Code of Conduct

Default Serge Lutens haul

Good afternoon all.

I got incredibly lucky today purely through having a pleasant conversation with a Sales Associate on the Lutens concession.

I must have spent 20 minutes sampling a variety of the Serge Lutens collection, and decided to purchase a bottle of Chergui.

I'd like to say it was an easy choice, but it really wasn't there are many fabulous fragrances in the collection, and to my utter astonishment, the assistant gifted me half used testers of Ambre Sultan, Gris Clair and Daim Blond.

So I started the day with only a couple of Lutens testers and now have 4 Lutens' fragrances!!

Where do I start, do I go straight with Chergui, or do you consider any of the other 3 more "full bottle worthy."
    Last edited by tyler-durden; 6th March 2012 at 03:21 PM.

Default Re: Serge Lutens haul

The old ones are beginning to be the best imo. All bottle worthy with the exception of Daim Blond -- for me anyway. Chergui is wonderful -- beautiful hay extract. Did the sales assistant give you the bottle testers? That is a stroke of luck.

I have had a few samples of Chergui and I agree it is quite beautiful!

Yes, he gave me them free of charge. They have been used, but almost 50% full in the case of Gris Clair and probably 40% Ambre Sultan and Daim Blond.

Quite remarkable generosity really.

I would be quite disappointed with half-used samples. If they were to give samples after a purchase, why won't they give full ones to show that they treasure customers?

Apart from that, I think you made a fine choice. Chergui is very easy to like but it is too sweet for my taste. Did you try MKK, Fille en Aguilles and Feminite du Bois? These are my favorites from the Lutens line.

Quote Originally Posted by DNT View Post
    I would be quite disappointed with half-used samples. If they were to give samples after a purchase, why won't they give full ones to show that they treasure customers?

Apart from that, I think you made a fine choice. Chergui is very easy to like but it is too sweet for my taste. Did you try MKK, Fille en Aguilles and Feminite du Bois? These are my favorites from the Lutens line.
    Sorry, i'm not sure you understood. These aren't half full 1ml samples, I mean half full 50ml bottles.

As in I bought a 50ml bottle of Chergui and got approximately 20-25ml of each of the three others.

Apologies. I misunderstood "samples". Half-full bottles are a whole new story.

Teach me your ways! I want free bottles!

Lucky you! This will last you quite some time. My two favorites in your set are Ambre sultan and Chergui, but all are good and worth wearing. Later on, you can start exploring others as well, my favorite exports are Tubereuse criminelle and Muscs Koublai Khan.

cacio

Oh, wow! That must really have made your day, or month I would say. All are good, start with any. I'm betting you're going to become one more Lutensiac. Welcome to the club!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

I used to dislike Gris Clair but really enjoy it now (although I view Fourreau Noir as vastly superior to Gris Clair while sharing many similarities) and Ambre Sultan a classic but Chergui to me is the best beginner Lutens, and was my first Lutens as well. My 2nd Lutens was a misstep - Rousse - I made the mistake of purchasing after testing it in-store after only 10min. Loved the cinnamon opening but after 30-45min it dried to a very faint and fairly boring "perfumey" base.

you caught the SA in some very good mood... or you were overly sympathic to ... HER? this is the most generous SA i have heard about.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler-durden View Post
    I must have spent 20 minutes sampling a variety of the Serge Lutens collection, and decided to purchase a bottle of Chergui.

I'd like to say it was an easy choice, but it really wasn't there are many fabulous fragrances in the collection, and to my utter astonishment, the assistant gifted me half used testers of Ambre Sultan, Gris Clair and Daim Blond.
    Now that was a wonderful surprise! Don't forget that SA's name!

Yesterday I received a sample L'Eau Froide.
    I'm very sorry to say that I have to conclude that Mr. Lutens has lost track: the Vitriol d'Oeulliet of last year was kind of adventurous but unwearable, and this Eau Froide is nothing more than a mainstream 13-in-a-dozen woody kind of Xeryus Rouge/Bleu de Chanel copy. Time for rigorous changes and time for the return of the daring and unique experiments with which he became known. When may we expect Serge Lutens' next masterpiece??

THE Tyler Durden standing in front of an SL SA doing jedi mind tricks... 'upon indicating that I will procure the Chergui, you will offer me up those 2, no 3, half-empty testers at no charge. Let the force be with you!... proceed'

You better play the powerball today as well.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Congrats enjoy, I've only tried Chergui and Ambre Sultan from your haul awesome stuff indeed. I'm a little jelly right now lol :P

Thanks all!

For sure the SA is going on my Christmas card list.

I will definitely pop in for a conversation in the future. I was shocked I have to admit, I almost felt guilty raiding the tester drawer!!
    I can't imagine it will happen again, once in a blue moon stroke of luck I think.

Cacio, Tubereuse criminelle and Muscs Koublai Khan are both on my wishlist. I would love to try them, but have yet to find anywhere that I can sample them in the UK.

Lloydllewellyn, count me in as another "Lutensiac."

Well done. Did you get these from a store in B'ham?.
    Hailing from the Midlands myself, I do find that they are amongst the most kind and generous of people.
    To answer your Question-Ambre Sultan is worthy of a full bottle purchase.

I never had that luck!
    It must be beginner's luck
    LOL !

Wow, that's great!!!! Super score.

I'm from Birmingham too, I think the only stockists is House of Fraser, their selection has nothing that I would particularly want to purchase myself (and I'm a huge Lutens fan) but I struggle to believe they'd give you three half full 50ml bottles :')
    Well, if that's the case, then lucky you dude!

Samples available from Les senteurs (MKK at least, would have to check for TC)