Code of Conduct

Smile Shalimar EDC. What do you think about it?

I read in female forum that this shalimar has a smoke quality and is pretty good. Also they say it has good longevity. Anyone knows about it to tell some words? Thanks guys!

51J7MiCVTpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Last edited by voidvader; 17th October 2012 at 05:54 AM.

Default Re: Shalimar EDC. What do you think about it?

The opening of the EDC is rather disturbing with a burnt vanilla vibe...reminds me of Jicky. It is without a doubt a masterpiece, and the EDC is very unisex except for one problem: everyone recognizes this scent and will immediately associate it with the woman they knew that wore it. They may not say anything but they will be thinking: "why is that guy wearing what my Mom used to wear?"

with that said, I own it and enjoy wearing it around the house in the evening but would not wear it in public. The EDC version is very inexpensive, possibly discontiued.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

double post
    Last edited by southerngardens; 14th December 2012 at 02:35 AM.
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

My wife likes this one. I think it smells nice on her too.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SirNosebleed View Post
    The opening of the EDC is rather disturbing with a burnt vanilla vibe...reminds me of Jicky. It is without a doubt a masterpiece, and the EDC is very unisex except for one problem: everyone recognizes this scent and will immediately associate it with the woman they knew that wore it. They may not say anything but they will be thinking: "why is that guy wearing what my Mom used to wear?"

with that said, I own it and enjoy wearing it around the house in the evening but would not wear it in public. The EDC version is very inexpensive, possibly discontiued.
    I have to disagree. I wear Shalimar all the time and could care less what others are thinking! I wear male and many female frags because I love them and because I am myself. Wear what you like and be yourself and don't let anyone make you self conscience about it. Life is too short to conform to marketing and others expectations!
    I have a bottle of vintage Shalimar EDC and Shalimar does have a sensual smokiness on men's skin that is the vanilla coming through and mixing with the the mid and top notes.
    I have dry skin and Shalimar edc doesn't last more than an hour and a half on me, but with different body chemistry, it's possible to get 2-3 hours out of it, as a guess.
    Last edited by southerngardens; 14th December 2012 at 10:15 PM.
    Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity - COCO CHANEL

I did not like the EdC (longevity is fine though) and would grab the vintage EdT in a flash. Contrary to many BNers, I don't find the old EdC version of the classic Guerlains to be good (exception being L'Heure Bleue).

The EDC is great, especially now the weather is cooler - picked some up recently. If you want smoke grab a vintage Extrait or the new Ode a la Vanille Sur le Route de Madagascar.

EDC is indeed unisex and very pleasant

Banned

vintage EDC smells very natural, its opening of bergamot is very nice and so unisex, if not masculine, after an hour or so it gets more woody vanilla....

but i do like vintage EDT better becasue its simply higher concentration and i get more of femminine vibe to it

for me SHalimar EDC is the one made for men

longevity is great , all day

I've had the EdC for almost a year now and I love it. I've worn it out more than once and gotten nothing but compliments.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Blog Entries

l find the vintage EDC very pleasant & long-lasting, with prominent citrus & iris notes. l think it is easily unisex.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l find the vintage EDC very pleasant & long-lasting, with prominent citrus & iris notes. l think it is easily unisex.
    This! The vintage edc is one of my most comforting scents. After a stressful day i have a hot shower and douse myself in the magical elixir. Its heavenly!

Basenotes Institution

Shalimar Eau de Cologne is the one fragrance that I wear the most, of all of my scents.

If you've never smelled Shalimar before, you might be in for a rude awakening: The bergamot top notes are very strong, so much so that the first time I smelled it I got turned off to it. It does not smell like any bergamot you've ever smelled - mostly due to the fact that it's an overdose of bergamot. It smells sort of dirty and simultaneously powdery. As soon as you smell that, the vanilla, amber, florals, resins all sort of lift up the bergamot. Like I said, you'll either enjoy this or you won't.

True story: Two days ago I sprayed on some Shalimar before my buddy picked me up in his car (we were going car shopping). As soon as I stepped into the car he said 'You smell good'. He knows I am into fragrances, but he is not. But he knows when something smells good. He couldn't believe I was wearing a fragrance marketed to women, before I told him I just 'smelled good'. The point: Wear whatever the hell you want to. All of our 'fears' about people thinking we smell like the wrong gender are all in our heads - not in reality.

The picture you posted above is EdC from probably the mid 1990's. It is by no means 'vintage' but it's still good stuff (I went through a bottle last year). But...compared to the vintage EdC I own (from the 1960's), it is a bit more flat. The vintage EdC is fantastic and I hope to always have bottle(s) in my wardrobe. It has been my experience that vintage Shalimar ages beautifully.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac