Code of Conduct

Default french lover, fou d'absinthe, 3rd man, or sartorial?

looking for a good quality green fougere..

Default Re: french lover, fou d'absinthe, 3rd man, or sartorial?

Not a big fan of fou... also check out A Taste of Heaven By Kilian. I haven't tried the others but French Lover is on the list to get a sample of.

French Lover by far
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Banned

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur - One is initially treated to a bittersweet blast from the stimulating melange of greenness spurred by ansinthe, with its dusty, dry, medicinal dimensions; angelica, with its heavy, sweet, musky attributes; star anise, with its smoky, rich, licorice character and black currant, with its strong, fruity bouquet tinged with a cat urine slant. Percolating with a faint backdrop of a coniferous forest, this somewhat brisk blend meanders to the inviting heart. Here, woody clove, spicy-sweet ginger, cinnamon-like nutmeg and a hint of lively pepper shower the green opening, and impart their warmth, while resourceful patchouli adds a warm earthiness with its slight nutty and musky overtures. The foresty background is still here, and carries this flavorful concoction to the awaiting base. Robust conifers take center stage with the fresh and slightly camphorous woodiness of pine needles and the balsamic, christmas tree aroma of firs. Cistus bestows its terpenic and pine-like facets and vague illusions of amber and leather. A faintly rugged and quintessentially outdoorsy drydown ensues. This all-season, masculine composition has good projection, a 12-inch, scent cloud, and very good longevity, 10 hours; and should be experienced, especially on cool evenings.

Sartorial by Penhaligon's is just another barbershoppy, oldmanish fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Third Man by far
    This.

I think Sartorial is the best of those. I like The Third Man too (although it actually smells more dated to me).

Those are some top rated perfumes.

For a green fougere I'd have to say Sartorial.
    French Lover is less green and Fou d'Absinthe is too green.

for swap/sale:

French Lover and I like it as it reminds me of walking in a forest after the rain in the fall. Followed by Sartorial for the great complex opening and for that starched shirt accord.lol

Fou d'absinthe
    My top 16:

1. Joop! - Homme 2. Puredistance - M
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco vanille 4. Tom Ford - Neroli portofino
    5. Tauer - L'air de desert marocaine 6. Armani Privé - Ambre orient
    7. Bond - Harrod's oud 8. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    9. Parf. Brückner - Aoud 1 10. Clive Christian - X
    11.Xerjoff - Regio 12. Lush - Breath of God
    13. M.Micaleff - Art collec. 102 14. Armani Privé - Figuier eden
    15. Nasomatto - Pardon 16. Heeley - Oranges and lemons ...

Sound Scents

Sartorial gets the slight edge over French Lover, IMO. Both are good though.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    For a green fougere I'd have to say Sartorial.
    my choice

With the exception of Fou D'Absinthe which a find a tad too subtle to my taste, all the others are really big winners in my book. That being said Sartorial is the most modern with a considerable amount of synthetic "weird" notes that won't be inappropriate on a Comme Des Garcons (comparisons with CDG don't stop here, considering that Sartorial is made by Duchafour who did many CDGs as well). French Lover is the one to go if you want an extra lived-in vibe from your fragrance. Distinctive and unique. 3rd Man is possibly on of the best florals for men so far.

Have you tried Insensè?
    Last edited by alfarom; 13th March 2012 at 09:04 AM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Have you tried Insensè?
    Could You please stop to recommend Insense? Prices on the supply which is left after discontinuation are already sky rocketing (~300$ per vintage 100ml)! And I feel my stash is rather tight 8-(

On the other hand, that said fragrance isn't a 'green farn' anyway. But neither is Sartorial. What shalls? Having compared Sartorial to Monseur Givenchy I find the latter more representable. Sartorial feels a little bit too complicated, to much activity beneath, after the second wearing no more wiered, too. MG is a very good perfume and so the niche for a citric woody cologne is already occupied.
    Last edited by WildThingy; 5th March 2012 at 09:12 AM.
    No More Buying - Leaving - Left

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Could You please stop to recommend Insense? Prices on the supply which is left after discontinuation are already sky rocketing! And I feel my stash is rather tight 8-(
    LOL Still widely available over here...and for incredibly cheap too (100ml sells for 30 euros)
    Last edited by alfarom; 5th March 2012 at 09:22 AM.

LOL Still widely available over here...and for incredibly cheap too (100ml sells for 30 euros)
    I always dreamed of moving to the midst Italy.

Honest: where is it still available?!
    No More Buying - Leaving - Left

I always dreamed of moving to the midst Italy.
    If you'll ever come to visit, drop me a line and I'll be glad to tell you where to get Insensè for a ridiculous price.

Fou d'Absinthe

Aqua:

among the 4, my favorite is Troisieme homme. Classic, with just a touch of flowers (could do more), and an interesting clean-musky drydown. FdA, as alfarom was saying, is a little weak. The beginning of French lover is stunning, but the drydown seems too sharp and synthetic to me, which is a pity; but perhaps you're fine with it. Sartorial also smells a little too synthetic chemical; interesting modern notes, but not for me.

