Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Tuck the polo shirt in??

Hi.
    I normally wear Ralph Lauren polo shirts on my casual days and I tuck them into my jeans. I just do not like a shirt hanging out and looking messy. My wife thinks I should not tuck them in. I like to wear nice shoes, with nice well cut jeans, a nice belt and my polo shirt tucked in.
    Is this strange? I just turned 29 by the way if that is of any use. Do most people just let them hang out? I am a software developer and a very organized person with my profession.

Default Re: Tuck the polo shirt in??

Depends on the design of the polo and the rest of the clothes you are wearing. If you've got particularly neat and traditional style then I guess it makes sense to tuck in. If you're wearing a more modern cut polo then it could go either way and it does depend on what you're wearing with it. I prefer untucked myself but I always make sure the polo's look new, clean and fresh (must be ironed) so it doesn't look sloppy. Get polo's that fit you well too, they shouldn't be baggy or skin tight.
    At the end of the day though why not make your wife happy and leave it out? They are usually designed to be worn untucked anyway.

I prefer untucked.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Whatever suits you.
    6 out of 10 times tucked in. Remaining to make wifey happy. Good balance? Yes.
    for swap/sale:

If you have the body tuck it in. If not, leave it out IMO.

No, do NOT tuck in unless you are playing golf at a really nice course or eating lunch at said golf course's restaurant. A polo shirt tucked in makes you look like you work at Best Buy or the Verizon store.

Of course, the shirt has to fit right. Make sure it's not too large. (James Bond always keeps his tshirts and polos untucked!)

Generally untucked in my case, I cannot remember the last time I wore my polo shirt tucked

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    If you have the body tuck it in. If not, leave it out IMO.
    Hahaha
    for swap/sale:

I mean look at this! Do you really want to tuck?

Quote Originally Posted by maitiu View Post
    Hi.
    I normally wear Ralph Lauren polo shirts on my casual days and I tuck them into my jeans. I just do not like a shirt hanging out and looking messy. My wife thinks I should not tuck them in. I like to wear nice shoes, with nice well cut jeans, a nice belt and my polo shirt tucked in.
    Is this strange? I just turned 29 by the way if that is of any use. Do most people just let them hang out? I am a software developer and a very organized person with my profession.
    there's nothing wrong with tucking a polo in. judging from how you describe your style it's best for you. does your wife think you look too neat and need to loosen up a little? if that's the case, there are better ways to do that.

if you're unsure, compare the silhouette. which one looks best? tucked or untucked.

this is a generalization but, tucked in is the classic way, loose is the modern adolescent way.

He obviously doesn't have the body!

this sense of wearing too loose cloth if you're fat is ridiculous. only in america! it hides nothing, but makes you look sloppy instead.

I never tuck polo shirts in.

Nonononono . . . just don't do it

come on, now. tucked in polo's are classic sports attire.

these men had great style. wearing a polo un-tucked will never be a match to these examples, no matter what the fashion is.

here's another example, one that would go well in today's fashion.

i'm not saying that un-tucked polo's can't look good, but in most cases it just looks sloppy and boring. what matters most, is the cut, the proportion. it should be never be too wide, not skinny either, not too long or too short. the fit must be very precise. in contrast what people commonly think, it should never be the standard option, it requires skill to pull it off. and even then it will never look better than the classic way, done right.

Gido, you are right on the money! Thanks for the classic pictures.

thank you, i was half-expecting a very different response. you know, going against the grain attracts bullies. :D

Blog Entries

No no no do not tuck in

Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    I mean look at this! Do you really want to tuck?

This man has the misfortune of not being ramrod slim like a Tom Ford model, but he looks well-groomed. Most of us don't look like models, but at least we can be well-dressed and dapper.

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    come on, now. tucked in polo's are classic sports attire.

these men had great style. wearing a polo un-tucked will never be a match to these examples, no matter what the fashion is.

Great photos, gido! I belong to the "tucked in" camp.

By virtue of the back tails being longer than the front, the garment is meant to be worn tucked in. (This might be different with a polo with even hems, like a loose, casual tee or tropical guayabera.)

To have the long tails in back hanging over one's backside is a slovenly, unkemp look, capable only in being appropriate with college undergrads who don't know any better. The accessory to this look is a Dixie cup of cheap keg beer in one's hand.
    Last edited by Primrose; 9th March 2012 at 09:05 PM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Rose Ambre by Fragonard

I may solve my problem. Tuck the front in and leave the back out. Please both me and my wife all at once.

Some of my polo shirts I do not tuck in as they fit perfect length right with my jeans. These ones would be the Polo sport club shirts. They have the number on the back, white stripe across the front along with the polo club / country. Those are custom fit.
    My standard polo sports shirts are just normal fit. I am pretty broad etc, so i fit them well, it is just the length that is a problem. I have to wear 2xl to fit me perfect but that comes at the expense of super long. I am 6ft 2.

I do love the classic way to wear them. Just wondered what the norm was with most folks here. I do agree that not tucked in can be rather slobby looking, depending on the fit.
    Top 10 at the moment:

1.Kouros
    2.Terre D'Hermes
    3.Fahrenheit
    4.Creed Royal Oud
    5.Eau Sauvage
    6.Dior Homme Sport
    7.Creed Bois du Portugal
    8.Givency PI
    9.Dior Homme
    10.Ralph Lauren Polo Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    This man has the misfortune of not being ramrod slim like a Tom Ford model, but he looks well-groomed. Most of us don't look like models, but at least we can be well-dressed and dapper.

Great photos, gido! I belong to the "tucked in" camp.

By virtue of the back tails being longer than the front, the garment is meant to be worn tucked in. (This might be different with a polo with even hems, like a loose, casual tee or tropical guayabera.)

To have the long tails in back hanging over one's backside is a slovenly, unkemp look, capable only in being appropriate with college undergrads who don't know any better. The accessory to this look is a Dixie cup of cheap keg beer in one's hand.
    Thoroughly agree.
    for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    This is why I don't tuck them in, the Simon Cowell look :-)

I think it is something that predominantly older men do, perhaps.

Edit - just found this
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ting-old-.html
    Last edited by Rüssel; 9th March 2012 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post

And the younger ones who want to look well-groomed and sharp.

I guess fashion decisions are really up to the individual, but there are still classic ways to do things that are ingrained in male clothing, such as a dimple in one's tie and the showing of some shirt cuff.

i suppose that in time, what is "fresh" and "revolutionary" will become commonplace. Such is the nature of fashion.

When men first started cutting their hair short after the French Directory, older men fumed, crying, "Why do young men wear their hair short like felons?! Why don't they wear it long and pulled back in a tail like a gentleman?!" (Men in prison then had their hair cut short for hygiene reasons and to reduce the catching of lice.)

In the 1960s, when young men started to wear very long hair, a common older men's criticism was, "Go get a haircut!" The long hair was reaction to social norms of the 1950s, and the convention of wearing the hair very short. Remember the "crew cut," anyone? Then again, old is new again. LOL!

I remain in the "tucked tails" camp!
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Absolutely do not tuck it in , just buy one where the hem sits on or just below the waist on your jeans/trousers

This should be a poll! Any way of fixing this?

• Tucked
    • Untucked

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post

Edit - just found this
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ting-old-.html
    High-waisted pants might make you look "old" by some opinions (women have "Mom jeans"), but--wow--they make your legs look long! A great fashion secret for shorter men and women, or people with short inseams.

Every modern polo shirt I have seen has square hems and is cut to a length meant to come just below the belt. I do not believe these shirts are intended to be tucked in, and personally I think if you are under 60 years old it looks odd. I mean, look at the pics gido posted. This is now 50+ years after those pics were taken, lol.

If your polos are too long, i.e. you have a short torso, a tailor can easily shorten your shirt so it comes just below the belt. If you are wearing jeans and the shirt comes below the front pockets, it is too long and this looks odd too.

So I would say NEVER, EVER tuck in a polo shirt. Button downs OTOH could go either way...

dorje,

i agree about the length option of the untucked shirt.

it should look like this,

but there are more options, as in this image,

nothing wrong with having a little fun with your dress.

all that said, i do (obviously) strongly disagree with you last statement.
    tucked-in is just the most elegant of all options.