Code of Conduct

Default My first experience with the legendary "Tobacco Vanille"

After sampling Tuscan Leather for the 10,000th time I figured I might as well sample TV as well, even though I have been avoiding it like the plague based on the fear that I might end up liking it as well...

fortunately this was not the case!

Though I enjoy the simplicity and linear quality presented in Tuscan Leather, I found the powerful Vanilla note to be a bit too overpowering in TV, likely because I was expecting the opposite: A powerful tobacco note being ushered in by a faint vanilla notes.

After blindly buying Pure Havane I realize how lucky I am to have chosen that fragrance as my go-to gourmand with underlying tobacco notes. Unfortunately I only have one unopened box left and I'm very worried that I'm going to regret selling it as I had planned...

This is the most ridiculous hobby in the world.

Default Re: My first experience with the legendary "Tobacco Vanille"

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    Ridiculously wonderful and gratifying.

I'm so jealous of Havane. I'm very lucky to be swapping for PH with an awesome basenotes member, but still, it's sooooo good! Personally I think the tobacco is more overpowering in TV, it's so spicy and hits you in the face. But hey, seems like you made some good decisions!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Ridiculously wonderful and gratifying.
    ...at certain times. Ridiculously stressful and frustrating at others

Quote Originally Posted by icanzapyou View Post
    I'm so jealous of Havane. I'm very lucky to be swapping for PH with an awesome basenotes member, but still, it's sooooo good! Personally I think the tobacco is more overpowering in TV, it's so spicy and hits you in the face. But hey, seems like you made some good decisions!
    I had 3 bottles at one point. One I opened and used for a while and then felt that I had gotten sick of it... I sold it along with one other bottle, and I'm currently trying to sell the last one, but I'm starting to realize how nice of a frag it really is, and how I might have a lot of trouble finding it again if I do sell it. It's quite a dilemma.

I definitely sensed the tobacco more in TV than I do in PH, although that's not saying much, because I never really got any tobacco notes out of PH... I'm guessing it's because working in a cigar store I had to enter our walk-in humidor hundreds of times a day, and I have become spoiled by the smell of perfectly preserved tobacco leaves.

This fragrance has already reached legendary status?

Hey, your like me, not a fan of TV but love Pure Havane!

This hobby would be less ridiculous without all the limited editions/discontinuations and reformulations, which are all extremely frustrating!

You should hold on to it. You will regret selling it. Did you spray on the TV and wear it? It is much different and better when given a full wear. Do even try it because you will probably like it much more.

After blindly buying Pure Havane I realize how lucky I am to have chosen that fragrance as my go-to gourmand with underlying tobacco notes. Unfortunately I only have one unopened box left and I'm very worried that I'm going to regret selling it as I had planned.
    I think I hold onto it, just in case. If you later regret it, it won't be easy to source again at a decent price.

Banned

for an outstanding tobacco scent try:

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens - Upon application, one is treated to a comforting pipe tobacco accord from the spicy and slightly tarry Balkan tobacco coupled with tonka bean with its vanillic earthiness, and white honey with its mildly sweet facet tinged with urine. A flavorful date and rum raisin currant pervades and enhances the pleasantness of the tobacco. A whisper of sensuous jasmine flitters about. Transitioning to the awaiting middle, a wonderful smokehouse accord and smoked leather envelop the inviting opening. Vanilla infuses the brew with its lightly woody and caramel aspects. And a deliciously seductive, red rose with fruity glimmers and a cabernet-like facet marries deligthsome beeswax acquiring its ambery, honeyed and sweet hay character, and makes itself known. This luxurious heart segues to the waiting base. Here, in the rousing base, the syrupy sweetness of styrax commingles with the woody freshness of juniper berries, the peppery mustiness of patchouli as well as the subtly sour and urinal nuances of Peru balsam. An intriguing drydown ensues. This fascinating composition has minimal projection, remaining a skin scent and fostering its use in close quarters; however, its longevity is very good. This captivating, masculine scent is very layered and complex, and should be held in high regard in one's wardrobe.

I love TV but recently tried Pure Havane for the 1st time. OMG, PH is now one of my all-time favorite scents. I can't believe it, it's got it all. I missed out on PH and Pure Malt because I was so put off by the original A*men Bomb. I will never make that mistake again. Thierry Mugler had his act together with PH and PM without a doubt !!!!!

The dry down of Pure Havane smells like you just baked cookies... Not even close to smoothness of Tobacco Vanille, IMO.

