Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thumbs down New Haarlem -- Most Overrated Fragrance

I am just stunned.

Stunned at just how overrated and bad this fragrance is, and perplexed at the frag heads and reviews it's received here and among the afore mentioned frag aficionados.

I got New Haarlem in the mail today and extremely disappointed. It just smells cheap and terrible- exactly like a $5 meal of IHOP pancakes loaded with maple syrup, or creme brulee, or custard. It does not smell like class, like Tobacco Vanille, which I own.

NH is showered with positive reviews and it's gourmand quality, and I imagined something like TV. What I got out of it was terrible, terrible, terrible. I do not want to smell like maple syrup. I can just buy a bottle of maple syrup and smell like NH.

I simply cannot FATHOM how anyone can appreciate this "fragrance." My Trader Joe's Oatmeal and Honey soap, costing all of $1.69, is heavenly compared to the syrupy, dirty smell of NH. (I would definitely buy a scent that smelled like the TJ Oatmeal and Honey soap, now that's a gourmand smell I like) It is like there's some huge joke going on.

I LOVE TV, I own L'Air Du Desert Marocain, and love the fresh Creed scents ( Aventus , SMW, MI). The only reaction you can get from NH is ... 'Did you eat pancakes ?'

Question(s) to NH owners or supporters :

1) Why not just buy a bottle of maple syrup ?

2) Why do you want to smell like pancakes ? The scent is a turn-off, people will think you forgot to wash your hands.

3) What do you use it for ? The smell itself is crap. Doesn't matter how cold it is, it just smells like cheap syrup.

4) Is there some kind of Reality Distortion Field (RDF) I'm unaware of, akin to the Apple RDF ? Do you know what a pancake and syrup tastes like ?

Lessons learned ? Try before you buy. Second lesson - Read the negative reviews carefully and take note of them.

N.B -- Gave the bottle to my cousin, not for sale.
    Last edited by themoogle; 7th March 2012 at 06:49 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Haarlem -- Most Overrated Fragrance

I agree that it's overrated, to me it just kind of smells like coffee and chocolate. But you need to calm down lol. You kind of just jumped to the conclusion that everyone else is dumb and you're the only smart one. Not trying to put you down at all, but you could've just said "New Haarlem is overrated, what does everyone else think".

I don't get any coffee out of it.

I am going to go buy a few brands of maple syrup at Ralph's and say which one it smells closest to.

Quote Originally Posted by icanzapyou View Post
    I agree that it's overrated, to me it just kind of smells like coffee and chocolate. But you need to calm down lol. You kind of just jumped to the conclusion that everyone else is dumb and you're the only smart one. Not trying to put you down at all, but you could've just said "New Haarlem is overrated, what does everyone else think".
    If i just said that, it'd be kind of boring.

I like debate and I am furious with every individual who gave it a positive review. I would have choice words and give mean looks to anyone involved in hyping this maple syrup brand .

Bond No 9 "New Maple Syrup"

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

You are "furious" with people who gave it a positive review???

I reckon the reviews were mostly made by Bond employees or an outside contracted agency hired by Bond to hype the product online.

I can still smell it on my hand. Need to take a shower and put on some Tobacco Vanille.

Quote Originally Posted by icanzapyou View Post
    Nah, I think strong opinions are good, even if their negative. That's how he feels, why should he moderate what he says - is the fragrance going to be offended? If any people are offended by someone not liking a fragrance you like.. well, they simply need to grow a thicker skin, or better yet, respond with rebuttals to the complaints.

I have to agree that I don't get the love for this scent at all. It's a sweet gourmand, but it's so crudely obvious with its intentions. It's a fragrance that 'gives it up' on the first date. Enjoyable, in some superficial way I guess, but hard to respect.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by themoogle View Post
    If i just said that, it'd be kind of boring.

I like debate and I am furious with every individual who gave it a positive review. I would have choice words and give mean looks to anyone involved in hyping this maple syrup brand .

