Code of Conduct

Default What is it with masculine florals?

Greetings Basenoters,

I'm a real sucker for masculine florals. I don't know what it is but they can literally make my mouth water! Having recently found even more love for Third Man I'm searching through more to try. Insense is a favourite and I'm lucky enough to have some Monsieur Carven with that wonderful civet in the base. GOD!! They don't make 'em like that anymore!!! Or do they?

Could you list a few of your favourite masculine florals which I may try?

Many thanks,

Koala.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: What is it with masculine florals?

Kenzo Power
    Dior Homme
    Fleur du Male

Bond No 9 West Side
    Bond No 9 Washington Square
    + Fleur Du Male

Got to go with Kenzo Power too, and Fleur du Male...but easy on the trigger!
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Domenico Caraceni 1913
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

How could I forget Black Aoud? More rose than Aoud to me, and very masculine to my nose.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

you got the best already: insense

I love florals for men too, especially now that the spring is coming. Insense, as you mention, and Troisieme homme (at least vintage). Discontinued, there's also Rochas Globe (which is less floral than the two above, but still has prominent florals). Some green florals seem to be in the general category, even if marketed to women. My favorite is perhaps Paco Rabanne Metal (hard to find but not discontinued), centered on narcissus, and with a strange, oil note in the drydown. But also Parfums de Nicolai Temps d'une fete or Jacomo Silences.

In a completely different genre, there are the big luscious florals, like Amouage Gold man- an enormous floral-incense with tons of civet, if you like civet, this one is for you. Many here, including myself, also love Tubereuse criminelle by Serge Lutens.

cacio

If you like civet, I would recommend Rose Poivrée from TDC. I think it's pretty awesome.

Dior Homme

Brian:

current Rose poivree (nice spicy rose, but I prefer Rosine pour un homme) or vintage (male underwear, according to Tania Sanchez)?

cacio

Heritage, Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme, Antaeus, and Salvador Dali are pretty good florals with a similar feel to Third Man.

Kenzo Power
    Le Troisieme Homme
    Rose d'Homme

Any florals a man wants to wear.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Frederic Malle - Noir Epices - spice - orange (don't be put off) - rose - geranium

Czeck & Speake - no. 88 - rose - geranium - sandalwood

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    If you like civet, I would recommend Rose Poivrée from TDC. I think it's pretty awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Brian:

current Rose poivree (nice spicy rose, but I prefer Rosine pour un homme) or vintage (male underwear, according to Tania Sanchez)?

cacio
    I've smelled the current Rose Poivrée by The Difference Company and sadly there is no perceivable civet.

for swap/sale:

+1,000 Washington Square

Also:

Lyric Man
    Reflection Man
    Fleur du Male
    Ungaro II
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

ok Fleur du Male has been mentioned several times so I'd rather suggest something else, not really marketed to males but Alexander McQueen Kingdom takes the cake with a dark rose vibe, and has those dirty elements that just trigger the "senses"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by vbs View Post
    Domenico Caraceni 1913
    agree ... and:

Une Fleur de Cassie by Frederic Malle - Upon application, one is treated to a rapturous array of florals; the inspiration of which is mind-blowing. Cassie, with its somewhat green, sweetish and ever so slightly powdery facets, mimosa, with its woody, toothsome, flowery character, carnation, with its intense spiciness, and an indolic jasmine, with its heightened decay, all march through the stepped phases of the birth and death of poignant floracy. The delicate innocence, the arousing nubility, the fetid rot, all present. Transitioning to waiting heart, a fascinating melange of a faintly soapy and honeyed rose, the fresh, green sweetness of violet, as well as the fruitiness of apricot, all commingle and lift the versatile cassie. A musty and sour clove as well as a sensual and sweat-like cumin dirty the mixture with their illusion of body odor and secretions. Magical aldehydes enliven the brew with their brillance, while bewitching salicylates add their brightening, fabric softener character. Segueing to the awaiting base, a slightly spicy and dry cedar interplays with a smooth and creamy sandalwood, while a sweetly vanillic musk lightly graces their interaction. A polished drydown ensues. Masterfully blended, this paradoxically awesome composition has good projection and very good longevity.

&

Iris Poudre by Frederic Malle - Upon application, one is treated to beautiful and understated wafts of aldehydes, giving a sparkly dimension to the lemony magnolia, the fruity ylang-ylang and the tutti-frutti jasmine. Drifting to the waiting middle, a regal iris overtakes the brilliance of the aldehydes, and infuses its violet-like sweetness and verdancy to the fore. The standoffish iris is lightly dusted with the powderiness of the magical aldehydes. An earthy and somewhat green undertone is provided by stalwart vetiver. Transitioning to the awaiting base, creamy sandalwood, spicy tonka bean and sweet vanilla encase the lustrous iris, and lead to a handsome and easy drydown. This exquisite, unisex composition is a skin scent, as far as projection is concerned; however, the longevity, 8-9 hours, is good.

&

Fleurs de Sel by Miller Harris - Initially, one is pleasantly immersed in an herbal deluge of red thyme, with its camphoraceous and woody facets, rosemary, with its linalool and coniferous aspects as well as clary sage, with its dry greenness and salty character. This remarkable accord conjures a parched, salt marshland, and meanders to the awaiting middle. Here, in the majestic heart, free-spirited wildflowers are added to the mix with the rich, floral elegance of narcissus, the spiciness of rugosa rose, as well as the stateliness of iris. The revised melange takes on a seaside splendor. Magical ambrette, with its fruity and oily, inoffensive muskiness supplies a benign undertone. Transitioning to the waiting base, a refreshing medley of relaxed and aged driftwood, luxurious and scented suede, smoky and green oakmoss as well as dry and salty vetiver, coaxes to the alluring drydown. This bewitching composition is basically a skin scent, with average longevity, but is nonetheless singular.

Wow, many great suggestions already. I'll second Une Fleur De Cassie (probably not exactly masculine but surely not a pretty flowers bouquet type of fragrance), Fleurs De Sel and Temps D'Une Fete. I'll add Carillon Pour Un Ange as a landmark in soliflore perfumery.
    Last edited by alfarom; 6th March 2012 at 10:47 PM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Jardin du Nil by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier. Le nec plus ultra florale masculine.

I love Une Fleur De Cassie and Jardin du Nil.

Mecca carry UFdC and Tuberose Criminalle if you want plan to test out those two.
    As alfa suggests UFdC isn't exactly masculine and TC is just plain odd. I can't decide if I like this one (wavering on the side of "not" at the moment).

Actually, given you're love for classic masculines I'm not sure these will fit the style you're after at all....

Lumiere Noire Pour Homme is my favorite, I like the rose and patchouli combo.

I will add Tenere by Paco Rabanne
    Saville Row
    & 2nd Ungaro II

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Creed Windsor - the best male rose scent - and Penhaligons Hammam Bouquet - spicier - are two seminal rose florals.

Fire Island by bond 9

Try Chamade pour Homme for something off the well-trodden rose-lined path

They may not be literally masculine florals, but my faves are Charogne, Carnal Flower, Sarrasins and Lumière Noire. Honorable mention to Red Sea.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

If you can find it anywhere, Trumper's Fougena is the closest thing I have in the same style of Insense.
    Regards,
    Renato

I do recommend Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet. Bobaka thinks the reformulation is not very good, which would be distressing if true. It is a remarkable masculine floral, however. The top and heart, a duet of rose and lavender, are sublime.

Discontinued, there's also Rochas Globe (which is less floral than the two above, but still has prominent florals).
    It is still for sale in the Netherlands!
    http://www.parfumconcurrent.nl/heren...7/rochas/1878/

Good to know that Globe is still available in the netherlands... I have a bottle already, but I think there are a few people who might want to stock up.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    Heritage, Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme, Antaeus, and Salvador Dali are pretty good florals with a similar feel to Third Man.
    WoW - you call VC&A ph & Antaeus for florals !?!

If so I love florals, but to my nose they are nothing like florals at all.
    They are strong heavy masculine tobacco-leather-woody powerhouse frags that had absolutely nothing floral about them besides the floral ingredients, which only show themselves very very refined vaguely in the far background.

Heritage does have a rosewood scent in it, but to call that a floral.......hmmmmm.....have to disagree !
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Classic: Iquitos by Alain Delon - rose and aldehydes on a bed of civet.

New: Lippizan by Parfums de Marly - iris and (mainly) jasmine. A new favourite of mine.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Amouage-Gold
    Czech & Speake-No.88
    MFK-Lumiere Noire
    Dior Homme

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post
    ... real sucker for masculine florals.
    Which perfume is not 'floral'? For instance the classical cologne Monsieur Givenchy is floral. Starts citric, ends woody balsamic liven up by some very important rosy undertones.

The (in)famous Insense by Givenchy is said to be 'floral' but to my nose it isn't. What I really appreciate is the smokiness of the aldehydes, which is an off-note if one is after 'floral'. The 'floral' part is as much so as a bacon is 'floral' smelling - honest. Insense manages to smell of bacon and smoke the same time without resembling smoked bacon. I love it, not at least because it is the best service to my regular body odor which I really really can't avoid. But, it's not floral! To associate 'floral' with it one has to strongly identify perfumers aldehydes with flowers. I doubt this association is possible out of the context of old school perfumery with pretty raspy flowers, quite unlike today's compositions.

Finally - hmm - what about Comme Des Garcons, their latest release, "Eau des Parfum" or named the like, in that "impossible" bottle. It is a logical successor to Piguet - Bandit, which to my nose was an abstract 'white flower' with rancid 'human skin'. The CdG is even more abstract still blowing the same tune: perfectly polished aldehydes and safraleine without its plastic off note.
    No More Buying - Leaving - Left

Kenzo Power
    Fleur du Male
    Bond No.9 Washington Square
    Chinatown
    Fleur Du Male

Sur la Plage

XPEC Original
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I prefer Carnal Flower to any other masculine marketed floral fragrance. If you lump rose fragrances under floral I would highly recommend Rose 31, though it is more spice-centric than floral. Geranium Pour Monsieur is another fantastic floral based male fragrance, however it feels much more about mint than about geranium.

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    WoW - you call VC&A ph & Antaeus for florals !?!

If so I love florals, but to my nose they are nothing like florals at all.
    They are strong heavy masculine tobacco-leather-woody powerhouse frags that had absolutely nothing floral about them besides the floral ingredients, which only show themselves very very refined vaguely in the far background.

Heritage does have a rosewood scent in it, but to call that a floral.......hmmmmm.....have to disagree !

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme has rose in the middle notes and it carries on further into the drydown for me. It IS what makes it a great fragrance to me.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Good to know that Globe is still available in the netherlands... I have a bottle already, but I think there are a few people who might want to stock up.

cacio
    There are more bottles available now. There may have been a re-launch, actually. Kind of like Azzaro Actuer.....just under out radar and not noticed.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Cool Re: What is it with masculine florals?

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Which perfume is not 'floral'? For instance the classical cologne Monsieur Givenchy is floral. Starts citric, ends woody balsamic liven up by some very important rosy undertones.

The (in)famous Insense by Givenchy is said to be 'floral' but to my nose it isn't. What I really appreciate is the smokiness of the aldehydes, which is an off-note if one is after 'floral'. The 'floral' part is as much so as a bacon is 'floral' smelling - honest. Insense manages to smell of bacon and smoke the same time without resembling smoked bacon. I love it, not at least because it is the best service to my regular body odor which I really really can't avoid. But, it's not floral! To associate 'floral' with it one has to strongly identify perfumers aldehydes with flowers. I doubt this association is possible out of the context of old school perfumery with pretty raspy flowers, quite unlike today's compositions.