Re: Insense, it had been reintroduced a couple of years back - it's already gone again? this one had no hope. Givenchy III ruined and insense' gone. Perhaps I should buy the vetyver before that's gone too. Anyway, I've seen some bottles (of the original introduction) here in a store in DC's exurbia, and once in Italy too, as alfarom was saying.

cacio

1 = fou d'absinthe
    2 = 3rd man
    3 = sartorial

? = french lover, I don't remember.
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

Sur la Plage

1) Sartorial
    2) Fou d'Absinthe
    3) 3rd Man

Not recommended: French Lover
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

haha yes i actually used to own a small vintage 30ml bottle of insense. i used it up when they rereleased it and bought another bottle.

seems like sartorial by a hair.

sartorial -6
    fda-5
    french lover -3
    3rd man- 2
    Last edited by acquadiporma; 6th March 2012 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Aqua:

Perhaps I should buy the vetyver before that's gone too.

cacio
    You enjoy vetiver so yes you shouod certainly acquire it before it ceases production.
    It's a very enjoyable vetiver.

for swap/sale:

Cacio, have you ever seen vintage Vetyver in a shop around here?

Sartorial is a big favorite of mine, and IMO the most fougere-y of the choices. I also own and love Fou d'Absinthe - it's more about trees - wood, sap, and incense. Lasting power could be a little better. French Lover, while I enjoy it, is a little too dry and sparse for me, very woody, and hasn't earned a spot on my shelf. Haven't properly sampled 3rd man yet...

Never seen vintage Vetyver here in the US. Not looked around much in Italy. I'm working under the assumption that the re-release is decent, and that seems to be still available, at least from their website (while insense is not)

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Never seen vintage Vetyver here in the US. Not looked around much in Italy. I'm working under the assumption that the re-release is decent, and that seems to be still available, at least from their website
    Yeah, current Vetyver is available around here too (La Rinascente has a quite big stock) but I'm waiting to score a vintage bottle in one of those dusty shops I talked you about...let's see..

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread. Now I shut up!

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur - One is initially treated to a bittersweet blast from the stimulating melange of greenness spurred by ansinthe, with its dusty, dry, medicinal dimensions; angelica, with its heavy, sweet, musky attributes; star anise, with its smoky, rich, licorice character and black currant, with its strong, fruity bouquet tinged with a cat urine slant. Percolating with a faint backdrop of a coniferous forest, this somewhat brisk blend meanders to the inviting heart. Here, woody clove, spicy-sweet ginger, cinnamon-like nutmeg and a hint of lively pepper shower the green opening, and impart their warmth, while resourceful patchouli adds a warm earthiness with its slight nutty and musky overtures. The foresty background is still here, and carries this flavorful concoction to the awaiting base. Robust conifers take center stage with the fresh and slightly camphorous woodiness of pine needles and the balsamic, christmas tree aroma of firs. Cistus bestows its terpenic and pine-like facets and vague illusions of amber and leather. A faintly rugged and quintessentially outdoorsy drydown ensues. This all-season, masculine composition has good projection, a 12-inch, scent cloud, and very good longevity, 10 hours; and should be experienced, especially on cool evenings.

Sartorial by Penhaligon's is just another barbershoppy, oldmanish fragrance.
    Fou d'Absinthe would be my choice as well, although I wouldn't dream of trying to explain why after this great description!

You can find it on ebay for around $50+ for 50ml - that's cheaper than most designer fragrances.

Could You please stop to recommend Insense? Prices on the supply which is left after discontinuation are already sky rocketing (~300$ per vintage 100ml)! And I feel my stash is rather tight 8-(

On the other hand, that said fragrance isn't a 'green farn' anyway. But neither is Sartorial. What shalls? Having compared Sartorial to Monseur Givenchy I find the latter more representable. Sartorial feels a little bit too complicated, to much activity beneath, after the second wearing no more wiered, too. MG is a very good perfume and so the niche for a citric woody cologne is already occupied.

will go with fou d absinthe for now because i found it locally. id have to order penns and the malle online, not that it is a hassle and malle is a very accomodating company but i just can't wait lol!

Off-Scenter

Of the OP's four proffered choices, only Fou d'Absinthe qualifies as a "green fougère" to my nose. French Lover is a dry green woody scent, Third Man is a sweet, musky floral fougère, and Sartorial is a spicy aromatic fougère with black pepper and an enormous beeswax base note.

Basenotes Institution

Fou d'Absinthe

Is FdA a fougere?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Off-Scenter

Michael Edwards lists it as a fougère, and it certainly smells like one to me.

French Lover !!!!

I'd go with Sartorial.

I don't get any green at all for Le Troisieme Homme or Sartorial.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Fou d'absinthe is the greenest.
    Sartorial is the fougereiest.
    French lover is woodiest.
    3me Homme is most floral.

I own Sartorial and want Fou d'Absinthe. I can live without the other two, though both are nice. Your tastes may be different.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

I'd rank them:

Fou d'Absinthe
    French Lover
    3rd Man
    Satorial
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

sartorial -6
    fda-6
    french lover -3
    3rd man- 2

Sartorial a green fougere? Uh, it doesn't read as green to me, at all. White. Silver. Metallic. Some grays. Some beiges. But green? No!

If you want a green fougere I'd recommend:
    Fou d'Absinthe - nice, but light like so many L'Artisans. If you want a more intense experience try..
    Amouage Memoir Man - green and grey and black. Maybe more woody incense than fougere but there is a noticeable lavender and oakmoss component.
    Eloge du Traitre - green and cold, like a cooler and more modern take on Yatagan. Fougere elements present although not pronounced.

French Lover is nice but is very woody and dry. Doesn't read as a fougere in my books, despite being 'greyish green' in color. 3rd Man is a floral beast and, while excellent, doesn't fit the category IMO.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more