Code of Conduct

Default CB I Hate Perfume 7 Million Hearts, price worthy or not...

Shocked to see CB I Hate Perfume 7 Million Hearts retailing for 200.00 UK pounds/ 315USD.

Promo to justify the price tag;

"To capture the essence of comfort, Christopher Brosius selected vanilla as the main composite of the 7 Billion Hearts scent. As one of the few flavours and fragrances loved the world over vanilla commands a high price, meaning that it is often sampled in a synthetic format. 7 Billion Hearts marries true vanilla absolutes from Tahiti and Madagascar, delicious and enticing".

I love bourbon vanilla scents, but I'm curious to hear if anyone has tried this and whether they consider it worth the price tag!.

http://www.escentual.com/cb-i-hate-perfume/cbihp_029/

Default Re: CB I Hate Perfume 7 Million Hearts, price worthy or not...

Hoping to sniff this on Saturday.

Beyond how it smells, I wonder how long it lasts? My recollection of CB I Hate Perfume productions is that they are relatively short lived and designed that way. Perhaps I am mistaken on this or there are exceptions.

Personally for me - No.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Beyond how it smells, I wonder how long it lasts? My recollection of CB I Hate Perfume productions is that they are relatively short lived and designed that way. Perhaps I am mistaken on this or there are exceptions.
    That's what would worry me. Most of the CB line I've tried have always been very fleeting in terms of wear. Would be interesting to know if the company are changing their approach with this one

Quote Originally Posted by maryandtheboys View Post
    That's what would worry me. Most of the CB line I've tried have always been very fleeting in terms of wear. Would be interesting to know if the company are changing their approach with this one

I've been wearing 7 Million Hearts for the last four hours, and it's still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    I've been wearing 7 Million Hearts for the last four hours, and it's still going strong.
    And how is it??
    Sorry to resurrect this but havent read much about it.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    And how is it??
    Sorry to resurrect this but havent read much about it.

I thought it was pretty stunning. Don't remember too many details at this point. Have to go back and try it again.

The only high end vanilla fragrance I know which is stunning is Mona Di Orio's Vanille. Would love to know how it compares to that.

Mona's Vanille completely turns my stomach with its muted "eggy" Mona Signature
    Can't wait to try this though

@Forfreddie, your inbox is full

The thing about CB's perfumes if indeed you can call them that, is they are playful and fun. They are the only perfumes that actually make me smile because of the sheer audacity of some of them. Mr Hulots holiday for instance. I am there, next to him on the beach, his leather bag is by my feet too. His sweaty shirt is next to me, and even the smell of the hot stones is there. I think of them as time travel capsules. I like to try them blind, and then read up then try again. I sit there with the understanding and let my mind drift into the places that CB describes. I can nearly drink that peaty whisky in Cummings lovely wood panelled study, and smell his unlit fire.

I'm always game for a CB perfume. His price tag is for art, not perfume, and art is what you get.

Hi mumsy thanks for letting me know I've cleared some out
    I'm glad others enjoy this line so much too,
    I almost get made to feel a bit embarassed about loving them so much, similar with some Smell Bents.
    Ah well Go along with the romantic story lines and have fun - just like you said, they're so easy to be captivated by.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    @Forfreddie, your inbox is full

The thing about CB's perfumes if indeed you can call them that, is they are playful and fun. They are the only perfumes that actually make me smile because of the sheer audacity of some of them. Mr Hulots holiday for instance. I am there, next to him on the beach, his leather bag is by my feet too. His sweaty shirt is next to me, and even the smell of the hot stones is there. I think of them as time travel capsules. I like to try them blind, and then read up then try again. I sit there with the understanding and let my mind drift into the places that CB describes. I can nearly drink that peaty whisky in Cummings lovely wood panelled study, and smell his unlit fire.

I'm always game for a CB perfume. His price tag is for art, not perfume, and art is what you get.
    For 200 pounds a bottle I'd prefer a religious experience, or at least a strong emotional one!...so we are talking art.

Quote Originally Posted by maryandtheboys View Post
    For 200 pounds a bottle I'd prefer a religious experience, or at least a strong emotional one!...so we are talking art.
    Ooooh no, we are talking sample.....

If I had money to burn, I would actually buy 'I'm a Dandelion' coz if I was ever in a really difficult place, could you really be sad or depressed wearing that? Would that count as a strong emotional experience?

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Ooooh no, we are talking sample.....

If I had money to burn, I would actually buy 'I'm a Dandelion' coz if I was ever in a really difficult place, could you really be sad or depressed wearing that? Would that count as a strong emotional experience?
    No, I think that sounds like escape via mindless distraction....but fun while it lasts nevertheless.

Escape via mindless distraction sounds pretty marvellous to me..... In fact, is that not the epitome of scent?

