Code of Conduct

Default Falling out of love with many of my fragrances!

Lately, it seems I have little interest in wearing several of my fragrances. And on the occassions that I do, the experience is less pleasant than it once was, and I consider whether I even want to hold on to these fragrances. It's a bit frustrating, actually. Today I put on my L'Artisan Havana Vanille. This was my first $100+ scent. Loved it at first, but today? Not so much. Maybe I over-applied, but it's a bit overwhelming, and even a little cloying. I wore Brit the other day. My first precious Burberry. And somehow, I was just really lukewarm about it. Same goes for it's sibling "The Beat". Lancome Hypnose use to be one of my top 5 scents. I can't even remember the last time I wore that thing!

A few months ago I gave away several fragrances to a fragrance newb friend. They were fragrances that I simply never even feel tempted to reach for (Pi, Blue Jeans, Desire Red, Cuba Gold, Cuba Black, and Mambo). Part of the reason, I believe, is that as I have considerably grown in my familiarity with fine & sophisticated fragrances, I am liking the more simple fragrances less and less. But heck, I wore what was once my favorite fragrance (Hermessence Ambre Narguile) the other day, and for the first time, I felt overwhelmed by it's sweetness. And even my once beloved Joop is starting to underwhelm me.

So now I'm thinking, is this the fate of all of my future purchases? Am I gonna only love them temporarily until the next new favorite comes along, and then I'm done with them? I consider that perhaps the composition of some of the frags have changed, since I don't store them in a fridge like some of you, so the smell has deteriorated some. I dunno.

Anyways, does anyone else share my frustration? What am I to do?

Default Re: Falling out of love with many of my fragrances!

Such is the life of fragranceheads like us! The more we experience the more our tastes change. I can't count the number of times I've disliked a particular scent when I started off in this hobby but now deem that same fragrance a masterpiece. One of the best things about this hobby/obsession is that it never gets boring - there's always something new to smell.

I've come to realize that I never get tired of fragrances that provide a specific memory or emotional connection. I recently acquired a vintage bottle of Calvin Klein Obsession for Men (I loved this stuff as a teenager in the early 90's). The second I smelled it again I was immediately taken back to my high school days. Incredible.
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears." - Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois EDP, Chanel Egoiste Platinum, Creed Green Irish Tweed, YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, YSL Opium Pour Homme EDP, Comme des Garcons Kyoto, Acqua di Parma Oud, Slumberhouse Jeke, Xerjoff Fars and Xerjoff Gao

The scents I outgrow I will still keep and occasionally wear them during those "just lounging around the house" days. Most of them carry nice memories so are worth the wear simply for nostalgia.

I would advise staying off forums like basenotes. You'll be corrupted with concerns about batch variations, reforumulations, and dissatisfaction with just about every fragrance out there.

I haven't reached that level of frustration yet. If I felt the way you currently do, I could see myself doing exactly what you did. At least others could enjoy what I once did.

What did Dante say: "love is always either on the increase or decrease...it's never stable." I guess, like everything else based on emotion and subjectivity, your attraction to scents can ebb and flow based on a myriad of internal/external factors. I too have been in lust with many perfumes, and over time, we have grown apart. But, after a brief break and seeing other 'people,' I often find myself trying it again and finding a brand new reason to love it.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Dioressence

I was obsessed with this frag last year. I spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars
    to snatch up several bottles. I now have a HUGE collection of vtg Dioressences.
    The only frag I wore more last year was my beloved Poison.
    And what happens? I fell outta love with her. Just like that.
    Don't get me wrong, I still adore her, but, I rarely wear her anymore. She just
    doesn't speak to me like she used too. Sad really. I hope I'll find my love for her
    again. She deserves it ... I deserve it! Ō rage! Ō désespoir! Ō mon amour trahi!

This happens to all of us. Like friends and acquaintances, we grow and outgrow them.

Some friends become lovers--and lovers for life. (Mine are Shalimar, Jicky, Vol de Nuit and Chanel Cuir de Russie.)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by spcmiller View Post
    What did Dante say: "love is always either on the increase or decrease...it's never stable." I guess, like everything else based on emotion and subjectivity, your attraction to scents can ebb and flow based on a myriad of internal/external factors. I too have been in lust with many perfumes, and over time, we have grown apart. But, after a brief break and seeing other 'people,' I often find myself trying it again and finding a brand new reason to love it.
    +1 Well said indeed.

Ebay welcomes unloved frags.

"Give me your tired, your naff, your unused flacons..."

Blog Entries

Just like a beautiful woman....eventually you grow tired of her
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

I don't really fall out ove love with a single scent perce - I've fallen out of love with niche as a whole. At the end of the day NO FRAGRANCE gives me as much pleasure as the old standbys. Especially vintages

Banned

@ Le Grand Duc - you are always entertaining, in addition to being cogent, but you outdid yourself today with Barbra's accompaniment ...

It happens... I used to use Terre d'Hermes and Aventus frequently but these days rarely reach for them. I sold off a few others I stopped using a few months ago... and I don't miss them. I've noticed I've tended to lose interest in the ones that are more synthetic, for example the iso-e super in TdH is getting more annoying and less interesting. I seem to retain my enthusiasm for ones that are predominantly natural, or at least don't use synthetics as a noticeable and featured note in the frag like TdH does.

For me, having a lot of choices avoids boredom. I don't spray anything one unless I'm interested in wearing it. If there is any doubt, I won't wear it.

I have my constants but falling out of love happened numerous times to me too. It's good to know that I usually can at least swap or sell them and I tend to go for small bottles because of that.

Basenotes Member

I'd see this as a blessing, you're finally coming off your addiction. Your wallet will be happy

Have not fallen out of love with any of them (yet) but some of the ones I merely like do have to battle to keep their place in my wardrobe.

This happens to those of us that have a large collection.....Hold on to those fragrances that are not moving You right now.....The Love for them will return!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I would advise staying off forums like basenotes. You'll be corrupted with concerns about batch variations, reforumulations, and dissatisfaction with just about every fragrance out there.
    Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    It happens... I used to use Terre d'Hermes and Aventus frequently but these days rarely reach for them. I sold off a few others I stopped using a few months ago... and I don't miss them. I've noticed I've tended to lose interest in the ones that are more synthetic, for example the iso-e super in TdH is getting more annoying and less interesting. I seem to retain my enthusiasm for ones that are predominantly natural, or at least don't use synthetics as a noticeable and featured note in the frag like TdH does.
    Interestingly enough, I wore my Tdh sample 2 days ago, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I long preferred Declaration L'Essense, but now...I've questioned that. There's a certain smoothness to Tdh that is considerably more mature smelling than Dec L'Ess, and it is satisfying, in a different way. May have to do a side by side tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Synth View Post
    I'd see this as a blessing, you're finally coming off your addiction. Your wallet will be happy
    Umm...not exactly. The addiction still exists, and will continue, most likely. I will only seek to find fragrances that I believe I will love indefinetely...

It's funny how I use to love Hypnose, yet seldom ever wear it anymore. I may have to wear it for a few days consecutively do get reacquainted. Maybe I will indeed fall back in love. Same goes for the rest of my frags. Man. I've neglected so many of my frags. I gotta do better...

I elected to get rid of Hypnose also so I can see where your coming from. Sounds like to me your getting burned out a bit on fragrances. Take a break and come back with a renewed vigor.

Nah, not burned out at all. I still love my Reflection, L'homme Sage, and Gucci Pour Homme 2, among others...

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    This happens to those of us that have a large collection.....Hold on to those fragrances that are not moving You right now.....The Love for them will return!!!
    Gary
    Just about every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Nah, not burned out at all. I still love my Reflection, L'homme Sage, and Gucci Pour Homme 2, among others...
    Well you have great taste in fragrances so that's not the problem. Just go on a sampling binge and your bound to find something that'll ignite the senses. Just make sure you pay the bills first.

Point to ponder, like acjigga was saying about Obsession. Hang onto them cuz could be with some they might become 'vintage' in as few as two maybe three years. Then trying to get one back will be spensive!

Most of the time I joke in threads about Brut and Old Spice and I am joking with respect to the OP. But in reality those genuine formulations are really hard to find even if still inexspensive. I have a pal who always brings me back a bottle of Old Spice from India when he goes home to visit. That's the real McCoy stuff. So don't be impetuous few years from now you'll get nostalgic about something an wish you hadn't. My 2p's

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    Gary
    I agree! I have fallen in love an out of love and then grown to appreciate several fragrances. Of you loved it once, you will likely never fall completely out of love. Give it some time. Divorce can be good, but after a while the friendship can return. Time heals. After the divorce, just play around with the others to keep yourself satisfied. ;-) It never hurts to experience things you have never even contemplated! Try something dirty!
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Just buy small decants nxt time. Variety is the spice of life!

That's why we have swap forum.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Take a break for a few weeks...if you can.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    I don't really fall out ove love with a single scent perce - I've fallen out of love with niche as a whole. At the end of the day NO FRAGRANCE gives me as much pleasure as the old standbys. Especially vintages
    More and more I am feeling this way.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You know, it's funny you listed brit and hypnose because I fell out of love with those faster than anything...maybe you're just finding what's more appealing to you and when you experience better you realize it. But at the same time, I've come back to fragrances I grew out of love with and experienced them new again and better than ever, so maybe just give it time.

Dependent

I've been at this 10 months and so far my opinion of scents has never gone downward, only upward with time as I learned to like one here and there. But I came into this with developed taste and a naturally decisive and opinionated nature. Every time I delve into my wardrobe I'm reminded of how awesome my taste is. I wonder how I will feel years from now. Probably the same.

I've never loved any scent, though I've greatly liked wearing some.
    If I wear any scent for three days in a row, I'll get bored with it - and any great liking I had for it starts to wane.
    So I just rotate a hell of lot.

