nuances of whiskey. Very unusual and very good!
    Fleur de Se is amazing. Certainly FBW.

for swap/sale:

Well I don't know about a fragrance but you can get some peaty incense

http://www.irishcottagecreations.com/

Ardbeg also used to sell peat incense cones.

I've seen Cumming mentioned in relation to Scotland and whisky but I haven't tried it myself.

Teachers hey? Full of Ardmore that one and quite sweet. Maybe you could try layering Jeux de Peau (sweet & buttery) and Lonestar Memories (for the smoke of course) - now there's a freaky combo!

Rum/whiskey alongside an almost melancholy woody iris: Opus V by Amouage.

And, I don't really get any whiskey from it, or anything particularly alcoholic (although there's a touch of absinthe in the opening), but Skarb by H&G captures the rest of your description quite well. Earthy, salty, mossy, humid yet clean, spicy and herbal.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Real ouds will give you the same kind of phenolic complexity as heavily peated Islays. Since there's quite a spectrum in both cases, it is a matter of trying a lot of things oud (sorry, couldn't resist).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

My peaty scents experiences have been:
    Miller Harris's Fleur de Sel
    TDC's Sel de Vetiver
    Eau d'Italie's Bois d'Ombrie
    Le Labo's Patchouli 24
    Profvmvm's Fumidus

I hope to smell others!

Thanks everybody again for the additional recs, hardly expected that so many scents more or less along these lines could be available, and yet, the testing, sampling, purchasing etc. possibilities are pleasantly, fascinatingly diversified