Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Truth or Dare by Madonna

Lilybelle and Teardrop - the problem with wearing Fracas now is that I am sure many people will think it's actually Truth or Dare. *LOL* I am not a fan of Madonna's bottle design though- it's like a little white coffin .
    Teardrop- have you tried Fracas extrait de parfum ? In a word, glorious ! Less heady - just smooth and golden .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    ... like a little white coffin .
    Love the reference, hate the bottle. It's horrible. No matter what the juice, I'm afraid if I bring this home the mezuzahs will melt...
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Lilybelle and Teardrop - the problem with wearing Fracas now is that I am sure many people will think it's actually Truth or Dare. *LOL* I am not a fan of Madonna's bottle design though- it's like a little white coffin .
    Teardrop- have you tried Fracas extrait de parfum ? In a word, glorious ! Less heady - just smooth and golden .
    No, l haven't, but l guess l really should!

And l haven't seen the ToD bottle "in person" yet, but now l've got that image of a little white coffin in my head...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I don't get coffin. The bottom would have to be narrower than the top, but then it would be too obvious and impractical too. But maybe it is supposed to suggest a coffin, who knows. For me it could also suggest a box for a rosary, or a bottle of holy water as someone suggested. It is very Madonna - pop culture/kitsch AND religious. It is wafer thin (the bottle that is).

I don't get Fracas, though I only know the edp not the parfum extrait. It doesn't have the greenery or shrillness that Fracas edp has in the top. ToD is sweet and creamy but but not gourmand sweet. Something in it reminds me of AG Songes, the tuberose (?). I think any lover of tropical white florals would enjoy it. There are plenty of similar niche offerings out there but for an easily available mainstream version this one is nice. My two cents.

I finally was able to test Truth or Dare at the mall the other day. I'm surprised by all the references to Fracas. Seems to me that it could be compared to any other Gardenia and Tuberose perfume as well as it could be compared to Fracas.

To my nose though, the scent was VERY original. I've never smelled Gardenia/Tuberose with such a layer of "sweet" blended in. This stuff is sweeter than sugar. Powdered sugar maybe?

I don't know if I want to actually be caught out in public wearing it. And it seems so "not me". But I'm going to need to get at least a sample so I can huff it occasionally. I think I want to eat it.
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. Especially when it comes to perfumes ...

It's not bad. Smelled a lot like Fracas with a sort of caramelized base. Lasted a long time. I may buy a bottle when it hits the discounters.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Olfacta View Post
    It's not bad. Smelled a lot like Fracas with a sort of caramelized base. Lasted a long time. I may buy a bottle when it hits the discounters.
    Is it expensive in the States? It's cheap as chips here in the UK considering it's sillage and longevity

Smelled this finally--and for an in-your-face floral/candy concoction, not bad. But that same day, I was wearing vintage Caleche extrait, so the stridency was a bit off-putting. Since then, I have decided not to indulge in a bottle, but might get some when it hits discount shelves at some point.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

I had a quick sniff yesterday, while killing some time before the flight home. Reminded me of Gardenia Isabey - creamy white gardenia with plenty of vanilla. The ad/bottle strike as Madonna sirca "like a prayer". Only Madonna is blond(er) and old(er) (and photoshoped beyond human recognition ) and the bottle is white. Wearable, but I'd rather stick with Fracas, and Gardenias by Chanel and Isabey.

I don't understand this constant reference to Fracas. ToD smells completely different to me.
    Fracas is a wonderful experience, soft and lovely. Truth or Dare is harsh and kind of nips my nose and smells like old dried flowers.
    If this is what Madonna smells like, I don't want to meet her.

Blog Entries

Finally tried this one while in town today, & yes it really is "Fracas-lite" to my nose, at least for the first hour. lt has a nice, creamy, tropical tiare gardenia note in the heart, & a not-too-sweet caramel in the base. l like it, although of course it lacks the depth, complexity & sheer power of Fracas, & it only lasted around four hours on me. lf it introduces young people to something other than the mainstream fruity-florals though, then that's a good thing. l fear it may be about twenty years too late, however.
    As for the bottle, l was surprised by how narrow it is from front to back; it would probably blow over in a light breeze!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

A friend just brought me back a bottle from a trip she took to Scotland. It smells so derivative of Fracas to my nose that I have to wonder: is it a joke or is Madonna seriously THIS lazy and unimaginative? I realize that a huge part of her schtick has always been to nick certain cultural trends and craft them as clever homages, but this to me smells like out-and-out copy-catting.