Your giving away Blue Jeans, Cuba Gold, Cuba Black I can easily understand - they are somewhat linear and/or lacking in richness and/or seem second rate compared to scents they are emulating. But giving away Pi, Desire Red, and Mambo makes little sense to me, especially Pi - Pi is an over the top sweet scent.
    Regards,
    Renato

I think we plateau as some have said. At some point you've smelled almost all the good stuff (good for you), and it's diminishing returns on whatever is still out there.

Thankfully, I still experience, at least in terms of some of my frags, the phenomenon of "falling in love again", I can hardly stop myself to refrain the positive and loving feeling for most of the fragrances I own, it often happens almost unwillingly and randomly, but with a nevertheless happy and gratifying outcome

It has happened to me twice now, but I'm back on that love train.

Cmax...

Yes. This is part of why I increasingly favour very fleeting fragrances. There is nothing to get tired of - just a burst of something very pleasant, then nothing. Perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Lately, it seems I have little interest in wearing several of my fragrances. And on the occassions that I do, the experience is less pleasant than it once was, and I consider whether I even want to hold on to these fragrances. It's a bit frustrating, actually. Today I put on my L'Artisan Havana Vanille. This was my first $100+ scent. Loved it at first, but today? Not so much. Maybe I over-applied, but it's a bit overwhelming, and even a little cloying. I wore Brit the other day. My first precious Burberry. And somehow, I was just really lukewarm about it. Same goes for it's sibling "The Beat". Lancome Hypnose use to be one of my top 5 scents. I can't even remember the last time I wore that thing!

A few months ago I gave away several fragrances to a fragrance newb friend. They were fragrances that I simply never even feel tempted to reach for (Pi, Blue Jeans, Desire Red, Cuba Gold, Cuba Black, and Mambo). Part of the reason, I believe, is that as I have considerably grown in my familiarity with fine & sophisticated fragrances, I am liking the more simple fragrances less and less. But heck, I wore what was once my favorite fragrance (Hermessence Ambre Narguile) the other day, and for the first time, I felt overwhelmed by it's sweetness. And even my once beloved Joop is starting to underwhelm me.

So now I'm thinking, is this the fate of all of my future purchases? Am I gonna only love them temporarily until the next new favorite comes along, and then I'm done with them? I consider that perhaps the composition of some of the frags have changed, since I don't store them in a fridge like some of you, so the smell has deteriorated some. I dunno.

Anyways, does anyone else share my frustration? What am I to do?

Don't worry, Larwiz. That happens quite often after one experiences the beauty that is Invasion Barbare.

All else pales in comparison, even if you haven't realized it yet. This is just your subconscious sending you a message....

I have not fallen out of love but outgrown certain perfumes.
    At the time they were mystical and magical them them became mediocre and melodramatic.

This is a case of taste development.

I also at times cannot stand a certain genre and seek another certain genre with the utmost craving.

I'm craving incense this period and detest florals.
    No worries because sonnet or later I'll crave florals and will be delighTed with my collection once again.

for swap/sale:

I am in a similar situation. I am putting on my swap thread those perfumes which I wouldn't mind if they found a new loving home, and in turn would be replaced by more beautiful, interesting ones. Man, I sound like Madonna going for adoption.
    The ones I am absolutely sure that I have outgrown, those gotta go.
    The ones I feel I could have feelings for again in the future, those may stay.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

i sometimes go off certain fragrances for awhile, but then I come back to them later. Every day is different which is why i feel like i need 100+ fragrances

That was my situation. I got rid of quite a few bottles, and now I'm down to around 6. Aside from those 6, I have a bag of samples and decants. This variety helps keep me from getting bored. I may never get a full bottle again.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by pawful View Post
    Every day is different which is why i feel like i need 100+ fragrances
    Is that all you would really need?
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    Ebay welcomes unloved frags.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Just buy small decants nxt time. Variety is the spice of life!
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberije View Post
    That's why we have swap forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    That was my situation. I got rid of quite a few bottles, and now I'm down to around 6. Aside from those 6, I have a bag of samples and decants. This variety helps keep me from getting bored. I may never get a full bottle again.
    IMO it's very evident that this happens a lot. eBay, BNs marketplace, crystal flacon etc. prove this point. It doesn't matter if it's designer or niche, in fact I would beg to say that I mostly see niche frags on the mentioned sites. Falling out a love for a scent is a normal part of this hobby, as is being in a perpetual pursuit of the next thing that will wow us, perfumes are a hell of a drug. Sometimes when we're lucky, we find those scents that are "high grade", they get us loaded every time we use them. Those for us are the must haves in our collection. If you no longer like something you did, get rid of it. I've remedied this situation in my fragrance journey and concur with CanwllCorfe, samples and decants, I too may never get a full bottle again, with the exception of turtle vetiver, vintage M7, tobacco vanille, derby, portrait of a lady, more pure ouds and mukhallats, and 10-15 more.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Don't worry, Larwiz. That happens quite often after one experiences the beauty that is Invasion Barbare.

All else pales in comparison, even if you haven't realized it yet. This is just your subconscious sending you a message....
    Lol! Amouage Reflection >>>>>Invasion Barbare ALL DAY. Lol