Bond No 9 "New Maple Syrup"
    I stand by what I said in my previous post, but that bolded bit above is a bit over the top, though. You should be furious for yourself for blind buying it, perhaps. People like what they like and it's not like they were out to intentionally deceive you.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

OP has zero taste. Go back to Bleu!
    My top 16:

1. Joop! - Homme 2. Puredistance - M
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco vanille 4. Tom Ford - Neroli portofino
    5. Tauer - L'air de desert marocaine 6. Armani Privé - Ambre orient
    7. Bond - Harrod's oud 8. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    9. Parf. Brückner - Aoud 1 10. Clive Christian - X
    11.Xerjoff - Regio 12. Lush - Breath of God
    13. M.Micaleff - Art collec. 102 14. Armani Privé - Figuier eden
    15. Nasomatto - Pardon 16. Heeley - Oranges and lemons ...

People were talking about a coffee element to it, but there is no coffee smell in it at all.

Does NOT smell like a 'coffee shop' like some reviewers claim.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndySais View Post
    OP has zero taste. Go back to Bleu!
    That's interesting, because I own 3 & 5 (TV and L'Air) of your top 16 and enjoy them.

Thus .. ergo ... if I have no taste ... (complete the sentence)

Also, you must not have maple syrup in Germany .. hence, new olfactory experience.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Nah, I think strong opinions are good, even if their negative. That's how he feels, why should he moderate what he says - is the fragrance going to be offended? If any people are offended by someone not liking a fragrance you like.. well, they simply need to grow a thicker skin, or better yet, respond with rebuttals to the complaints.

I have to agree that I don't get the love for this scent at all. It's a sweet gourmand, but it's so crudely obvious with its intentions. It's a fragrance that 'gives it up' on the first date. Enjoyable, in some superficial way I guess, but hard to respect.
    No totally I agree that he can say whatever he wants, but tbh I'm a little surprised anyone would be so incensed by this. But hey, freedom of speech, Amurica man

You do not see why someone would be incensed at a 120 buck cologne smelling like 3 buck maple syrup ?

sheesh.

I say to each of his own. I personally haven't smelled NH but from the association with Rochas Man, I don't think I will like it. Fragrances are very subjective and my only advice for you is do not believe the hype and buy blind, especially expensive niche

Post Thanks / Like

Well.....ummmmm....Welcome to Basenotes!!
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Post Thanks / Like

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

All kidding aside - Don't blind buy (on the basis of reviews) if you're going to overreact like this.
    I'm sure there are some perfumes that have high ratings that you don't like. Why should it be any different for NH?
    Looking For (less than 50mL)
    YSL - La Nuit de L'Homme
    Creed - Green Irish Tweed

For Sale PACKAGE DEALS:
    -http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...-CAN-Preferred
    -http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...le-Decant-40ml (SWAP)

PM!

Post Thanks / Like

Obvious troll is obvious

Come at me breh.

Real talk ... a lot of the reviews are just inaccurate and plain deceptive.

I blind bought Aventus, TV, and L'Air, all slam dunks and good to go. I just sent some death threats to hiro and some Youtube guys hyping NH (the Bronx dude?) and ordered lots of pizza to their homes.

I'm not trolling, that's my actual opinion.

Wit and dry humor does not equate to troll.

Post Thanks / Like

Real talk ... a lot of the reviews are just inaccurate and plain deceptive.
    Well, scents are very subjective, IMO. People can easily have different views on the same fragrance. You say a lot of reviews/comments are inaccurate -- why is yours "better" or more accurate?

In the end, stats will prevail - if the majority says that they liked it and that it smelled like "coffee", am I more likely to believe the minority who said it didn't? Probably not.
    Does this mean I'll undoubtedly "like" the smell, and get coffee out of it? No, because stats don't mean anything on the individual level. It's just a probability.

Don't blind buy, if you can't handle the disappointment.
    Looking For (less than 50mL)
    YSL - La Nuit de L'Homme
    Creed - Green Irish Tweed

For Sale PACKAGE DEALS:
    -http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...-CAN-Preferred
    -http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...le-Decant-40ml (SWAP)

PM!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

You do not see why someone would be incensed at a 120 buck cologne smelling like 3 buck maple syrup ?

sheesh.
    Well no man but I feel like it's a given that this is your opinion and that's it. I agree with you in a lot of ways but I don't feel the need to be a raging asshole about it (no offense), nor do I put down other people who disagree. Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool that you're expressing your opinions. Anyway peace out.

I honestly am not putting anyone down, no one even came here and explained why they like the scent.

I am really just trying to figure out what anyone can see in it. It doesn't even smell like a fragrance at all.

