Code of Conduct

Default What would a general, all purpose ten fragrance collection look like...

Hi all,

I’m a newbie; that’s for damn sure – completely clueless. Until recently I considered myself fully groomed after brushing my teeth, applying the speed stick and putting on a hat. Sadly, this routine has been going on for decades. I’m in my fifties and I only bought my first bottle of cologne a week ago. A week ago! Imagine that.

Anyway, that first bottle came with a free gym bag, some anti-aging cream samples and an epiphany. Now having realized the error of my ways I’m hooked on fragrances. Hell, I might even get a new hat! :-)

But, nevermind all that. Here's my question. If you were going to put together a little collection of say ten or twelve colognes which ones would you choose in order to cover all the bases - summer, winter - formal, casual - bedroom, office and so on?

Default Re: What would a general, all purpose ten fragrance collection look like...

Sycomore - smoky vetiver
    Muscs Koublai Khan - floral musk
    Vetiver Extraordinaire - all vetiver
    Egoiste - spicy wood
    Antaeus - powerhouse
    M7 - Mossy oud
    Azzaro pour Homme - fougere king
    Rive Gauche pour Homme - barbershop
    Aramis - classic
    Millesime Imperial - light + pretty

Default Re: What would a general, all purpose ten fragrance collection look like...

What did you get?
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Welcome!
    As usual, suggestions will change depending on budget, but to start. Regular price, non-niche:
    Dior Homme (gourmand; good for most occasions)
    Lush Breath of God (smoky vetiver, avant-garde; good for more casual/fresh weather)
    Bulgari Black (plush rubbery; for evening, going out, perhaps even work)
    Chanel Egoiste (smooth sandalwoody, warm, elegant, general purpose)
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver or Guerlain Vetiver (fresh, for hot weather)

Niche (usually, but not always, more expensive)
    Knize Ten (reference leather; for cold weather or formal occasions)
    Caron Yatagan (vegetal woody, very masculine; all purpose). Knize Ten and Yatagan are relatively cheap.
    CDG2 Man (lemony incensy; avantgarde, casual or work, especially summer).
    Malle Vetiver extraordinaire (very fresh vetiver, for summer) or Sycomore (smoky vetiver; also fresh but more formal)
    Muscs Koublai Khan or Kurkdjian Absolue pour le soir (dirty musks; for evening and bedroom)
    Amouage Gold Man (enormous floral incense; for very formal occasions and big evenings)

cacio

Yves Saint Laurent's L'Homme

Wow. I can see I've a lot to learn.

Yes, but you asked a great question for all of us beginners. As far as I can tell selecting the warming scents seems to be easier than getting the summer wear right.

YSL L'homme is great for all seasons and day and night.

I would suggest that right off the bat you dont buy into the notion that you have to wear different frags at certain times of the year, or save them for days or nights, or the beach, or black tie events, or cross country skiing.

Just start out reading about things that sound interesting and sampling them if you can when ever you go out shopping. Since you live in a world class city you are lucky to have access to every fragrance talked about on this site. Have fun!

Try Chanel Egoiste, Tiffany for Men, Rive Gauche pour Homme, Azzaro pour Homme. Creed Green Irish Tweed and Millesime Imperial.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

If I had to limit myself to 5 all purpose fragrances, mine would be:

Gengis Khan
    Siecle
    Gatsby
    Balafre
    Formidable

Sound Scents

Welcome Dave!

If you have a budget, it would be helpful if you would list it so we can make recommendations that you can (or are willing to) afford. If money is no object, then see my top 10 in my signature.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Welcome!
    As usual, suggestions will change depending on budget, but to start. Regular price, non-niche:
    Dior Homme (gourmand; good for most occasions)
    Lush Breath of God (smoky vetiver, avant-garde; good for more casual/fresh weather)
    Bulgari Black (plush rubbery; for evening, going out, perhaps even work)
    Chanel Egoiste (smooth sandalwoody, warm, elegant, general purpose)
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver or Guerlain Vetiver (fresh, for hot weather)

