Code of Conduct

Default Charles Street by Mark Birley

Greeting Basenoters,

I received some samples of Charles Street and after a few wearings I wanted to give my thoughts on this scent.

It started out strong. I was a bit taken aback as it was sharp at first and sent my head in a spin. Mace oil and coffee, a bitter sweet smell- I wonder if the Angelica acted as a counterpoint to this slightly, trying to keep it from being too heavy. It was warm with spice - the nutmeg came out with the coffee and created a darker flavour. After 30 minutes or so I could swear I got Lilly of the Valley- a scent which brought to mind dew on dried grass- a sweetness that hung around the outer layers of the fragrance. There is a leather in there too which gives this a masculine edge and an inviting quality with the coffee.

The raspberry flitted in and out and I got the impression sometimes of baby's breath or that baby skin scent smell. Clean, transparent and then I would get a passing of leather and coffee again. This is truly a mixture of surprises for me and a scent for a mature man which at times can be subtle and then can snap back to it's full scale. Too much of this will certainly take people's breath away so being discreet would be advisable.

The drydown brings us to the leather, patchouli and slight vanilla in the base which reminds me of Antaeus - full of character, power and dark colours.

A cool or cold weather fragrance I can see myself wearing this with a suit for business and after leaving work for a evening at a nice restaurant. It deserves a wearing with cufflinks, finely polished shoes and an air of self assuredness.

For my mind sampling would be advised. This should not be purchased blind as I can see it will not be for everyone but if you like your coffee black and your spice straight up I suggest you go to Charles Street for a stroll.
    La vita č breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Charles Street by Mark Birley

One of the better recent masculine releases, I think. Still, I can't shake the similarities to Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

I think is a perfect alternative to those who like TL but can't afford it. It goes for less than half the price.

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed Charles St. too. It has an odd mix of ingredients that makes it unique in smell to most leather fragrances as well as having a feeling of tradition about it. The mace (nutmeg) in particular adds a hint of spice note at first, but then coffee and angelica (light green) adds a grounding civilized aspect to a sweet traditional leather base. It is one of the better leather scents for the price and quite unique in smell to me. It would make a great signature scent for somebody. Think leather jacket, cup of coffee, clove cigarette, hint of greens from the garden . . . more leather.

That Charles Street is also an EDP is also a plus.

The retail price of $125 is not too bad considering this and also the 125 ml bottle. (That's $1.00 USD per ml.)

If you really enjoy lily of the valley (muguet), you might try Crown Perfumery's Sandringham, if you can find it. A nice feature of muguet.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

After giving this repeated wearings last week I can't believe I missed the raspberry in this fragrance. It really gives a lovely edge to this masculine scent.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    One of the better recent masculine releases
    +1!!!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

After smelling the nozzle of the Halston Man Amber I got in the mail yesterday, the first thing that came to mind was Mark Birley Charles Street, which I owned a few months back. When I give Amber a full wearing, I'll know a lot more.

Post Thanks / Like

I just sampled Charles Street yesterday and agree with some others regarding similarities with Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather and Clive Christian "C". I guess if those two choices are too expensive, Charles Street would be the more affordable choice.
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Flaconneur View Post
    I just sampled Charles Street yesterday and agree with some others regarding similarities with Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather and Clive Christian "C"
    Clive Christian "C" is much better IMO.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    One of the better recent masculine releases...
    +2!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Clive Christian "C" is much better IMO.
    I sampled both for a long time before finally choosing Clive Christian "C". I feel it's much more complex than Tuscan Leather. Charles Street is a great choice for someone who wants Tuscan Leather or "C" but doesn't want to spend exuberant amounts of money on either of them.
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Flaconneur View Post
    I just sampled Charles Street yesterday and agree with some others regarding similarities with Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather and Clive Christian "C". I guess if those two choices are too expensive, Charles Street would be the more affordable choice.
    I own all 3 and personally would rate them in this order:

Clive Christian "C"
    Mark Birley Charles Street
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather

That's not to say I don't like Tuscan Leather, I like it a lot. But "C" I feel is better for more formal or special occasions. Charles Street I feel I can use anytime, anywhere because it's lighter and more versatile. That leaves Tuscan Leather and I can never seem to find the right time to use it because I usually reach for one of the other two.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    I own all 3 and personally would rate them in this order:

Clive Christian "C"
    Mark Birley Charles Street
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Agreed ziffy321. I found Charles Street more interesting than Tuscan Leather.
    - Expect the unexpected

Post Thanks / Like

Do we have any updates/experience on longevity for Charles Street? I've got a sample from LuckyScent and I relly like this frag but the test applications don't last more than a couple of hours. Is it any different when not decanted or applied/sprayed properly? If so how many hours do you get from this one?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Charles Street by Mark Birley

I can still smell it on me (love the raspberry) when I wake up the next day. More a skin scent by then, but enjoyable - so 20 + hours in some form.

It bubbles up nicely at work all during the day - applied at 6 a.m. and still going strong at 4 p.m. One of the few that my skin doesn't swallow up and allows me to get my raspberry fix.
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    I relly like this frag but the test applications don't last more than a couple of hours.
    The same here!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    The same here!
    easyfish, is this from an original spray bottle or a decant/sample?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    easyfish, is this from an original spray bottle or a decant/sample?
    It´s from an original sample from First In Fragrance about six weeks ago.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't have longevity issues with CS. Easily a 10+ hours frag. Goes close to the skin after a few hours but smell remains intense. Perhaps better in warmer temperatures as humidity keeps it in bloom.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Hi Perf,

Great to hear that you say it works well in the humidity. I was thinking it may be too much but I'm glad to be proved wrong. I'll give this a go over our humid months here and see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Charles+Street+tilt.jpg

Excellent scent. Raspberry on a bed of leather.