Even $20 cheap scents, 90% alcohol and synthetic as hell, as least smell more like fragrances.

I don't consider the smell of maple syrup a fragrance ... would you wear a cologne that smells like curry ?

I'll eat pancakes and syrup once every blue moon, and curry more often, but I don't want to SMELL like it, just eat it.

Post Thanks / Like

would you wear a cologne that smells like curry ?
    You should try Fareb from Huitième Art.

Except that, i really don't like New Haarlem.

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon the reviews were mostly made by Bond employees or an outside contracted agency hired by Bond to hype the product online.

I can still smell it on my hand. Need to take a shower and put on some Tobacco Vanille.
    LOL. Never knew that I was subconsciously working for Bond No 9. Perhaps I should ask for a pay rise.

Like what others have said, don't blind buy if you can't handle the disappointment. There are numerous opportunities to buy a split or a sample vial either from Basenotes Sales forum, or from reputable online shops. First In Fragrance is one such place.

And erm, welcome to Basenotes lol.

I find Rochas Man to be more to my taste than New Haarlem.

Post Thanks / Like

Same for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Another overrated American fragrance on Basenotes (Dirty English, Michael for men, Safari, Tommy Girl..), you don't say? *takes troll hat off*

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a sample and thought it was overrated too, I liked it but didn't care enough for it to buy a whole bottle. That was until I saw a 50ml bottle at bargain price which I couldn't turn down; once I'd worn it a few times I grew to love it, and I've received nothing but compliments from those around me, one woman in particular going crazy for it. Not my favourite fragrance, but a very good scent nonetheless.

Some people prefer unbalanced to balanced frags, and vice versa. Some people like sweet frags but not dry ones, and vice versa. It's important to figure out what you like and don't (by sampling) before you spend a lot, unless you're rich and don't care. There is "hype" for certain frags here at BN, but that's to be expected, as certain frags are the "stars" for at least a while, just like a reality show can start with "nobodies" and some of them become "celebrities." I tend to blame myself rather than others in this kind of situation, saying myself, "I knew there was a lot of hype over this one, and it may not be anything special." When you think like that, the world is a let less frustrating place! Also, I've posted about NH having that lavender/gourmand quality that I find really unappealing, so don't say you everyone here said it's great. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not trolling, that's my actual opinion.

Wit and dry humor does not equate to troll.
    Nothing witty or humorous about it. More like a childish anger fit.
    People perceive the notes of a fragrance differently and it will always be a personal and subjective experience to smell a fragrance.
    Instead of being angry at the reviewers, you should look inwards since you bought without sampling. Blind buying is hit and miss, and will always carry a risk. You have to accept and live with the risk or stop blind buying.

I blind buy a lot myself and if I do not like the fragrance - c'est la vie. I move on and bash myself a bit for blind buying since I TOOK THE RISK. That's my opinion anyway.
    - Mark

ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

This scent seems to have its avid fans and detractors. I personally do not like this scent but understand and respect those who do.

Post Thanks / Like

New Harlem bored the pants off me and since I can't leave my apartment without my pants, I simply gave up on it.
    Last edited by morrison74; 7th March 2012 at 12:07 PM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I think NH is a good scent, but to much lavander in it for me. Oh yeah, this is not gourmand

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Most overated? haha. Its all a matter of opinion and everyone has their own. Out of the most hyped up scents on basenotes, I do like pure malt, DHI. New haarlem to me is pretty good because I like sweet scents. LIDGE is unique and i like it somewhat especially drydown. Still need to try aventus but musc ravageur to me doesnt smell anything close to being pleasant.

Post Thanks / Like

New Haarlem smells awesome! You may have a fake, or your skin does not react well with it. Why would you imagine something that smelled like TV, TV is a tobacco scent?!? You are making TV to be this remarkable scent. New Haarlem receives a ton of complements among women, while TV does not. If you only smell syrup and no coffee, you may have a bad nose.

Now on the other hand L'Air Du Desert Marocain and SMW can be considered Overrated. Both are quite boring to me
    Last edited by Dark Caesar; 7th March 2012 at 11:58 AM.

To each his own. I think TV smells cheap and is way way overrated. I had a 5ml sample for about 3-4 years and only used 1 ml. Also you like Aventus and to me it smells cheap, synthetic, and linear. Keep in mind Creed is my favorite house.

As for New Haarlem, I think it is great. I do not get the maple syrup vibe BUT most reviews I have read states that their is that strong maple syrup smell so you should have known.

Also I do believe that on this forum, there are scents that get overhyped. Rule of thumb is to sample and DO NOT BLIND BUY. I usually don't blind buy unless it is $20 or less which NH is not but I guess if you have the money, it doesn't matter.

I ordered it from fragrancenet, and with all the embossed packaging and the bottle, this is no fake.

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered it from fragrancenet, and with all the embossed packaging and the bottle, this is no fake.
    Why would you blind buy a Niche fragrance based on reviews only? Why not buy a $3 dollar sample first? Seems like a waste of money to be complaining about a popular scent that you could have sampled. ALWAYS SAMPLE BEFORE YOU RANT!

Lesson learned.

$100 maple syrup.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

always sample niche... because of the price and that they are not safe scents like most designers

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

That seems more than a bit far-fetched and I would advise you to not make accusations like that unless you have proof to support the claim.

I dislike many well-loved fragrances here on the board and some I love most here dislike. I think it is important to understand that people have different tastes and we need to respect their opinions even if we don't agree all the time, as discussing things in a reasonable and respectful manner is what makes this board so fun. Your OP is way over-the-top, IMO (and no, I am not a New Haarlem fan for what its worth).
    Last edited by drseid; 7th March 2012 at 12:49 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Post Thanks / Like

Hm, losing your cool is always pretty ridiculous. Why would you blind buy such an expensive fragrance based solely on other people's opinions? Sorry but that's plain dumb, so if you've got to whine about it, do yourself a favor and bite your lip.
    That said, I don't like New Haarlem much either. It's too sweet, siroupy and simple IMO. Happy I only bought a small decant of it and not a whole bottle, lol!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Post Thanks / Like

Lesson learned.

$100 maple syrup.
    Creating a long lasting scent that smells like Natural Maple Syrup is pretty hard to do. And yes, people do want to smell like maple syrup, coffee, soap, chocolate, vanilla, lavender, grass, leather, tobacco, violet, cake, iris, grapefruit, lemon! You name an ingredient and people WANT to smell like it! If that wasn't the case, designers would not make fragrances. I would like to smell like Pineapple upside-cake, but I haven't found a scent that smells like it. Guerlain Spirituese Double Vanille is $250 Vanilla Extract, and it is quite popular. What is your point?
    Last edited by Dark Caesar; 7th March 2012 at 12:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am just stunned.

Stunned at just how overrated and bad this fragrance is, and perplexed at the frag heads and reviews it's received here and among the afore mentioned frag aficionados.

I got New Haarlem in the mail today and extremely disappointed. It just smells cheap and terrible- exactly like a $5 meal of IHOP pancakes loaded with maple syrup, or creme brulee, or custard. It does not smell like class, like Tobacco Vanille, which I own.

NH is showered with positive reviews and it's gourmand quality, and I imagined something like TV. What I got out of it was terrible, terrible, terrible. I do not want to smell like maple syrup. I can just buy a bottle of maple syrup and smell like NH.

I simply cannot FATHOM how anyone can appreciate this "fragrance." My Trader Joe's Oatmeal and Honey soap, costing all of $1.69, is heavenly compared to the syrupy, dirty smell of NH. (I would definitely buy a scent that smelled like the TJ Oatmeal and Honey soap, now that's a gourmand smell I like) It is like there's some huge joke going on.

I LOVE TV, I own L'Air Du Desert Marocain, and love the fresh Creed scents ( Aventus , SMW, MI). The only reaction you can get from NH is ... 'Did you eat pancakes ?'

2) Why do you want to smell like pancakes ? The scent is a turn-off, people will think you forgot to wash your hands.

3) What do you use it for ? The smell itself is crap. Doesn't matter how cold it is, it just smells like cheap syrup.

4) Is there some kind of Reality Distortion Field (RDF) I'm unaware of, akin to the Apple RDF ? Do you know what a pancake and syrup tastes like ?

Lessons learned ? Try before you buy. Second lesson - Read the negative reviews carefully and take note of them.

Love your passion. I enjoyed reading your perspective. I don't agree with you though. I was blown away with New Haarlem the first time I smelled it. I don't get any maple syrup from it. Annick Goutal's Sables is maple syrup to my nose.

Maple syrup notes usually comes from immortelle, not coffee, vanilla and patchouli.

New Haarlem might be slightly overrated here, but still good juice IMO.
    Last edited by thebeck; 7th March 2012 at 02:04 PM.

Lol I've never blind bought a fragrance, and negative and neutral reviews are the best.

Neutral and negative reviews give different perspectives of a fragrance than positive reviews. Most positive reviews are exactly the same.

Always read the negative reviews as well.
    Last edited by frostyicy; 7th March 2012 at 02:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Successful troll is successful.

Post Thanks / Like

I am just stunned.

1) Cause I'm Canadian, and I know what maple syrup actually smells like.

2) Why the hell do you want to smell like a Moroccan Desert?

3) I use it for nights out, where the women absolutely love it. It doesn't smell remotely cheap. No one asked you "did you eat pancakes" when you wore it, you just made that up.

4) Have fun restarting your Windows Operating System every 5 minutes.

Yeah, lessons learned, you f--ked up and blind bought an expensive fragrance. Your bad. Took out your anger on a messageboard. Your bad. Nice of you to buy your cousin an expensive bottle though. Your bad. (again)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I posted here before but somehow couldn't find my post. Anyway, I'll just rewrite what I posted: I like sweet scents, so out of sheer curiousity, I tested New Haarlem when I was in Bloomigdales and learned that it is too sweet and too daring for me. I'll stick with my current gourmands like Rochas Man, Play Intense, etc..

jamwires:

I can see women liking it ... of the horizontally expanded kind.

Post Thanks / Like

I love NH. It was a great blind buy for me. There are some frags that people like, but don't necessary want to smell like. I also hear differing opinions of Ambre Narguile, which I think is excellent, but some people just don't want to smell like cinnamon apple pie. NH also has far better longevity than Mrs. Butterworths. Also less sticky.

Yeah I sampled this once when I was in London ( Bond No. 9 is hard to come across where I live) and I was very disappointed.

The three words which came to mind when I tried it on my skin were, "synthetic", "sticky" and "burnt".

I really enjoy coffee and pancake syrup ( both smell and taste!) but this just came across really cheap and synthetic to me...and cheap she is not!

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly am not putting anyone down, no one even came here and explained why they like the scent.

I am really just trying to figure out what anyone can see in it. It doesn't even smell like a fragrance at all.

Even $20 cheap scents, 90% alcohol and synthetic as hell, as least smell more like fragrances.

I don't consider the smell of maple syrup a fragrance ... would you wear a cologne that smells like curry ?

I'll eat pancakes and syrup once every blue moon, and curry more often, but I don't want to SMELL like it, just eat it.
    Is this the first gourmand frag you have tried or are there others you like? Maybe you just don't like that type of fragrance. I had the same reaction to A*men. I wasn't prepared for it and when I sprayed my hand I was kind of repulsed. Smelled like burnt sugar to me. I didn't think a fragrance should smell like that. Then came the drydown and I loved it. Bought a bottle within the week after I tried it.

Is Tobacco Vanille considered gourmand ?

Love that, and just got it a week ago.

It projects class on my 6"5, 220 lb, 9% bodyfat frame.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

What has that got to do with anything? With that statement you are projecting anything but class my friend.
    Last edited by indianwells; 7th March 2012 at 01:55 PM.

Blind buy from an outfit like Bond -- jeez! I have never done that although I have purchased fragrances and then subsequently used them as room sprays. Rochas or TV over NH every time though. Bond are surprisingly generous with samples but you may have to purchase something first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    I posted here before but somehow couldn't find my post. Anyway, I'll just rewrite what I posted: I like sweet scents, so out of sheer curiousity, I tested New Haarlem when I was in Bloomigdales and learned that it is too sweet and too daring for me. I'll stick with my current gourmands like Rochas Man, Play Intense, etc..
    They don't sell Bond at Bloomingdales.
    Everyone is somebody's weirdo.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I find that it doesn't even smell like GOOD maple syrup. It smells like the cheap Mrs Butterworths stuff. it would be funny if they started selling it in a small Mrs Butterworths shaped bottle though.

lol

I agree with you sir.

Post Thanks / Like

What the hell has that got to do with anything?

My English teacher advised us to try to put as much detail into writing as concisely as possible, hence the description.