Niche (usually, but not always, more expensive)
    Knize Ten (reference leather; for cold weather or formal occasions)
    Caron Yatagan (vegetal woody, very masculine; all purpose). Knize Ten and Yatagan are relatively cheap.
    CDG2 Man (lemony incensy; avantgarde, casual or work, especially summer).
    Malle Vetiver extraordinaire (very fresh vetiver, for summer) or Sycomore (smoky vetiver; also fresh but more formal)
    Muscs Koublai Khan or Kurkdjian Absolue pour le soir (dirty musks; for evening and bedroom)
    Amouage Gold Man (enormous floral incense; for very formal occasions and big evenings)

cacio
    Thanks for the suggestions, Cacio. I will very much enjoy tracking these fragrances down and trying them on.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Welcome Dave!

If you have a budget, it would be helpful if you would list it so we can make recommendations that you can (or are willing to) afford. If money is no object, then see my top 10 in my signature.
    Hi drseid,

I wouldn't say money is no object; it's always a consideration, but I think I can afford at least some of the niche colognes provided I don't have to buy them all today. I don't yet have a very clear understanding of what it may cost me to have the fragrances I prefer. I'd be very happy to discover that the $5.00 Ode to Hockey cologne at the local hardware store is my favourite, but if it turns out my preference cuts a little deeper into the billfold - that's O.K. too. A budget never really occurred to me so I am curious to know what you might consider a list of fragrances affordable to someone on a restrictive budget. Is it fairly safe to say that with cologne you get what you pay for?

Price doesn't correlate well with quality, but still, most niche and parfum concentrations are very expensive, so in general one has to spend some money. I'd say $100/bottle is probably the minimum for most niche (bottles can vary in size though).

Some of the excellent mainstream suggestions above can be had very cheaply (especially at places like TJ Maxx, Marshalls et, where however you cannot smell). My favorite cheapies are some perfume sticks by Lush (Breath of God, Dirty), which go for about $15, and Stetson original (floral oriental).

cacio

Aaaaah, another list . . . like a moth to a flame. I'm also in my 50s, not that it really matters, but then again it might. Some personal favourites, probably leaning more to the conservative side:

Colonia (Acqua di Parma) or Eau de Guerlain for a bright citrus EDC.
    Caron Pour Homme. It's a classic lavender to splash on with a twist.
    Bleu de Chanel. Yes, you will have 'smelled it before', but in terms of executing a simple idea very, very well, Chanel have nailed it. All purpose summer vibe. Green Irish Tweed is another option.
    Granville (Dior) if you can find a Dior flagship store selling the Private Collection line. Herbal, piney, garrigue. Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi is not a million miles away in intent but not so easy to find.
    Guerlain Vetiver is a classic, I actually quite like the new Dior.
    Derby (Guerlain) probably one of the best out there - just read the reviews, nothing I can add. With the new packaging it may become more readily available.
    Tiffany for Men, a classic, dressy but understated oriental, or shoot for L'Air du Desert Morocain from Andy Tauer for something modern.
    Check out one of the CdG Incense Series - Avignon or Kyoto, or maybe Timbuktu from L'Artisan.
    Try Habit Rouge (Guerlain) if you can for something a bit different as well.

Just try as many as you can - Guerlain and Frederic Malle are good lines to start with. Happy hunting!
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 8th March 2012 at 07:02 AM.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Doji Dave View Post
    Hi drseid,

I wouldn't say money is no object; it's always a consideration, but I think I can afford at least some of the niche colognes provided I don't have to buy them all today. I don't yet have a very clear understanding of what it may cost me to have the fragrances I prefer. I'd be very happy to discover that the $5.00 Ode to Hockey cologne at the local hardware store is my favourite, but if it turns out my preference cuts a little deeper into the billfold - that's O.K. too. A budget never really occurred to me so I am curious to know what you might consider a list of fragrances affordable to someone on a restrictive budget. Is it fairly safe to say that with cologne you get what you pay for?
    Certainly I understand that if you can find inexpensive gems that also happen to cater to your tastes that would be more desirable (I agree)...