Back to the question.... I would say yes, any scent or art or art/scent is worth any quantity of money if indeed it fulfils the above and makes the wearers heart and mind soar. If it doesn't, then no. This cannot be determined by the scent alone, it must be the marriage of the scent and that persons skin. A bit like finding the perfect partner really, and equally difficult.

First of all the price is not $200 pounds, but it is $200 US! Even at that it is expensive. I think it is a bit expensive for what you get actually, but I ordered a bottle and it . . . it arrived broken! 7 Billion Broken Hearts! I have yet to see if CB will make good and send me another - I am sure they will. If not I will let everyone know because being able to procure this stuff safely without damage through the mail, for that price, is a consideration.

Now the fragrance! I like it. It doesn't have the tobacco notes of SDV or Mona's Vanilla but it has something that these don't have - an ever expanding vanilla scent that never gets cloying and becomes a part of you. Early on it smells woody like cedar wood casks filled with bourbon vanilla. But the vanilla tones get lighter as it wears on, but not less impressive. There is a gradual progression from leafy cedary wood vanilla that gets warm and radiant kind of like the sunshine on a spring afternoon. The dry down smells of vanilla radiating sunbeam dust. It does have a home made quality about it because it just smells so true to what vanilla is all about. The fragrance never smells powdery to me so no benzoin in there - I like that. There might be some opoponox - who knows. I like the fragrance as much as any vanilla but it is pretty much straight up vanilla with some slight enhancements. If you really, really love vanilla then this is worth the money! If not, no it is not - simple I guess. A little goes a long way (the water based perfume) and I am still smelling it the next day after testing. I found the more I wear it the more I like this one. It is an oddity for CB because many of his more wonderful creations are just that - oddities (Burning Leaves! 2nd Cumming!).

I would say this CB 7 Billion Hearts vanilla compares more to straight ahead pure vanilla scents such as Atelier Vanille Incensee, or Creed Sublime Vanille rather than the darker vanillas of TomFord TV or Guerlain Spiriteuse Double Vanille.

Basenotes Institution

I wore it, twice, when I was vacationing this past summer in Provincetown - one of the local perfume shops has the CBIHP line and they had this one. I literally drenched my arm with it, since some of his water scents are sort of light, both times that I sampled it.

I love vanilla and I'm always happy to add another nice and luxurious vanilla scent to my wardrobe. The top notes are very natural, realistic, soft and comforting vanilla. Nothing boozy, per se, but there is an amber/animalic note that popped up on my skin both times and it really reminded me of another amber scent I already own, Smoked Amber by D.S. & Durga. By the time I sampled it for the 2nd time I realized it would be pointless for me to buy this, it smelled so much like SA.

I would rather spend my money on another luxury vanilla, like Spiriteuse Double Vanille by Guerlain or Vanille 44 by Le Labo.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I have a sample and I get a lot of smoke in the opening. The vanilla comes in quickly though, and it's a natural vanilla. Nothing cloying about this scent. It seems to expand. I thoroughly enjoyed its development.

Alas, my scent hungry skin demolished this in an hour.

I will enjoy my sample till it runs out, would be very pleased if I was given a bottle, but I wouldn't shell out my hard earned cash for it. It's retailing at £200 in the UK by the way (on escentual)

OK. I ordered a bottle of the $200 7 Billion Hearts. Is it worth $200? NO. In my opinion no it is not. It is a very full bodied pure scented vanilla fragrance. It smells so much like pure vanilla from the grocery store the company puts bold warnings all over it to not ingest this fragrance and to only use on skin - do not eat this! It smells fantastic! Very vanilla with a slight undertone of woods, but it works. But, $200 worth? Probably not.

Also please note that water fragrances can freeze if your winter temperatures are way below freezing, so might want to order the oil in the dead of winter if you decide to get one.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 31st January 2013 at 01:58 PM.

Basenotes Plus

A quick search http://www.essentialoil.com/products/vanilla-absolute and I found this. I believe Christopher's prices on the finished product is influenced by the cost of his ingredients. He doesn't "mass" produce.

My vote is for art.

7 Billion Hearts is on my list of perfumes I want to try and I am considering ordering a sample. Am a bit worried about the description of it being a cedar/vanilla as I am not overly fond of noticeable cedar in perfumes. Any other takes on this scent?

7 Billion Hearts is on my list of perfumes I want to try and I am considering ordering a sample. Am a bit worried about the description of it being a cedar/vanilla as I am not overly fond of noticeable cedar in perfumes. Any other takes on this scent?

I'm a pretty big fan of CBIHP scents and have to say that 7 Billion Hearts is now my favorite. I think it's stunning and worth every penny. A couple of sprays lasts all day on my skin. It's truly a gorgeous smoky vanilla!

Quote Originally Posted by Plaisir View Post

I get a lot of cedar from this

Hmm, I think I will hold off on this one then. I love the smell of actual cedar wood but not what passes for it in perfume.