After sampling Tuscan Leather for the 10,000th time I figured I might as well sample TV as well, even though I have been avoiding it like the plague based on the fear that I might end up liking it as well...

fortunately this was not the case!

Though I enjoy the simplicity and linear quality presented in Tuscan Leather, I found the powerful Vanilla note to be a bit too overpowering in TV, likely because I was expecting the opposite: A powerful tobacco note being ushered in by a faint vanilla notes.

After blindly buying Pure Havane I realize how lucky I am to have chosen that fragrance as my go-to gourmand with underlying tobacco notes. Unfortunately I only have one unopened box left and I'm very worried that I'm going to regret selling it as I had planned...

It's easy to overdo TV. I make sure just to spray a little on over a few areas and never to hold my nose right under it until it's drying down. I made the horrible mistake once of opening a new flacon and smelling the bottle up close. I fried my sense of smell for almost a day. It is amazingly powerful. I wore it yesterday and loved every minute. Woke up this morning still smelling good. Easy to get 24 hrs out of it. I still need to try Pure Havane and Malt. From what I hear I will love those as well.

Tobacco Vanille is a niche masterpiece that gets me compliments every time I wear it. Out of my entire arsenal, it's my girlfriends favorite. The only downfall is it's versatility. As far as Pure Havane goes, Theirry Mugler better wake up and make this a permanent scent. It's the best out of the entire Amen line IMO..

i just got pure havane and love it, im trying to get the whole line but its hard , tobacco vanille is amazing and I'll be saving up for it soon

Quote Originally Posted by >BOOMER< View Post
    I love TV but recently tried Pure Havane for the 1st time. OMG, PH is now one of my all-time favorite scents. I can't believe it, it's got it all. I missed out on PH and Pure Malt because I was so put off by the original A*men Bomb. I will never make that mistake again. Thierry Mugler had his act together with PH and PM without a doubt !!!!!
    I wasn't a fan of A*Men when Pure Havane came out but PH blew me away! I bought 3 bottles and would never consider selling one, even for an inflated price.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

TV is awesome some, nothing like PH imo.

Quote Originally Posted by TMA View Post
    Hey, your like me, not a fan of TV but love Pure Havane!

This hobby would be less ridiculous without all the limited editions/discontinuations and reformulations, which are all extremely frustrating!
    So true...

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    You should hold on to it. You will regret selling it. Did you spray on the TV and wear it? It is much different and better when given a full wear. Do even try it because you will probably like it much more.
    Quote Originally Posted by PEARL View Post
    I think I hold onto it, just in case. If you later regret it, it won't be easy to source again at a decent price.
    You guys have all convinced me to keep my bottle for now I guess I'm gonna keep it until next winter, because it's getting warmer and I don't really see myself wearing it in any other season but fall/winter.

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens - Upon application, one is treated to a comforting pipe tobacco accord from the spicy and slightly tarry Balkan tobacco coupled with tonka bean with its vanillic earthiness, and white honey with its mildly sweet facet tinged with urine. A flavorful date and rum raisin currant pervades and enhances the pleasantness of the tobacco. A whisper of sensuous jasmine flitters about. Transitioning to the awaiting middle, a wonderful smokehouse accord and smoked leather envelop the inviting opening. Vanilla infuses the brew with its lightly woody and caramel aspects. And a deliciously seductive, red rose with fruity glimmers and a cabernet-like facet marries deligthsome beeswax acquiring its ambery, honeyed and sweet hay character, and makes itself known. This luxurious heart segues to the waiting base. Here, in the rousing base, the syrupy sweetness of styrax commingles with the woody freshness of juniper berries, the peppery mustiness of patchouli as well as the subtly sour and urinal nuances of Peru balsam. An intriguing drydown ensues. This fascinating composition has minimal projection, remaining a skin scent and fostering its use in close quarters; however, its longevity is very good. This captivating, masculine scent is very layered and complex, and should be held in high regard in one's wardrobe.
    Thanks for the tip. I'm trying NOT to find another tobacco freg to fall in love with, but this forum makes it so hard...