My "money is no object list" remains in my signature below, but just for reference, I posted this list of ten scents that were more "affordable" and I'll throw in one more for good measure (in this case under $100 a bottle, although not all are 100ml bottles) in another thread... Some of the same scents that are on my "money is no object" list are found here as well...

Terre d'Hermes (Hermes) about $80 or less online for 100ml bottle of the edt
    Cologne du Parfumeur (Guerlain) retails for $98 for a 100ml bottle at Saks Fifth Ave.
    Giorgio for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills) $25 or less online for a 118ml bottle (this one wins my "best bang for your buck" award)
    New York (Parfums de Nicolai) $45 for a 30ml bottle at luckyscent.com
    Colonia (Acqua di Parma) approximately $85 for a 50ml bottle online
    Fahrenheit (Dior) $50 or less for a 50ml or $70 for a 100ml bottle online
    Tiffany for Men (Tiffany) $60 for a 50ml or $95 for a 100ml bottle direct from Tiffany.com
    Comme des Garçons 2 (CdG) $95 for a 50ml bottle at luckyscent.com
    Rochas Man (Rochas) approximately $30 for a 50ml bottle or $45 for a 100ml online
    Knize Ten $70 for a 50ml bottle at luckyscent.com
    Encre Noir (Lalique) approximately $45 for a 100ml bottle online

Luckyscent.com sells inexpensive samples of almost all the scents they sell. All the designer scents can be sampled for free in retail stores (or cheap eBay samples are available for all of them).

Good luck!
    Last edited by drseid; 7th February 2012 at 04:51 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I second cacio's Lush perfume recommendation. I love their Orange Blossom, Vanillary, Breath of God, Dirty and 1000 Kisses. As you are from the barren land of Toronto, there aren't many places to look for niche fragrances, sadly!! I just bought samples from the Perfumed Court though (website that sells decants), and I find that is a good way to try a lot of things at once.

Banned
    Blog Entries

All purpose is usually something that can be distilled down to one or two frags. Bois du Portugal by Creed is one that comes to mind on the expensive end. Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur is another, on the cheap (but still high quality) side. Why not get one for special occasions and the other for everyday life?

Quote Originally Posted by Renard View Post
    Sycomore - smoky vetiver
    Muscs Koublai Khan - floral musk
    Vetiver Extraordinaire - all vetiver
    Egoiste - spicy wood
    Antaeus - powerhouse
    M7 - Mossy oud
    Azzaro pour Homme - fougere king
    Rive Gauche pour Homme - barbershop
    Aramis - classic
    Millesime Imperial - light + pretty
    Thanks, Renard.
    Interesting list. I've been reading about your picks and I'm looking forward to putting a few of them under my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post

I would suggest that right off the bat you dont buy into the notion that you have to wear different frags at certain times of the year, or save them for days or nights, or the beach, or black tie events, or cross country skiing...
    Hi heperd. Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to try some of your suggestions. I've been thinking about your comment on not buying into the notion of wearing a different fragrance to suit a season or occasion. I'm starting to see how choosing a fragrance is more an intuitive, personal thing and not so much a hard, fast rule thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doji Dave View Post
    Thanks, Renard.
    Interesting list. I've been reading about your picks and I'm looking forward to putting a few of them under my nose.
    No prob I look forward to hearing your reviews.

Banned

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior - distinctively beautiful
    Sel Marin by Heeley - seaside illusion
    Black Tourmaline by Olivier Durbano - mysterious and intense
    Sycomore by Chanel - elegance
    Absolue Pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian - arousing and seductive
    Derring-Do for Men by Ineke - rainwater freshness
    Antidote by Viktor & Rolf - one-stop wonder
    Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari - classy tea
    Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - pleasantly refreshing
    Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens - captivating tobacco

Gucci Pour Homme II -relaxing year round tea scent
    Chanel Allure Homme - classy/warm/slightly complex cool weather
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport - fresh/likeable warm weather scent
    Dior Homme - smooth/light classy coco
    Creed Green Irish Tweed - fresh spring
    Dior Fahrenheit - slightly dirty/outgoing
    Burburry London - holiday season scent
    Boss #6 - comforting
    JPG Le Male - loud/obnouxious
    YSL La Nuit de L'homme - pleasant/cooler weather

Guerlainista

Lots of great suggestions already, but I can't resist ...