Finally - hmm - what about Comme Des Garcons, their latest release, "Eau des Parfum" or named the like, in that "impossible" bottle. It is a logical successor to Piguet - Bandit, which to my nose was an abstract 'white flower' with rancid 'human skin'. The CdG is even more abstract still blowing the same tune: perfectly polished aldehydes and safraleine without its plastic off note.

Good Point!

I guess we know what we mean by 'florals' but since its not a---what? "Established Category. " Unlike Orientals, Chypre, or Fougere we forget that so many men's fragrances contain florals e.g;

Old Spice has jasmine, carnation and heliotrope at the heart, Polo has jasmine, carnation and rose, and Grey Flannel is a violet overdose; but who the hell would refer to them as floral?

Ok, I think we know what the OP had in mind.
    So to contribute others that haven't been mentioned:

Aramis 900 Is not quite my thing but it's extremely well constructed. A Solemn flower in the Sahara.
    Dunhill for Men ( original 1934) Rose, jasmine and carnation---THE elegant masculine flower.
    Balenciaga pour Homme--A honeyed jasmine, falling down drunk. Again, superb construction.
    Egoiste Rose with a sandalwood base. Another masterpiece.

Cheers,

Mario

Have Amouage Lyric Man on today, its absolutely amazing. Reflection Man is great too, a less toned down compared to LM

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    Have Amouage Lyric Man on today, its absolutely amazing. Reflection Man is great too, a less toned down compared to LM
    I agree, they are both really good. Almost unisex though, would be nice if they were a bit more masculine.

Abdes Salaam Attar Profumo Don Corleone = best masculine tuberose.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Richard James EdT

Coriolan
    Safari Pour Homme
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I was going to suggest Kenzo Power and Fleur du Male as well, I guess they are that obvious. I find Jaipur Homme and Zino also plenty floral.

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    Équipage by Hermès
    99 Regent Street by Hugh Parsons
    Habit Houge Sport by Guerlain
    Brit for Men by Burberry

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    That is an excellent subtle floral leather that I tried last night. Great stuff.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Creed Windsor - soft Rose, Tuberose
    Amouage Ciel Man - mixed floral
    Czech & Speake No. 88 - tart Rose
    Maitre Pour Le Jeune Homme - wet Neroli
    Prelude to Love By Kilian - mixed floral
    Dior Homme Intense - Iris
    Parfums de Nicolai Cologne Sologne -dry Neroli

Those are by far my favorite masculine florals. I love the top notes of Luten's Tuberose criminelle as well, but find the drydown very femme.

Ungaro III
    czech and speake dark rose

Almost all great masculine fragrances have a strong floral component in the heart notes.

Not that it matters, but most of the real florals will be classified as feminines.

Something like Insense (Givenchy) is a good fragrance but it's a floral camouflaged by spices. Tenere (Paco Rabanne) is the same way.

The Third Man is a fougere. There aren't many real florals classified as masculine. Amouage Gold for Men is one of the few.

Other than the feminines, I don't consider most of what's listed above to be truly floral. You might as well just try some of the feminines if you want an exhilarating floral that isn't blurred by spices.

Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    I will add Tenere by Paco Rabanne
    Saville Row
    & 2nd Ungaro II
    Yes, agree, Saville Row is awesome!

Cool Re: What is it with masculine florals?

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Richard James EdT
    +1 Thank you KMF!
    How could I have forgotten this one?

( Note this is not " Richard James Cologne" a 2006 EDC but the amazing "Richard James by Richard James " a 2003 EDT, now discontinued-- of course. Aaargh! )

--SEE THE REVIEWS.

Notes:

Top: Bergamot, Mandarin, Ginger, Green tea leaves, Petitgrain, Rosemary, Basil

Middle: Cardamom, Coriander, Tuberose, Lily of the valley, Rose, Lavender

Base: Suede, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Amber, Vetiver, Musk, Oak moss

This is a 5 star masculine floral.

Cheers,

And good hunting on eBbay

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Creed Chevrefeuille Original is one of my all-time favorite florals.

Chamade Pour Homme