Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default a clear perspective: looking from the outside

fragrance collectors are minority.

probably less than 10% of people collect and analyze fragrances. and only <1% have a serious collection.

so when we post in here, we are getting a perspective that is different from most.

i often compare it to a computer nerd or automobile collector.

a computer nerd may have 16 gb of ram when only 4 is necessary. or 5 tb of data which is excessive.

someone may have a sports car but no one needs a car that goes 140 mph.

and fragrance collectors have 50-100 fragrances when only 2-8 are needed.

people within a specific field of interest often assert their elitism over others who arent as obsessed with them, often by bashing mainstream fragrances.

Default Re: a clear perspective: looking from the outside

Good analysis! You're right in a lot of ways, but I think even the most serious collectors on this forum appreciate their Diors, Chanels, and YSLs as much as their Amouages and Lutens. For this particular forum we're pretty lucky to have a very open-minded and relatively non-elitist crowd. Even a super popular scent like AdG doesn't get bashed too much, in fact it gets recommended a lot. And in general the people here are just super nice!

Banned
    Blog Entries

thats very good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    and only <1% have a serious collection.

people within a specific field of interest often assert their elitism over others who aren't as obsessed with them, often by bashing mainstream fragrances.
    I'm in the <1% with almost 1300 large bottles of fragrances in my collection but I don't assert any elitism over others. My collection runs the gamut from the insanely expensive to the the cheapest of the cheapest mass-market scents. From the obscure to the well-known mainstream scents. And while I might be considered obsessed with fragrances given the number I own, I would never think to fault others who aren't.

I agree with some of your points but I'm not understanding what point you were trying to make / what discussion you were trying to start.

Can you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I'm in the <1% with almost 1300 large bottles of fragrances in my collection but I don't assert any elitism over others. My collection runs the gamut from the insanely expensive to the the cheapest of the cheapest mass-market scents. From the obscure to the well-known mainstream scents. And while I might be considered obsessed with fragrances given the number I own, I would never think to fault others who aren't.
    Yeah well others who aren't (obsessed with fragrances) will think to fault you for your obsession. Admittedly, I used to be one of those people..not even that long ago. I couldn't understand why one would spend sooo much $ on bottle after bottle when it could be spent (donated) more wisely. I own 8 bottles...which is about a 400% increase in the past few months...yeah I am gonna slow down. I do however understand the fascination and desire to collect, something I didn't use to.

I would be classed as a computer nerd. I have multiple computers and work in software development. 16GB RAM is needed in our profession though for rendering and running certain programs that we use every day. 16GB is actually a low amount in the performance sector, see there I go, being a nerd lol. For the average person, 4GB is way more than plenty.

I suppose every passion has it's extremes. I have gone from 1 fragrance to 32 within the past 3 months.
    Top 10 at the moment:

1.Kouros
    2.Terre D'Hermes
    3.Fahrenheit
    4.Creed Royal Oud
    5.Eau Sauvage
    6.Dior Homme Sport
    7.Creed Bois du Portugal
    8.Givency PI
    9.Dior Homme
    10.Ralph Lauren Polo Blue