Quote Originally Posted by >BOOMER< View Post
    I'm on the same boat. I find A*men disgusting, but love PH. I would love to try PM one day, but I doubt I'll ever find one for a reasonable price

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    The dry down of Pure Havane smells like you just baked cookies... Not even close to smoothness of Tobacco Vanille, IMO.
    I agree 100%! PH is not even close to as civilized as TV, but that's kind of what I like about it It's just over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesc View Post
    It's easy to overdo TV. I make sure just to spray a little on over a few areas and never to hold my nose right under it until it's drying down. I made the horrible mistake once of opening a new flacon and smelling the bottle up close. I fried my sense of smell for almost a day. It is amazingly powerful. I wore it yesterday and loved every minute. Woke up this morning still smelling good. Easy to get 24 hrs out of it. I still need to try Pure Havane and Malt. From what I hear I will love those as well.
    I actually only sampled it on a card, so maybe a sampling on the skin is warranted...
    Definitely try PH if you have a chance. There's not much to dislike, although I could see it being overly sweet for some.

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    Tobacco Vanille is a niche masterpiece that gets me compliments every time I wear it. Out of my entire arsenal, it's my girlfriends favorite. The only downfall is it's versatility. As far as Pure Havane goes, Theirry Mugler better wake up and make this a permanent scent. It's the best out of the entire Amen line IMO..
    You assume that he cares about the people who actually purchase his fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    i just got pure havane and love it, im trying to get the whole line but its hard , tobacco vanille is amazing and I'll be saving up for it soon
    Best of luck. It's not easy being a fragrance nut in Canada...

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    I wasn't a fan of A*Men when Pure Havane came out but PH blew me away! I bought 3 bottles and would never consider selling one, even for an inflated price.
    If I wasn't such a poor ass I would have kept mine too... maybe when I strike it rich one day I'll buy back the ones I sold

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens
    Exactly my words.

I don't get much tobacco in TV

+1 on this.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Unfortunately I only have one unopened box left and I'm very worried that I'm going to regret selling it as I had planned...

Dont worry. Untill you are in middle of last bottle your taste will change so much that you won't need it anyway
    TOP 4 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 4 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme
    4. Dior Homme Intense

The fragrance smells really good but just did not gel with me. I found it cloying especially in enclosed spaces.

The only tobacco scent I currently love is Chergui, and it really doesn't have that much tobacco in it. I still like TV, but get tired of it very, very quickly. I tend to really enjoy it for about two hours, then think "Gee, I wish I was wearing x."

Never been a huge fan of Fumerie Turque, personally. I vaguely recall agreeing with Luca Turin's review, but now I don't remember exactly what he said. I don't think he liked it much, though.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Tobacco Vanille is some wonderful stuff. Reminds me of when my father smokes his Vanilla Cavendish pipe tobacco, although a bit less smoky.
    http://soundcloud.com/lovejon

I don't think PH and TV are similar to say the least

I own and love TV, but only wear it on various occasions. It can become cloying if oversprayed. I've sampled PH and do love it's sweetness and would love to purchase this before it's prices skyrocket.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Quote Originally Posted by limaaa View Post
    I don't get much tobacco in TV
    I get a lot of cherry. Some vanilla comes through after a couple of hours.

TV is great scent but not what have expected. I expected something more a tobacco scent with little vanilla. What I get is a lot of vanilla, little to sweet for me. But overall best vanilla I have tried. On me it is a skin scent with moderate longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by JickyMan View Post
    I own and love TV, but only wear it on various occasions. It can become cloying if oversprayed. I've sampled PH and do love it's sweetness and would love to purchase this before it's prices skyrocket.
    I overdid TV on my first wearing and interstingly enough it was cloying for a bit, then I simply stopped smelling it. Just shut down my senses to it. I would hold the sample bottle I had to my nose and nothing.

Also I don't get any cherry at all.

I agree that Fumerie Turque is also worth a try. It is not a sweet as TV, but also very pleasant.

A pronounced cherry note clear in Back to Black.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Tobacco Vanille, or Eau de Play-Doh as I like to refer to it.

I'm not a big fan of TV or PH because they're both vanilla bombs. Back to black FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I'm not a big fan of TV or PH because they're both vanilla bombs. Back to black FTW.
    Back to Black is definitely a worthy alternative for those that don't want the sweetness of TV.

Quote Originally Posted by icanzapyou View Post
    You should get it next week! Hope you dig it!

As far as TV goes, I much prefer Guerlain SdV.

I cannot stand TV. Smells way too sweet.

Wish I hadn't bought the sample from TPC. Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post

Whoever doesn't want their bottle of TV send it to me and I will even pay your shipping!
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Aplle Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by Samarkand View Post

Whoever doesn't want their bottle of TV send it to me and I will even pay your shipping!
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Aplle Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille