Code of Conduct

Thread: Body Washes

Default Body Washes

hey guys, what is the DL on fragrance based body washes--are they worth their price? I'm thinking about purchasing Rive Gauche PH body wash but I want something I'll actually be able to smell on me at least a couple hours later.

Default Re: Body Washes

I don't find the scents last more than a few minutes after I'm out of the shower.

thanks

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Bϊzios

Another negative.

Nope, the scent last a few hrs at the most. Total waste of money.

If I come across a scent I like at Winners I will pick up that body wash and treat myself.
    I will say, although the A*Men body wash doesn't last on your skin per se, I must say it is true to form and provides a nice, olfactory indulgence to a shower.

I am on the look out for Burberry London shower gel to turn up again. I am kicking myself for not grabbing it when I had the chance

In my experience I find scented body washes are useful if you're attempting to layer your fragerance. Make sure it's the same fragerance as your parfum or cologne otherwise always use an unscented brand. Also, remember to use an unscented deodorant as well. Kiehls makes high quality body washes you can find online or Nordstrom.

In some cases, the body wash smells better than the cologne itself. Polo Blue and Dolce & Gabbana PH body wash for example somehow smells even nicer than the cologne itself. The Spicebomb body was smells GREAT.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Do you go shopping for clothes at the Mercedes Dealership? You could (they sell clothes) but you woulnd't. The same practice applies here. Buy a perfume from a perfume house and a body wash from a body wash bottega (L'Occitane is excellent).
    for swap/sale:

No.

I've never used fragrance body wash before. I usually use dog shampoo as a body wash. I would like to try the Bulgari Black and Salvador Dali shower gels, though. They would be especially nice to leave around for guests.

I've used Philosykos body wash and although it smells nice, the scent doesn't last long and it isn't justified for the expensive price. I really see no point in using the fragrance body wash since one particular body wash will have to couple with one particular fragrance to prevent scent clashing and I'm not a fan of buying a bunch of body washes for my fragrances. General/normal body wash is fine for me

I enjoy the matching body washes that I've tried. Most last a few hours on me. I use them when I plan on wearing that scent for the day, of course, but perhaps the best use of them is when I take a shower before bed and want to be only lightly fragranced for the brief period before I fall asleep.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    I've never used fragrance body wash before. I usually use dog shampoo as a body wash. I would like to try the Bulgari Black and Salvador Dali shower gels, though. They would be especially nice to leave around for guests.
    The Dali shower gel is pretty potent stuff. Smells very close to the juice. Good good stuff!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by 10dadeo View Post
    hey guys, what is the DL on fragrance based body washes--are they worth their price? I'm thinking about purchasing Rive Gauche PH body wash but I want something I'll actually be able to smell on me at least a couple hours later.
    Just type SHOWER GELS in the Search box and you'll find several Threads - there's quite a lot of comments about this.

Some that I have tried and found do the trick:

Creed Original Vetiver
    Acqua di Parma
    Terre d'Hermes
    Shalimar (Vetiver & Habit Rouge were a disappointment)

L'Occitane Citrus Verbena is excellent for summer.

If you want something that lasts 2 hours I suggest you stick with the perfumes, these are basically scented liquid soaps.

Recently came across this one - the Shower Gel and Hand Soap (not pictured) are superb.

Last edited by mr. reasonable; 11th June 2012 at 09:55 AM.

I agree with most, as most body washes I have tried were only pleasant while in the shower. I don't think any of them had any longevity on me. But think about it.. you're putting it on.. then washing it off..

I like body washes that smell fresh like Burt's Bees peppermint or rosemary; or Lush Gorilla Perfumes "Dirty" with rosemary and mint. Either of these leaves a slight freshness to whatever fragrance I wear and the fragrance of the body wash tends to disappear anyway so I just go for what smells good in the shower. The absolute worst body washes in my opinion are the Axe fragrances because they smell very synthetic and are strong enough to affect whatever else you might want to wear.
    favorites: • l'homme infini divine • heely eau sacree • heely phoenicia • nasomatto pardon • editions f. malle monsieur • mississippi medicine • "on the road" • electric wood • boudicea the victorious chelsea • guerlain neroli outrenoir • tf vert boheme • tf vert de bois • memo african leather • eau des sens •

You aren't supposed to use designer shower gel as a typical shower gel/ body wash.

Designer shower gel is meant for layering of scent. Just before the end of your shower, put a tiny bit of designer shower gel on a sponge, get out of the stream of water, apply all over so that it enters skin pores, lower the hot water, and jump back under and rinse the gel's lather off quickly.

The scent is now trapped in the skin pores and will come out slowly over the next four hours or so. You can now apply the same scent as an EDT, and perhaps add another layer of the same scent by using matching after shave lotion or balm.

Used in this way, designer shower gel will last you for ages, and may be a good purchase. But if you intend using it like Palmolive or other shower gels (i.e. to actually clean yourself), it's an absolute waste of money. The same applies to scented designer soap bars.

I don't have the Rive Guache one, but have a couple of dozen others. All work well on me when applied in the manner I describe.

Also, please note that the technique I describe above was in the Frequently Asked Questions section at the main Basenotes site when I first joined. It is fairly common knowledge among women, but for some unknown reason, it keeps being forgotten among males.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Blog Entries

body washes are great to experiment with, mix and match your bargain type like axe, irish spring and such up to B*Men.

I like to use axe's dark temptation before applying something like Givenchy's most awesome Very Irresistible!
    Heno de Pravia has a body wash with an amazing life span but does have the baby scent note to it, longevity added maybe because of the olive oil

also: trader joe's tea trea/tingling body wash is a great "base" scent for citrus/floral scents.....IMHO

people say Mugler's Cologne sorta smells like Irish Spring soap, I'm tempted to try I.S.'s body wash before applying muglers cologne...........................

live it up.!
    Currently wearing: McGraw by Tim McGraw

I'd rather choose and unscented or very lightly scented body wash and simply create a neutral basis for any scent

However, I'm not saying it's the best or the only approach

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    You aren't supposed to use designer shower gel as a typical shower gel/ body wash.

Designer shower gel is meant for layering of scent. Just before the end of your shower, put a tiny bit of designer shower gel on a sponge, get out of the stream of water, apply all over so that it enters skin pores, lower the hot water, and jump back under and rinse the gel's lather off quickly.

The scent is now trapped in the skin pores and will come out slowly over the next four hours or so. You can now apply the same scent as an EDT, and perhaps add another layer of the same scent by using matching after shave lotion or balm.

Used in this way, designer shower gel will last you for ages, and may be a good purchase. But if you intend using it like Palmolive or other shower gels (i.e. to actually clean yourself), it's an absolute waste of money. The same applies to scented designer soap bars.

I don't have the Rive Guache one, but have a couple of dozen others. All work well on me when applied in the manner I describe.

Also, please note that the technique I describe above was in the Frequently Asked Questions section at the main Basenotes site when I first joined. It is fairly common knowledge among women, but for some unknown reason, it keeps being forgotten among males.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    +1. Don't use it on your legs and back and what not. What's the point? I use a little bit on my chest, arms and neck - I just squirt a quarter sized dab into my hand and rub it in that way as I think it's more potent then than if it's properly sudsed up with a sponge or washcloth. A 3.3 ounce bottle of body wash can last years this way. You use maybe 1/16th of an ounce w/ each use, and if you're only wearing the scent once every week or two.. well, you do the math. It lasts a long time.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

The best I have tried is Dali (the original black one for men).

The only way I would buy a matching body wash is if it were included in a gift set. I find that those are often the same price or cheaper than buying the same volume bottle of fragrance on its own.
    "Flagrantly fragrant and they can't escape me. My perfume pursued them everywhere that they went.
    You don't want a loan, leave my cologne alone. It's a little too strong for you to be putting on".
    - Lupe Fiasco

I've tons of designer shower gels, the one that lasts the most is Dior Homme and it also makes the skin look and feel fantastic. However, i don't care about the scent and i am not restocking.

Try Infusion de Vetiver...I find it lasts longer than a lot of body washes.

Try Infusion de Vetiver...I find it lasts longer than a lot of body washes.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    +1. Don't use it on your legs and back and what not. What's the point? I use a little bit on my chest, arms and neck - I just squirt a quarter sized dab into my hand and rub it in that way as I think it's more potent then than if it's properly sudsed up with a sponge or washcloth. A 3.3 ounce bottle of body wash can last years this way. You use maybe 1/16th of an ounce w/ each use, and if you're only wearing the scent once every week or two.. well, you do the math. It lasts a long time.
    Actually, I do apply to legs and back and hair. At the rate I use my designer body gels I'll be dead before I get through a third of them. So when I do apply them for scent purposes, I try to really apply them - everywhere.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I like Dove body washes as a whole. Not sure I would really look to spend the money on a fragrances accompanying body wash. I've heard people say you can make your own by putting a small amount of fragrance in a pure, unscented/lightly scented body wash. Never tried it though.
    WANTED
    samples of:

Amouge Bracken Man
    MDCI Le Barbier de Tangier
    Mancera Wild Fruits

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post

Cheers,
    Renato
    Thanks for this! It makes a lot of sense. I've just been trying not to rinse too thoroughly, but I will try this instead.

I have a few gels - AdP Colonia Intensa, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, and Heritage. I also have a sample of A*Men.

Rive Gauche is a great value - the big bottles can be had pretty cheaply, and the scent matches the EdT very well. I thought the Guerlain ones were a bit lacking, but they're "vintage" - maybe the scent fades over time? The A*Men was quite nice.

My wife has a Shalimar Satin Shower Gel that is fantastic!

I always use them when layering with the same scent. I think it helps with longevity a bit.

With Habit Rouge, I layer like a mofo. I use the shower gel, after shave balm (on days I shave), deodorant spray, and EdC after showering. Then I spray EdT or EdP into my shirt after I dress.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -