Code of Conduct

Talking How different is Dark Aoud by Montale from Black Aoud by Montale?

Dear All,

I own Montale Black Aoud and I really like it. But my problem is mainly I can feel only roses and roses. What I want is to smell mainly oud. Now I'd like to purchase Dark Aoud but unfortunately I've to do a blind buy (online shopping). So I would like to know how different is Dark Aoud if you compare it to Black Aoud?

P.S: I don't want to buy another AOUD fragrance from Montale in which I can't smell oud.

Default Re: How different is Dark Aoud by Montale from Black Aoud by Montale?

I never tried Dark Aoud, but I have some samples and one of them smell manly oud, if I can remember well is Royal Oud, can anyone confirm?

If you want to avoid the rose note but you're up for a Montale, Dark Aoud and Aoud Musk are terrific options. The former is a pitch-black oud/sandalwood fragrance with the usual strong cedarwood note typical of many Montales. Aoud Musk is more about oud and saffron (medicinal blast included).

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Royal Oud? You mean Creed's Royal Oud?

I'm guessing he means Montale. I do personally love Dark Aoud, but everyone I know complains when I wear it. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by ELIshock View Post
    Royal Oud? You mean Creed's Royal Oud?
    No, montale

The point I want to avoid rose is it smells like a bookhoor (alcohol free sweet oils). I don't want to much oriental that's why probably will avoid Aoud Musk (due to saffron) as well. How is sillage of Dark Aoud? Is it good as Black Aoud?

Quote Originally Posted by LeMÔle View Post
    I'm guessing he means Montale. I do personally love Dark Aoud, but everyone I know complains when I wear it. Go figure.
    People around me like when I wear Black Aoud but not my family members )) They find it too oriental and feminine (due to rose)

The sandalwood in Dark Aoud is pretty noticeable. I get more of a "pure oud" vibe from Lime Aoud, even if that one is also blended. Both options are good, projection and longevity really above average.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by ELIshock View Post
    How is sillage of Dark Aoud? Is it good as Black Aoud?
    Sillage is great. I actually prefer Dark Aoud over Black Aoud because I'm not much of a big fan of rose. Both great fragrances, though...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Why So Serious?

You are for sure not getting any rose in Dark Aoud! It's as the name states, it is a very dark scent, dominated by vetiver and oud, it is intensely woody and earthy and little incensey for the kick. If you like the Aoud of Black Aoud I think you will like Dark Aoud, but be warned, there's nothing floral or sweet about Dark Aoud, it's as woody as it gets.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Basenotes Plus

Dark Aoud does not smell like Black Aoud: at all. Dark Aoud is dry as a bone and prominently features Sandalwood, the Aoud is there, but the bone dry sandalwood is front and center. It smells like a dry, dusty, crypt, and is wonderful. As you know, Black Aoud smells like Aoud and roses, where the rose is center stage. If you want an Aoud and rose smell where the Auod is the dominant note, then you definitely should try Montale's Royal Aoud. The Aoud is right up front, and the fragrance smells a lot like bandaids. The aoud will eventually recede and the gorgeous rose will finally start to show itself. I happen to love the smell.

I own both BA and DA. Dark Aoud opens with a nutty, oud-ala-Montale, absence of rose. Then goes to a very dry, sandalwood, oud, dry aroma. Very different from Black Aoud for sure. Longevity for both are crazy. However, BA projects more than DA.

They both have Aoud, but primarily in terms of top notes they're completely different animals. If you like the Montale Aouds you should definitely consider getting both.