Habit Rouge EDT - bright, sweet, oriental (also the best men's fragrance ever made - all hail JP Guerlain! )
    Egoïste - warm, as Red put it somewhere "roses in a sandalwood box"
    Rive Gauche - clean, grassy (sort of)
    Dior Homme - iris ... gorgeous
    Acqua di Parma Colonia - citrusy barbershop, my wife goes crazy for this stuff
    Jicky EDP - slightly skanky lavender and vanilla, simple, but sexy as a mofo
    Knize Ten - leather. James Dean wore it. Badass
    Rochas Man - a good, cheap, easy to like gourmand. Or A*Men - better but less likeable
    New York, by Parfums de Nicolaï - its just good. Orange trees, moss, amber ... Hell, I don't know, but I love it. "Empire State of Mind" by Alicia Keys gets stuck in my head all day when I wear it, but thats ok.
    Ambre Sultan - gotta have a straight-up amber, and this is the best of them. Amber with a very nice herbal blast in the beginning.

Most of those are under $100.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am new too so I can't recommend 10 but here are a few.

Like others have said, and I will second this...

Fahrenheit
    Aqua Di Gio
    Green Irish Tweed
    Burberry London

&

I haven't heard this one mentioned - Polo (original green bottle and gold cap). This stuff smells like a pine forest x10. I'm 24 and I love it and think I pull it off well, but an older gent such as yourself should settle in real nicely with it if you like it that is.

This is a great thread (going to tell hubby to look at this one...). Does anyone have recommendations for female fragrances answering the same question? What would an all-purpose ten fragrance collection for women look like that covers all the bases?

As a fellow beginner - I have listed a strictly designer top 10 without any craziness that could be hard to handle (until your nose has developed a bit more).

Fahrenheit
    Boss Bottled
    L'Instant De Guerlain Pour Homme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Aventus
    Rive Gauche
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Dior Homme Sport
    Chanel Allure Homme
    Burberry London

Great suggestions everyone, especially on vetivers, that helps me a lot!

My short list:

Dior Homme- very elegant, just such a great starter gourmand
    Comme des Garcon 2 Man- a quintessential and almost stereotypical wood, with incense and candle wax
    Green Irish Tweed- great blue oxford type of citrus with verbana
    Burberry London- great winter scent, no brainer
    Egoiste- unique, a little spicy, floral, all purpose, another no brainer and probably as close to a full-on floral as a starter collection needs imo
    Sycomore- to me this is the most wearable and pleasant vetiver, since I'm just not a vetiver person
    L'Air du desert Marocain- a dryer earth, I'd take this over Terre
    Pure Havane- the A*Mens to me are the most unique fragrances period
    Black Aoud- it's gotta be a Montale Aoud
    Musc Ravageur or Dzing- I'm DEFINITELY not a musc person but if you are try one of these

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by lex5 View Post
    This is a great thread (going to tell hubby to look at this one...). Does anyone have recommendations for female fragrances answering the same question? What would an all-purpose ten fragrance collection for women look like that covers all the bases?
    You should really ask this one in the Female fragrance forum - I think many of the Basenotes goddess/gurus don't venture into the JSO forum regularly. If you start the thread there, the mods may move it here, but I think it will leave a link so the ladies can see it and respond.

Masculines are a pretty small world compared to feminines. I don't think there's any way to cover all the bases with 10 feminine fragrances for women. You can't really do it for men either, but at least you can entertain the idea.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post

I would suggest that right off the bat you dont buy into the notion that you have to wear different frags at certain times of the year, or save them for days or nights, or the beach, or black tie events, or cross country skiing.

Just start out reading about things that sound interesting and sampling them if you can when ever you go out shopping.
    Couldn't agree with this more....many people get caught up in this fragrance is a summer scent, this fragrance is a winter scent. It's all about application.

May I add Boss Bottled to the list of fragrances, that are good year round. 2 sprays in spring/summer....4 in winter/fall.