You might want to also take a look into Aoud Flowers, it's all aoud and nothing else. Don't be fooled by the name though, there's no flower in Aoud Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    You might want to also take a look into Aoud Flowers, it's all aoud and nothing else. Don't be fooled by the name though, there's no flower in Aoud Flowers
    Really? According to Montale this has Rose Absolute and geranium... Confused.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Montale Original Aoud for a linear oud. Nothing else but oud.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Sillage is great. I actually prefer Dark Aoud over Black Aoud because I'm not much of a big fan of rose. Both great fragrances, though...
    second that! dark aoud is pure, medicinal, unadulterated aoud, bone dry, stark and uncompromising, no rose at all. sillage and longevity both absolutely amazing, be careful with the stuff, don't need more than 2 little (and i mean little) sprays.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Really? According to Montale this has Rose Absolute and geranium... Confused.
    If it has Rose Absolute and geranium then they are treated with a very very light touch since all I can smell is aoud, medicinal, typical Montale's aoud

Yuck. I hate both of them. They're stinking up my sample drawer as we speak.

PM your address and I'll send you the rest of my samples. There's a decent amount left.

Get Dark Aoud. It is a beautiful monster.

LOVE Black Aoud, put on my clothes last Saturday, it's still there this afternoon(Tuesday). Unique and sexy

Quote Originally Posted by Chrynocry View Post
    LOVE Black Aoud, put on my clothes last Saturday, it's still there this afternoon(Tuesday). Unique and sexy
    I already own Black Aoud. My problem is I don't want to smell like grave roses. I will travel to Dubai, UAE on 23rd of March and want to try out Dark Aoud there. Just don't want to do my 2nd blind buy from Montale line. But considering reviews Dark Aoud is something very special.

And when you are there, you might want to sniff (or buy) the By Kilian Dubai Exclusive: Extreme Oud. =)

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    And when you are there, you might want to sniff (or buy) the By Kilian Dubai Exclusive: Extreme Oud. =)
    Have you tried it? Is it good?
    My budget is around $ 250-300 for perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    If you want to avoid the rose note but you're up for a Montale, Dark Aoud and Aoud Musk are terrific options. The former is a pitch-black oud/sandalwood fragrance with the usual strong cedarwood note typical of many Montales.

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post
    You are for sure not getting any rose in Dark Aoud! It's as the name states, it is a very dark scent, dominated by vetiver and oud, it is intensely woody and earthy and little incensey for the kick. If you like the Aoud of Black Aoud I think you will like Dark Aoud, but be warned, there's nothing floral or sweet about Dark Aoud, it's as woody as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by bejahu View Post
    Dark Aoud does not smell like Black Aoud: at all. Dark Aoud is dry as a bone and prominently features Sandalwood, the Aoud is there, but the bone dry sandalwood is front and center. It smells like a dry, dusty, crypt, and is wonderful. As you know, Black Aoud smells like Aoud and roses, where the rose is center stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    I own both BA and DA. Dark Aoud opens with a nutty, oud-ala-Montale, absence of rose. Then goes to a very dry, sandalwood, oud, dry aroma. Very different from Black Aoud for sure.

I fully agree with all this gentlemans. There is no rose in Dark Aoud and it is one of least medicinal Aouds from Montales that I tried so far. Bone dry woods is probably best description.
    TOP 4 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 4 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme

Dear All,

Thanks for your opinions and advise. I bought Dark Aoud and fell in love with it. It's simply amazing.

Now I'm wearing it by layering with Black Aoud and pure Cambodian Oud oil (3ml - 150 USD). Who owns them should definitely try because the smell is awesome. Just put small amount of oil, then 2 times spray Black Aoud + 2 times Dark Aoud. It lasts around 30-32 hours on my skin (on clothes more than week).

I have to admit, I just to my 50ml bottle of Black Aoud and I didn't realize I hated rose in a fragrance so much until now. I thought the oud was going to play a more dominate role but Black Aoud is really rose heavy. I sprayed a test spray in th bedroom and my girlfriend walked in an hour later and asked who's grandmother had visited. To my nose it does definitely have a feminine bent. I wore it today and don't feel comfortable wearing it.

Dump her! Just kidding... I have received nothing but compliments from wearing Black Aoud. I do no find it feminine at all, in Eastern cultures, Rose is considered unisex. I think it is cultural though, I grew up drinking rose syrup, having rose water sprinkled on me after playing football, lighting rose incense, so Rose has played a significant role in my olfactory experience.